PDA

View Full Version : Ot: If you do nothing else today

skiezo
11-06-2018, 05:01 AM
Get out and do your civic duty and VOTE.

Cicli
11-06-2018, 05:05 AM
Vote early, vote often. The Illinois way.

Hope this thread does not go to pewp.

BlueFly
11-06-2018, 06:05 AM
Amen, Brother!

Got out and do your civic duty and VOTE.

mcteague
11-06-2018, 06:06 AM
Ha,Ha...already voted last week. Only once though. ;)

Even with early voting I had to wait in line for about an hour.. for a mid-term!

Tim

dustyrider
11-06-2018, 06:35 AM
Mail in ballot went out last week! Too easy. :)

oldpotatoe
11-06-2018, 06:36 AM

Even with early voting I had to wait in line for about an hour.. for a mid-term!

Tim

Methinks that's a good thing..mail-in ballots here and voted about a week ago..no waiting!

fa63
11-06-2018, 06:58 AM
Early voting lines here have been pretty long as well. Not that I am complaining; good to see people vote.

marciero
11-06-2018, 07:00 AM
Methinks that's a good thing..mail-in ballots here and voted about a week ago..no waiting!

No. Definitely NOT a good thing.

oldpotatoe
11-06-2018, 07:04 AM
No. Definitely NOT a good thing.

Good turnout, good results, generally, was my point..everybody 'ought' to vote..yes, the voting 'rules', Tuesdays, not a national holiday or WE..make it harder..BUT, nobody gets to complain about the administration, regardless of level, if they don't vote.

marciero
11-06-2018, 07:24 AM
Good turnout, good results, generally, was my point..everybody 'ought' to vote..yes, the voting 'rules', Tuesdays, not a national holiday or WE..make it harder..BUT, nobody gets to complain about the administration, regardless of level, if they don't vote.

Oh yes they do. Unfortunately, many of the barriers to voting are by design and affect certain populations disproportionately. If this is taking these into dark territory I'm sorry. But by urging voters to "do your civic duty" the OP has invited comments on the difficulty in doing so, which happened by the fourth post.

bpm
11-06-2018, 07:34 AM
I voted a week ago. Love that early voting!

Tickdoc
11-06-2018, 07:45 AM
Tried and failed....line out around the church at 6:50 am....I'll try again later on after work.

nalax
11-06-2018, 08:03 AM
Voted early- no line! My college daughter also voted for the first time!

biker72
11-06-2018, 08:12 AM
Rode my bike over to city hall and voted last week.

el cheapo
11-06-2018, 09:39 AM
I see a voting tsunami on the horizon. Surf's up!

Matthew
11-06-2018, 10:01 AM
I vote for no more commercials by candidates, parties, etc. All say the same damn thing. All say they are going to DO the same damn thing. Lower med costs, tough on crime, lower insurances, fix roads. Ugh. Why have different parties? They all spew the same BS. And don't even get me started on the fact radio stations around here play Christmas music before Halloween has even happened. What else can I rant about? Oh, pop music sucks.

chiasticon
11-06-2018, 10:17 AM
my wife this morning: "why is it that it's 2018 and we're still voting on paper, filling in little circles? I'm always waiting for some teacher to yell out 'pencils down!'" :)

allegedly it's the least hack-able though.

dbnm
11-06-2018, 10:20 AM
voted last week.
riding today.

tuscanyswe
11-06-2018, 10:20 AM
my wife this morning: "why is it that it's 2018 and we're still voting on paper, filling in little circles? I'm always waiting for some teacher to yell out 'pencils down!'" :)

allegedly it's the least hack-able though.

Hahah i remember that phrase.. Tho i was to eager to be done allrdy, so by the time i heard that phrase i was just smirking. Untill i get the exam back that is..

