PDA

View Full Version : I didn't ride my bike to vote today, did you?

Doug Fattic
11-06-2018, 08:41 AM
I have an excuse. Kinda. It began to rain as I started my ride to the polling place about a mile and half away so I put my bike back in the shop. I wanted to take a pic of my Messenger bike there (like the ones we make for charity in Ukraine) but maybe in 2 years. Go ahead and document you were better than me today!

R3awak3n
11-06-2018, 08:46 AM
I did not either, its raining here and I am not voting (not a US citizen) but people of paceline, if you have not, GO VOTE! do it for those of us who can't

skiezo
11-06-2018, 08:46 AM
It is only a few blocks so I took the new pup for a walk to my polling place.

saab2000
11-06-2018, 08:54 AM
I walked. It was a bit wet and blustery but the polling place was only a half mile away.

It was very, very busy and I waited in line about half an hour.

Lanternrouge
11-06-2018, 08:58 AM
I voted by mail. I take a lot of time to vote since there are always a lot of candidates and issues on the ballot here.

peanutgallery
11-06-2018, 08:59 AM
I'm voting early...and I'm voting often

Rainy, so I'm driving

oldpotatoe
11-06-2018, 09:00 AM
I voted by mail. I take a lot of time to vote since there are always a lot of candidates and issues on the ballot here.

Sorry for the thread drift, but mail in ballots here in CO also. Far cheaper, much easier to vote(2 weeks), paper record..and a bunch of dropoff places if you don't want to mail it in.

jtakeda
11-06-2018, 09:03 AM
Sorry for the thread drift, but mail in ballots here in CO also. Far cheaper, much easier to vote(2 weeks), paper record..and a bunch of dropoff places if you don't want to mail it in.

+1

In CA the ballot is so frickin huge if I voted in person it would take me 30-45 mins

Seramount
11-06-2018, 09:07 AM
didn't ride to the polling place...it's less than a mile away from the house, so not worth the trouble to kit up.

just drove there, voted, and then went across the street to do some groc shopping.

nobuseri
11-06-2018, 09:09 AM
Raining here as well. Voted on the way to work.

Gotta do it. :beer:

CNY rider
11-06-2018, 09:13 AM
I did indeed!
There was a break in our endless rains........I put the kids on the bus and headed straight out on my Mariposa (cause rain fenders....) and did a 90 minute loop with a stop at town hall to vote.
Headed back up the hill to home, started raining with me 1 minute from our driveway. Pretty much perfect.

bobswire
11-06-2018, 09:13 AM
Voted by mail.

roguedog
11-06-2018, 09:30 AM
Gah. Wanted to but then have early morning meeting and wasn't sure what the line situation would be so drove in case line was long. :(

Such a beautiful, if mildy chilly morning too...

cgolvin
11-06-2018, 09:49 AM
I don't know what this "rain" stuff is that everyone keeps mentioning.

We'll walk the pup the several blocks over to our polling station to drop off our mail-in ballots. The CA ballots are indeed quite lengthy, and I think the new design is an improvement over the old punch-card looking one.

Matthew
11-06-2018, 09:55 AM
Rain here in west Michigan too. Really crappy day out. Pretty crappy fall to be honest. Went from summer heat and humidity to well below average virtually all fall. Going to vote as soon as I am done here, trainer ride tonight while watching hockey!

efixler
11-06-2018, 10:00 AM
It's raining, I rode, and I voted.

Whether or not you ride, VOTE!

JAGI410
11-06-2018, 10:00 AM
Rain/snow mix here. I drove. First time in years where I didn't vote by bike. They also moved my polling place from 2 blocks away to 2 miles away, so that is a factor as well.

biker72
11-06-2018, 10:12 AM
Rode to vote last week.

teleguy57
11-06-2018, 10:35 AM
Did early balloting two weeks ago. Watching returns tonight promises to be a long evening. Good turnout is good citizenship.

Red Tornado
11-06-2018, 10:43 AM
Voted last week. I much prefer early voting to the 1st Tuesday debacle. Although, early here in central TX was plenty busy this time. Drizzle so not riding to work, either.

drewski
11-06-2018, 10:46 AM
Commute every day unless there is lightning, ice or flooding. Job has shower facility which allows be to be humane to the co-workers. :-)
Rode and voted.
Watching the race in Washington. First state to put on a carbon tax initiative on the ballot. I guess carbon frames are going to go up in price.

Doug Fattic
11-06-2018, 10:54 AM
To make up for my sin of not riding in the rain, I rode there for exercise after it stopped drizzling. I put on my wool Campagnolo hat but didn't need any other cycling accessories because I was riding my commuter bike. Designing and making these bikes was a kind of revelation to me. I had turned my old MTB bike I made into a around town bike by adding a kick stand and baskets. It is nothing compared to 8 sp internal gears with a chain guard and integral lock. It just makes everything easier.

