PDA

View Full Version : It's an ebay miracle!

MrCannonCam
11-02-2018, 07:33 AM
I've seen a few threads harping ebay the past few months, figured I'd share a small 'win'. Maybe not a miracle but the most help ebay customer service has been for me in quite some time.

Sold a cycling jacket the 28th of Sept. that arrived the 3rd of October to the "seller"...almost a month later negative feedback is left that the item arrived very late and there were "serious delays" in arrival. No concerns brought up by the buyer or a case or anything up until the point so I reach out and the reply from them was completely non-understandable English. Did some digging on where it was sent and it went to a supposed package distribution center in NJ (did some more research and a few of my packages that went to Miami went to similar places that forward packages internationally). Guy winds up being in China and blames me for the delay of his middle man shipping company.

Have had some frustrating dealings with unruly negative feedback dealings over the years and expected no help at all from ebay on this front....explained my situation and they were super helpful and removed the negative feedback in the most painless dealing I've had on the phone with them. A win on the seller front as ebay has leaned more and more in favor of the buyers the past few years.

On a side note I'm not sure some people (like my troubled buyer) have caught onto the Ebay Global Shipping program, where you send your items to the ebay distribution center in KY and they do the rest as far as sending the packages out internationally. I do not know how it works on the recipients end out of the US as I am not international but it seems like a pretty painless process especially over dealing with a middle man shipping operation in a foreign country...

chiasticon
11-02-2018, 07:45 AM
I tried to sell some wheels last year on eBay. sold for way more than I anticipated (and hundreds more than I had them listed for here). address was a courier in CA, buyer was in Vietnam. reviews for the courier indicate many people have used them as a middle-man to get goods using stolen credit cards. I didn't wanna mess with that, at all. called eBay and they said "cancel the order, re-list it, we'll refund you." so I did. buyer was a different person, but again in Vietnam, doing the exact same thing :rolleyes:

maybe I should allow the option of using eBay's distribution center next time, I don't know... hopefully I don't have to worry about it as selling on eBay sucks in general.

whateveronfire
11-02-2018, 08:15 AM
I sold my Peg to a buyer that seemed to be in the PNW but was actually in Singapore. He immediately contacted me and said I needed to be sure to pack it for overseas shipping.

I responded that I was packing it carefully, but I was only indemnifying it to Seattle.

No feedback one way or another and no communication after that. I hope he's happy, but I would have preferred the peg to leave my life with less ambiguity.

Tony T
11-02-2018, 08:54 AM
I tried to sell some wheels last year on eBay. sold for way more than I anticipated (and hundreds more than I had them listed for here). address was a courier in CA, buyer was in Vietnam. reviews for the courier indicate many people have used them as a middle-man to get goods using stolen credit cards. I didn't wanna mess with that, at all. called eBay and they said "cancel the order, re-list it, we'll refund you." so I did. buyer was a different person, but again in Vietnam, doing the exact same thing :rolleyes:

maybe I should allow the option of using eBay's distribution center next time, I don't know... hopefully I don't have to worry about it as selling on eBay sucks in general.

FWIW, I list as only selling to buyers in the US (excl Alaska and Hawii).
Does this mean that the buyer can still be outside the US even with that restriction?

tuscanyswe
11-02-2018, 09:03 AM
Does this mean that the buyer can still be outside the US even with that restriction?

Yes. Its only related to shipping address.

Pegoready
11-02-2018, 09:07 AM
On a side note I'm not sure some people (like my troubled buyer) have caught onto the Ebay Global Shipping program, where you send your items to the ebay distribution center in KY and they do the rest as far as sending the packages out internationally. I do not know how it works on the recipients end out of the US as I am not international but it seems like a pretty painless process especially over dealing with a middle man shipping operation in a foreign country...

The Global Shipping Program works very well, and I open all my listings to it, but I think the end cost from eBay to the buyer is pretty high. That is why a lot of people skirt this and go to 3rd party forwarders. Plus, the GSP doesn't work with big items like frames and wheels.

