PDA

View Full Version : Winter fears & gears

cribbit
11-03-2018, 04:35 PM
Winter is coming and I'm living in NYC instead of California. Oops.

I have access to QBP and of course normal retail sites. QBP doesn't seem as price competitive for apparel as parts.

Looking for brand/specific item recommendations, both from this list and other things I've forgotten.

1. Gloves. Currently using old ski gloves but the fingers are really short since the thumb part gets pushed back by my shifter hood. Are there better gloves for biking?
2. Balaclava/ski mask. For the former, how much do I have to worry about getting one that fits under my helmet?
3. Goggles? I wear glasses and biking in the rain is not fun.
4. Leg warmers/tights
5. Waterproof windbreaker, especially a reflective one
6. Earmuffs. How will these fit with a helmet?

Thanks for any help!

steamer
11-03-2018, 05:18 PM
A few thoughts....

1. Get a pair of winter specific cycling gloves. PI makes some nices ones.

2. I have a wool balaclava that is pretty thin, so it fits under a helmet, but adds a lot of warmth. Wool is a great cold weather cycling material, because even if it gets wet, it stays warm (sorta.....way better than synthetics at least).

3. I use eyeshields with a Rx insert. I have a couple lenses for different days. Clear, amber, and smoke.

4. Go for bibs. You will want a light pair, and a heavy pair. Wear both on the coldest of rides. I recommend tights without pads so you can wear your normal shorts, and layer the tights, or not, as needed. For my heavy pair, I really like PI Amfibs.

5. You don't want a waterproof jacket except for when riding in a moderately heavy or heavy rain. Because anything that is waterproof will breathe either poorly or not at all. Riding the cold is all about moisture management, and once you start sweating, you can very easily get cold and clammy under your waterproof. Wind protection is important though. You can get wind breaking without poor breatheability, but you have to be careful. A fabric with a Gore windstopper layer is a good choice as it blocks wind but still breathes very well. I like the Castelli Gabba / Perfetto line. Also, a good vest with a mesh back is nice. Windblock the front, and breathe out the back. A good vest over a baselayer and heavy wool jersey is a nice combo.

6. I like skull caps, earbands, and caps with ear flaps better than earmuffs. Just a personal preference of mine.

Misc: Get yourself a couple nice baselayers. Wool and synthetic. Wool works nice next to the body. Layer as needed.

Think about your feet. Winter specific cycling boots are the bomb but pricey. At least get a good pair of shoe covers.

I also find a thin neck gaiter to be very helpful in weather below 40 deg. F.

Gummee
11-04-2018, 07:28 AM
If you have access to Q, that should mean you have access to EP other places too. Lake makes some great winter boots. Ditto w Northwave.

I've been wearing Castelli stuff for a few winters now. I'm tempted by the new RoS Alpha, but don't work for a shop any more...

Lazer is now part of S-Tec. I really like my Lazer 'aero' helmet with no vents in the front for winer riding. Just enough air going thru that my head doesn't get too hot. All I need is an earband for even deep winter riding.

Smartwool is your friend. Ditto with mesh base layers. Both together are a tough combo to beat under something windproof.

AFA which layers? That all depends on you as a rider. I'm usually wearing less than everyone else because I run hot.

HTH

M

R3awak3n
11-04-2018, 07:43 AM
Winter is coming and I'm living in NYC instead of California. Oops.

I have access to QBP and of course normal retail sites. QBP doesn't seem as price competitive for apparel as parts.

Looking for brand/specific item recommendations, both from this list and other things I've forgotten.

1. Gloves. Currently using old ski gloves but the fingers are really short since the thumb part gets pushed back by my shifter hood. Are there better gloves for biking?
2. Balaclava/ski mask. For the former, how much do I have to worry about getting one that fits under my helmet?
4. Leg warmers/tights

Thanks for any help!

1- I have rapha and defeet... gloves are tricky because you usually need a couple of pairs, some for when its cold and some for when its REALLY cold.
2- I have a rapha one and one I found at Lowes... Both do the same thing, the rapha is nicer but also cost me 4x more.
3- I just wear glasses and deal with it. Its no fun cycling with goggles.
4- Get tights
5- This is super important, I have a rapha one and twin six. Both nice.
6- I wear a winter hat... much better and also warms you you. Heat leaves through your head so get a winter hat.

