PDA

View Full Version : shimano road hydro questions - mtb calipers with road levers?

jbreebs
11-05-2018, 01:31 PM
I recently picked up a gently used 105 hydraulic group for a build I'm doing.
The brakes are the newer flat mount variety; the frame they are going on is the ol trusty post mount (IS adapter) variety.

Can anyone comment on the use of shimano hydraulic mtb calipers with a road hydro lever? I know I've seen some photos floating around here of such a combo, but I'm curious about the performance and whether or not it's actually a good idea.

I'm thinking that it may be easier to find an appropriate caliper from shimano's mtb line (slx/xt?) than try to scrounge up a road hydro post mount caliper without dropping a ton of cash.

Also, the brake lines were cut but appear to have a quick disconnect in the line - anyone know if that quick disconnect is re-usable at all, or do I need to re-run new hydro lines from the lever to the caliper?

joosttx
11-05-2018, 01:45 PM
I recently picked up a gently used 105 hydraulic group for a build I'm doing.
The brakes are the newer flat mount variety; the frame they are going on is the ol trusty post mount (IS adapter) variety.

Can anyone comment on the use of shimano hydraulic mtb calipers with a road hydro lever? I know I've seen some photos floating around here of such a combo, but I'm curious about the performance and whether or not it's actually a good idea.

I'm thinking that it may be easier to find an appropriate caliper from shimano's mtb line (slx/xt?) than try to scrounge up a road hydro post mount caliper without dropping a ton of cash.

Also, the brake lines were cut but appear to have a quick disconnect in the line - anyone know if that quick disconnect is re-usable at all, or do I need to re-run new hydro lines from the lever to the caliper?

I have XTR calipers paired with 6800 shifters. There is a certain hose /cable that you need to do it right. So I’m told. They work fine. The campy ones are nicer.

SpeedyChix
11-05-2018, 05:37 PM
Recent thread on this here (barbs, fittings, etc). Not sure if you can reuse the easy connect (inline) but seems like you could with a new olives.
https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f40/hydraulic-road-disc-50869.html

bikinchris
11-05-2018, 06:51 PM
It will probably work. The choice is to use the softer road tubing or the stiffer MTB tubing. The hose will actually flex on road brakes. Don't use connectors if you can avoid it. That leaves fewer questions if you have to track down a leak.

zank
11-05-2018, 06:53 PM
A SM-BH90-SBM or SM-BH90-SB will work with that combo. You'll just need the 9 mm nut that comes with the lever.

jbreebs
11-06-2018, 12:36 PM
thanks for all the info! looks like I just need the right hose and I'm good to go