PDA

View Full Version : N+0

dbnm
11-08-2018, 05:27 PM
This is kind of a response to Nick's post (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=229878) here about having only one bike. I too only have one bike, a Moots Vamoots RSL.

I have done upgrades when it makes sense and just can't seem to want to sell this bike. Sure I lust after other bikes but this one just does it for me.

I'm sure there are others here who feel the same way. So let's see your N+0 bike.

AngryScientist
11-08-2018, 05:47 PM
very nice.

if you're going to have one, that is a nice one to have!

Drmojo
11-08-2018, 06:08 PM
you may have a hard time finding other "N+0" folks here.....
just sayin':banana:

Big Dan
11-08-2018, 06:12 PM
No thanks.

Llewellyn
11-08-2018, 06:17 PM
Not N+0 but I am happy with my current stable of four. Each one fills a different role but I guess the minimum I could envisage is two - my Llewellyn which is my grail bike and something for dodgy weather. There's no way I'm taking the Llewellyn out in the rain!!

ultraman6970
11-08-2018, 06:31 PM
If this continues like that my N+0 will be a EM corsa... :P

joosttx
11-08-2018, 06:35 PM
Too much opportunity to have one bike. If I had to cut it to two bikes. I would keep my MTB and Gravel bike.

p nut
If I rode 100% on-road, I could do with something like that. But I ride mountains, snow, dirt/gravel, etc. I “need” at least 4.

R3awak3n
it would be easy to only have 1 bike. But I could not just do a road bike, would have to be a gravel bike. But something like my open, rides amazing both on road and on gravel. Works great for bikepacking.

However, the problem is if your bike breaks... then you can't ride.

Right now I have 4 but could do with 3.

Gravel/Road, Road and Travel couplered. Its perfect. Maybe add a MTB later.

T-Crush
11-08-2018, 06:55 PM
N+0? Heresy.

Dougb
11-08-2018, 06:57 PM
My N+0 is a Wabi Special fixed gear. 17.5lbs of lugged Reynolds steel with Nitto bars and seat post, a Dura Ace 7800 front brake, Dia Compe Gran Compe levers, Fabric saddle and bar tape, and Compass Chinook Pass tires. All I need on the flat island I live on. I keep threatening to do a thread on this bike with more detailed pictures. Hopefully soon I will get around to it.

https://i.imgur.com/04dBpKU_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Matthew
11-08-2018, 08:36 PM
Well if you do happen to sell it I want first dibs on your flag!!!

mhespenheide
11-08-2018, 08:53 PM
Can I be pedantic here?

"N+0" would indicate that you're staying consistent at the number of bikes that you own, N, and that you're not looking to add or subtract any bikes.

"N+1" means that you want another bike, no matter how many bikes you currently have.

"N-1" means that you want to decrease the number of bikes that you have. You're looking to decrease N by one.

"N=1" means that you're at the point where you have one and only one bike.

apologies; math teacher here.

bigbill
11-08-2018, 08:54 PM
I have 4 road bikes and only get to road ride on the weekend. Vast majority of the miles are on the Ti Serotta because it's the no-brainer bike. Record 11, 32 spoke Potatoe wheels with tubeless, and 46cm bars. I also have a BLE which I'll take with me to my viking funeral. I don't want to get rid of the other two either. When daylight permits, my gravel bike (Coconino) sees the most action around here.

If I didn't already have four cool road bikes, I could get by with just the Coconino with two sets of wheels.

Clean39T
11-08-2018, 08:56 PM

True story [emoji3516]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

dbnm
11-08-2018, 09:02 PM
This is the best thing I've read all day.

Thanks guys!

tv_vt
11-08-2018, 09:31 PM
Can I be pedantic here?

"N+0" would indicate that you're staying consistent at the number of bikes that you own, N, and that you're not looking to add or subtract any bikes.

"N+1" means that you want another bike, no matter how many bikes you currently have.

"N-1" means that you want to decrease the number of bikes that you have. You're looking to decrease N by one.

No apologies needed. Just as long as I'm not at "Nx0", I'm good. ;)

booglebug
11-08-2018, 09:58 PM
N+0 is a myth, different bike is like a different route

montag
11-08-2018, 10:30 PM
If this continues like that my N+0 will be a EM corsa... :P

I'm down to just my EM Corsa Extra. My living situation for the foreseeable future limits me (practically) to just one bike, and the thought of selling it to buy another has put a stop to most of my bike shopping.

mhespenheide
11-09-2018, 12:13 AM
I'm down to just my EM Corsa Extra. My living situation for the foreseeable future limits me (practically) to just one bike, and the thought of selling it to buy another has put a stop to most of my bike shopping.

There's something to be envied in that, TBH.

bismo37
11-09-2018, 12:39 AM
In the PNW, I'm thinking at least N=5.

Gotta have a fast, light road bike for dry days.
Gotta have a fendered, non-rusting road bike (Ti, AL, CF) for rain days or commuter rides.

Gotta have a 33-40mm tire gravel bike for dry dirt roads.
Gotta have a fendered gravel bike for the rainy dirt road rides.