7- yes, you did not ask for this one, but shoes... you want winter shoes... It gets cold as hell here, booties don't quite make it when it gets to 30 degrees. Get winter shoes, it will be the best thing you ever buy

edit - oh yeah, merino baser layers... yes, its expensive but its amazing. Sometimes I put on a merino base and a winter jacket and I am toasty

jensenn
11-04-2018, 08:02 AM
I also moved from California to NYC 7 years ago. Here are some things I've learned.

1. This depends on how cold your hands get. I have friends that don't wear gloves until it get to the 30s. I need them as soon as it hits 50s and you'll need different ones for different temps. I have about 4 pairs that I use.
- Thin wool or mechanic gloves for mid 40s-50s.
- Thicker leather or Ninja Ice work gloves down to low 30s.
- Lobster gloves in the 20s. Wool liner under these if in the teens.

2. I prefer a combo of a wool winter hat that covers your ears and a neck gaiter. These will give you the ability to regular heat better. A good neck gaiter than be rolled up and over your cheeks and ears for added warmth.

3. I stick with cycling glasses and add a layer of vaseline on my face anything under 30s.

4. Winter bib/tights are all you need here IMO.

5. A jacket with a pit zip is magic but I found that layering properly is the trick to staying warm. Wool base layers as mentioned before are amazing. I also bring a vest with me if I have a doubt that I am not dressed warm enough. Remember that it's better to be overdressed in the winter than under. For those super cold days I bring a pack able down vest or jacket.

6. Going to add that you should also look into shoes or grab some good shoe covers. I have options for those too depending on the temps. Toe covers, Defeet, and Endura. Duct tape over the shoe vents and wool socks will help a lot. Ride with your shoes a little loose. If you're desperate you can do the plastic bag or foil in the shoe or in between your shoes and shoe cover.

Took a couple years to figure this all out. I try to ride outside as much as possible and have ridden all the way down to 3 degrees.

Hope this helps!

Andy340
11-04-2018, 08:40 AM
2 things I have found essential for winter clothing in addition to above since I moved to NE: dedicated winter shoes (I have Northwave extreme GTX and highly recommend) and a size larger helmet for days when I need to add layers to keep my head from freezing e.g. wool head band over wool hat to ensure my ears are covered fully - gets tight under my usual helmet size)

Onno
11-04-2018, 09:03 AM
I use a lot of my cross-country skiing clothing for riding when it gets cold out, but I have a hard time staying warm on the bike, especially feet and hands. The two most recent purchases that have completely solved the problem are:
Wahoo Kickr Snap
Zwift subscription

Now I can stay warm on the bike, and stay fit for skiing!

zzy
11-04-2018, 09:06 AM
It gets cold but not THAT cold here in the city. Temps drop a few degrees when you get away from the heat island effect of the city but still it rarely gets so bad you need anything more than good gloves, hat, shoe covers, and jacket. You can even get away with a simple windproof jacket if you layer well. Windproof bibs really help too. But warm baselayer, thermal layer, windproof layer takes care of me for all but the very worst days.

Googles and balaclava are silly. A thin thermal cap that covers your ears well along with a neck gaiter/buff that you can pull over your ears on really cold days is enough.

On average, the daily highs are above freezing here even in January. Your biggest enemy is really the slush and wet. Waterproof shoes/covers/socks/fenders really help. I know you're coming from Socal but you'll be fine.

Bradford
11-04-2018, 09:37 AM
4. Leg warmers/tights

!

I have been commuting and riding in winter for 30 years now and have developed an approach that works for me. I only care about utility and derive no pleasure from new gear or brands. I also don't care about riding fast since I prefer to slow down in the cold...too many close calls with patches of ice in my time to be head down and pounding it. The key for me is using layers and having multiple options to dress for the occasion. I take some time at 5:00 AM with a cup of coffee every morning to read the weather, including both temp and wind, and decide which options to use for that day. Options are the key, a single solution to cold doesn't work for me...I need to be able to dial it in for 5 degree changes.

1) Ski gloves keep you just as warm, and warmer if you have gauntlet ski gloves; if warm is what you need, pick up a pair on Sierra Trading post and you are done. However, I commute in the dark during the winter and cycling-gloves have reflective strips on them. Hand singles in the dark with ski gloves are useless, but with reflective gloves, cars still see them. I have Pearl Izumi gloves that are a little too warm for anything above the 30s, so I also use an old pair of windproof fleece gloves for warmer rides in the light.

