PDA

View Full Version : PSA: R&A Yard Sale...

AngryScientist
11-07-2018, 05:51 PM
Just saw this.

If you know R&A, this has some potential.

I'm going to try and go...

https://ecp.yusercontent.com/mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgallery.mailchimp.com%2F641 1ca9cd1482d001f887192b%2Fimages%2F3b351ba7-ccf7-4f9e-985e-960023639706.jpg&t=1541634579&ymreqid=9567471a-1d29-46e8-1c8b-7604bd01c400&sig=bgpXxwh4b_gxINHpYeT9FA--~C

For one day only, we're opening the vault and giving you access to over 40 years of top end cycling inventory.

If you've ever stepped into R&A, you'll know we have a treasure trove of cycling's most sought after products. Well, you should see what's out the back..

This is a must do for any cyclist, from collector through to bargain hunter.

- Classic bikes, frames, and parts from brands like Campagnolo, Shimano, Colnago, Bianchi & more.
- Modern from Mavic, Kuota, FSA, Kestrel, Easton & more.

First in, best dressed. I'd get there early if I were you.

thegunner
11-07-2018, 06:09 PM
what day is this?

fmradio516
11-07-2018, 06:13 PM
This saturday 10 am

zzy
11-07-2018, 06:33 PM
Knowing these guys I wouldn't expect any amazing deals. Instead there will be really rare stuff like mavic BBs and crazy panto'd campy bits and the like. They have a pretty insane amount of inventory and never seem to be in a hurry to move it.

weisan
11-07-2018, 06:58 PM
They have a pretty insane amount of inventory and never seem to be in a hurry to move it.

sounded like we have similar business philosophy.:rolleyes:

oldguy00
11-07-2018, 07:26 PM
Knowing these guys I wouldn't expect any amazing deals. Instead there will be really rare stuff like mavic BBs and crazy panto'd campy bits and the like. They have a pretty insane amount of inventory and never seem to be in a hurry to move it.

To their credit, they had an amazing online frameset sale about 1 year ago.

zzy
11-07-2018, 07:30 PM
sounded like we have similar business philosophy.:rolleyes:

If you saw just one of their warehouses you won't be rolling your eyes. They may have the most inventory of any east coast bike shop.

To their credit, they had an amazing online frameset sale about 1 year ago.

Yup, where they did some of the shadiest bait and switches I've ever seen

oldguy00
11-07-2018, 07:33 PM
If you saw just one of their warehouses you won't be rolling your eyes.

Yup, were they did some of the shadiest bait and switches I've ever seen

Care to elaborate? A good friend of mine scored an amazing deal on a Felt IA FRD frameset, literally paid about 30-40% of MSRP. Fast delivery, frame was brand new and perfect.

peanutgallery
11-07-2018, 09:12 PM
Any retailer sitting on that much old bicycle inventory for that long is doomed. Particularly in the NYC market. No matter what they sell it for they're losing tons of $

Always figured them as a front for a cartel or something. Curious setup

echappist
11-07-2018, 09:15 PM
Any retailer sitting on that much old bicycle inventory for that long is doomed. Particularly in the NYC market. No matter what they sell it for they're losing tons of $

Always figured them as a front for a cartel or something. Curious setup

they ship a lot of stuff to Latin America, and apparently these items fetch quite a bit more over MSRP

at least that's what i've been told

zzy
11-07-2018, 09:18 PM
They own a vast swath of Brooklyn real estate, including all the buildings they operate out of. No pressure to sell, and they let it show.

Care to elaborate? A good friend of mine scored an amazing deal on a Felt IA FRD frameset, literally paid about 30-40% of MSRP. Fast delivery, frame was brand new and perfect.

I also bought a frameset at that sale and later posted about my experience here. And I won't mention what I heard directly from a number of people. I don't want to turn this into a nasty thread, but they have a well earned reputation here. However I do bet they will have some cool stuff on Saturday.

