PDA

View Full Version : OT: Tacoma vs 4Runner - your thoughts/experiences sought!

jcs7282
11-06-2018, 10:00 AM
Hey all, I know there's been a streak of motorized vehicle-related threads of late, so I hope you don't mind seeing another.

Currently I am "on the fence" in making a new vehicle decision, so figured I would try reaching out to this group since there are usually a lot of useful opinions/insights shared in prior vehicle threads which I have read/contributed to in the past.

Candidates are a new Toyota Tacoma Double Cab vs a 4Runner...probably going TRD Off Road trim in both cases, FWIW.

Relevant background on me as it impacts this decision: I have a young family (2 boys, 3 and 6), we are all short <5'7" (for now, boys are TBD!), my commute is brief (fuel economy not a huge concern, but I don't want a total gas guzzler), and I actually have use for a truck bed as I maintain our yard myself and scavenge firewood on an ongoing basis. Currently driving a rust-bucket '02 GMC Sierra 1500 ext cab and a '09 Versa hatch, which serve workhorse and general driving/commuting duties, respectively. My wife has a '16 Outback, so that's our nice road trip/family car.

Here is how I am looking at things:

Taco Pros:
Could be a do-it-all vehicle (if needed, get a small trailer for heavy yard/firewood work)
More modern interior amenities vs 4Runner
Slightly better fuel economy vs 4Runner
Generally better exterior appearance vs 4Runner (IMO, YMMV)
Better modern features (adaptive cruise, crash avoidance, etc.)

Taco Cons:
Back seat seems slightly more cramped vs 4Runner
Slightly louder, more "truck like" on highway (duh/IMO)

Runner Pros:
Larger/more comfortable interior
Can sleep in it (not done frequently, but nice when needed)

Runner Cons:
Cannot serve do-it-all duty, probably still would want a truck for big chores/firewood
Exterior styling is not best, IMO (4th gen was much better, I think)
Interior/electronics are really dated (worse than Taco, even)
Slightly worse fuel economy

These are just my thoughts. If any of you have evaluated both/either of these vehicles, or actually own one presently, I would appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the subject. Thanks.

fmradio516
11-06-2018, 10:11 AM
I am not sure about the Tacoma features, but i must say that I was REALLY disappointed when I went to the dealer to look at the 4Runner. Theyre really behind.

One feature I was looking for was blind spot assist. I asked the dealer how is it that a truck this expensive doesnt have it and they said, because most 4Runner drivers are off-roaders and the blind spot monitor would be going off like crazy. gimme a break. Put blind spot monitors in all of them except the Off-road model.

I wanted a tacoma for a bit, but realized I would rather have the enclosed trunk space to store stuff instead of an open bed(I live in a city).

But yeah, a price tag like that with features equivalent of a car from 2005, ridiculous.

How do you like your subaru btw? Thinking about one of those...

old_fat_and_slow
11-06-2018, 10:17 AM
Taco.

You'll never realize how badly you need a pickup bed when you don't have a pickup. You may not need it often, but it's sure nice to have when you need it. It's a lot easier to load bikes into an open bed than into a SUV.

Plus, like you said, the aesthetics.

Black Dog
11-06-2018, 10:17 AM
Get something you like and put a trailer hitch on it and pick up a utility trailer. Will cover all your hauling needs without restricting what vehicle you get. It you get a tacoma get a cap over the bed and you will extend the utility of the vehicle.

AngryScientist
11-06-2018, 10:18 AM
for me, i travel with my bike a lot, and when i do, i want the bike and all my gear to live inside the vehicle if possible. out of site of thieves and out of the weather when on the highway.

i say get the 4runner and a small fold-up utility trailer to haul big grubby stuff.

mt2u77
11-06-2018, 10:20 AM
Sounds like you want a truck in the family no matter what. In that case, I’d get rid of the Sierra and Versa, and get the Tacoma.

From experience, 2 kids + 2 adults in a Subaru gets pretty tight for bigger road trips, especially when you start doing stuff with gear or add a pet. You’ll probably start using the truck / SUV for that, so make sure you can carry 4 in the truck. If not, go 4Runner.

I recently looked at a used Tacoma— wow, buy new. Those things really hold their value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryScientist
11-06-2018, 10:20 AM
Taco.

You'll never realize how badly you need a pickup bed when you don't have a pickup. You may not need it often, but it's sure nice to have when you need it. It's a lot easier to load bikes into an open bed than into a SUV.

IMO, a double cab taco with the short bed is near useless. those short beds cant fit anything in them. if you cant get a sheet of plywood in your pickup truck, then why bother.

4Rings6Stars
11-06-2018, 10:21 AM
If your kids were younger I would say no to the Tacoma, but since they will be boosters / forward facing car seats the backseat space shouldn’t be an issue. It’s not big enough to comfortably fit rear facing car seats but if front and rear passengers are shortish it’s plenty comfortable. .

I don’t think the 4 runner is very functional. We looked at them, but the Highlander has much more useful interior space and IMO better styling and interior with the only real negative being off road capability compared to the runner, which wasn’t a factor for us. My wife has a 17 Highlander we use for all around family duty, road trips, family vacation, hockey practice, etc. and it’s great for all that but I wouldn’t want to haul firewood in it.

I’m in a similar position as far as needing/ wanting a truck for house and yard duties. I’m on the fence about buying something new and nice that will replace my commuter (5 mile round trip so like you, not worried about fuel economy) or keeping my car and getting a beater pickup.

jcs7282
Thanks FM. Agreed with your BSM point, totally. Also, that feature is in the Taco (another off roader vehicle), so why can't it be in the 4R? The explanation is just a (poor) excuse.

In short, the Subaru has been pretty great. Some minor annoyances, but nothing major. Mechnically it has been problem-free, knock on wood!

There is a pretty solid Subaru thread that was running in here maybe 3-4 weeks ago...I am trying to find it in search, but coming up short.

fmradio516
semi-OT question, but may be helpful to others...

What size trailer hitch is "good" and more universally accepted?

jcs7282
11-06-2018, 10:28 AM
I believe a 2" hitch is what's standard on half-ton trucks and most larger aftermarket hitches that you can bolt-on to a CUV/SUV etc...

But others, keep me honest, I am not sure.

veloduffer
11-06-2018, 10:34 AM
Get something you like and put a trailer hitch on it and pick up a utility trailer. Will cover all your hauling needs without restricting what vehicle you get. It you get a tacoma get a cap over the bed and you will extend the utility of the vehicle.

