PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating Experience with Hand Pump

efixler
11-06-2018, 07:51 PM
After I voted today, I flatted on my way to work.

Replaced the tube, screwed the end of the Road Drive pump onto the valve and pumped (and pumped). All good.

Unscrewed the pump and the valve core came out with it. Tried to get the valve core tighter, no luck. Gave up after 3 tries.

I learned my lesson -- I'll either avoid or loctite removeable core tubes in the future, but this was super frustrating today.

fmradio516
11-06-2018, 08:35 PM
thats when you stop by Hawthorne Valley farms to pick up some tasty snacks.

joosttx
11-06-2018, 08:45 PM

Replaced the tube, screwed the end of the Road Drive pump onto the valve and pumped (and pumped). All good.

Unscrewed the pump and the valve core came out with it. Tried to get the valve core tighter, no luck. Gave up after 3 tries.

I learned my lesson -- I'll either avoid or loctite removeable core tubes in the future, but this was super frustrating today.

I had a similar experience with that pump at the height of an atmospheric river when the temperature was about 45F. I hate that pump as a result.

The Silca Tattico is awesome. I know Silca is hit or miss. This is a hit.

sailorboy
11-06-2018, 08:52 PM

Oh that's nothing. Ask DarrenCT about the day I tried to use his frame pump and snapped the entire valve stem off at the rim. Immediately went home and purchased a lezyne with the flexible hose thats stored inside it.

R3awak3n
11-06-2018, 09:08 PM
get a frame pump my man... all your problems will be solved, you will wish for flats (this is a joke, you still won't).

All mini pumps are garbage.. I have road drive which is apparently the best mini pump... its crap. I just bought a crank bros klik which is also apparently awesome... its fine but nothing like a frame pump (only reason I have been trying mini pumps is because frame pump doesnt work so well on my open)

R3awak3n
11-06-2018, 09:09 PM
I had a similar experience with that pump at the height of an atmospheric river when the temperature was about 45F. I hate that pump as a result.

The Silca Tattico is awesome. I know Silca is hit or miss. This is a hit.

the impero is a miss so hard for me to believe the tattico is a hit

joosttx
11-06-2018, 09:10 PM
the impero is a miss so hard for me to believe the tattico is a hit

Cannot argue with you on the first part. But do not blame for feeling the way you do.

efixler
11-06-2018, 09:14 PM
I didn't mention this explicitly in the first post, but the pump was actually a Lezyne Road Drive, the one where the hose screws in.

efixler
11-06-2018, 09:15 PM
The Silca does look cool.

joosttx
11-06-2018, 09:15 PM
I didn't mention this explicitly in the first post, but the pump was actually a Lezyne Road Drive, the one where the hose screws in.

That the one I was using. I have heard others that had the same problems

pbarry
11-06-2018, 09:20 PM
thats when you stop by Hawthorne Valley farms to pick up some tasty snacks.

:) Great place, awesome food, nice people. I worked there long ago.

R3awak3n
11-06-2018, 09:26 PM
Cannot argue with you on the first part. But do not blame for feeling the way you do.

I have not used it so I can't really comment on it but man, the impero really was a big disappointed for me. I will believe you on the tattico, will have to try it some day.

AngryScientist
11-06-2018, 09:28 PM
i know i've posted this image 1000 times before, but i like the lezyne pump and system. to me it works well, and i like the flex hose idea.

anyway, yes, the loose core can be a problem, but part of my little flat kit i keep a small multitool with a pliers specifically to tighten valve cores if i need to. i've used that little tool for a bunch of other stuff too, so it's great to have and weighs almost nothing.

that said, i understand the frustration. it sucks when you just want to get on with fixing a flat and get back on the road and things just go wrong. i hear ya.

https://instagram.fewr1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/vp/ba75ebacac37bb5b8f3e70c141636480/5C86EE8C/t51.2885-15/e35/21909696_365446660552130_1487004663847845888_n.jpg

joosttx
11-06-2018, 09:28 PM
I have not used it so I can't really comment on it but man, the impero really was a big disappointed for me. I will believe you on the tattico, will have to try it some day.