From time to time, I will sell to someone who wants me to ship to a freight forwarder and I am VERY careful about this as they can be scam central. I make sure the buyer has a lot of legit feedback buying cycling gear (and gives good feedback to sellers) and might even send them a mssg to make sure they are legit. The good ones explain themselves quickly.

chiasticon
11-02-2018, 10:23 AM
Does this mean that the buyer can still be outside the US even with that restriction?as stated above, they can get around this by having their shipping address (the courier middle man) be within the US. in the story I described, I did exactly what you just said: limited it to US buyers only. didn't matter.

sfo1
11-02-2018, 10:28 AM
Can you elect to NOT ship to buyers using eBay global shipping program?

as stated above, they can get around this by having their shipping address (the courier middle man) be within the US. in the story I described, I did exactly what you just said: limited it to US buyers only. didn't matter.

livingminimal
11-02-2018, 10:30 AM
Im a huge fan of the GSP. I just sold a few hundred VHS tapes on ebay and the GSP is amazing. It's all on the buyer to decide if they want to bid on something using the GSP.

bikeridah
11-02-2018, 10:32 AM
Can you elect to NOT ship to buyers using eBay global shipping program?

Yes, it's an option when you list the item in the Shipping section. Pretty sure you have to opt-in to use the GSP.

jt2gt
11-02-2018, 10:34 AM
Can someone explain how to use the Global shipping program...does the international buyer have to engage it? Thanks, JT

The Global Shipping Program works very well, and I open all my listings to it, but I think the end cost from eBay to the buyer is pretty high. That is why a lot of people skirt this and go to 3rd party forwarders. Plus, the GSP doesn't work with big items like frames and wheels.

From time to time, I will sell to someone who wants me to ship to a freight forwarder and I am VERY careful about this as they can be scam central. I make sure the buyer has a lot of legit feedback buying cycling gear (and gives good feedback to sellers) and might even send them a mssg to make sure they are legit. The good ones explain themselves quickly.

livingminimal
11-02-2018, 10:37 AM
It's a sellers tool. You can utilize it as a seller.

The buyer doesnt have a choice once it's set, except to not bid on the item when it's utilizing GSP.

MrCannonCam
11-02-2018, 10:48 AM
Can someone explain how to use the Global shipping program...does the international buyer have to engage it? Thanks, JT

As stated in the comment below yours they do not. It's an option within shipping area in creating a listing now (Ship Globally?). From what I understand ebay quotes the overseas buyer the actual shipping/customs costs. Had someone from Spain interested in an item but was complaining about the shipping and customs costs which I have nothing to do with, it's ebay whom have those fees calculated and deal with in it's entirety. I just ship the item to their facility in KY and they take care of the rest. I think it's a win win as a seller, less annoyance with international buyers asking if you ship to x country, more customers with the potential to buy, and ebay takes care of the shipping out of the country. The only thing you are liable on the shipping front with is getting it to their facility and when it arrives they scan it and you get a notification that it arrives. They also notify you when it is in transit within the country your buyer is in.

I've only enabled the GSP for smaller items. No bikes, frames, wheels, etc... not sure I want to risk it on larger items

tuscanyswe
11-02-2018, 11:31 AM
The big reason very few buyers from the western part of the non us world will buy your stuff with the global shipping program is that the Customs fee will be calculated on the actual value of the goods every time no exception.

Lets say i buy a frame for 1000$, i know ebay will charge me the appropriate customs fee for delevering to sweden which is approx item+ship * 1.27 (25%vat + a couple of percentages depending on what kind of item is shipped). + a handling fee of around 12 usd.

While i buy the same frame from someone who will mark the box at a low value of say 100$ instead after asking politely (most are okay with this as it gives them more business and i imagine think 25%+ on a used frame is ridiculous anyways). Then i would only pay 27$ vs 270$ in fees when collecting my item and sometimes it wont even be any custom fees at all as customs are sometimes lazy or on lunch while ebay makes sure they claim the cash for every transaction.

Now on small goods like say a headset spacer for 10$ the swedish customs via ebay charge me 2.7$ (27ish %) + the handling fee of 100 Sek. So it ends up costing me around 25 usd for this item instead of 10 which is pretty silly. (well this example was without shipping costs but you get the idea..

Hence im not a big fan of buying through the global shipping program..

ScottW
11-02-2018, 11:39 AM
I just sold a few hundred VHS tapes on ebay and the GSP is amazing. It's all on the buyer to decide if they want to bid on something using the GSP.
Hmmm... I have a few Disney classics on VHS that nobody in the US seems to want anymore.

Back a few years ago when I was more active selling stuff, I never used the GSP because it was so expensive for the buyer that I figured nobody would use it, but maybe I should reconsider.

livingminimal
11-02-2018, 11:45 AM
Hmmm... I have a few Disney classics on VHS that nobody in the US seems to want anymore.

Back a few years ago when I was more active selling stuff, I never used the GSP because it was so expensive for the buyer that I figured nobody would use it, but maybe I should reconsider.