+1 on this. My neighbor has a utility trailer and is perfect for light stuff like yard waste, firewood, etc. He attaches it to a Subie Outback, which he also tows his glider.

If you really want a truck, may be the Honda Ridgeline. And instead of a 4Runner, perhaps a Jeep Grand Cherokee, which can go off-road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

andeww
11-06-2018, 10:49 AM
Taco.

Although i agree, i am all about racks. Wagon with a 4 bike rear hitch mount and a huge roof rack with a carrier or large open basket rack is more useful for me than a small 5.5ft bed or whatever it is. So i think it really depends on what you are loading.

StanleySteamer
11-06-2018, 10:50 AM
If you are concerned about reliability go with the 4runner or upsize to a Tundra.
(u should check into some of the issues with the new Tacoma model before buying). The upcoming 2019 Rav4 might be worth a look. The TLF truck online videos show the offroad capabilities of Toyota products.

Ozz
11-06-2018, 10:59 AM
How badly do you need off-road capability?

If your typical "off road" experience is the occasional dirt road or driving to ski area, I would look at something else (Highlander).

More room, better fuel economy, more comfortable, more family friendly....

yeah, yeah, a mini-van would be even better, but who wants to drive one of those? ;-)

Makuman
11-06-2018, 11:00 AM
I have a 2016 Tacoma and love it. The only thing the 4Runner has over the taco (besides great looks) is that you could secure/leave a few bikes “inside” the cab. I currently have a 5foot bed with a roll and lock bed cover and can barely fit 1 bike. I have to angle the bike to fit it in. I don’t haul much dirty things so that’s not much of an issue for me. Curious to know what you decide!

chunkylover53
11-06-2018, 11:31 AM
Tacoma all the way! I have one (big surprise!) - have three kids between 5-12, tons of sports, travel for sports etc. It's been great - and comfortable enough for road trips. I had a sport wagon before, and it's so much nicer not having to attach a bike rack - just toss it in the back or get a tailgate pad.

A key reason I went with the Tacoma is the crazy resale price - they probably hold their value better than almost any other vehicle out there. I bought a used 14. A lot of people would tell you to look for a good deal on a 2nd gen; there have been people complaining about issue on 3rd gen, but who knows how much of that is internet blather.

fmradio516
11-06-2018, 11:36 AM
If you are concerned about reliability go with the 4runner or upsize to a Tundra.
(u should check into some of the issues with the new Tacoma model before buying). The upcoming 2019 Rav4 might be worth a look. The TLF truck online videos show the offroad capabilities of Toyota products.

+1 on the Rav4. It seems to look a lot better than the last Rav4's. And theres a hybrid option, which is a plus for me.

pasadena
11-06-2018, 11:41 AM
The Tacoma is what you need, since you already have a "suv" in the house.

The big advantage the 4Runner has is it's made in Japan and has a more upscale interior
4Runner is one of their legendary brands and the quality is excellent.4R and Highlander are two of the most highly valued suv's in the market.

But, I would never be regularly throwing firewood in it and other outdoor hauling duty. No interior would last very long with that. 4R is good if you did a lot of offroading or trail camping/towing

I like those old GMC 1500s, especially the 5.7 97-98's

Relevant background on me as it impacts this decision: I have a young family (2 boys, 3 and 6), we are all short <5'7" (for now, boys are TBD!), my commute is brief (fuel economy not a huge concern, but I don't want a total gas guzzler), and I actually have use for a truck bed as I maintain our yard myself and scavenge firewood on an ongoing basis. Currently driving a rust-bucket '02 GMC Sierra 1500 ext cab and a '09 Versa hatch, which serve workhorse and general driving/commuting duties, respectively. My wife has a '16 Outback, so that's our nice road trip/family car.

Blown Reek
11-06-2018, 11:43 AM
IMO, a double cab taco with the short bed is near useless. those short beds cant fit anything in them.

Ummmm... any pickup with a Thule Insta-Gater is the perfect bicycle transporting vehicle, and you don't need a standard or (god forbid) long bed. And the heaviest thing I ever hauled with my Ram 2500 Power Wagon was my steel road bike.

Great truck, but I don't know if it was capable of hauling plywood.

gemship
11-06-2018, 11:51 AM
Toyota's are very expensive for what they are. Having said that it seems like your current stable would actually be cheaper to keep than what your tempting. I actually replaced my 02 GMC Sierra with a 09 Outback and I do miss the bed and I do forage extensively for firewood. Basically I did to save money on gas, smoother ride, more interior room as my GMC was a standard cab and the truck was old and needed more maintaining. I figured I would miss the bed but I also figured I could just get a utility trailer. It didn't make sense to keep the truck as a primary vehicle when the bed is empty most of the time. For your purpose however you seem to wanna downscale from three vehicles to two vehicles. Not sure money is an issue or your just sick of fixing old stuff. I guess you'll have to decide but if you must have a new vehicle I would say get the tacoma.

Heck I even thought about just throwing a tarp in the back of my Outback with folded down seats and stuffing it with as much wood as possible. This car I bought looks nice from a distance but wasn't exactly a minty example. Just good reliable wheels. It's funny how we perceive what we can and can't do with machines.

Mikej
11-06-2018, 11:51 AM
4Runner- lock it down

AngryScientist
11-06-2018, 11:54 AM
Ummmm... any pickup with a Thule Insta-Gater is the perfect bicycle transporting vehicle,

ummmm....i disagree. for me that would be far from perfect.

mktng
11-06-2018, 11:55 AM
why a 4Runner?
why not just a "simple" Highlander?

avalonracing
11-06-2018, 11:57 AM
I have a three-month-old 4Runner Off Road Premium. It's a damn nice truck. It is very comfortable and as quiet as a luxury car at 85 uhhh... I mean 55mph. As for people talking about it being dated or the electronics being dated. It is proven stuff on what is arguably the most reliable truck you can buy. And I happen to love the big, oversized controls that you operate without even looking at them.

Despite loving certain things about the truck I'm thinking about getting rid of it because I find it a bit large. I don't have kids I mainly bought it because I also like to put my bikes inside a vehicle when I don't ride from the house. I had a '98 Runner that was a foot shorter and 8" more narrow and I like that size better. If I had a family though, the Runner would be a no-brainer.

4Rings6Stars
11-06-2018, 11:57 AM
+1 on the Rav4. It seems to look a lot better than the last Rav4's. And theres a hybrid option, which is a plus for me.