Cant vote but i sure would if i could.

gemship
11-06-2018, 10:53 AM
I vote for no more commercials by candidates, parties, etc. All say the same damn thing. All say they are going to DO the same damn thing. Lower med costs, tough on crime, lower insurances, fix roads. Ugh. Why have different parties? They all spew the same BS. And don't even get me started on the fact radio stations around here play Christmas music before Halloween has even happened. What else can I rant about? Oh, pop music sucks.

I get it. I don't see much point in voting when you live in a state where the majority votes in a certain party. Personally I'm not a fan of either the two big parties so I vote independent or rainbow party and I know that my vote will only count in the sense of being true to myself but surely my vote is a lost one at that so why bother?

rnhood
11-06-2018, 11:12 AM
I get it. I don't see much point in voting when you live in a state where the majority votes in a certain party. Personally I'm not a fan of either the two big parties so I vote independent or rainbow party and I know that my vote will only count in the sense of being true to myself but surely my vote is a lost one at that so why bother?

I tend to agree with Matthew, but I disagree with not voting because a vote isn't going to make any difference - even though that is a correct statement. Yes, voting independent will not make a difference however, I have far more respect for someone that votes his conscience instead of voting merely to prevent someone, or some party, from getting in office. Or, because it seemingly will not make a difference.

What we really need is more independents in office.

Ozz
11-06-2018, 11:21 AM
...so why bother?

cuz people look at how people voted, and when they see a big block of "independent" votes they need to figure out what is missing from their message to pull you into their camp.

Voting lets campaign people know that their message is missing something.

godfrey1112000
11-06-2018, 11:26 AM
https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2018/11/06

Tony Edwards
11-06-2018, 11:28 AM

Even if you take that view, there are invariably very important state races which will likely affect the direction of your state, and have great impact on whether more gerrymandering occurs in 2020 (which affects your state's representation at the federal level). I don't find this a compelling reason not to vote.

fiamme red
11-06-2018, 11:43 AM

allegedly it's the least hack-able though.I miss the old voting machines.

http://www.brooklyneagle.com/sites/default/files/voting%20machine_0.jpg

93KgBike
11-06-2018, 12:13 PM

Those who despise American freedom persist not by advancing the agency of individuals, but by controlling those who can be frightened, dissuading those who can be discouraged, manipulating those who can be placated, and crushing those who resist.

Even if you can't stand either party, or the way we run the electoral process in America, turn off the TV, turn off the radio, put your phone-feed down, stand up and please exercise your agency. Every person matters.

I miss the old voting machines

Well, if you are SCUBA certified, there are several hundred at the bottom of Lake Michigan you could visit.

drewski
11-06-2018, 12:30 PM
Get out and do your civic duty and VOTE.

I can shut this thread down in 12 notes Alex.

One party is ornately evil and corrupt and one is corrupt. Heaven help our children. Don't count on big government to help.

CSTRider
11-06-2018, 12:44 PM
In addition to voting, I'd like to ask anyone who is able to please consider donating to Brent Taylor's Go Fund Me page (https://www.gofundme.com/mayor-brent-taylor/). Brent Taylor was Mayor of North Ogden UT, and serving as a Major with the Utah National Guard in Afghanistan when he was killed just a few days ago. By all accounts, Taylor was not only a selfless patriot, he was a non-partisan and collaborative leader. Taylor's last words in social media (https://www.facebook.com/brent.taylor.14019/posts/2427009953980880) were:

As the USA gets ready to vote in our own election next week, I hope everyone back home exercises their precious right to vote. And that whether the Republicans or the Democrats win, that we all remember that we have far more as Americans that unites us than divides us. “United we stand, divided we fall.” God Bless America.

If you have a moment and can spare a few dollars to help Brent Taylor's widow with their family of seven children, here's a link to his Go Fund Me page (https://www.gofundme.com/mayor-brent-taylor/).

