PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on thru axles: is there universal threading?

FastforaSlowGuy
11-04-2018, 11:47 PM
Is the thread pitch the same on all thru axles? In other words if I am replacing a 12x100 thru axle, will all 12x100 axles work?

jtakeda
11-04-2018, 11:55 PM
NO!!!

I learned this the hard way. Check your thread pitch! Check how much thread length you need while you’re at it!

joosttx
11-05-2018, 12:38 AM
Sadly no. Here is an article that should help you sort it all out.

http://www.bermstyle.com/how-to-determine-thread-pitch-on-rear-thru-axle/

When you do figure out what you need check out PMW thru axles they are highly functional meaning there are several ways to release them if one way gets messed up. Super easy to operate. And they are super cool looking.

SlowPokePete
11-05-2018, 03:20 AM
Sadly my Lynskey fork takes a unicorn 2.0 thread pitch (which nobody else seems to make), so at this point I cannot replace it.

I swapped the rear for a Paul "Set and Forget" which are also worth checking out...

SPP

wkeller79
11-05-2018, 08:11 AM
Sadly my Lynskey fork takes a unicorn 2.0 thread pitch (which nobody else seems to make), so at this point I cannot replace it.

I swapped the rear for a Paul "Set and Forget" which are also worth checking out...

SPP

Came here to state the Lynskey 2.0 thread pitch debacle. Bought their Gravel Pro Disc fork for my Moots, and have been unable to find a thru-axle with that particular pitch. Nonsense.

duff_duffy
11-05-2018, 09:30 AM
Wow, I never knew there were so many options. Crazy...Sadly no. Here is an article that should help you sort it all out.

http://www.bermstyle.com/how-to-determine-thread-pitch-on-rear-thru-axle/

When you do figure out what you need check out PMW thru axles they are highly functional meaning there are several ways to release them if one way gets messed up. Super easy to operate. And they are super cool looking.

Gummee
11-05-2018, 12:13 PM
Wow, I never knew there were so many options. Crazy...

I guess that's why the frame and fork come with them.

Never stopped and thought about it, but with all the other 'standards' out there, why would TAs be any different?

M

woolly
11-05-2018, 12:21 PM
While we're on the topic of TA's - how easy, or "universal" is it to change a 15mm thru-axle front hub to 12mm?

Apologies in advance for the partial thread hijack. . .

GregL
11-05-2018, 12:28 PM
Yet another reason for me to hold off on disc brakes and through axles on road and cross bikes...

Greg

bshell
11-05-2018, 12:41 PM
Oh quick release skewers, how I heart thee. Let me count the ways...

polyhistoric
11-05-2018, 12:47 PM
There are really only a few "standards" for Road/CX/Gravel at the moment. Length and thread pitch being the determinants. These folks do a fine job setting you straight:

https://robertaxleproject.com/what-axle-do-i-need/

Gummee
11-05-2018, 12:57 PM
While we're on the topic of TA's - how easy, or "universal" is it to change a 15mm thru-axle front hub to 12mm?

Apologies in advance for the partial thread hijack. . .

Depends on the hub. Some like the DT Swiss or Bontrager aren't bad: just end caps

My HED wheels were end caps in the back and replacement axle/caps in the front

I have a pair of Zipp 303 tubulars that aren't convertible at all, so that wheel needs new hubs.

M

ptourkin
11-05-2018, 01:37 PM
Yet another reason for me to hold off on disc brakes and through axles on road and cross bikes...

Greg

As pointed out above, the frame and fork come with the correct axles. It's only an issue if you want to replace one and then it's not that big a deal unless you're dealing with a fu like Lynskey. You do you, though.

GregL
11-05-2018, 01:51 PM
As pointed out above, the frame and fork come with the correct axles. It's only an issue if you want to replace one and then it's not that big a deal unless you're dealing with a fu like Lynskey. You do you, though.
Understood. Here's my issue: I currently have four road and gravel bikes that represent three different manufacturers. I can swap wheels across them with no changes in hardware - the same hubs and quick release skewers work with all four bikes. If I move to through axles, I need to ensure that all my bike frames/forks use the same hub spacing, though axle diameter, and thread pitch. And to be able to swap wheels, I will likely have to spend some amount of time tinkering with caliper mounting on each frame to ensure the discs are correctly aligned. At this juncture, it's just not worth it to me.

Greg

ptourkin
11-05-2018, 02:16 PM
Understood. Here's my issue: I currently have four road and gravel bikes that represent three different manufacturers. I can swap wheels across them with no changes in hardware - the same hubs and quick release skewers work with all four bikes. If I move to through axles, I need to ensure that all my bike frames/forks use the same hub spacing, though axle diameter, and thread pitch. And to be able to swap wheels, I will likely have to spend some amount of time tinkering with caliper mounting on each frame to ensure the discs are correctly aligned. At this juncture, it's just not worth it to me.

Greg

The bikes don't have to share the same thread pitch. The right axle is already on the frame or fork. You don't swap them with the wheels. Diameter is all the same.

Yes, you have to have the correct spacing - just as with rim brake bikes skewers, (or use end caps) but it is not as complicated as some are making out.

When I swap out my HED alloy dyno wheel for the wider carbon wheel on my road bike, I have to swap brake pads and adjust the calipers for width. For me, swapping 700 for 27.5 discs on my mountain and gravel bikes is a much faster and less complicated process.

jtakeda
11-05-2018, 02:18 PM
The bikes don't have to share the same thread pitch. The right axle is already on the frame or fork. You don't swap them with the wheels. Diameter is all the same.

Yes, you have to have the correct spacing - just as with rim brake bikes skewers, (or use end caps) but it is not as complicated as some are making out.

When I swap out my HED alloy dyno wheel for the wider carbon wheel on my road bike, I have to swap brake pads and adjust the calipers for width. For me, swapping 700 for 27.5 discs on my mountain and gravel bikes is a much faster and less complicated process.

Yup.^^ he’s got it. Axle stays with frame not wheels.

So if the spacing is the same you’re good to go

thermalattorney
11-05-2018, 02:30 PM
If I move to through axles, I need to ensure that all my bike frames/forks use the same hub spacing, though axle diameter, and thread pitch.

Greg

As others have noted there's only a single spec for rear thru axles (142x12) and two front ones (100x15 and 100x12).

If you were careful to buy disc hubs that can be converted between 15 and 12mm using end caps, you wouldn't be as limited when it came to frame choices. The process of swapping end caps takes under a minute, it's as simple as pulling one pair off and pushing the other pair back on.

As for ensuring caliper alignment.... you'd most likely be able to shim them all to match. That said, this is definitely a large undertaking. Good luck! :beer:

Gummee
11-05-2018, 02:45 PM

If you have an older-but-newer 26er floating about the garage, you can put 700c wheels and smaller tires on that to get your version of the C-dale 'Bad Boy.' ...as long as you have discs...

The discs don't care what the outer dia of the tires/rims are...

M

SpeedyChix
11-05-2018, 05:42 PM
If you have a 15TA hub and a 12TA fork: some forks will allow the use of a 15mm --> 12mm shim that is slid into your front hub.