PDA

View Full Version : OT: eBay woes

joosttx
11-06-2018, 07:46 PM
So, I am a predicament. I won an eBay auction on 10/27. The seller had a 100% rating and USPS tracking number was produced almost immediately. So I was happy and felt comfortable sending $810 to him via PP.

So it is 11/06 and USPS showing that the package has not been shipped. I had corresponded with him. His first excuse was he hadnt had time because of work. His second response was he would put it in the mail on Sunday since the post office is open on Sunday in Chicago. I sent him two more emails. One to confirm he did that and two, today asking him to send the camera ASAP and to refund me the $18.10 expedited shipping fee and that I will alert eBay.

I have alerted eBay. They said wait til Nov 10 and if this does not get resolved then they will get involved.

I want this camera. So I want this guy to ship it. With that said I do not want this guy to steal my $810.

How does this situation get resolved in eBay as I fear that is where it is going? Is he committing wire fraud is this ends bad?

zmalwo
11-06-2018, 07:53 PM
if he doesnt ship by nov10th you can escalate the case and ebay will find it in your favor, then your money will be refunded back to you. Since the case was already opened, it's either he ship it soon or you get your money back.

dbnm
11-06-2018, 07:53 PM
If you paid with paypal, through ebay, then you should be covered. Make sure you call ebay instead of emailing them. They are much more responsive on the phone.

joosttx
11-06-2018, 07:55 PM
If you paid with paypal, through ebay, then you should be covered. Make sure you call ebay instead of emailing them. They are much more responsive on the phone.

good info.

joosttx
11-06-2018, 07:57 PM
What keeps a seller who gets sideways in an auction just not ship the item? eBay suspends him, refunds the money out of their pockets I assume. And the seller gets away with it. Probably to create a new profile and do it again.

Spaghetti Legs
11-06-2018, 08:36 PM
Stay diligent, do not let anything slide and you will get your money back. Do not cancel the eBay case until you have the camera and confirm it is what you paid for. One scammer trick is to delay, delay, then threaten to not ship until you cancel the case or tell ebay it has been resolved. Once it’s cancelled and 30 days pass, then seller is off the hook.

btw eBay will not be out the money. Refund is debited from the eBay sellers PP account.

joosttx
11-06-2018, 08:39 PM
Stay diligent, do not let anything slide and you will get your money back. Do not cancel the eBay case until you have the camera and confirm it is what you paid for. One scammer trick is to delay, delay, then threaten to not ship until you cancel the case or tell ebay it has been resolved. Once it’s cancelled and 30 days pass, then seller is off the hook.

btw eBay will not be out the money. Refund is debited from the eBay sellers PP account.

Thanks. I plan not to give an inch on this. Is there a way I tell ebay I want a camera similar to this one instead of cash. I got a really good deal on this one and dont think a deal as good as this one in the future.

kppolich
11-06-2018, 08:48 PM
You'll be taken care of, eBay and regular paypal always side with the buyer.

idrinkwater
11-06-2018, 10:19 PM
the only possible way that ebay can rule against you is if the tracking info says the shipment was delivered. Messages saying the seller didn't ship would override this. You'll be fine.

jtakeda
11-06-2018, 10:33 PM
Yup youre fine.

Pretty annoying considering you paid to expedite the shipping. My guess is you got TOO good of a deal and the seller was upset and hoping they could bully you into losing interest instead of fighting.

Ebay will not give you a camera--they'll only reimburse you the $ you spent. Chances are theyve already put a hold on the persons account and the money is sitting in Ebay-escrow until the case is resolved.

joosttx
11-06-2018, 10:34 PM
the only possible way that ebay can rule against you is if the tracking info says the shipment was delivered. Messages saying the seller didn't ship would override this. You'll be fine.

The USPS still says it has not been dropped off at a post office to be shipped. So, I think I am good. Thus far. And yes I have in writing admitting he has not shipped it.

zmalwo
11-06-2018, 10:35 PM
Thanks. I plan not to give an inch on this. Is there a way I tell ebay I want a camera similar to this one instead of cash. I got a really good deal on this one and dont think a deal as good as this one in the future.

eBay itself doesn't possess the item, if your seller doesn't ship then the only thing you get is refund.

joosttx
11-06-2018, 10:36 PM
Yup youre fine.

Pretty annoying considering you paid to expedite the shipping. My guess is you got TOO good of a deal and the seller was upset and hoping they could bully you into losing interest instead of fighting.

