PDA

View Full Version : Phil VS. King headset/BBcombo

sfghbiker
11-04-2018, 12:06 PM
rebuilding my old mtb and due to vanity syndrome want to put on an orange headset with matching outboard BB. I am going to go either Phil Wood or Chris King. thoughts? I've never had a problem with any of my Chris King headsets but have also had very good luck with Phil hubs. which do you pick?

thedvlsh1
12-11-2018, 04:15 PM
Chris King.

Gummee
12-11-2018, 05:18 PM
Acros

M

FlashUNC
12-11-2018, 05:22 PM
I'd pick neither personally.

Slamcarneyson
12-11-2018, 05:43 PM
CK BBs are good if you have the tools to service it (injector and grease gun). You're going for the outboard bb, right?

joosttx
12-11-2018, 05:47 PM
I have owned both CK HS/BB and PW HS/BB so I can give some insight.

CK headsets are the bomb nothing wrong with them. Many years of use without issue except I had one destroyed after three years of use in horrible conditions.

PW BB's are bulletproof no issues after several years of riding one I bought used. I prefer Kogel BBs over all of them.

I am not a fan of CK BB although I think they are good. I had one fail in an awful way and never went back. But I know others who use them.

I have owned a PW headset for 6 months and it performs perfectly.

Either brand is fine but I give the edge to Philwood because I think their BB's are bulletproof.

Plus the anodization on Phil Wood products is nicer.

bikinchris
12-12-2018, 08:21 AM
While I have a high opinion of both companies, I recently was asked to replace a stock outboard bearing with a higher quality replacement.
When I looked into them, I found out they both use adapters to fit the through spindle of cranks like Shimano or SRAM.
I wound up with a BB from Wheels Mtg with Enduro bearings. Unfortunately they don't come in colors.