Then the 5th is a MTB.

I'm at N=7 because I'm still "researching" the above template. Gotta suss it out a bit more.

likebikes
11-09-2018, 12:52 AM
@dbmn, did you sell your grocery getter?

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=219733

72gmc
11-09-2018, 02:39 AM

Impeccable logic that also explains why I have so many wheels.

saab2000
11-09-2018, 04:56 AM
Probably my Zanconato road bike. Fits and handles perfectly.

PaMtbRider
11-09-2018, 05:33 AM
If the question is what 1 bike am I going to keep if I can only have one, it would be my Co-motion Nor'wester with S&S couplers. It is the most versatile , do it all bike that I have. With the current resale value of bikes I don't see any of my bikes going anywhere anytime soon.

flydhest
11-09-2018, 05:34 AM
Can I be pedantic here?

Thank you for this. I am (correctly defined) an N+0 guy. I do not want any more bikes.

Mhespenheide can you explain the difference between pedantic and didactic? :)

weisan
11-09-2018, 05:47 AM
If the question is what 1 bike am I going to keep if I can only have one, it would be my Co-motion Nor'wester with S&S couplers. It is the most versatile , do it all bike that I have. With the current resale value of bikes I don't see any of my bikes going anywhere anytime soon.

If the question is what 1 bike am I going to keep if I can only have one, it would be my Spectrum Sports Tourer with S&S couplers. It is the most versatile , do it all bike that I have. With the current resale value of bikes I don't see any of my bikes going anywhere anytime soon.

Gummee
11-09-2018, 05:54 AM
If I rode 100% on-road, I could do with something like that. But I ride mountains, snow, dirt/gravel, etc. I “need” at least 4.

Naw man. Ya gotta double that 'just in case' something's broken and you have to go ride with your buddies. Only have 1 mtn bike and a big ride? Don't be 'that guy' and have to bail! Have TWO mtn bikes and keep on riding.

etc

N+0? pass!

M

Tickdoc
11-09-2018, 06:43 AM
I like the "tension" having multiple bikes brings to the relationship. Mine are all road bikes, btw.

Nice looking moots too.

cderalow
11-09-2018, 07:49 AM
I have 2 bikes, but only really need the 1.

My 4 year old CAAD10 road bike with Reynolds assaults.

My 7 year old GT Transeo hybrid that hasn't been ridden more than 20 miles since I got the CAAD10.

I only keep the GT for the random ride with kids, but lately I've taken the CAAD10 for those.

jamesau
11-09-2018, 08:17 AM
Can I be pedantic here?

As a math teacher, you know that N+1=N is nonsense but N/(N+1) does indeed approach 1 at the limit of large N.

Practically speaking, I've about reached that limit for road bikes. Here are the signs:

1) You finally cool to the idea of adding another.
2) When your most recent addition goes unnoticed by your spouse.
3) When your riding buddies take over 30 minutes into a ride to notice the latest.

So then, "N+1=N" loosely means you're not looking to add or subtract bikes and any addition would be superfluous.

Climb01742
11-09-2018, 08:27 AM
Mhespenheide can you explain the difference between pedantic and didactic? :)

Doesn’t your question sorta define it?;)

PS: Isn’t two the fewest logical or practical number of bikes? A sunny day go-fast, pampered one and a crappy weather one?

nobuseri
11-09-2018, 08:31 AM
If the Mrs dropped the hammer, and I could only keep one bike, it would have to be one of my Ti ones in the stable.

It would be a hard choice between my Mosaic or older geo VaMoots. Lots of overlap in those two. RSL is a very nice bike; I just can't get past the aggressive top tube slope in a 62cm. :(

I will probably keep the Mosaic. only because it fits a tad bit better than the VaMoots.

CSKeller
11-09-2018, 10:10 AM
If the Mrs dropped the hammer, and I could only keep one bike, it would have to be one of my Ti ones in the stable.

It would be a hard choice between my Mosaic or older geo VaMoots. Lots of overlap in those two. RSL is a very nice bike; I just can't get past the aggressive top tube slope in a 62cm. :(

I will probably keep the Mosaic. only because it fits a tad bit better than the VaMoots.

Wouldn't it be easier to drop the Mrs than choosing? :bike:

nobuseri
11-09-2018, 10:27 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to drop the Mrs than choosing? :bike:

Ha. I love bikes and riding, but I love the Mrs. that much more. It's a good thing, in this case, that the Mrs. and bikes are apples and oranges. :beer:

notsew
11-09-2018, 11:18 AM
I believe I've found my equilibrium with 4.

Road
Cx/Gravel
Mountain
Commuter/Cargo

One would be possible, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. :banana:

uber
11-09-2018, 06:28 PM
4 bikes, one wife. Much cheaper than the other way around.
Not even close.

Matthew
11-09-2018, 06:40 PM
Same here, four bikes one wife. Would really hate to get rid of any of them. Three road, one mountain. And fortunately she doesn't care that I have four so lucky in that regard.