Ebay will not give you a camera--they'll only reimburse you the $ you spent. Chances are theyve already put a hold on the persons account and the money is sitting in Ebay-escrow until the case is resolved.

Yes I think the seller was expecting a better sell. My max bid was almost $200 more than what I won it for. So I think he is sour and holding it to sell somewhere else.

zmalwo

Even if it says delivered you can still fight the case, eBay will ask you to file a police report stating that you got an empty package. Some ****head on eBay actually did this to me and thought he can get away with it. I'm pretty sure eBay charged right back to his credit card.

pbarry

If it went at auction on the cheap side, it might be seller's remource you are dealing with. :crap:

joosttx
11-06-2018, 10:38 PM
eBay itself doesn't possess the item, if your seller doesn't ship then the only thing you get is refund.

I realize that but how do they make sure a seller actually sells the product at the auction price instead of just keeping it and taking a bad mark. And then starting a new profile.

zmalwo
11-06-2018, 10:39 PM
I realize that but how do they make sure a seller actually sells the product at the auction price instead of just keeping it and taking a bad mark. And then starting a new profile.

Sellers don't get the money until you get your item. As soon as you open a case they put seller's fund on hold. Also if he really did change his mind he can always cancel your order by making up excuses like "I damaged the camera while packaging" or "I lost it yesterday" and no one can do anything about it. in your case I think the seller is really busy, just have patience. either way you will get your money back.

joosttx
11-06-2018, 10:49 PM
Sellers don't get the money until you get your item. As soon as you open a case they put seller's fund on hold. Also if he really did change his mind he can always cancel your order by making up excuses like "I damaged the camera while packaging" or "I lost it yesterday" and no one can do anything about it. in your case I think the seller is really busy, just have patience. either way you will get your money back.

Yeah, but the way I look at it is I am out $300. I won an auction and got a product for $810 where it typically sells for is $1100+. So, I am out $300 if I want the product which I do. So for me to get the product I have to spend $300 more.

jtakeda
11-06-2018, 10:57 PM
Yeah, but the way I look at it is I am out $300. I won an auction and got a product for $810 where it typically sells for is $1100+. So, I am out $300 if I want the product which I do. So for me to get the product I have to spend $300 more.

Thats ebay for ya. Sometimes its awesome, sometime it sucks. Its all about whether the sellers and buyers have integrity. sounds like this guy does not

zmalwo
11-06-2018, 11:07 PM

have you checked the sold listings? if you only look at whats currently on ebay they are all over priced. go to bottom left and click on sold listing and it will give you an idea how much the camera's been sold for on ebay. if you can win the auction this time then it certainly means $810 is usually how much it goes for on eBay.

joosttx
11-06-2018, 11:30 PM
have you checked the sold listings? if you only look at whats currently on ebay they are all over priced. go to bottom left and click on sold listing and it will give you an idea how much the camera's been sold for on ebay. if you can win the auction this time then it certainly means $810 is usually how much it goes for on eBay.

I have been watching for about a year now. Not saying I seen each one go but this was the lowest I ever seen

zmalwo
11-07-2018, 12:55 AM
I have been watching for about a year now. Not saying I seen each one go but this was the lowest I ever seen

Oh wow! So you really were camping for it. Well, I hope your seller ships the item.

Peter P.
11-07-2018, 04:56 AM
The USPS still says it has not been dropped off at a post office to be shipped. So, I think I am good. Thus far. And yes I have in writing admitting he has not shipped it.

All the above advice is very good.

Make sure all correspondence with the seller is through the eBay system so that they can view it-they want to see that you've tried between you and the other party to first resolve the issue before they get involved, and it gives you a solid paper trail.

I went through this once as well.

There is a process on eBay which escalates this to arbitration where eBay is the final say. It can only occur after you have proven through your correspondence that you've tried to resolve the problem yourself. The escalation process is sort of buried their web site but it's a clickable link once you find it.

buddybikes
11-07-2018, 05:33 AM
You are not out 300.00. You bought an item that didn't ship, you get money back from Ebay of what you paid.