I rebuilt my impero soaking this leather thing in leather conditioner thinking why cannot the tattico be a frame pump.

R3awak3n
11-06-2018, 09:35 PM
I rebuilt my impero soaking this leather thing in leather conditioner thinking why cannot the tattico be a frame pump.

ahaha, well, hopefully silca is reading this.

I will be honest with you, you are not the first person that says the tattico is a pretty good mini pump. Do you have the one with the bluetooth pressure reader?

Dino Suegiù
11-07-2018, 01:16 AM
I have used the Silca Tattico for a year and a half and it has been excellent so far. Very reliable, easy to use, well-designed and sturdy. It is very elegant looking, also.

It is not the fancier Bluetooth version (who cares about that really?). The basic pump works very well.

Peter P.
11-07-2018, 04:50 AM
The OP needs a pump that does NOT thread on to the valve, but uses a thumblock.

jamesau
11-07-2018, 05:06 AM
OP, I understand your frustration.

Newer Lezyne pumps have an air bleed button on the hose. After pumping up the presta-valved tire, bleed the air from the hose before you unscrew it; this will make it less likely for the core to unscrew too.

Also, a presta valve core removal tool takes up negligible room in the seatpack.

gemship
11-07-2018, 05:47 AM
Are CO2 cartridges out of trend? I'll admit I don't ride much but I can recall taking many rides on clinchers and that one day came where I had to change a tube and out of my cycling shirt pockets came my spare tube and a small kit in a bag. Three plastic tire irons, a nipple to engage the cartridge to the tube valve stem. Just screw in the cartridge and as it was pierced by that nipple adapter thingy it let out all the CO2 goodness where it belongs in the tube. Easy peasy and I made it back home 12 miles away. I had that kit unused for the longest time and it worked like a charm the one time I needed it too. If you ride a full suspension mt. bike then really its only that option or the mini pump which would suck to carry around. I dunno maybe I'm missing something but CO2 cartridges are reliable, cheap enough and compact so what am I missing? Or is it a preference, make the world greener thing?

speedevil
11-07-2018, 05:59 AM
I dunno maybe I'm missing something but CO2 cartridges are reliable, cheap enough and compact so what am I missing? Or is it a preference, make the world greener thing?

CO2 is great when you have a single flat, for the second - not so much. If you ride where thorns are prevalent, 2 flats may not be all that unusual. Would you use your only CO2 cartridge to help another cyclist? If you do, you're SOL if you flat later.

Pumps, while being bulkier, don't have a one-use limitation. Unless you break them.

Bike touring seems a better fit for pumps too.

For the OP - I've had valve cores come loose removing a pump head too. I just put a presta valve core tool in the pack, it only weighs a few grams.

SlowPokePete
11-07-2018, 06:12 AM
Also, a presta valve core removal tool takes up negligible room in the seatpack.

Ding Ding Ding!

That's what I do...

SPP

gemship
11-07-2018, 06:13 AM
CO2 is great when you have a single flat, for the second - not so much. If you ride where thorns are prevalent, 2 flats may not be all that unusual. Would you use your only CO2 cartridge to help another cyclist? If you do, you're SOL if you flat later.

Pumps, while being bulkier, don't have a one-use limitation. Unless you break them.

Bike touring seems a better fit for pumps too.

For the OP - I've had valve cores come loose removing a pump head too. I just put a presta valve core tool in the pack, it only weighs a few grams.