For the Rav4, it might make sense, but for our Highlander it really didn't (to me).

I considered the hybrid model when we bought our Highlander, but the numbers just didn't make it worthwhile. Upfront cost premium was about $4k to get the hybrid. At current gas prices and miles we drive, it would take about 10 years to recover that $4k in fuel savings. So get the hybrid to save the world I guess (just don't read about battery manufacturing...), but not to save money.

Also doesn't factor in maintenance cost. We had a first generation highlander hybrid and ended up essentially junking it at 9 years due to issues with the hybrid system. And the MPG we were getting on our 9 year old HiHy were 4-5 less than when it was new.

Blown Reek
11-06-2018, 12:15 PM
ummmm....i disagree. for me that would be far from perfect.

Whoops... the InstaGater worked in the Power Wagon, since it had a standard sized bed. I meant the Bed Rider.

jcs7282
11-06-2018, 12:15 PM
Not sure money is an issue or your just sick of fixing old stuff. I guess you'll have to decide but if you must have a new vehicle I would say get the tacoma.

It is somewhat of the latter. The truck is rusted out, and it is only a matter of time before something breaks with the frame that is irreparable. I am just hoping to get some value out of it before it's a donate/tow-away heap.

WRT to the Versa, it needs a bunch of suspension work, which adds up to about $1k...not that much money in the grand scheme (that's a bike wheel in cost! ha) but it is about 30-40% of the value of the car. So high cost on a relative basis...and honestly, I am just kind of wanting something newer/modern.

With regard to the "why not Highlander" comments...emotion/appeal plays a role here (I am not entirely rational in this decision) and at the end of the day I am kind of a "car guy," hence I have an aversion to personally driving a wagon that is dressed up like a truck! Logic and reason play a role in this decision, but there are other factors, too.

WRT to the "tacoma bed is useless" comments, for me, it is actually a good size for 90% of the work I do around the house. The times it will be too small are major landscaping chore days (fall/spring clean ups, tree trimming, etc) and more serious firewood hauling...in those cases I would need multiple trips or to get a decent trailer.

Were I to get a 4Runner, I'd probably ultimately get another, less rusty junky truck. So, in principle, I like the concept of having only 2 vehicles, but I cannot envision living totally without a truck.

Thanks for all the helpful commentary so far. I am leaning towards Taco (was before this thread and still in that direction) but we will see. My wife would be happier to ride around in a 4Runner so that plays a factor too..."happy wife...happy life"

fmradio516
11-06-2018, 12:32 PM
For the Rav4, it might make sense, but for our Highlander it really didn't (to me).

I considered the hybrid model when we bought our Highlander, but the numbers just didn't make it worthwhile. Upfront cost premium was about $4k to get the hybrid. At current gas prices and miles we drive, it would take about 10 years to recover that $4k in fuel savings. So get the hybrid to save the world I guess (just don't read about battery manufacturing...), but not to save money.

Also doesn't factor in maintenance cost. We had a first generation highlander hybrid and ended up essentially junking it at 9 years due to issues with the hybrid system. And the MPG we were getting on our 9 year old HiHy were 4-5 less than when it was new.

Hmm, yeah thats something to think about. I am just thinking about hybrids because I am paranoid that there will soon be a worldwide announcement that everyone NEEDS to start phasing out gasoline cars by a certain date; then my brand spanking new car plummets in value and I wont be able to sell it one day.

Or they come up with some kind of new tax law that heavily taxes gasoline cars annually.

but thats just my tin foil hat speaking.

gdw
11-06-2018, 12:40 PM
Or they come up with some kind of new tax law that heavily taxes gasoline cars annually.

but thats just my tin foil hat speaking.

Unfortunately we have people in our local government -Boulder, CO- who are hoping to do that in the not too distant future.

jm714
11-06-2018, 12:51 PM
I really wanted a 4Runner, have had two in the past, but I have 17 and 14 year old boys that are 6'2" and 6'6" so I just couldn't do it. My wife has a 2010 Highlander and the boys still fit in it. So we looked at Highlanders in the current year and the boys fit in those too. They really are a great vehicle, the ride is more car like, but they seem to be up to date on the tech side.

In the end I found a 2006 Tundra crew cab with 68k miles on it for $16,500 that we are using as a third car for the 17 year old to drive while I drive a volt to work etc.

You might try looking for a low mileage first gen Tundra they are out there and the crew cab is big enough for trips etc. Everyone I talk to says its a 300k mile truck easy.

bicimechanic
11-06-2018, 01:00 PM
I have been very happy with my '17 Tacoma TRD Sport. I went with the full cab and short bed. I am surprised how much stuff I can fit in the bed. Plenty of room in the back for passengers and rides nice. Plus 4WD when I need it. Has all the modern stuff in the front. I'm thinking about a cap for it but I installed some locking fork mounts in the bed and I have a Kuat for the hitch if I need to haul a lot of bikes.

jcs7282
11-06-2018, 01:29 PM
I have a Kuat for the hitch if I need to haul a lot of bikes.

Thanks Bici. I am with you on the Kuat rack, they're awesome. I currently use mine on my wife's Subie (hitch added with the help of a neighbor) and on my POS truck.

But honestly, 98% of my riding is right out of my driveway, whether road, mtb, or "gravel" (which just means mtb on drop bars in my part of the world, outside Boston). If I am traveling with my bikes it's probably either to an event (D2R2 or the like) or to visit friends/family, and securing the bikes in the back of a "real" enclosed trunk is usually not a major concern...although it's nice to have the interior option available when needed either due to weather or security...

Jmaxwel8
11-06-2018, 01:31 PM
Check out Tacoma world to see comments about the Tacoma. I know you can’t trust everyone thing you read on forums but I wish I had read it before buying my Tacoma.

Maybe it might highlight some concerns you could pay attention to before buying one over the other.

It hasn’t been everyone experience but I have only managed 17.5
mpg in my OR 2016 and it is bare bones stock. My other concern as been a pretty anemic engine, but that is based on personal opinion. I know it’s a truck but it still feels more like 2000 ford ranger in performance than a “modern” vehicle

azrider
11-06-2018, 01:31 PM
How mechanically inclined are you ?