2) Commuting in Denver can have big temp swings, even from the dark to when the sun comes up. So I moved on from balaclavas a few years ago and picked up a face mask with a velcro fastener in the back. Now when it warms up a bit and I want to change my layers, I can stop, peel of the facemask without taking off my helmet or hat, and get back to riding in a few seconds. It also allows me to control my head temp independently and I don't have to worry about how it fits under my helmet.

3) I've thought about goggles for rides in the low 20s when my eyeballs get cold, but I suffered through it when I was younger and just don't ride under 25 now that I'm old and soft. No help here on that.

4) I have bad knees and covering them is more important to me than most. Knee warmers from 55-70, tights from 35-55, tights with rain pants under 35 degrees. I often use tights up to 60 if I'm feeling week and wimpy. I mixed in leg warmers before, but I now ride with wool socks and just use higher wool socks if I want more coverage.

5) I have multiple options. Pearl Izumi vest for the 60s, Pearl Izumi full wind breaker for the 50s, REI cycling jacket for the 40s (which lets just a bit of air in), and then I'll throw on the vest under the REI jacket for really cold days to shut out all the wind. I use a rain jacket for rain, sleet, and snow. I don't have a need for a lighter, rain-proof wind breaker. In Denver, light rain evaporates and I use my rain jacket if it is heavy.

More important than the jacket is what you wear underneath, so don't get a form-fitting, aero jacket, get one that allows for layers. My main options are a fleece (skiing fleece or cycling fleece, doesn't matter), a fleece vest (fluffy if you have one), and the wind vest. I also will put on a long-sleeved skiing underwear top under my cycling jersey, with a zip up high collar, if it gets under 30.

6) Get some skull caps. I have three, a head sweats with a warm band around the ears for 40-55 (I have had this for at least 20 years, so they may not make it anymore), a light skull cap and a heavy skull cap. I bought the skull caps on Amazon and they are not cycling specific. Anything works, just make sure it covers your ears. I bought the ones that dip down with an extra ear shaped curve

7) Not asked for but would help: Winter boots that allow for think socks and a toe warmer. You really can tell the difference and I was pissed at myself for waiting so long to pick some up. Mine are bigger than my regular shoes so I can have the options of thick socks or thick socks plus toe warmers. My regular commuting shoes are good from about 45 degrees up, but I really like the boots under 45 degrees. I use ski socks or heavy wool socks, no need for anything cycling specific.

A bike that takes fenders and wider tires if you are riding in the wet or snow.

Studded tires if you are riding in snow that could accumulate or under freezing with ice pockets lingering around.

Photo-chromic lenses if you are going from dark to light rides.

Chap stick

Lights.

The key for me is a modular system that allows for options to meet conditions, plus the ability to take clothes off as rides change. It is common for my morning ride to change 10 degrees or so when the sun comes up and for my afternoon commute to be over 30 degrees warmer, so you have to be able to change your gear. I also cut my rides to under 90 minutes because the real pain only kicks in for me after an hour and a half.

Good luck, I'm always surprised how much fun a ride can be in the 30s, (I rarely feel that way once it hits the 20s, but still am glad to get some work in).

R3awak3n
11-04-2018, 09:43 AM
It gets cold but not THAT cold here in the city. Temps drop a few degrees when you get away from the heat island effect of the city but still it rarely gets so bad you need anything more than good gloves, hat, shoe covers, and jacket. You can even get away with a simple windproof jacket if you layer well. Windproof bibs really help too. But warm baselayer, thermal layer, windproof layer takes care of me for all but the very worst days.

Googles and balaclava are silly. A thin thermal cap that covers your ears well along with a neck gaiter/buff that you can pull over your ears on really cold days is enough.