All good points but CO2 cartridges take up little space. Maybe carry two or three of em? However if I was touring then it's a no brainer I would have to have a full size portable pump. I do ride my mt. bike where thorns are everywhere and I have so many holes in my tubeless tires it's crazy, mid fat tire bike by the way. However that's what the sealant is for. In fact at this point I have only freshened up the tire with more sealant once but I would bet that tire to be a loss if I didn't run without sealant and I live so close to the trails I don't even bother with bringing tubes or tire changing tools. Tubeless and sealant to me seem like a almost impossible combo to beat but I am definitely not touring and I ride on platform pedals so if I have to hoof it home no biggie. I will second having a presta valve core tool, it's small, and cheap enough. Good to have cause you need it just to add sealant for example.

efixler
11-07-2018, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the tip on the air bleed button. I thought that it was just for releasing air from the tire (which isn’t a super high priority when using a mini)

At the very least it looks like I’ll be better prepared for my next flat.

Lionel
11-07-2018, 08:15 AM
Ding Ding Ding!

That's what I do...

SPP

Same here. Never ride without the 2g plastic black core removal tool.

efixler
11-07-2018, 08:16 AM
Honestly, I always feel guilty about CO2. It just wasteful.

I do carry it, however, when I’m on the gravel bike and likely to alter tire pressure while riding - it’s just lots faster, and a cartridge lasts a long time when used just for topping up.

When I’m just thinking about flats I carry the pump.

572cv
11-07-2018, 08:35 AM
I have used the Silca Tattico for a year and a half and it has been excellent so far. Very reliable, easy to use, well-designed and sturdy. It is very elegant looking, also.

It is not the fancier Bluetooth version (who cares about that really?). The basic pump works very well.

Same here.... and in my case, the baseline Tattico replaced an Impero which I could never get comfortable with. But the Tatt has a hose and a nice clamp-on-the-valve design. Works.

chiasticon
11-07-2018, 08:54 AM
Newer Lezyne pumps have an air bleed button on the hose. After pumping up the presta-valved tire, bleed the air from the hose before you unscrew it; this will make it less likely for the core to unscrew too.DING DING DING DING DING!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

this is exactly what the OP needs to do. seriously, the Road Drive is a GREAT pump. I carry a frame pump and I would gladly trade it for the Road Drive if I had a frame that couldn't take a frame pump. it's that good. but you MUST MUST MUST hit that ABS button before you unscrew the hose from the valve. no need to loctite the core in. no need to carry pliers or a valve core tool to tighten it. just hit the button and unscrew the hose. try it at home. it works.

if somehow you have an old Road Drive without that button, buy a new hose that has it. Lezyne sell them direct, but I'm sure they're available elsewhere too.

Tony T
11-07-2018, 09:10 AM
... loctite removeable core tubes in the future, but this was super frustrating today.

Yes, only needs to happen once, then all tubes have the core loctited and tightened before storage.
(Hitting the ABS button, or unscrewing the hose from the pump doesn't always work — loctite does)

choke
11-07-2018, 09:19 AM
seriously, the Road Drive is a GREAT pump. I carry a frame pump and I would gladly trade it for the Road Drive if I had a frame that couldn't take a frame pump. it's that good. I agree...the Road Drive works about 95% as well as a frame pump.

but you MUST MUST MUST hit that ABS button before you unscrew the hose from the valve. no need to loctite the core in. no need to carry pliers or a valve core tool to tighten it. just hit the button and unscrew the hose. try it at home. it works.

if somehow you have an old Road Drive without that button, buy a new hose that has it. Lezyne sell them direct, but I'm sure they're available elsewhere too.Unscrewing the pump from the hose accomplishes the same thing. I always put the hose on first and then attach the pump to it and reverse the process when I remove it.

chiasticon
11-07-2018, 09:25 AM
Unscrewing the pump from the hose accomplishes the same thing. I always put the hose on first and then attach the pump to it and reverse the process when I remove it.did not know that! even better! :banana:

oldpotatoe
11-07-2018, 09:33 AM
get a frame pump my man... all your problems will be solved, you will wish for flats (this is a joke, you still won't).