I think a '92-'99 or even newer Mitsubishi Montero would tick all your boxes. Plus you can get one for WAY cheaper than 4Runner. The Montero's that were built during the timeframe above were way over engineered and bulletproof: they came stock with 9.5" axle's (huge compared to Dana 44's which are only 8.5".......and 4Runners are even smaller at 8" :(), locking rear differential, 3rd row seating, and powerful enough 3.5 liter V6. If you don't get crazy with tire size (you can throw 33's on these with little to no modification) and gas mileage will be just as good or better than 4Runner. But best of all the interior is absolutely enormous. I"ve carried everything from axle housings, to firewood, to 37" tires in the back of it........it's endless. In fact, I built a sleeping platform for when we go camping and last time we camped we didn't even pop tent and we slept our family of four in the back of it.

Bet if you looked on your local CL you could find 2 or 3 for $3000 or less.

Good luck in your search !!

jcs7282
11-06-2018, 01:44 PM

Not at all, ha! And thank you.

Re the sub-par MPGs in real world driving with the '16s: I have read this as well, although as I understand it, issues have been sorted with the 2017 and '18 models...I hope? Hence some of my concern and ambivalence with this decision...

Andy sti
11-06-2018, 03:01 PM
Because we all like to tell you to buy something else:)

100 or 200 series Cruiser/LX

My 2007 LX470 is an amazing car. Sure the mileage sucks and sure it's not the fastest but it is built like a tank and will last forever. Way more modern than my 80 series Cruiser too.

paredown
11-06-2018, 03:06 PM
You might try looking for a low mileage first gen Tundra they are out there and the crew cab is big enough for trips etc. Everyone I talk to says its a 300k mile truck easy.
I've been pleased with my 2003 long box--but it's a econo model.

Things are starting to rust here in snow country though, so I'm not sure about the 300k.

andeww
11-06-2018, 03:09 PM

I think a '92-'99 or even newer Mitsubishi Montero would tick all your boxes.

Bet if you looked on your local CL you could find 2 or 3 for $3000 or less.

I am super into the first gen i think (boxy) monteros and troopers, i have been lurking craigslist for a while but havent seen anything worth checking out.

sfghbiker
11-06-2018, 03:29 PM
I have a 2nd generation tacoma with a supercharger. I HIGHLY recommend this. I also had a first generation tacoma which is still running 20 years on. My brothers 4 runner was a bit less reliable. They are both great trucks. I use the pickup bed frequently. I would not hesitate to buy either but might feel a bit frustrated about the 4Runner now given how dated this model is.

ftf
11-06-2018, 03:30 PM
I would take a look at the Nissan Frontier if you are also looking at the tocoma, you get a lot more for your money, and it even has disc brakes in the rear, tacoma has drums.

azrider
11-06-2018, 03:30 PM
I am super into the first gen i think (boxy) monteros and troopers, i have been lurking craigslist for a while but havent seen anything worth checking out.

Yeah I love those as well. I scored a 4 door that was in good shape for $500 bucks but ended up selling to focus on my Gen2 which is '97 SR.

When I was in the market for a 4x4 I wasn't even aware of Mitsu heritage but now after having owned mine for 3 years I can wholeheartedly say it was best decision I ever made. Love my Montero.

Not sure if you're on FB or not but there is a group called Mitsubishi Montero's USA.....there is about 4000 die hard Montero owners and some super cool Gen 1's.....in fact there is a Paceliner that has one of THE coolest GenI's around

jcs7282
11-06-2018, 04:04 PM
I would take a look at the Nissan Frontier if you are also looking at the tocoma, you get a lot more for your money, and it even has disc brakes in the rear, tacoma has drums.

I actually used to own a Fronty. It was an '09 Pro4x that was a dealer demo with about 2k on it...

The motor was great, but the climate control system has constant issues (including a really annoying tick-tick noise the fan made at all speeds) that the dealer could never ever resolve. I wound up selling it back to another dealer after I got frustrated with the run-around. Also, the styling of those trucks was never really my cup of tea (just IMO) but couldn't turn down the deal I got on it. But for my next truck, I really am looking for something else.

OtayBW
11-06-2018, 04:10 PM
Neither for me. I'm a Tundra (extended cab) guy. I have a near full size PU bed where I can put 3 bikes on a simple, removable stand with quick release fork mounts, and I can fit a bike in the cab, cross-wise on another fork mount. For me, it's a good solution. If I was in the OPs shoes, I'd be looking at a Tacoma...

bmeryman
11-06-2018, 04:32 PM
I've been pleased with my 2003 long box--but it's a econo model.

Things are starting to rust here in snow country though, so I'm not sure about the 300k.

Neither for me. I'm a Tundra (extended cab) guy. I have a near full size PU bed where I can put 3 bikes on a simple, removable stand with quick release fork mounts, and I can fit a bike in the cab, cross-wise on another fork mount. For me, it's a good solution. If I was in the OPs shoes, I'd be looking at a Tacoma...

2003 Tundra here as well. I've owned a 1998 and a 2007 Tacoma. I prefer the Tundra over both of those options. The 1st gen Tundra is pretty much the same size as the 2nd gen Tacoma and it has fewer features (which I prefer). It was also quite a bit cheaper than any Tacoma options!

12snap
11-06-2018, 04:37 PM
I have a '17 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab short bed w/ a manual transmisison. I love the truck. I have a rolling, locking cover and use a 1 Up hitch mount rack when I haul my bikes. If they still made a 4 Runner with a manual transmission I probably would have one of those since I don't really use the truck bed for dirty jobs.

There were 2 big, known issues that concerned me before buying my Tacoma. One was a lack of useable power. The engine produces decent hp numbers but they are at 4000 rpms and up. Not very useful when off-roading or city driving. The other is a serious lag in throttle response. You press the gas pedal and it's a couple of seconds before it anything happens. Both issues were resolved by getting a tuning kit for it. This one: https://www.ovtuned.com/collections/toyota/products/toyota-tacoma-2grfks-calibration

It's pricey but so worth it. You can upload a tune to the truck's ECU and it now makes much more power in a lower rpm range. The throttle lag is gone, too. I've read that the new Tacoma auto transmissions would constantly be hunting for gears. I have a manual trans so not an issue for me but with the tuning kit above you can fix that one as well. I'm not a sales guy for them, just a happy customer. The only downside is that you must run a higher octane gas. The tunes with the most power need to run 91 but they have one that needs 87 or higher. That's the one I have and am happy with it.