Ahh mine was selling a skateboard video collection. Pretty collectible.

echappist
11-02-2018, 11:47 AM
The big reason very few buyers from the western part of the non us world will buy your stuff with the global shipping program is that the Customs fee will be calculated on the actual value of the goods every time no exception.

Lets say i buy a frame for 1000$, i know ebay will charge me the appropriate customs fee for delevering to sweden which is approx item+ship * 1.27 (25%vat + a couple of percentages depending on what kind of item is shipped). + a handling fee of around 12 usd.

While i buy the same frame from someone who will mark the box at a low value of say 100$ instead after asking politely (most are okay with this as it gives them more business and i imagine think 25%+ on a used frame is ridiculous anyways). Then i would only pay 27$ vs 270$ in fees when collecting my item and sometimes it wont even be any custom fees at all as customs are sometimes lazy or on lunch while ebay makes sure they claim the cash for every transaction.

Now on small goods like say a headset spacer for 10$ the swedish customs via ebay charge me 2.7$ (27ish %) + the handling fee of 100 Sek. So it ends up costing me around 25 usd for this item instead of 10 which is pretty silly. (well this example was without shipping costs but you get the idea..

Hence im not a big fan of buying through the global shipping program..

so if said frame is damaged and/or broken and you need to file claims, does the shipper get to "make things whole" by offering a maximum of $100?

chiasticon
11-02-2018, 11:58 AM
While i buy the same frame from someone who will mark the box at a low value of say 100$ instead after asking politely (most are okay with this as it gives them more business and i imagine think 25%+ on a used frame is ridiculous anyways). Then i would only pay 27$ vs 270$ in fees when collecting my item and sometimes it wont even be any custom fees at all as customs are sometimes lazy or on lunch while ebay makes sure they claim the cash for every transaction. yeah, because that's... you know... the law. what you're describing doing is actually a federal felony. if you and the seller want to take that risk on, that's your decision. can't fault eBay for not want to take part though.

so if said frame is damaged and/or broken and you need to file claims, does the shipper get to "make things whole" by offering a maximum of $100?unless all the sudden they want to dish out $900 just to keep being nice to you, then yes.

josephr
11-02-2018, 12:07 PM
To the OP: Congrats...truly a win!

I limit my eBay listings as 'ship to continental US address only" as one time I'd listed my item with 'free shipping' and a dude from Puerto Rico bought it...to ship the item there would've cost me another $40+ over my anticipated shipping cost. Lesson learned. As far as shipping to a 3rd party re-shipper, I don't really care---I'm done once it hits that address though.

MrCannonCam
11-02-2018, 12:20 PM
To the OP: Congrats...truly a win!

I limit my eBay listings as 'ship to continental US address only" as one time I'd listed my item with 'free shipping' and a dude from Puerto Rico bought it...to ship the item there would've cost me another $40+ over my anticipated shipping cost. Lesson learned. As far as shipping to a 3rd party re-shipper, I don't really care---I'm done once it hits that address though.

I have a very long disclaimer on my listings at this point. Most items that are not GSP it says "Lower 48 Shipping only". I don't mind shipping to a 3rd party shipper either as long as situations like I had do not arise more...

unterhausen
11-02-2018, 12:21 PM
I have seen ebay auctions that said they would cancel any winning bids to a freight forwarder. I suppose getting around the global shipping program is fairly easy, but should require the buyer to have a U.S. address.

I have had good success with the GSP. I feel bad about it costing so much, but I know someone who ended up paying more in shipping and customs on an ebay auction than they sold the item for, to the tune of $400. UPS does this all the time, and ebay is unapologetic. Charge a buyer what ebay calculates, get the money, ship the item, a month later get a charge from UPS.

ScottW
11-02-2018, 04:14 PM
I have a very long disclaimer on my listings at this point. Most items that are not GSP it says "Lower 48 Shipping only".
Maybe it's because I haven't sold many large and/or heavy items and I use USPS almost exclusively, but I don't understand sellers not wanting to ship to AK or HI. I've shipped stuff Priority Mail to AK and it gets there in 2 days just like anywhere in the lower 48. Just don't offer free shipping unless it's a First Class package (<13 oz.) or you're willing to absorb the cost of a flat rate Priority box. For anything with postage determined by weight & distance, I use the ebay shipping calculator and it eliminates any surprise hits to my margins from buyers in the more expensive delivery zones.