All mini pumps are garbage.. I have road drive which is apparently the best mini pump... its crap. I just bought a crank bros klik which is also apparently awesome... its fine but nothing like a frame pump (only reason I have been trying mini pumps is because frame pump doesn't work so well on my open)

Yup, a press onto the valve type(silca, Balckburn, Zephal, others)..when pumping, wrap hand around valve and end of pump, rest hand against knee..then pump and you won't tear a valve.

NOT like this but hand around other side, rest hand on knee and push pump down toward your hand..can't find a pic.

johnniecakes
11-07-2018, 09:59 AM
I have been using CO2 for at least 15 years and don't understand the reason for hand pump on a road bike. I carry 3 cylinders and 2 tubes in a small pouch under the seat. Much easier than a pump, thread on the cylinder, hold the head on the valve, and gently squeeze the trigger. Back on the road.

MikeD
11-07-2018, 03:58 PM
The OP needs a pump that does NOT thread on to the valve, but uses a thumblock.

Or use tubes that don't have removable valve cores (like most tubes). There's no need for a removable core tube unless you want to inject sealant in them.

For tubeless, I replace clogged valve cores so often, Loctiting them in would be a pain and make them harder to replace. I've rounded off a plastic valve core tool, and purchased a metal one. Better to use a pump with a thumblock.

Mark McM
11-07-2018, 04:59 PM
Or use tubes that don't have removable valve cores (like most tubes). There's no need for a removable core tube unless you want to inject sealant in them.

... Or use valve extenders (for deep rims). Because sometimes replacement tubes are not available with stems long enough, on bikes I ride with deep rims I carry a valve tool, so that valve extenders can be transferred from a flatted tube to replacement tube. As noted previously, a valve tool is small and weighs about 5 grams.

MikeD
11-08-2018, 01:25 PM
i know i've posted this image 1000 times before, but i like the lezyne pump and system. to me it works well, and i like the flex hose idea.

anyway, yes, the loose core can be a problem, but part of my little flat kit i keep a small multitool with a pliers specifically to tighten valve cores if i need to. i've used that little tool for a bunch of other stuff too, so it's great to have and weighs almost nothing.

that said, i understand the frustration. it sucks when you just want to get on with fixing a flat and get back on the road and things just go wrong. i hear ya.

https://instagram.fewr1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/vp/ba75ebacac37bb5b8f3e70c141636480/5C86EE8C/t51.2885-15/e35/21909696_365446660552130_1487004663847845888_n.jpg

Be careful about overtightening. The gasket that seals the valve core to the stem tears easily. Tore one myself. It doesn't need much torque to seal.

benb
11-08-2018, 02:50 PM
You can avoid this by holding the valve stem with the fingers of one hand while using the other hand to unscrew the pump too. Also there is a Mavic plastic valve core tool they ship out free with their valve cores for UST rims that probably weighs less than 1g and can fit in any emergency bag and works a lot better than pliers.

I have a Road Drive and I've had the valve core start to loosen like this once but I just tightened it back down and then removed the pump with more care. :cool: If this is happening it also probably means the threads on the valve and/or the pump are dirty and/or you torqued the pump down too hard on the valve stem.

froze
11-08-2018, 09:39 PM

All mini pumps are garbage.. I have road drive which is apparently the best mini pump... its crap. I just bought a crank bros klik which is also apparently awesome... its fine but nothing like a frame pump (only reason I have been trying mini pumps is because frame pump doesnt work so well on my open)

I agree most mini pumps are crap, they don't even come close to getting to the PSI they claim they do. However I have several mini pumps that work just fine, sure it takes more strokes to get air into a tire then a frame pump, but common sense should tell you that.