I rode the sidewalk at 7mph like the Dutch do. I met another cyclist also on the side walk and we greeted each other.

When i was taking the pic a guy said "is that so you know what it looks like when it gets taken?" He thought he was funny.

gemship
11-06-2018, 11:10 AM
When i was taking the pic a guy said "is that so you know what it looks like when it gets taken?" He thought he was funny.

It was funny. Did you tell him the pic was for proof and posterity of this thread you created? The guy's comment reminds me of this women noticing me looking at my new to me car after getting out of it. It's funny how we observe things or others in how they observe things. She thought I was basking in new car ownership. Really I was just making sure I didn't park too close to the other guy. like they may wanna put a dent in my car for doing so outta spite, I dunno. Nice bike by the way, you could ride that in any ole rainy day by the looks of it. Just gotta dress for the occasion.

livingminimal
11-06-2018, 11:12 AM
I literally live across the street from my polling station.

Ozz
11-06-2018, 11:24 AM
mail in ballots here....and you don't even need a stamp!

Aldus
11-06-2018, 12:06 PM
Did my morning workout on the trainer, then road the commuter bike to vote / spin out the legs afterwards.

No real lines (2-3 deep at most) at the polling station, but busy with activity. In metro Louisville, KY.

Johnny P
11-06-2018, 12:28 PM
I walked to vote.

Bob Ross
11-06-2018, 02:50 PM
I walked, it's only two blocks away. Wife and I decided that we have it too easy

...so we're thinking next election we'll mail-in our votes early, and then on election day rent a 15-passenger van, drive out to some disenfranchised neighborhood, and run a free shuttle service for folks who can't otherwise get to their polls.

exapkib
11-06-2018, 02:53 PM
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1964/30814814937_841023c8ff_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/NWZYUH)

muz
11-06-2018, 03:05 PM
+1

In CA the ballot is so frickin huge if I voted in person it would take me 30-45 mins

Hardly. I voted in person, took 5 minutes if that -- I had already decided what/who to vote.

saab2000
11-06-2018, 03:11 PM
I walked, it's only two blocks away. Wife and I decided that we have it too easy

...so we're thinking next election we'll mail-in our votes early, and then on election day rent a 15-passenger van, drive out to some disenfranchised neighborhood, and run a free shuttle service for folks who can't otherwise get to their polls.

You should join me. I usually rent a few dozen school buses and fill them with illegal immigrants and drive them around between swing states and districts, covering more ground and casting more ballots in one day than most folks can in a lifetime! :rolleyes:

Just kidding folks!

My polling place was busy and very orderly and professionally operated. Made me proud of the work the volunteers put in. I hope the electronic ballot scanning machines are not vulnerable.

Devotion
11-06-2018, 04:39 PM
I rode my red, white and blue bike!

Waldo
11-06-2018, 05:40 PM
I didn't ride either. My polling place is two blocks from my house, it's mid-60s and sunny, so, naturally, I drove...

joosttx
11-06-2018, 06:14 PM
Rode up Mt Tam and then down to the polling station .

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1923/45028632074_cb9c7706ff_h.jpg

Hellgate
11-06-2018, 06:49 PM
Nope, I voted two weeks ago. But I did cut my employees loose three hours early to vote. Go Betto.

Peter P.
11-06-2018, 06:57 PM
I too, traditionally ride to the polls. But I wuss'd out due to the rain, and walked the mile and a half.

So it's dark and it's raining. I dressed appropriately and wore TWO, 2" wide reflective bands on each wrist. Most people drove as if they saw me (one person even tooted their horn) but one person tried hard to muscle their car around me as they took a left turn across my path. Only my banging on their hood and yelling at them got them to stop. Militant?; yeah. But good grief; it sure seems like people are really driving without any concern for others.

I was so pissed, when I returned home I ordered an Amphipod Xinglet (http://www.amphipod.com/products/visibility/ledslighted-bands/xinglet-strobe-plus) and a couple flashing LED reflectors (http://www.amphipod.com/products/visibility/vizletvizlet-led-wearable-reflectors/vizlet-tri-led-taillite) in case I"m wearing a backpack. Hopefully I'll be even more visible next year!

I kept thinking, if I was hit by the car and missed voting, I'd be more pissed because I failed to vote vs. any injuries.

But I still wasn't done with my adventure! The polling station was packed, so they didn't have sufficient private kiosks to fill out the electronic ballot. Instead, I was offered, and sat down at, a cafeteria table and completed the form. In the exit line, I was given my "I voted today!" sticker, then when I inserted my ballot into the collecting machine and it kept spitting out my ballot. It took a dozen tries but when I was done, I was given a SECOND STICKER! (we all know it's really a shredder and it's the Free Masons and the Trilateral Commission voting in or place, right? :rolleyes:)

I had to convince myself the bands I wore were effective so I tested them when I returned home. You can see them sitting on the speaker in the middle of the first photo.