I did a lot of research on www.tacomaworld.com before buying my truck.

p nut
11-06-2018, 05:20 PM
Relevant background on me as it impacts this decision: I have a young family (2 boys, 3 and 6), we are all short <5'7" (for now, boys are TBD!), my commute is brief (fuel economy not a huge concern, but I don't want a total gas guzzler), and I actually have use for a truck bed as I maintain our yard myself and scavenge firewood on an ongoing basis.

Yup, get a truck. Tacoma is great. I have kids just slightly older. They love riding in the truck. All the smelly camping gear, fishing stuff, muddy bikes, etc. go in the bed. Spring time mulch hauling, city dump runs, furniture purchases. I love my Tacoma. And if it matters, the Tacoma has always had the better resale value.

IMO, a double cab taco with the short bed is near useless. those short beds cant fit anything in them. if you cant get a sheet of plywood in your pickup truck, then why bother.

Have you had one? I've had both the short and long bed. I find both beds are plenty useful. The 6' isn't that much more useful than a 5'--it's a 1' difference. You still can't fit plywood or drywall in either. If you really want utility, get an 8' bed of a fullsize truck. 5' or 6'....IMO, doesn't matter.

And get a hi-rise topper if you want to haul bikes inside...

AngryScientist
11-06-2018, 05:42 PM
for what it's worth i had been searching for a used taco for years, but have given up. they simply hold their value too well for me to buy in at the price point i want to. i'd love to get back into a good, ruggedly built pickup truck, but it's just not in the cards for me at the moment.

if i'm honest with myself, though i'd love a pick-up, for me, a SUV is just a load more practical, in that all the cargo stays inside the vehicle, and the roofline is a little longer and can accommodate rooftop stuff easier.

if i were pressed to buy new, (which i never would in this segment) - i'd likely go taco also, just to get the manual transmission. i'd prefer an extended cab and 6ft bed though. i'd have a nice cap on it with solid roof racks.

all daydreaming for me, i wont be in the market for something new for a long time, knock on wood.

AngryScientist
11-06-2018, 05:52 PM
this.

this would do it for me.

https://cdn.bringatrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/1521757800a4d1bc0e1742c08b5ab18ff6306c3_170627-940x527-1-940x527.jpg

djg21
11-06-2018, 06:01 PM
Hey all, I know there's been a streak of motorized vehicle-related threads of late, so I hope you don't mind seeing another.

Currently I am "on the fence" in making a new vehicle decision, so figured I would try reaching out to this group since there are usually a lot of useful opinions/insights shared in prior vehicle threads which I have read/contributed to in the past.

Candidates are a new Toyota Tacoma Double Cab vs a 4Runner...probably going TRD Off Road trim in both cases, FWIW.

Here is how I am looking at things:

Taco Pros:
Could be a do-it-all vehicle (if needed, get a small trailer for heavy yard/firewood work)
More modern interior amenities vs 4Runner
Slightly better fuel economy vs 4Runner
Generally better exterior appearance vs 4Runner (IMO, YMMV)
Better modern features (adaptive cruise, crash avoidance, etc.)

Taco Cons:
Back seat seems slightly more cramped vs 4Runner
Slightly louder, more "truck like" on highway (duh/IMO)

Runner Pros:
Larger/more comfortable interior
Can sleep in it (not done frequently, but nice when needed)

Runner Cons:
Cannot serve do-it-all duty, probably still would want a truck for big chores/firewood
Interior/electronics are really dated (worse than Taco, even)
Slightly worse fuel economy

These are just my thoughts. If any of you have evaluated both/either of these vehicles, or actually own one presently, I would appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the subject. Thanks.

I just traded in my Tacoma. It was a solid vehicle, but even my high-end TRD Pro Baja Edition was poorly appointed, was loud, and drove like crap especially on the highway, where is struggled to go over 78 mph. The radio/Bluetooth never worked, and while Toyota acknowledged the widespread problem, it couldn’t fix it in the 4 years I had the truck. I barely got 15-16 mpg. I decided to get rid of it at 65K miles, and don’t miss it at all. I don’t share the love for Toyota and will never buy another one. I traded it on a CPO BMW X5, which is much more comfortable, gets far better gas mileage (23-26mpg), and actually is fun to drive. The only thing I miss is having a cap and being able to transport bikes in the back where they were protected from the elements. On my new vehicle, I use a KUAT rack, which is awesome, but I hate having my bikes on the rack when it rains.

ftf
11-06-2018, 06:24 PM
I actually used to own a Fronty. It was an '09 Pro4x that was a dealer demo with about 2k on it...

The motor was great, but the climate control system has constant issues (including a really annoying tick-tick noise the fan made at all speeds) that the dealer could never ever resolve. I wound up selling it back to another dealer after I got frustrated with the run-around. Also, the styling of those trucks was never really my cup of tea (just IMO) but couldn't turn down the deal I got on it. But for my next truck, I really am looking for something else.

Well I'm sorry that your Frontier had issues, but every maker will put out some with issues..... Personally I think the frontier is a better truck at a lower price, styling aside. It has a better interior, drives better, quieter, more usable power.

rheosibal
11-06-2018, 06:32 PM
I have experience with both. Traded one for another.

I had a Tacoma (prior gen), double cab, short bed TRDOR first. It's a great truck, holds its value (sold for $25k at 50k miles), and is great for moving things, but in terms of practicality, it's not better than the 4Runner.

I traded for a 4Runner last fall for a TRDORP and I don't regret it at all. More cabin space for the family, tow hitch for bikes, etc.

In the Tacoma, you'll find it inconvenient that you have no space when traveling with passengers. Especially with wet weather...

FWIW, the current gen Tacoma isn't great. Looks great, but their newer motor is inferior to the prior gen. You'll find the same opinions on the Toyota/Tacoma/4Runner forums.

I have alot of comparisons between the two. I owned the Tacoma for 2 years (50k), and now have had the 4Runner for one. Definitely an upgrade for my family, 3 dogs, etc..