I've owned a Road Drive and have no problems with it after using it for 5 years, and of all the mini's I have that one gets to my PSI of 110 (on a rear 23c tire) with less strokes and less physical exertion. What people fail to realize with the Lezyne Road Drive is that they come in 3 sizes, small, medium and large, so they read the raving reviews and get the small one because for the need to be a weight weenie and then due to that you pay the price for getting the small one that won't get to 100 or so and it takes 600 strokes to get to whatever max it can get to. The large one, which is the one I have, instead gets to 110 in 250 strokes.

I also have the Lezyne Pressure Drive mini, this one is more suited for lower pressure tires but I did manage to muscle it to 80 psi which by then I was pretty tired, I originally use this for my MTB but I also use this pump as my emergency backup pump when I tour because those tires I only need 75 max in the rear.

The other mini pump that works good, but not as well as the Road Drive, is the Topeak Racerocket HP, but this one takes about 400 strokes to get to 110 psi and with more exertion toward the end vs the Road Drive. I've had this one for about 8 years.

This next pump I have is no longer made, and it's the SKS Wese Carbon Raceday, this is my only direct connect pump, meaning there is no hose. This pump is my smallest and lightest, but it does get to 110 psi in about 310 strokes, if my memory serves me correctly. This one the barrel gets quite hot but that's because CF doesn't dissipate the heat well at all. This pump was a warranty replacement after an SKS Puro blew out the top and bottom of the pump after it got to around 45 psi, and that took a huge effort on my part to get that thing to reach 45 and then BOOM!

The other pump I have is not a true mini regardless what Topeak says it is, it's more of a half frame pump, and that's the Road Morph G (G means gauge). This one gets to 110 in about 160 strokes quite easily, but it's also heavy and ugly, and the mounting system sucks. This was my original main pump for my touring bike, but I didn't like the looks of it so I got the below pump for the main pump

The next pump I have is the Zefal HPX full frame pump, I have one from the early 80's that barely puts out air anymore, so I bought the newest one this year and that works better than the Topeak Road Morph! I haven't tested it to 110 because I use it on my touring bike which I only take it to 75, but it has larger volume tires, but I haven't yet bother to count the strokes, if anyone's interested on the strokes to 110 in a 23c tire I can do that.

My last pump is an old Silca Impero with a Campy head, I used this one quite a bit before I got my first Zefal, it's still puts out air better than the old Zefal does, and it's in almost new condition, and because it's almost new condition I have retired it to a bookshelf. I wanted a sturdy pump to beat dogs with while training so I got the Zefal, but I saved the Silca for racing events, of course this was back in the day before mini's. The Silca, and the old Zefal had no issue getting 110 psi and did so fairly quickly from what I can remember at around 50 strokes.

I had another mini pump called the Torelli (I can't recall the model) this thing was really small, the smallest pump I've ever had, but the darn thing could get to 95, I threw this out when after about 8 years when it blew a gasket.

I've had at least another dozen mini pumps that all failed to get to even 75 psi not alone their advertised 160, I don't believe any mini, not even the large Road Drive will get to 160, saying crap like that for me is false advertising, but for some reason they're allowed to throw out those high and false psi ratings. Even the Topeak Road Morph won't get to 160 because it finally wouldn't go any further for me when I got to 140 to 142. Those dozen plus pumps I got I sent them all back and got my money back or exchanges, I just kept doing that till I found a pump that worked!

I don't believe there are more than 5 maybe 6 mini pumps on the market that can reach 110 psi. These next ones I don't own but I've heard that the Airace Mini Veloce; Pro (which is Shimano) Bike Tool pump (which looks almost like the Lezyne Road Drive with a few added bezel cuts but there have been a few problems with durability however that could be user error); Birzman Infinite Road (I own a Birzman floor pump and it's very well constructed so maybe this mini is too?); and the Truflo Road CNC (which looks exactly like the Lezyne Road Drive large and thus they probably work similar). Those are about it, I've may missed one maybe two.

