PDA

View Full Version : Best way to preserve chrome, paint on steel frame and non-chromed inside?

zmalwo
11-09-2018, 09:57 PM
I'm thinking about ordering a brand new Colnago Master X-Light after waiting for the exact color, size and condition on eBay for month with no luck. what's the best way to preserve the outside and inside of a steel frame? I want that thing to look like brand new after 50 years of every weekend rides.

ultraman6970
11-09-2018, 11:49 PM
IME, at the inside just drop some oil, that will keep the moisture out... as for the outside it depends a lot.

But if you want to play safe with the chrome, just clean with a cotton rag once a week or each two weeks, just to keep the moisture and dust off of it. The problem always come when the owners dont clean it, the humidity gets in the scratches and the thing starts to peel up from the inside. Not saying using polisher, just clean the chrome time to time with a rag.

And if you want to feel safe I would put helicopter tape to the DS chainstay just to avoid nicks in the chrome due to chainslap.

Chrome failure IMO is more because owners left bikes sitting there for years w/o cleaning them even, pits brings water in.. and thats how all starts. Im off topic at ths point so...

Hope this helps :)

m_sasso
11-10-2018, 01:58 AM
One word "wax", use it regularly, like monthly, to seal the pores in chrome and paint and your bike will stay beautiful.

dave thompson
11-10-2018, 09:43 AM
For the inside of steel frames I use FrameSaver, have for many years. Use according to directions, not inside your house (!). Enough in the can to do multiple bikes.

AngryScientist
11-10-2018, 09:53 AM
a good quality automotive wax for all of the exterior surfaces will protect them. the biggest thing is to keep the bike reasonably clean and moisture free on the outside. i think, by far, the biggest killer for bike finishes is sweat. wipe the bike down well and keep the paint clean and it will literally last forever.

obviously, if you get any scratches or nicks in the paint that expose bare metal underneath, quick touch up work will keep rust from forming.

frame saver works well inside the tubes, i have purchased steel frames made in the 80s that were treated with frame saver and the inside of the tubes looks like new. you dont strictly need the "frame saver" product though, there are several marine grade corrosion inhibitors that work just as well if not better and are made to protect steel from salt water environments, which is a much more demanding task than a bicycle frame needs.

zmalwo
11-10-2018, 06:18 PM
Thank you all for the advice!