Also, consider did you annoy him too much, sounds like 5 emails in 2 days, perhaps he got pissed off... It is only 10 days... Too late now

His bank account will be tagged, I got "scammed" by a guy buying on paypal (not ebay) years ago. I never got item and never got money back, as he had insufficient funds in his account. I fought all kinds of battles but just gave up. 3 years later he contacted me, and said he couldn't couldn't do payments through paypal, so I finally got most of my money back.

good luck, if this is a special camera, just pay the $$ perhaps with a warranty and in the long run you will be enjoying camera and forget about that 300.

weisan
11-07-2018, 06:49 AM
Honestly joosttx pal, I will be a bit more patient and give the seller a bit more time to ship. I know this advice may not be what you want to hear but that's what has worked for me in the past, i have sellers that shipped very quickly, some right the next day and I have sellers that take a much longer time...all in all, they shipped out their items eventually and I never had a "bad" experience. Been on eBay since early 2000...many transactions.

It's your boat, you do what you want, but that's my position.

charliedid
11-07-2018, 07:15 AM
I echo others and think the seller is just lazy. It's hard to cheat ebay and PP.

Curious, which camera?

Also, I am in Chicago if you want I should call my cousins and we go gets yer stuffs for ya. Not a prablem...

You will have the camera or your money back but I get that it was the deal of the century and the next one is more money. That is indeed a bummer if what you get is a refund out of this.

binxnyrwarrsoul
11-07-2018, 07:22 AM
The bay has not been an avenue for me as a seller (I know, me sell stuff, pftt) for a few years, now. And it's been less and less of a reliable, cool place as a buyer. Thinner and thinner protections from scammers, counterfeiters etc. has kept me away. I stalk the classifieds here, better bet I'll find something from a fellow bike nerd here, and it'll arrive as described, and will be authentic. The bay is a wasteland, now.

oldpotatoe
11-07-2018, 07:32 AM
What keeps a seller who gets sideways in an auction just not ship the item? eBay suspends him, refunds the money out of their pockets I assume. And the seller gets away with it. Probably to create a new profile and do it again.

Happens all the time. I 'bought' am Athena crank from a guy in China for like $20...obviously it was a bogus sale..ebay refunded me and the guy disappeared.

R3awak3n
11-07-2018, 07:35 AM
as been said, thats ebay for you.

A few years ago (like a lot of years ago), I got a set of B&W speakers for $360. They were easily worth $1000. The seller shipped them, it was a bad snow year in seattle (as in, there was like 2 in and no one knew what to do), so the speakers ended up being rerouted and rerouted and eventually getting stuck for like a week. I then finally got them and they were destroyed.... Well, for me it was more than the speaker, its the fact that I got them for such a good deal that I could not just get my money back and go out and replace them for the kind of money I got.

joosttx
11-07-2018, 08:21 AM
I echo others and think the seller is just lazy. It's hard to cheat ebay and PP.

Curious, which camera?

Also, I am in Chicago if you want I should call my cousins and we go gets yer stuffs for ya. Not a prablem...

You will have the camera or your money back but I get that it was the deal of the century and the next one is more money. That is indeed a bummer if what you get is a refund out of this.

Sony Rx1

oldpotatoe
11-07-2018, 08:35 AM

Which camera? Just curious.

joosttx
11-07-2018, 10:51 AM
You are not out 300.00. You bought an item that didn't ship, you get money back from Ebay of what you paid.

Also, consider did you annoy him too much, sounds like 5 emails in 2 days, perhaps he got pissed off... It is only 10 days... Too late now

His bank account will be tagged, I got "scammed" by a guy buying on paypal (not ebay) years ago. I never got item and never got money back, as he had insufficient funds in his account. I fought all kinds of battles but just gave up. 3 years later he contacted me, and said he couldn't couldn't do payments through paypal, so I finally got most of my money back.

good luck, if this is a special camera, just pay the $$ perhaps with a warranty and in the long run you will be enjoying camera and forget about that 300.

I checked my sent box. I sent him 4 messages since 10/27. He has sent two to me.

dbnm
11-07-2018, 10:54 AM
My last few auction sales have been really interesting.

Within hours of being paid, I receive messages from the buyers asking me to ship asap for various reasons.

And then a second message comes within 24 hours. One buyer even wrote me about every 12 hours asking for a tracking number.

charliedid
11-07-2018, 01:36 PM
Sony Rx1

Thumbs Up (I had a hunch)

JWDR
11-07-2018, 04:50 PM

Doing the above and sorting by price took about thirty seconds to see the price paid was inline with many other won auctions.