I don't mind shipping to a 3rd party shipper either as long as situations like I had do not arise more...
AFAIK ebay has traditionally been on sellers' side regarding the freight forwarders. As long as tracking shows you shipped it on time and it eventually (transit time is not your fault) was delivered to the first US-based address, you're in the clear and they will remove any inappropriate negative feedback. Small PITA dealing with it, but the ebay reps are accommodating over the phone (especially for 20-year users with 100% positive feedback) and you've still got your money.

If shipping directly to buyer's address overseas, ebay will usually take your side in lost package claims as long as tracking shows the package made it to the outbound facility on the US side. For many countries with slower and/or less reliable postal systems and no tracking that's the last evidence you will have of its existence, no way to know if it gets safely delivered or stolen/lost.

smontanaro
11-03-2018, 05:26 AM

I have a set of brake calipers moving (ever-so-slowly) through the system. They sold so someone near Vancouver, BC on Oct 18 and I shipped them priority mail the next day to Kentucky (an address eBay provided). Strangely enough, it took four days to be accepted at my local PO, then another three days to make it to KY. From there, another four days to make it to ON and clear customs. It now sits with Canada Post who warns, "Delivery may be delayed due to labour disruption." It still needs to make it to the Vancouver area. I feel bad for the buyer. I hope he wasn't in a hurry. I could have shipped it to my cousin north of Seattle and the buyer could have driven across the border to pick it up.

tuscanyswe
11-03-2018, 05:46 AM
yeah, because that's... you know... the law. what you're describing doing is actually a federal felony. if you and the seller want to take that risk on, that's your decision. can't fault eBay for not want to take part though.

unless all the sudden they want to dish out $900 just to keep being nice to you, then yes.

Im not faulting ebay. Im not familiar with federal law and im not saying anything about right or wrong. Im offering an explaining to why perhaps not all buyers would think global shipping program is the best option to use and may cause them to look elsewhere for their purchases. If its not cheaper than local it may not be worth it.. So even for sellers it may not be the best way to sell their goods, perhaps. Esp if one does want to sell outside of USA since using the GSP but not to asia south america etc.

tuscanyswe
11-03-2018, 05:49 AM
so if said frame is damaged and/or broken and you need to file claims, does the shipper get to "make things whole" by offering a maximum of $100?

Insurance value and custom value is not the same here. What one claim the package is worth on the custom form has no bearing for the insurance, if i want to collect insurance from a damaged package i have to prove the value of the actual goods inside the package. The number i put on the custom form has nothing to do with value of insurance amount here in sweden but im sure that varies depending on your shipper / country / destination etc.

bitt3n
11-03-2018, 06:08 AM
Insurance value and custom value is not the same here. What one claim the package is worth on the custom form has no bearing for the insurance, if i want to collect insurance from a damaged package i have to prove the value of the actual goods inside the package. The number i put on the custom form has nothing to do with value of insurance amount here in sweden but im sure that varies depending on your shipper / country / destination etc.

when I was shipping stuff out of US, I could only insure the package for the total amount on the customs form, which obviously can cause problems if one were to list a low value for customs. I believe I shipped via USPS

tuscanyswe
11-03-2018, 06:20 AM
when I was shipping stuff out of US, I could only insure the package for the total amount on the customs form, which obviously can cause problems if one were to list a low value for customs. I believe I shipped via USPS

Hmm I dont think that is the case usually but even if it was i as a buyer would be fine with taking that chance. Id still get out a head even if every 5th package was lost and there was no insurance at all at the silly 30% fees for importing a used bicycles frame or whatever.

Usa for instance is a lot different you have something like 700$+ limit before you even get to pay import taxes fees etc. And even when you do the brokerage % fees are much smaller.

I realize that ppl will see very differently on topics like this. Some ppl think its okay to try a grape in the store to see if its good before purchasing them, some dont.. Im not saying either is right or shameful just saying thats what the world looks like..

Personally i dont test food in stores but i dont like to pay 30% on imported used bicycles frames. Not only for the money but the principle of it. New goods are different, i dont mind paying vat and fees for these as it seems reasonable and creates a level playing field for all businesses. Its a very different situation than buying a semi-friends used bike stuff and giving money to the goverment for it. Well for me it is anyways. Maybe not for *you*

spinarelli
11-03-2018, 02:13 PM
20 years an ebay customer and the Global Shipping Program stopped me from shopping on ebay.

Being in Canada it made buying bike parts not worth it. If I really want something I will pick it up across the border but I pretty much gave up on ebay once GSP came around. Shipping costs more then doubled and the handling fee Pitney Bowes takes makes the total cost way more then retail.

I should actually thank Ebay and GSP for saving me thousands of dollars and freeing up all that time I used to spend scrolling through the ebay bike section.