PDA

View Full Version : Semi-OT: The perfect Spring Break spot?

Brendan Quirk
11-13-2006, 05:52 AM
My wife and I are planning a spring break trip for the family. We have 3 kids under the age of 7, and what we learned last year during a wonderful trip to Carlsbad, CA is that you don't need a heck of a lot in the way of formal distraction (i.e. LegoLand, Sea World, Zoo) for kids this age. They soak in the novelty of the completely new surroundings. We had an awesome week of just poking around on the beach, playing like crazy in new cool playgrounds, etc.

And I loved Carlsbad, too, because the road riding there is pretty fantastic.

While the idea of going back to Carlsbad is a good one, we're inclined to try someplace similar-but-different. Our first choice was the general area around Santa Barbara -- but given that we've placed a pretty big priority on staying in a house right on top of the beach, we can't find much. Amazingly, 6 months advance notice in finding a house isn't notice enough: All the good (and affordable) houses are already rented.

So I'm appealing to the forum for advice: Any ideas of places to go for spring break where (a) the weather is fairly warm, (b) there's a decent variety of kid-friendly stuff, and (c) where the road riding is really good?

We're fond of the Texas Hill Country, but we fear that it's a bit light on (b) and we're not ready to give up the idea of the beach just yet. And since Spring Break for us is in March, mountains are out since it's too cold.

Can anyone offer me a quick education in the unknown cool places of California or elsewhere??? Thanks, Brendan

Kevan
11-13-2006, 06:31 AM
I can't offer a whole lot of detail, but the riding up in the Santa Monica Mountains is darn nice.

Climb01742
11-13-2006, 08:24 AM
not exactly unknown but santa barbara and just north. my daughter (age 9) dug our trip there last year. she's asked us repeatedly if we're going back.

texbike
11-13-2006, 08:24 AM
Although its not the warmest spot, the Bay area has to be one of the best places to vacation. Within an hour of the City you have Marin Headlands, Muir Woods (beautiful Redwood groves), Mt. Tam, multiple beaches throughout the area, super hiking options, and an incredible array of road riding. The scenery is stunning!

San Francisco has more family-esque distractions than you can shake a stick at. Street cars, museaums, parks out the wazoo, and hilly streets to get the quads burning. There are a ton of little neighborhoods and areas with their own flavor. There are also Alcatraz tours, ferry rides, etc.

If you don't mind staying in hostel-style accomodations (they have private rooms available), the Marin Headlands hostel is probably the best one I have ever stayed at. It is a half mile walk to the beach and located in a gorgeous grove of huge Eucalyptus trees. The hostel itself is an early 1900s hospital building that has been converted for hotel use. It is a beautiful old building with a huge porch. The hostel is only 10 minutes from San Francisco (across the Golden Gate), but is incredibly peaceful. You would never know the City is as close as it is.

Take a look at: http://www.nps.gov/goga .

It is also a short hop over to Saulsalito or Tiburon which have nice marina areas and more parks.

Anyway, the area has provided some of our most enjoyable U.S. vacations.

Cheers,

Texbike