Kirk007
11-08-2018, 09:00 AM
Went there in person once to look around, talked to a guy who had been there a long time - Vince I think was his name. Knew a lot about bikes, had some good insights into various frames and companies, enjoyed the conversation. Yeah, he was a NY sales guy and some of the others seemed like they'd be even sharper operators but if you know bikes and you understand the type of person you are working with then I think you'd do fine there - if they have what you want and the price is right. Over the internet, yeah I've heard the bait and switch stories too - wonder if its intentional or more sloppy inventory control (which absolutely seemed the case just looking around and talking with them)

drewski
11-08-2018, 10:23 AM
There was a very tense frenetic energy the last time I was in that shop.
Not my cup of tea.

peanutgallery
11-08-2018, 11:04 AM
When I first started riding a bike somewhat seriously, there a shop nearby that was owned by a retired used car salesman (literally) and his son. This was a 80s schwinn place and they would buy everything schwinn branded under the sun and sit on it for years. Keep in mind that the schwinn catalog at the time would put trek and specialized to shame as far as what they pushed off on dealerships. If you wanted something you had to argue with them for a while. You had to possess a certain amount of self loathing to go in there, get insulted and then fight with the guy. I think he actually enjoyed confrontational interactions with customers. Bike service was about what you'd expect from a used car dealer too. Quite a trip

Tara Schwinn on Tara Blvd outside of the ATL

Road Fan
11-08-2018, 11:34 AM
anyone gonna share the big secret? what and where is R&A? I read the first 5 posts and there's no clue. Is this a "special club" within Paceline, like the secret forums on BF?

It's not a PSA if you don't tell the public. Your little clique is NOT even the "public" here.

peanutgallery
11-08-2018, 11:40 AM
Turn on your googler

anyone gonna share the big secret? what and where is R&A? I read the first 5 posts and there's no clue. Is this a "special club" within Paceline, like the secret forums on BF?

drewski
11-08-2018, 11:52 AM
hint: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/new-version-brooklyn-sign-immortalized-tv-hit-back-kotter-lands-borough-hall-article-1.191375

ultraman6970
11-08-2018, 12:07 PM
One of my friends got a Look from them like 3 years ago maybe, one of those days they put everything like 80% at the web. They got the bad luck he bought one, then they charged the card obviously, then the transaction was cancelled at their side... bad idea... at the end they had to send the bike to him because this dude was not going to take a no as an answer for a mistake they made, which honestly after reading stuff here and there probably was not a mistake but on purpose.

Hope somebody gets good stuff.

oldguy00
11-08-2018, 12:13 PM
They own a vast swath of Brooklyn real estate, including all the buildings they operate out of. No pressure to sell, and they let it show.

I also bought a frameset at that sale and later posted about my experience here. And I won't mention what I heard directly from a number of people. I don't want to turn this into a nasty thread, but they have a well earned reputation here. However I do bet they will have some cool stuff on Saturday.

I found your old post, that does sound pretty crappy. Maybe my buddy got lucky!! I too would be very hesitant to buy from them after your experience.

AngryScientist
11-08-2018, 12:32 PM

It's not a PSA if you don't tell the public. Your little clique is NOT even the "public" here.

I'm not sure if you are serious, but if you are: R&A cycles is a large bike shop located in Brooklyn NY with a very large warehouse collection of interesting and high end bikes in their inventory.

I dont dig the aggressive tone of your post at all. I'm not sure how you think i posted some "big secret", if "R&A CYCLES" is on the image on the first post, and the first hit on a google search for those terms takes you directly to the shops web site. quite secret indeed.

pdmtong
11-08-2018, 12:42 PM
Based on the numerous threads about R&A and the personal experience of a close friend who purchased two frames during the frame sale a year ago, I would have to really really really want something and be sure about it before I picked up the phone

54ny77
11-08-2018, 09:36 PM
40 years of no soup for you.

Would rather order from overseas websites.

Have some acquaintances who've dropped serious coin there, and still, no soup for them.

Fool me once, as the saying goes....