I haven't had any issues with any of my pumps taking out the valve core

If anyone wants any more information on any of the pumps I own I'll be glad to answer them.

fiamme red
11-08-2018, 10:09 PM
I wanted a sturdy pump to beat dogs with while training so I got the Zefal, but I saved the Silca for racing events:)

Tony T
11-09-2018, 03:10 AM
I had another mini pump called the Torelli (I can't recall the model) this thing was really small, the smallest pump I've ever had, but the darn thing could get to 95, I threw this out when after about 8 years when it blew a gasket.

I have a BARBIERI NANO AIR MINI-PUMP that fits that description.

https://www.all4cycling.com/shop/images/miniPomp-nano-barbieri-13.jpg

I really liked their slightly larger mini pump until a blown gasket seal on the valve left me stranded (I then switched to Lenzene road drive)

oldpotatoe
11-09-2018, 06:25 AM
If anyone wants any more information on any of the pumps I own I'll be glad to answer them.

LOTZ snipped..I'm always impressed by somebody that can type..:)

R3awak3n
11-09-2018, 07:49 AM
Nice post froze!

A lot of good options and you are right about road drive. The large has. Big enough brrel to work but does not fit in a jersey pocket.

Also to me, any more than 100 strokes is too much. Frame pumps I do 80 max. When I only rolled with a mini pump, I had a flat almost st the end of the ride (still far enough that walking was not an option). Was 100 degrees out and there I was, so tired and trying to pump my ite with this small blackburn. That was the last day I ever carried a mini pump (well until last week but this crank bros pump is a bit bigger than a mini pump and works ok actually)

PaMtbRider
11-09-2018, 08:25 AM
I have a few models of the lezyne pumps across several bikes. Even using the air bleed screw I have had a valve core come out. I bought a Silca Tattico and think it is superior to the Lezyne. It is not as small and blingy as my carbon road drive but in use it functions better.

froze
11-09-2018, 09:04 AM
Nice post froze!

A lot of good options and you are right about road drive. The large has. Big enough brrel to work but does not fit in a jersey pocket.

Also to me, any more than 100 strokes is too much. Frame pumps I do 80 max. When I only rolled with a mini pump, I had a flat almost st the end of the ride (still far enough that walking was not an option). Was 100 degrees out and there I was, so tired and trying to pump my ite with this small blackburn. That was the last day I ever carried a mini pump (well until last week but this crank bros pump is a bit bigger than a mini pump and works ok actually)

No doubt the frame pump is the way to go to ease of pumping, but that new Zefal I bought is heavy at just over 10 ounces, but it's a tank too; but the point is someone who spends money to get a 14 to 18 pound bike isn't going to want to add 1/2 a pound of pump!

I use to live in the Mojave Desert area of California, so I know all about heat, at the time I lived there I had the Torelli mini and that thing took a god awful amount of strokes, but it did make it, and I was hot anyways from riding so pumping in the heat wasn't changing much, I would spritz myself with water from my bottle to keep myself cool while pumping. I never counted the strokes on the Torelli but as a guess probably around 500! But the exertion level was fairly low till I got to around 85 and those last 10 pounds were brutal. But again I was being a weight weenie and paid the price. When I first got the Torelli I was averaging about 5 flats a week due to goatheads, so I was getting a daily workout with that thing, but shortly after I got the pump I went with Specialized Armadillo All Condition tires and then I didn't use that pump again for about 2 years!

I will add that even though CO2 is easier I don't want to be bothered with buying my air, plus CO2 bleeds out faster so you have to drain the tire when you get home and refill with normal air. I also don't want to deal with the trash or the recycling of the carts, nor have to remember to restock my seat bag, nor worry about whether or not I have enough air. If I was racing and fixing flats was on me while racing then CO2 is the only thing I would carry due to the speed of it, but since I don't race I have no need for it. The other thing that pisses me off about CO2 users is that I find those damn carts on the side of the road as I ride, really? it's as simple is putting the empty cart into the seat bag or jersey pocket but they have to discard it on the side of the road!