On average, the daily highs are above freezing here even in January. Your biggest enemy is really the slush and wet. Waterproof shoes/covers/socks/fenders really help. I know you're coming from Socal but you'll be fine.
Dont listen to this guy, he is Canadian. We rode together one day and he was wearing shorts and long sleeve jersey, I had tights, base layer, jersey, jacket, hat and gloves and was still a little cold :help:

jensenn
11-04-2018, 09:46 AM
moving away from gear a bit.

the good thing about winter riding in the NYC is that you can always pop into a store to warm up if needed. I follow about 2-3 routes out of the city which allows me to pass along public restrooms that have hand dryers which gives me the options on slushy/wet days to dry pieces of clothing off. also if you're riding under freezing temps, add a bit of whiskey in your water bottles to prevent them from turning into ice.

zzy
11-04-2018, 10:34 AM
Dont listen to this guy, he is Canadian. We rode together one day and he was wearing shorts and long sleeve jersey, I had tights, base layer, jersey, jacket, hat and gloves and was still a little cold :help:

Just because THIS is how I was born (https://streamable.com/hocwv) doesn't mean I'm immune to the cold or something.

AngryScientist
11-04-2018, 10:40 AM
to me, you just pick your battles in this area.

if you're on a serious training plan you're better off indoors and pick the nicer, warmer days that come along to ride outside. otherwise i spend most of my winters on the trainer or in the gym cross training and take advantage of when nice days come along.

i ride to enjoy myself, and under 32 degrees, i simply am not enjoying myself on a bike.

Bob Ross
11-04-2018, 12:12 PM
The key for me is using layers and having multiple options to dress for the occasion. ...[snip]... a single solution to cold doesn't work for me...I need to be able to dial it in for 5 degree changes.

^^^This

...and so, rather than recommend specific brands or items for OP, I will simply suggest that this first winter in NYC you should document weather conditions and what you wore on each ride. Note what worked and what didn't. Eventually you'll develop your personal preferences such that you'll have a system: peruse tomorrow's forecast and know exactly how to dress for it.

[fwiw I don't necessarily think about dialing it in for 5 degree changes per se; but I know what sort of items I'll need for 20s, or 30s, or 40s, or 50s etc. and then how to further refine those go-to items based on whether it's high or low 20s/30/40s/50s]

R3awak3n
11-04-2018, 12:46 PM
to me, you just pick your battles in this area.

if you're on a serious training plan you're better off indoors and pick the nicer, warmer days that come along to ride outside. otherwise i spend most of my winters on the trainer or in the gym cross training and take advantage of when nice days come along.

i ride to enjoy myself, and under 32 degrees, i simply am not enjoying myself on a bike.

Same here. I certainly have been out in the teens but to me, was not fun. Under 30, I will probably just do the trainer.

cribbit
11-04-2018, 03:25 PM
Same here. I certainly have been out in the teens but to me, was not fun. Under 30, I will probably just do the trainer.

Sadly commuting gives me little choice :(

But at least I'm not a cager!

R3awak3n
11-04-2018, 04:17 PM
Sadly commuting gives me little choice :(

But at least I'm not a cager!

Oh, I will commute in whatever unless snow is crazy. That said I have a 20 minute commute, but even in 0 degree, beats the subway

Gummee
11-04-2018, 04:24 PM
^^^This

...and so, rather than recommend specific brands or items for OP, I will simply suggest that this first winter in NYC you should document weather conditions and what you wore on each ride. Note what worked and what didn't. Eventually you'll develop your personal preferences such that you'll have a system: peruse tomorrow's forecast and know exactly how to dress for it.

[fwiw I don't necessarily think about dialing it in for 5 degree changes per se; but I know what sort of items I'll need for 20s, or 30s, or 40s, or 50s etc. and then how to further refine those go-to items based on whether it's high or low 20s/30/40s/50s]
Funny enough, once it gets below 40, the top doesn't really change much: Castelli seamless sleeveless, a 150wt Smartwool layer, Alpha Jersey are on the top till it gets *really * cold, then I'll break out some softshell jackets

The lowers are slightly different: I've got several weights of bib tights w/o chamois so I can wear one of several weights of bib knickers under them. Why bib knickers? Extra layer over the knee. When it gets really cold, I have some windproof front tights. Forget what brand 'cause I haven't seen em since last winter.