PM me if you have questions

hokoman
11-06-2018, 07:03 PM
I have been looking at the new 4Runners - only the limited has push button start. Silly, I know... but come on, these are 2019 models! The Lexus GX is a sweet vehicle, and I would consider it if I didn't live in the city where all nice things get destroyed.

eBAUMANN
11-06-2018, 08:13 PM
this.

this would do it for me.

https://cdn.bringatrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/1521757800a4d1bc0e1742c08b5ab18ff6306c3_170627-940x527-1-940x527.jpg

me too...id much rather have that than a new one.

that said, my vote is to forget both and order a 4x4 low top sprinter van, fits everything you could possibly want to carry INSIDE, gets 20+ mpg, easy to camp/sleep in, etc, etc ;)

Mattre
11-06-2018, 08:54 PM
I have a Tacoma with the 4 cylinder 2.7L and it just doesn't have enough power. I really like it otherwise but I would definitely go with the TRD if I could do it over. Sometimes I wouldn't mind an SUV or station wagon though so I could throw my bike in the back instead of having it on a rack in the bed of the truck. It makes me nervous if I have to stop somewhere for a while and I can't keep an eye on it.

p nut
11-06-2018, 09:14 PM
FWIW, the current gen Tacoma isn't great. Looks great, but their newer motor is inferior to the prior gen. You'll find the same opinions on the Toyota/Tacoma/4Runner forums.

All subjective. Current 3.5 engines are plenty capable. Performs better than the 4.0 for me. Better mpg as well. Tech has much improved as well. This is why Tacoma’s are setting sales records since the debut of the 3rd gen.

TonyG
11-06-2018, 11:07 PM
I have a 2018 Tacoma and my girlfriend has a 2015 Toyota Sienna AWD.

I have a second home in Sonoma Ca and do a lot of gardening and home repair there hence I got the Tacoma to haul tools around etc.

The Sienna is a far far far better vehicle for my lifestyle; no question no debate.

It fits way more bikes just as many tools and drives way better. The Sienna makes me deeply regret the pickup.

cinema
11-06-2018, 11:46 PM
no idea why one wouldn't buy the tundra. the taco is weak and expensive in comparison. the tundra can be had for 30-35k haggling at the dealer (do not finance there) with a 5.7L and 4x4. no brainer. the 4runner similarly has lost the big wonderful 4.7L 2UZ for lower powered engines. however the runner is still made in japan last time i checked.

the taco and tundra are more or less american cars with japanese engines. i say this as a toyota owner. be careful, toyota has been recalling thousands of tacos last couple years with frame rot on their USA made dana frames. it's going to cost them millions and millions of dollars. if you don't live in CA or AZ get your truck undercoated every single year.

hands down the best deal is the tundra with 5.7L, same engine that goes in the lc200. there is really no reason why i wouldn't take it over the taco, except that it looks like a whale. not enough to dissuade me, it's what's on the inside that counts.

if you are really laying down the dime and $ does not matter the best toyota offroad/camp car you can get in the states (that isn't the cruiser) is a lexus gx (prado).

p nut
11-07-2018, 09:22 AM
no idea why one wouldn't buy the tundra. the taco is weak and expensive in comparison. the tundra can be had for 30-35k haggling at the dealer (do not finance there) with a 5.7L and 4x4. no brainer.

I like Tundras. Cabin space in that Crewmax is no joke. However, two knocks against it for me. First, it sucks gas. Like a 3/4 ton truck. 15mpg, max.
Two, it's just a big truck. Most of the time, I am by myself. Parking that behemoth is a chore. Thought I could get used to it, but it was just an annoyance every time, whether parking or maneuvering through the city.

If you don't care about either of those issues, it's a good truck.

jcs7282
11-07-2018, 09:27 AM
I like Tundras. Cabin space in that Crewmax is no joke. However, two knocks against it for me. First, it sucks gas. Like a 3/4 ton truck. 15mpg, max.
Two, it's just a big truck. Most of the time, I am by myself. Parking that behemoth is a chore. Thought I could get used to it, but it was just an annoyance every time, whether parking or maneuvering through the city.

If you don't care about either of those issues, it's a good truck.

I am pretty much with P. Tundra crosses the line for me in terms of where I know I'll be unhappy with the MPGs sooner or late. High teens around town is tolerable, averaging 13/14 (as some friends w/ Tundras do) would get old for me...but that is just me. The size thing comes into play for me, too...98% of the time, I just do not need THAT much space. But they are handsome trucks, although just a bit oversized for my tastes.

bart998
11-07-2018, 09:55 AM
I have a '17 Tacoma with about 10K on it. V6 with the 4X4 package. I really love this truck but the gas mileage is a bit of a disappointment. I get around 15/16 around town and 20/21 hwy in 2X mode.

jtbadge
11-07-2018, 09:59 AM
It's wild how little the compact truck has advanced in the last handful of years, especially in fuel economy. Even full-sized trucks are pushing 30mpg highway.

Also, if you don't know you want a pickup bed, get something else. IMO.

Dave
11-07-2018, 10:41 AM
I chose a 2018 Chevy Colorado 4x4 with the extended cab, to get the longer bed. With the tailgate down, the bed is 8' long. It's better for hauling long boards and 4x8 sheets. I leave the tailgate up and put 10' pipe in diagonally, with the end sticking out.

Gas mileage is right on what the sticker says it will be. The 308 hp V6 and 8 speed trans work well together. I can tells that it's a lot heavier than my 2018 Equinox with the 252 hp turbo 4. The Equinox accelerates quite a bit faster.

cinema
11-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Understand the mpg factor but I always looked at trucks as something you will never get ideal mpg from so go with the largest engine. Old fashioned I guess. I have a Prius and a bike for normal day to day traffic.

The new Colorado with the 3L diesel is no joke, and that would be my choice personally. It’s too expensive imo though. That beautiful Isuzu Diesel engine. Popular in the midddle east where I saw many brand new isuzus still being made and driven all over the desert with that engine.

shoota
11-07-2018, 11:09 AM

You're insane lol. I've literally never heard anyone say that.

https://i.postimg.cc/6q4Z8Vpt/4runner-meme.jpg (https://postimg.cc/N2YFVHXz)

avalonracing
11-07-2018, 11:14 AM
True, the 4th Gen has been seen as the redheaded stepchild of 4Runners but history seems to cast a gentle eye over time so we'll see if people start to warm to it. I loved the look of my 3rd Gen but didn't really like the look of the 5th (even though I bought one) but I've actually started to find it kind of tough looking as time as gone on.

shoota
11-07-2018, 11:28 AM
True, the 4th Gen has been seen as the redheaded stepchild of 4Runners but history seems to cast a gentle eye over time so we'll see if people start to warm to it. I loved the look of my 3rd Gen but didn't really like the look of the 5th (even though I bought one) but I've actually started to find it kind of tough looking as time as gone on.