Thanks for reading, Jim

makoti
11-06-2018, 12:48 PM

Tim

5 min. In. Out. Waited longer for the rain to slow down to walk back to my car than I did to vote.

benadrian
11-06-2018, 12:52 PM
The wife and I rolled downhill to our polling place to get there right when it opened. Bike to Vote Day!

makoti
11-06-2018, 12:58 PM

I want a new law passed. If I see an ad for a particular candidate on my TV or get one in my mailbox, I should have the right to vote for (or against) that person even if they are outside my district. This year, I got LOTS of direction on who to vote for in VA's 11th district. Daily stuff. But I live in the 10th, so no say AND not one thing for my candidates. Likewise, all the MD races. If you're going to bother me endlessly, give me a say.
(I'm kidding about this, of course. Sort of)

joosttx
11-06-2018, 01:16 PM
vote like your bike depended on it.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1923/45028632074_cb9c7706ff_h.jpg

redir
11-06-2018, 01:39 PM
Not much of a line this morning here in Virginia. Got in and out.

I think Oregon and Washington are the two states that got it right. Everyone simply votes by mail. Not everyone has a working car or public transportation and some can't even get time off of work.

oldpotatoe
11-06-2018, 01:41 PM

I think Oregon and Washington are the two states that got it right. Everyone simply votes by mail. Not everyone has a working car or public transportation and some can't even get time off of work.

Colorado too.

redir
11-06-2018, 01:45 PM
Colorado too.

Oh? Ok I guess I thought it was just two, perhaps there are more. Makes perfect sense. Do you have to pay for a stamp? Is there a special envelope? I imagine people are concerned about lost mail or unscrupulous postmen.

jtbadge
11-06-2018, 01:52 PM
Oh? Ok I guess I thought it was just two, perhaps there are more. Makes perfect sense. Do you have to pay for a stamp? Is there a special envelope? I imagine people are concerned about lost mail or unscrupulous postmen.

In CA you can request mail ballots when you register. Postage is paid, and there’s a tracking system. Also you are sent an informative voting guide and sample ballot well ahead of time to inform yourself on issues and candidates. But these are states not in the business of suppressing the vote.

Bob Ross
11-06-2018, 02:36 PM
I'm always waiting for some teacher to yell out 'pencils down!'" :)

Thread drift: One of the most lucrative jobs I ever had during my career as a live sound audio engineer was installing & operating the temporary public address system for the Bar Exam in Massachusetts.

Their requirements were an absolutely ENORMOUS sound system: Enough speakers and amplifiers to do concert-level sound in a >20,000-seat venue
...for a room that held fewer than 1,000 wannabe lawyers.

And the reason they required all this PA horsepower was simple: They needed to be absolutely certain that everyone taking the Bar Exam could not claim "I didn't hear them!" when the proctor announced "pencils down"

...otherwise, lawsuits. :banana:

Vientomas
11-06-2018, 02:44 PM
What? :cool:

exapkib
11-06-2018, 02:54 PM
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1960/30814816287_cf0d5d9364_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/NWZZiZ)

Tony Edwards
11-06-2018, 03:00 PM
Thread drift: One of the most lucrative jobs I ever had during my career as a live sound audio engineer was installing & operating the temporary public address system for the Bar Exam in Massachusetts.

Their requirements were an absolutely ENORMOUS sound system: Enough speakers and amplifiers to do concert-level sound in a >20,000-seat venue
...for a room that held fewer than 1,000 wannabe lawyers.

And the reason they required all this PA horsepower was simple: They needed to be absolutely certain that everyone taking the Bar Exam could not claim "I didn't hear them!" when the proctor announced "pencils down"

...otherwise, lawsuits. :banana:

Interesting. I took the bar exam in a giant room in the Oakland Convention Center, and if memory serves we had no PA system at all.

Mark McM
11-06-2018, 03:01 PM

Voting for a candidate who is unlikely to win actually can have a very real and tangible benefit to that candidate and their party (particularly if they are a minor political party). Candidates from qualified political parties can become eligible for public funding for their campaigns, based on the number of votes that party received in preceding elections. This can make a significant difference for minor party candidates. There is also the very real, though less tangible benefit that minor parties and their candidates can increase their legitimacy based percentage of votes received in prior elections.