One other thing, I don't carry anything but soft stuff in my jersey pocket, never anything hard like a pump. I knew a guy that crashed his bike and landed on his back where the pump was in his pocket and that pump severely damaged his back which required surgery. I knew another person who had a Walkman on his hip, crashed and severely bruised his kidney. And I knew a guy who was wearing necklace with a cross, crashed and somehow that cross buried itself into his throat just missing his artery which would have caused him to bleed out. So I don't do anything around my body that could cause something strange to happen, thus no pumps or other hard stuff in my pockets.

R3awak3n
11-09-2018, 09:13 AM
No doubt the frame pump is the way to go to ease of pumping, but that new Zefal I bought is heavy at just over 10 ounces, but it's a tank too; but the point is someone who spends money to get a 14 to 18 pound bike isn't going to want to add 1/2 a pound of pump!

I use to live in the Mojave Desert area of California, so I know all about heat, at the time I lived there I had the Torelli mini and that thing took a god awful amount of strokes, but it did make it, and I was hot anyways from riding so pumping in the heat wasn't changing much, I would spritz myself with water from my bottle to keep myself cool while pumping. I never counted the strokes on the Torelli but as a guess probably around 500! But the exertion level was fairly low till I got to around 85 and those last 10 pounds were brutal. But again I was being a weight weenie and paid the price. When I first got the Torelli I was averaging about 5 flats a week due to goatheads, so I was getting a daily workout with that thing, but shortly after I got the pump I went with Specialized Armadillo All Condition tires and then I didn't use that pump again for about 2 years!

I will add that even though CO2 is easier I don't want to be bothered with buying my air, plus CO2 bleeds out faster so you have to drain the tire when you get home and refill with normal air. I also don't want to deal with the trash or the recycling of the carts, nor have to remember to restock my seat bag, nor worry about whether or not I have enough air. If I was racing and fixing flats was on me while racing then CO2 is the only thing I would carry due to the speed of it, but since I don't race I have no need for it. The other thing that pisses me off about CO2 users is that I find those damn carts on the side of the road as I ride, really? it's as simple is putting the empty cart into the seat bag or jersey pocket but they have to discard it on the side of the road!

One other thing, I don't carry anything but soft stuff in my jersey pocket, never anything hard like a pump. I knew a guy that crashed his bike and landed on his back where the pump was in his pocket and that pump severely damaged his back which required surgery. I knew another person who had a Walkman on his hip, crashed and severely bruised his kidney. And I knew a guy who was wearing necklace with a cross, crashed and somehow that cross buried itself into his throat just missing his artery which would have caused him to bleed out. So I don't do anything around my body that could cause something strange to happen, thus no pumps or other hard stuff in my pockets.

I am 100% with you on CO2 for the exact same reasons.

And crazy about carrying a pump in the back pocket and getting into an accident, never thought about that. I do carry my phone in the jersey pocket.
I also just heard about someone getting into an accident and landing on the CO2 cartridge and it exploding and doing some damage.

efixler
11-09-2018, 11:00 AM
I knew a guy who was wearing necklace with a cross, crashed and somehow that cross buried itself into his throat just missing his artery which would have caused him to bleed out.

Oh man that sounds very horrifying.

Dave
11-09-2018, 11:32 AM
I'm sticking with CO2. I now use threaded 16g cartridges and never had a problem. I bought a big box of cartridges online, at a very low price. I carry two of them and two tubes, but I've never had two flats on a single ride. I usually have 3-4 flats in 5,000 miles, which used to be every year. I carry everything I need in my jersey pockets. Even if my replacement knees hold up, I won't be doing 5,000 miles a year anymore.

froze
11-09-2018, 11:36 AM
Oh man that sounds very horrifying.