3rd gen for life! But the later model 5th gens look awesome! The only saving grace of the 4th gen is the V8 option.

gdw
11-07-2018, 11:34 AM
Methinks the 4Runner is more versatile than the Tacoma and will make a better vacation vehicle for the family than the Outback if you don't mind the the decreased mpg. It has plenty of room for kids and gear and can haul an awful lot of wood, lumber, miscellaneous etc when the seats are folded down. You can make a platform out of plywood to protect the interior and add hardware for tiedowns or mounts to carry bikes. Being able to access the load through the side doors is really convenient too.

azrider
11-07-2018, 12:04 PM
You're insane lol. I've literally never heard anyone say that.

https://i.postimg.cc/6q4Z8Vpt/4runner-meme.jpg (https://postimg.cc/N2YFVHXz)

HA!! This is amazing. Stealing this. :p

shoota
11-07-2018, 12:06 PM
HA!! This is amazing. Stealing this. :p

It's funny cuz it's true!

jcs7282
11-07-2018, 01:17 PM
It's funny cuz it's true!

Ha! That is funny. Of course, I was only comparing to the 5th gen...not others.

I think the 3rd gens are really nice too. But, going back that far/old is not really under consideration for me.

Argh, still totally confused as to what to do. Each has tradeoffs/sacrifices, and I hate making those when spending this kind of money!

Still, appreciate the input, suggestions and ideas. :)

weisan
11-07-2018, 01:52 PM
Just as to every first world problem, the solution is always Costco. To every car question, my answer is always....

https://c4d709dd302a2586107d-f8305d22c3db1fdd6f8607b49e47a10c.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.c om/thumbnails/stock-images/fa5351f4ce98930ce3949c214b27f791.png

jcs7282
11-07-2018, 01:56 PM
Just as to every first world problem, the solution is always Costco. To every car question, my answer is always....

https://c4d709dd302a2586107d-f8305d22c3db1fdd6f8607b49e47a10c.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.c om/thumbnails/stock-images/fa5351f4ce98930ce3949c214b27f791.png

Too funny, and appreciate the first world problem point. Helps keeps things in perspective.

I am not secure enough to drive a minivan, ha. :) Plus we shop at BJ's Wholesale, not Costco :P

weisan
11-07-2018, 02:08 PM
jcs pal, appreciate your positive attitude. like others, I am an "enabler", hope you find your ideal car soon and have fun in the process.

jcs7282
11-07-2018, 02:16 PM
jcs pal, appreciate your positive attitude. like others, I am an "enabler", hope you find your ideal car soon and have fun in the process.

On the bright side, I have convinced my wife to allow me to proceed with getting a new vehicle...so in relative terms, choosing one is the easy part! :)

Ozz
11-07-2018, 02:27 PM
On the bright side, I have convinced my wife to allow me to proceed with getting a new vehicle...so in relative terms, choosing one is the easy part! :)

you are doing better than I am (driving used cars since 1987)....she gets the new ones, I get the hand-me-downs.

Someday.....;)

chrisroph
11-07-2018, 03:41 PM
I recently sold my beloved 2004 F150 because it was starting to develop some issues and I replaced it with a 2018 4Runner. I miss the bed sometimes but far and away prefer the interior security and space of the 4R for cycling and fishing. I figure I can always get a small trailer if I want to haul yard debris.

It is a little dated in many ways but the tradeoff is legendary reliability and the toughness of a truck chassis.

p nut
11-07-2018, 03:56 PM
...Argh, still totally confused as to what to do. Each has tradeoffs/sacrifices, and I hate making those when spending this kind of money!

You could rent one for a week each and see how you like it. I've seen quite a few 4Runners and Tacomas for rent.

But really, whatever you choose to buy, you will adapt to it. Get a truck, and you'll make it work. Same with the SUV. Can't go wrong.

cinema
11-07-2018, 06:55 PM
if you're between the 4runner and the tacoma, the choice for me would be easy. 4runner is made in japan afaik. that's what i would buy.

William
11-07-2018, 07:18 PM
Toyota Hilux Surf or Nissan Safari for the win!!:cool:

William

93svt96
11-07-2018, 09:28 PM
I'll stay with my Ford. Out last the imports and supports an American company.

jcs7282
11-08-2018, 07:19 AM
I'll stay with my Ford. Out last the imports and supports an American company.

I'd actually love a F150 Powerstroke, but they cannot be had for much less than $60k.

If they were $15-$20k less expensive I'd be all over one.

Road Fan
11-08-2018, 07:33 AM
I am not sure about the Tacoma features, but i must say that I was REALLY disappointed when I went to the dealer to look at the 4Runner. Theyre really behind.

One feature I was looking for was blind spot assist. I asked the dealer how is it that a truck this expensive doesnt have it and they said, because most 4Runner drivers are off-roaders and the blind spot monitor would be going off like crazy. gimme a break. Put blind spot monitors in all of them except the Off-road model.

I wanted a tacoma for a bit, but realized I would rather have the enclosed trunk space to store stuff instead of an open bed(I live in a city).

But yeah, a price tag like that with features equivalent of a car from 2005, ridiculous.

How do you like your subaru btw? Thinking about one of those...

I'm just trading in a Lexus RX with blind spot, and you should be aware you can turn it off for off-roading.

avalonracing
11-08-2018, 08:50 AM
I'll stay with my Ford. Out last the imports.

That's debatable. I know someone with a 2001 4Runner. 400,000 non-highway miles on the original engine (without any rebuild) and he takes it to redline every week.

StanleySteamer
11-08-2018, 10:59 AM
Just google million mile Tundra if you want to know about who makes the most trouble free truck.

Mattre
11-08-2018, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I have some complaints about my Tacoma but reliability isn't one of them. I'm coming up on 200,000 and have never had any problems.

fmradio516
11-08-2018, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I have some complaints about my Tacoma but reliability isn't one of them. I'm coming up on 200,000 and have never had any problems.

What year truck is it?

joosttx
11-08-2018, 02:27 PM
I am seriously thinking about buying a Land Cruiser. The 4-runner is a solid and spacious vehicle. If it had a 3rd row of seating I would get that. The Tacoma is cramped in the back and just doesn’t drive as well compared the the 4 Runner. Though it’s cheaper. If you have the money get the 4 Runner. If you don’t get the Tacoma

Clean39T
11-08-2018, 02:32 PM
I'd actually love a F150 Powerstroke, but they cannot be had for much less than $60k.