So even a vote for a candidate with no chance of winning may not be a wasted vote.

Llewellyn
11-06-2018, 03:12 PM
Our elections are always held on Saturday and IME there are long queues in the morning but after lunch time you can generally walk straight in and be out again in less than 5 or 10 minutes.

ftf
11-06-2018, 03:22 PM

It's two stamps, and it's in a special envelope.

Tony T
11-06-2018, 03:33 PM

makoti
11-06-2018, 03:57 PM
Our elections are always held on Saturday and IME there are long queues in the morning but after lunch time you can generally walk straight in and be out again in less than 5 or 10 minutes.

Saturdays? When people are likely off & can vote easily? That's crazy talk! I'll bet you even made voting compulsory, too. ;)

OtayBW
11-06-2018, 04:05 PM
I guess I am amazed by some of the negative stuff in this thread stemming from a simple invitation to vote. Good grief.

kevinvc
11-06-2018, 04:27 PM

In Oregon, you're supposed to use a stamp to mail in your ballot. But if you don't, it will still be counted and the county will pay for the postage. You get an envelope for the ballot itself. It has to be signed and the signature is compared to what is on file to determine if it's actually from the person registered. This envelope also has a tracking number, so you can look online to see if your ballot was received and processed. There is also an outer security envelope that you can use so your name can't be read by the postal carrier or anyone else until it gets to the county elections office.

There are also drop-off sites throughout the state for people who don't trust the mail delivery system or wait until too close to election day to mail their ballot in.

One thing that I really like is that you are automatically registered to vote when you get a state driver's license or ID card.

It's a great system and is much more equitable than forcing people to take time off from work, arrange transportation or jump through other hoops for early or absentee voting. I know that elections are run at the state level, but I really would like to see a more uniform system that makes it easier for people to exercise their franchise.

oldpotatoe
11-06-2018, 04:59 PM

If you mail it in, 2 stamps(altho they WILL accept if only one)..special envelope/package BUT there are scads of ballot dropoff places in Colorado.

Really, people are concerned about unscrupulous mail people?? I guess the sign of the times..big sigh.

I think it ought to be mandatory to vote..like some sort of $ 'penalty' on your income taxes if you didn't vote..Looks like the turnout for this midterm will be much higher than the paltry 62% for the 2016 election..good!!

Gummee
11-06-2018, 05:15 PM

Here, we vote at Cow Pie High. I work noon-2000 on Tuesdays, so was going to vote on my ride. The HS is on the way home from my loop(s).

...but it was raining like a sonofagun thru 85% of my ride and I was WAY too wet to stop. Rode home, showered quickly, then off to vote. Gore Tex, fenders, and fixed gear FTW!

Got there early enough to deal with a line and still make it to work at noon.

Walked in and there was ONE person in front of me. Voted, walked out, and noticed I had 40min to kill. ...so I ran errands.

Still made it to work early. ...which is rare for me.

M

godfrey1112000
11-06-2018, 05:19 PM
Especially the 2000 pound booths with the mechanical. Curtains
Two levers at the top
I only pulled the straight democratic ticket lever once before the were replaced :banana:

I miss the old voting machines.

Bradford
11-06-2018, 05:20 PM

In my town in Colorado, our local police station has a vote drop off bin in the parking lot so you can drop off you ballot for a few weeks before the election and not even get out of your car. In Denver, on a major street near my office, they blocked off a lane so you can drive up and vote at a table or drop off your ballot for the last two weeks.

As for the postman, I haven't heard any concerns from my fellow citizens about postman committing felonies by stealing ballots, any more than any of us are concerned about people at the polls stealing our ballots.

All states should be this committed to democracy and make it convenient to vote.

SlowPokePete
11-06-2018, 06:03 PM
I voted.
So did my wife.

SPP