PDA

View Full Version : Good read

Rudy
11-09-2018, 12:38 AM
Enjoyed Max Leonard's Lantere Rouge so was stoked to find his latest, Higher Calling, at the public library. Always on the lookout for good reads cycling-oriented or not. Toss 'em up!

Clean39T
11-09-2018, 11:17 AM
I'm nearing the end of "Higher Calling" and heartily recommend it as well...a great read...

FlashUNC
11-09-2018, 11:26 AM
The Race Against the Stasi, about an East German cycling team defector. Great stuff.

Rudy
11-09-2018, 07:11 PM
The Race Against the Stasi, about an East German cycling team defector. Great stuff.

Thanks for the beta, Unc! I will track it down.

XXtwindad
11-10-2018, 09:18 PM
It's noteworthy when I see someone reading an actual book. "Sad."

"Prisoners of Geography." Tim Marshall. Random lines drawn on a piece of paper (often by people with no inherent connection to the region) results in strife and bloodshed. Illuminating and well-written.

Esther Perel. The controversial (for some) author gives a very clear-eyed look at the myriad of forces tugging and pulling at modern relationships. Her first book is better.

"Anquetil Alone" Paul Fornel. An elegant homage to the charismatic, stylish, and free-sprited cyclist. Impervious both to the demands of his sponsors and to the mores of the times, the cycling world hasn't seen anyone so unique since. Perhaps Pantani came the closest.

Rudy
11-10-2018, 10:02 PM
It's noteworthy when I see someone reading an actual book. "Sad."

"Prisoners of Geography." Tim Marshall. Random lines drawn on a piece of paper (often by people with no inherent connection to the region) results in strife and bloodshed. Illuminating and well-written.

Esther Perel. The controversial (for some) author gives a very clear-eyed look at the myriad of forces tugging and pulling at modern relationships. Her first book is better.

"Anquetil Alone" Paul Fornel. An elegant homage to the charismatic, stylish, and free-sprited cyclist. Impervious both to the demands of his sponsors and to the mores of the times, the cycling world hasn't seen anyone so unique since. Perhaps Pantani came the closest.

Noted and appreciated, Dad. FWIW, I grew up in a magazine publisher's household, developing early on a bias toward ink on paper. A career as a librarian allowed me (in many cases, demanded me) to share that enthusiasm. Few things finer than a stack of books bedside!

XXtwindad
11-10-2018, 10:14 PM
Noted and appreciated, Dad. FWIW, I grew up in a magazine publisher's household, developing early on a bias toward ink on paper. A career as a librarian allowed me (in many cases, demanded me) to share that enthusiasm. Few things finer than a stack of books bedside!

That's really cool. And very rewarding, I'm sure.

pdonk
11-11-2018, 08:38 AM
Paul Brodie's memoir was a pretty good read if you are interested in mtbs and the thought process of a designer.

I have not read it but Charlie Kelly has a book as well.

Rudy
11-11-2018, 11:47 PM
Paul Brodie's memoir was a pretty good read if you are interested in mtbs and the thought process of a designer.

I have not read it but Charlie Kelly has a book as well.

Those aren't familiar names to me but I do enjoy personal narratives. Thanks for the advice!

pdonk
11-12-2018, 08:07 AM
Those aren't familiar names to me but I do enjoy personal narratives. Thanks for the advice!

Paul Brodie was a frame builder during the 80's and 90's in BC and designed a few interesting things (sloping top tubes is one)

His current passion is retro board racing bikes and weird historic recreations, as well as teaching classes.

http://flashbackfab.com/book-2016/

Charlie Kelly (repack rider here and on other various sites) is a pioneer of mountain biking. His book is Fat Tire Flyer.

https://dirtragmag.com/book-review-fat-tire-flyer-by-charlie-kelly/

Easier to do a detailed reply on a computer, vs phone.

Polyglot
11-12-2018, 01:02 PM
"Round the world on a wheel" by John Foster Fraser. I believe the last publishing was in 1982. Tells the story of the author riding around the world starting in 1896. Quite interesting historical insights. Obviously no longer PC.

5 star rating from me.

"Around the world on a bike" by Thomas Stevens. Similar to the above but relating to a trip on a high wheel starting in 1887. Not quite as well edited as the above but much more detail.

4 star rating from me

Rudy
11-13-2018, 08:04 PM
"Round the world on a wheel" by John Foster Fraser. I believe the last publishing was in 1982. Tells the story of the author riding around the world starting in 1896. Quite interesting historical insights. Obviously no longer PC.

5 star rating from me.

"Around the world on a bike" by Thomas Stevens. Similar to the above but relating to a trip on a high wheel starting in 1887. Not quite as well edited as the above but much more detail.

4 star rating from me

One of those titles I have read, Polyglot. (Cool handle, by the way. How many and which? Restaurant Spanish and Vietnamese about it for me.) At any rate, the one I'm thinking of is a brick: 800 pages, maybe. An American who made his way cross-country before continuing globally.

A picaresque published at the beginning of the twentieth century is Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men on the Bummel. It, too, betrays contemporary notions that we might now find, ah, graceless. Be that as it may, many passages will make the reader laugh until he cries, reread it, and laugh out loud again.

Keep'em comin'!

b33
11-14-2018, 07:16 AM
On the topics of books I finished “bad blood.” Fantastic book on business fraud with some major players falling for the scam.

Polyglot
11-14-2018, 09:08 AM
One of those titles I have read, Polyglot. (Cool handle, by the way. How many and which? Restaurant Spanish and Vietnamese about it for me.) At any rate, the one I'm thinking of is a brick: 800 pages, maybe. An American who made his way cross-country before continuing globally.

The book about the American is the one that I gave the 4 stars to.

I am fluent in English, Dutch, French, German, Italian and Spanish and can get by in a few more.

FlashUNC
11-14-2018, 09:08 AM
Oh and if you haven't read "Tomorrow, We Ride" from Jean Bobet, brother of Louison Bobet, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Rudy
11-14-2018, 09:19 PM
On the topics of books I finished “bad blood.” Fantastic book on business fraud with some major players falling for the scam.

Good call, b! I am a guilty-pleasure true crime buff. The amount of research involved in the best of the genre is ridiculous.

Rudy
11-14-2018, 09:28 PM
Oh and if you haven't read "Tomorrow, We Ride" from Jean Bobet, brother of Louison Bobet, you're doing yourself a disservice.

That sounds cool, Flash! Luison was the first three-time TdF winner, an elegant rider, and evidently a great big bro.

Rudy
11-14-2018, 09:31 PM
I'm nearing the end of "Higher Calling" and heartily recommend it as well...a great read...

Thanks for the second, Clean! Lived in CO for forty years and one of my windmill tilts was riding the high passes. Rubberside down!

Rudy
11-14-2018, 09:38 PM
I'll throw out a peculiar, perfect little book: Bob Voiland's Hurt City. Dude took it on himself to ride all contiguous states and did it. Not quite Robert Pirsig but doggone close.

Bisquik
07-17-2019, 07:34 PM
I made note of these suggestions and some others from older threads. Thanks

I recommend No Hands, Rise and Fall of Schwinn Bicycle by Judith Crown. Not a cyclist book but one about a company, the industry, nepotism and collosal mismanagement.

Rudy
07-17-2019, 10:22 PM
A sad, sad story with a happy ending: Richard Schwinn runs Waterford Precision Bicycles and doing fine.

Bisquik
07-17-2019, 10:48 PM
Yes! It's hard to find a copy but a page turner. Waterford wi all the way