HTH

M

peanutgallery
11-04-2018, 06:13 PM
No matter what the activity, if you're going to do it => it's worth the money for proper gear. I'm not talking Ebay or Amazon either. Go somewhere that has what you need and buy the right stuff. Buy it modern and new

The real stuff is always well made and lasts quite some time, plus you only use it for a few months as winter in NYC is only like 90 days. It'll last years

Personally, I don't ride much during winter...but I will ski the better part of 70 days a year. Having the right gear is the difference between misery and a good outing. Point of reference, I dropped some money to take the family to VT last winter. While standing at the top of Magic Mountain at around 9am on the first day, I realized it was much colder than my mother in law's libido. It occurred to me that I was little too reliant on shells and layering for the current temp. I skied down, thawed out in the bar and went out and bought a $400+ insulated/waterproof jacket...from a brand I did not sell at the time. And I paid retail, even though I had what I needed back at the shop on the rack that I could have scored for cost. Had a great time. It was worth every penny, even though that particular jacket may only get used 3 days a year. It was a missing piece in the quiver. For the record, picked up the line for this season

Assuming that because the OP lives in Manhattan, resources are not an issue. Go to a local place that has knowledge and get what you need. Additionally, QBP has terrible pricing on outdoor clothing of quality. Stick to their bike stuff

weisan
11-04-2018, 06:17 PM
Point of reference, I dropped some money to take the family to VT last winter. While standing at the top of Magic Mountain at around 9am on the first day, I realized it was much colder than my mother in law's libido. It occurred to me that I was little too reliant on shells and layering for the current temp. I skied down, thawed out in the bar and went out and bought a $400+ insulated/waterproof jacket...from a brand I did not sell at the time. And I paid retail, even though I had what I needed back at the shop on the rack that I could have scored for cost. Had a great time. It was worth every penny, even though that particular jacket may only get used 3 days a year. It was a missing piece in the quiver.

Do everything that Peanut pal said ...but anticipate ahead and do it when there's a sale goin' or during the off season.

OtayBW
11-04-2018, 07:11 PM
Maybe I missed it (above), but invest in some good quality (Merino or similar) wicking base layer to pull the moisture away from you while you're protecting everthing else on the surface. Essential....

Bob Ross
11-05-2018, 05:30 AM
i spend most of my winters on the trainer ...[snip]...i ride to enjoy myself, and under 32 degrees, i simply am not enjoying myself on a bike.
Under 30, I will probably just do the trainer.

Bordering on Thread Drift: I'm just the opposite, although I too ride to enjoy myself ...which is why I don't even own a trainer*. Any day outdoors on a bike is more enjoyable to me than sitting on a bike indoors. I don't ride a bike for exercise; that's just gravy. So I'll ride in the 20s or teens or (on extremely rare occasions) the single digits if it means I get to spend some time cycling, even if it's just around the neighborhood. And if the weather's genuinely too crappy to ride outdoors, that's the universe telling me not to throw my leg over a bike that day.

of course, for that reason I probably own way too much winter cycling kit! I probably have close to a dozen different base layers, each optimal for slightly different weather conditions. Which admittedly is crazy, since 90% of the time I just reach for the Ibex Woolies 150 long-sleeve merino base layer.

[*Full disclosure: My wife owns a trainer, so if I really wanted to exercise indoors i suppose I could...]

R3awak3n
11-05-2018, 05:37 AM
Bordering on Thread Drift: I'm just the opposite, although I too ride to enjoy myself ...which is why I don't even own a trainer*. Any day outdoors on a bike is more enjoyable to me than sitting on a bike indoors. I don't ride a bike for exercise; that's just gravy. So I'll ride in the 20s or teens or (on extremely rare occasions) the single digits if it means I get to spend some time cycling, even if it's just around the neighborhood. And if the weather's genuinely too crappy to ride outdoors, that's the universe telling me not to throw my leg over a bike that day.

of course, for that reason I probably own way too much winter cycling kit! I probably have close to a dozen different base layers, each optimal for slightly different weather conditions. Which admittedly is crazy, since 90% of the time I just reach for the Ibex Woolies 150 long-sleeve merino base layer.

[*Full disclosure: My wife owns a trainer, so if I really wanted to exercise indoors i suppose I could...]

Hey, I am with you on, ridding on a trainner is not fun but man, I have Mediterranean blood, I trully hate the winter and he cold. Yesterday was 50 and I was cursing ahha

Gummee
11-05-2018, 12:47 PM

I have a pair of rollers and a wind trainer. Managed to not ride either last winter. As long as it wasn't icy, I was outside.

I actually gave away 3 trainers a few years ago. Cateye Psychostimulator* among them. Got the Cateye for free, so passed it on for free.

M

*aka Cyclosimulator