Yeah, that guy was a friend of mine when I lived in California. He had cell phone called 911 but could barely speak, and a motorist came by about the same time and she put his bike in the trunk and drove him to the hospital. He had a solo crash, hit a rock he didn't see which sent the bike to one side and he couldn't get control and crashed and the cross somehow ended up in his throat missing his artery by about a 1/4 of an inch. He doesn't to this day know what caused that cross to do that. He felt pain in his neck and when he reach for his neck he felt the chain from the cross dangling out of his neck! He was of course freaking out and thought about pulling it out but then he calmed down in time before he did it and thought no it may cause it to bleed a lot worse. Yeah, that's how far that cross went in, it was about an inch long cross, and it buried itself completely with just the chain dangling out of his neck, the base of the cross was just under the surface level of the skin.

I've heard all sorts of weird stuff happen in crashes, including in cars. One guy had a van and wanted better speakers so he mounted, with screws of course, two small box speakers in the rear corners of the van; sometime later he hit someone from behind and one of those speakers went flying off the rear of the van striking him in the back of the head KILLING him! He would have survived just fine if that speaker hadn't came flying off. People don't realize how something small and insignificant can have deadly or near deadly consequences if odd circumstances prevail.

Dino Suegiù
11-09-2018, 12:32 PM
I have a BARBIERI NANO AIR MINI-PUMP that fits that description.

I really liked their slightly larger mini pump until a blown gasket seal on the valve left me stranded (I then switched to Lenzene road drive)
I have one too (the slightly larger one you mention, one size up from "Nano"). Quite good for the size actually, and iirc it was very economical. It takes time of course, but so far the pump has been very reliable.

The Tattico I bought last year is better though, it pumps much more air much more quickly. But, it is too large to fit in a jersey whereas the Barbieri can (although I just clip it to bottle cage with the clip Barbieri supply).

Nice post froze!

{snip}

Yes, very comprehensive.

Tony T
11-09-2018, 01:02 PM
I have one too (the slightly larger one you mention, one size up from "Nano"). Quite good for the size actually, and iirc it was very economical. It takes time of course, but so far the pump has been very reliable.

I have the Nano, but like you, also the slightly larger one I used on the road (until the gasket blew and I now use Lezyne Road Drive)

The BARBIERI includes an extra gasket (the little red disc) and a tool to install — keep this with you. (If I had done so, I would not have been stranded ;))

BTW, the clips BARBIERI uses to attach to the bottle cage works great with my Lezyne (better than what Lezyne uses).

Dino Suegiù
11-09-2018, 03:16 PM
I have the Nano, but like you, also the slightly larger one I used on the road (until the gasket blew and I now use Lezyne Road Drive)

The BARBIERI includes an extra gasket (the little red disc) and a tool to install — keep this with you. (If I had done so, I would not have been stranded ;))

BTW, the clips BARBIERI uses to attach to the bottle cage works great with my Lezyne (better than what Lezyne uses).

Good reminder, thank you.

ScottW
11-09-2018, 04:21 PM
I'm sticking with CO2. I now use threaded 16g cartridges and never had a problem. I bought a big box of cartridges online, at a very low price. I carry two of them and two tubes, but I've never had two flats on a single ride.
Exactly this for me.

I do have a Topeak Micro Rocket CB, which I bought because it seemed cool and weight weenie at something like 55-60g IIRC. Build quality seems pretty nice and it will get the job done, but holy hell does it take forever. Hundreds of strokes, and gets quite difficult approaching 90 psi. Too much like masturbation, but without the payoff. On the one century ride I did this summer I carried it along in my jersey pocket, just for extra backup, which thankfully turned out to be unnecessary.

pdmtong
11-09-2018, 05:46 PM
I use a mini pump (blackburn airstick SL) to stage the tube while I re-insert it, pump as much as reasonable, then finish off with CO2.

https://www.gas-depot.com/

I carry a spare tube, glueless patch kit, glue and patches, and TWO CO2 in case I gaffe the first one.