If they were $15-$20k less expensive I'd be all over one.Who the heck can afford a $60k truck? Are people financing these for 10yrs? Or just eating off the dollar menu and living in a trailer with a $750/Mon car payment? Plus insurance and coal-rolling mods...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

avalonracing
11-08-2018, 02:55 PM
The 4-runner is a solid and spacious vehicle. If it had a 3rd row of seating I would get that.

You can get a Runner with 3rd seating.

joosttx
11-08-2018, 03:03 PM
You can get a Runner with 3rd seating.

You can??? Toyota salesman said no. But I don’t trust him. Seriously you can??? You made my day

jcs7282
11-08-2018, 03:05 PM
Who the heck can afford a $60k truck? Are people financing these for 10yrs? Or just eating off the dollar menu and living in a trailer with a $750/Mon car payment? Plus insurance and coal-rolling mods...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Rich retirees, I suppose? I agree, the costs are way out of whack. That's on all trucks, really. It is crazy. Kind of playing wait & see as the year end gets closer.

Re coal-rolling, the reason I like the F150 diesel is it's (relatively) great on fuel (25+MPG highway in a full size truck) and it's not a massive V8 like you find in the heavy duty trucks (so it's very quiet). If you are not told it is a diesel, you'll likely not notice it.

AngryScientist
11-08-2018, 03:06 PM
You can??? Toyota salesman said no. But I don’t trust him. Seriously you can??? You made my day

https://www.toyota.com/4runner/features/mileage_estimates/8664/8666/8668

look at the "interior" options.

Fabric-trimmed 50/50 split fold-flat third-row seat and sliding second row with passenger-side one-touch access to third-row seat

jcs7282
11-08-2018, 03:06 PM

Yes, the SR5 and SR5 premium trim lines definitely has 3rd row as an option.

Limited might too, but I am not sure.

Off Road/OR Premium definitely do NOT offer it.

shoota
11-08-2018, 03:21 PM
That's debatable. I know someone with a 2001 4Runner. 400,000 non-highway miles on the original engine (without any rebuild) and he takes it to redline every week.

I'm sitting at 288K on my 2000 4Runner. No major work ever done.

Mattre
11-08-2018, 06:14 PM
What year truck is it?

It's a 2006.

joosttx
11-08-2018, 06:28 PM
Yes, the SR5 and SR5 premium trim lines definitely has 3rd row as an option.

Limited might too, but I am not sure.

Off Road/OR Premium definitely do NOT offer it.

Thank you Thank you!!

p nut
11-08-2018, 06:38 PM
if you're between the 4runner and the tacoma, the choice for me would be easy. 4runner is made in japan afaik. that's what i would buy.

I don’t know if that’s a huge deal. Both my Tacoma’s and 4Runners were good vehicles. Both had their share of troubles, squeaks and rattles. Actually, the only major issue I’ve had was with a 4Runner.

p nut
11-08-2018, 06:41 PM

Before you get too excited, go sit in the 3rd row. Made for someone no taller than 3.5’. Maybe 4’. Landcruiser is not much better. If you want to use the 3rd row, and want a Toyota SUV, the Sequoia is the way to go.

When we need a 3rd row, we take the minivan.

joosttx
11-08-2018, 06:54 PM
Before you get too excited, go sit in the 3rd row. Made for someone no taller than 3.5’. Maybe 4’. Landcruiser is not much better. If you want to use the 3rd row, and want a Toyota SUV, the Sequoia is the way to go.

When we need a 3rd row, we take the minivan.

I have checked out the Land Crusier and it will work just fine. However, I do not like that it comes standard with video screens for the kids. That is a disaster waiting to happen. So, if the 4Runner has a similar sized 3rd row. I am golden.

p nut
11-08-2018, 07:12 PM
I have checked out the Land Crusier and it will work just fine. However, I do not like that it comes standard with video screens for the kids. That is a disaster waiting to happen. So, if the 4Runner has a similar sized 3rd row. I am golden.

LC’s don’t come with rear entertainment standard. It’s an option. Granted maybe a lot of them were optioned that way and you’ll see them on the used market. Especially late models. But 200-series are still going for $40k+ used. That’s nearing 100k mark as well. ~50k miles and you’re looking at $50k+.

4Runner 3rd row has just a tiny bit smaller legroom. Quite a bit narrower though.

joosttx
11-08-2018, 07:15 PM
LC’s don’t come with rear entertainment standard. It’s an option. Granted maybe a lot of them were optioned that way and you’ll see them on the used market. Especially late models. But 200-series are still going for $40k+ used. That’s nearing 100k mark as well. ~50k miles and you’re looking at $50k+.

4Runner 3rd row has just a tiny bit smaller legroom. Quite a bit narrower though.

For the color I want for the 2019 it does come standard.

gemship
11-10-2018, 03:36 PM
First off I will say this post of mine is worthless without pics but since I am pictures less you'll just have to take my word for it. So on the way home today I found a half cord of mixed firewood cut somewhat into split able pieces and the rest had to be cut into smaller pieces with the saw. This was a mix of cherry and white oak at the foot of my street where I live about a two minute drive from my house going bicycle speed. Now I replaced my old GMC full size truck with a Subaru Outback as I mentioned in a previous post. Of course I fretted over the loss of my truck for just this kinda activity but I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to get this wood! With the back seats folded down and a big sheet of plastic tarp like covering over the inside floor of the car I moved that wood pile in four trips. Maybe I could have done it in one or two with the truck but I still made out ok with the car. No excessive sagging of the car and I absolutely couldn't tell I had real weight in it given the car is a 5 speed. This was a day of reckoning for me as I am a truck guy. Or at least that's what I was most of my past vehicle ownership experiences. I definitely think one can live without a truck. Maybe some more planning involved with clean up add on. Like I did have to do a little bit of vacuuming of the interior but really no visible damage and even if so the car was bought used in less then perfect shape. I do think it would be nice to have a utility trailer but not so sure I really need one. For the gain in mpg driving a car with half the size of an engine that was in my truck I am a believer...who needs a truck?

avalonracing
11-10-2018, 04:29 PM
Before you get too excited, go sit in the 3rd row. Made for someone no taller than 3.5’. Maybe 4’.

That's weird. My neighbor takes out her adult friends in the 3rd row of her Runner all the time and none of them are under 5'5".

p nut
11-10-2018, 07:14 PM
That's weird. My neighbor takes out her adult friends in the 3rd row of her Runner all the time and none of them are under 5'5".

Very short trips + tolerant people makes that doable. Sit back there if you can. It’s not fun.