I’m sure there will be another one listed and sold shortly for about the same price.

dbnm
11-07-2018, 05:51 PM
I bought some tires two days ago. I asked today about when the tires would ship.

Just got this
"Hi, I apologize for my late reply, but I work nights, and am in the middle of my rotation. I will update the tracking later, and it should send an email update. Sorry again for the later reply. If you need anything else feel free to contact me. Take Care"

Does not say if they have shipped or even when that might happen.

Waldo
11-07-2018, 06:16 PM
Contracts 101: Buyer is entitled to specific performance (delivery of the camera), irrespective of whether he got a deal or overpaid.

happycampyer
11-07-2018, 07:33 PM
Contracts 101: Buyer is entitled to specific performance (delivery of the camera), irrespective of whether he got a deal or overpaid.
Reality 101: good luck trying to enforce specific performance. eBay (and other online sales venues, including the classifieds here) work great when people are honest and behave with integrity. The OP is lucky the seller didn’t ship him a brick, and claim that he did ship the camera (“See, here’s the tracking number—the buyer is trying to scam me!”).

Many years ago, I sold a high-end camera (Contax RTS III) through eBay, and I had a reputable camera shop check the camera before I listed it. The camera was in pristine condition. The buyer paid several hundred $$ over what was then the normal sale price for the camera. When the camera arrived, the buyer claimed that the camera was non-functional, and returned it for a refund. When I sent the camera in for repair, the part that needed replacement was something like $300 (not including labor). I’m pretty sure that the buyer swapped the part from my camera for the broken part in a camera the buyer owned. Of course, there was no way to prove it.

joosttx
11-07-2018, 09:02 PM
I bought some tires two days ago. I asked today about when the tires would ship.

Just got this
"Hi, I apologize for my late reply, but I work nights, and am in the middle of my rotation. I will update the tracking later, and it should send an email update. Sorry again for the later reply. If you need anything else feel free to contact me. Take Care"

Does not say if they have shipped or even when that might happen.

"I have not shipped it yet, I am sorry to admit. I run an event space and had a very draining Monday through Wednesday. I will ship it today"

That was last Thursday (bought it on a Saturday).

Waldo
11-08-2018, 12:03 AM
Reality bites, but OP is entitled to expect what he bargained for.

Reality 101: good luck trying to enforce specific performance. eBay (and other online sales venues, including the classifieds here) work great when people are honest and behave with integrity. The OP is lucky the seller didn’t ship him a brick, and claim that he did ship the camera (“See, here’s the tracking number—the buyer is trying to scam me!”).

Many years ago, I sold a high-end camera (Contax RTS III) through eBay, and I had a reputable camera shop check the camera before I listed it. The camera was in pristine condition. The buyer paid several hundred $$ over what was then the normal sale price for the camera. When the camera arrived, the buyer claimed that the camera was non-functional, and returned it for a refund. When I sent the camera in for repair, the part that needed replacement was something like $300 (not including labor). I’m pretty sure that the buyer swapped the part from my camera for the broken part in a camera the buyer owned. Of course, there was no way to prove it.

harlond
11-08-2018, 05:17 AM
Contracts 101: Buyer is entitled to specific performance (delivery of the camera), irrespective of whether he got a deal or overpaid.Well, generally don't you have to prove that money damages would not adequately compensate before you can get specific performance? Here, since the identical camera is readily obtainable (though perhaps at a higher price, an element of damage you can't get from eBay), money damages seem adequate.

nalax
11-08-2018, 08:45 AM
OP - hope this resolves for you soon

Happycamper - just curious, what part of the Contax was taken? Things like this make me leery of listing packaged items. I once sold a new pair of shift levers and threw in a new cable set just to be nice. Buyer said levers didn't work, returned them and kept the cables. I retested the levers, sold them and the new buyer said they were great.

For camera stuff on ebay, I tend to buy from real camera stores and combine with the frequent promos. Recently I have been carefully buying and selling on Fred Miranda.

bward1028
11-08-2018, 01:51 PM
https://keviniscooking.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Honey-Balsamic-Roasted-Brussels-Sprouts1.jpgeBay is worse than Brussels sprouts.

azrider
11-08-2018, 02:43 PM
https://keviniscooking.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Honey-Balsamic-Roasted-Brussels-Sprouts1.jpgeBay is worse than Brussels sprouts.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/25/75/6d/25756d834ba20b08dace9c2f5bd731f9.jpg