PDA

View Full Version : Compass tires: from skeptic to believer

Dougb
11-01-2018, 10:13 PM
Apologies if you saw this post on I-Bob too.

Over the last year I’ve read all the rave reviews on Compass tires, sometimes seeming to be an almost cultish devotion. During that time I’ve ridden Pasela Panaracers, Rivendells, Schwalbe and Gran Bois tires of all sizes from 700x25 to 650bx42 and 26”. So I have limited experience to compare them to.

I was about to take advantage of a sale on some Vittoria Corsa G+ tires when a pair of basically new Compass Chinook Pass 28c tires with extralight casing popped up on Craigslist for $80. So I jumped on them.

I found them extremely easy to mount with levers. I pumped them up and was off.

With four rides in now of varying lengths on all sorts of pavement I can confirm what I knew within one minute on these tires: they are the most plush and comfortable tires I’ve ever been on. The effect was more profound than any saddle or cockpit change I’ve ever made and revolutioned a bike I already love to ride. I felt dialed in.

Amazingly, they have as much comfort and shock absorption as my old 650bx42 Gran Bois Hetres. I am averaging 2mph faster than I was on the same routes with the same cadences using 700x28 Pasela Protites.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Vittorias from many people I trust who said Compass tires really excel when you get to the larger sizes. But I sure am glad I jumped on this deal. Here are a few pics of the Wabi Special they now adorn.

Doug Bloch
Alameda CA USA

https://12237664974819460210.googlegroups.com/attach/839ad32d657e1/IMG_2463.jpg?part=0.1&view=1&view=1&vt=ANaJVrG3Hu6dpt_KXNqqjrnbqaybaVQ3PAS9M6H4YMzWwVh oBmrD2UqqjmfX-ocs_M8muYd_5dh5Yg781uj5UoRQo5eN6uOLFosdg3UEVvSgg7c 5_Tr_fCc

https://12237664974819460210.googlegroups.com/attach/839ad32d657e1/IMG_2472.jpg?part=0.5&view=1&view=1&vt=ANaJVrEEwvXimvAYyfsr8xPyDbLcvJqcGpaLAtaUZMWp6Qz O7ZkVgk_JlLFkvHZH4BafuuzmNFoiuMi8mbIkgcKokfq9rfbhc ESOA-7OuJvXZIv6aVBxHbc

rain dogs
11-02-2018, 02:56 AM
Thanks for posting your feedback. Would love to hear a follow up response after some longer term use.

What do you feel is responsible for the 2mph increase in speed? I don't know what the base speed was, but assuming it was in the neighborhood of 16mph .... up to 18mph, that's approximately the difference between 120W and 161W all things equal.

El Chaba
11-02-2018, 05:44 AM
Aren't the Compass tires the same as Grand Bois?

R3awak3n
11-02-2018, 05:48 AM
Thanks for posting your feedback. Would love to hear a follow up response after some longer term use.

What do you feel is responsible for the 2mph increase in speed? I don't know what the base speed was, but assuming it was in the neighborhood of 16mph .... up to 18mph, that's approximately the difference between 120W and 161W all things equal.

hehe, yeah, there is no way any tire is going to increase your speed by 2mph. That said compass tires are excellent.

Also no, GB and compass are not the same tires.

Mark McM
11-02-2018, 09:36 AM
hehe, yeah, there is no way any tire is going to increase your speed by 2mph. That said compass tires are excellent.

If you actually looked into it, you'd find that's not true at all - going from a heavy, deep treaded tire to lightweight thin treaded tire can result in speed difference of greater than 2 mph (all else being equal). But of course, nobody expects that a fat, knobby MTB tire will roll as well as a high pressure time trial road tire. So what kind of speed differences can you expect between more similar tires?

To get an idea, you can do a quick comparison with publicly available data. The Bicycle Rolling Resistance web site (https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/) publishes rolling resistance test values for a variety of tires. In the list of road bike tires, the 700x25c tire with the lowest measured rolling resistance is the Continental Grand Prix TT (Crr = 0.00354 @80psi), and the 700x25c with the highest measured rolling resistance is the Schwalbe Lugano (Crr = 0.00731 @80psi). The Analytic Cycling web site has a calculator to find Speed given Power (https://analyticcycling.com/ForcesSpeed_Page.html). Using the sample rider values, and substituting in different tire rolling resistances, the expected speed values can be calculated. Using a slope gradient of 0%, and power values of 100 W and 150 W, plus the Crrs of the two different tires, I found these speeds:

Schwalbe Lugano: 7.34 m/s (16.4 mph) @ 100 W, 8.76 m/s (19.6 mph) @150 W

Continental Grand Prix TT: 8.02 m/2 (17.9 mph) @ 100 W, 9.36 m/s (20.9 mph) @ 150 W

So, switching between these two tires could give a 1.3 - 1.5 mph speed difference.

This shows the speed differences possible by switching tires can actually be much larger than between switching wheels (at these speeds & powers, the speed gains by switching from "traditional" wheels to the very best aero wheels will be less than 0.5 mph).

Anecdotally, when I switch between two bikes, one with Continental GP2000s tires and the other with Continetal GP 4 Season tires, I find a difference in average riding speed of close to 1 mph. While there are more differences between the bikes than just the tires, when I looked at the rolling resistance differences between the tires I found that the tires could easily explain the majority of the speed differences I experienced.

R3awak3n
11-02-2018, 10:06 AM
If you actually looked into it, you'd find that's not true at all - going from a heavy, deep treaded tire to lightweight thin treaded tire can result in speed difference of greater than 2 mph (all else being equal). But of course, nobody expects that a fat, knobby MTB tire will roll as well as a high pressure time trial road tire. So what kind of speed differences can you expect between more similar tires?

To get an idea, you can do a quick comparison with publicly available data. The Bicycle Rolling Resistance web site (https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/) publishes rolling resistance test values for a variety of tires. In the list of road bike tires, the 700x25c tire with the lowest measured rolling resistance is the Continental Grand Prix TT (Crr = 0.00354 @80psi), and the 700x25c with the highest measured rolling resistance is the Schwalbe Lugano (Crr = 0.00731 @80psi). The Analytic Cycling web site has a calculator to find Speed given Power (https://analyticcycling.com/ForcesSpeed_Page.html). Using the sample rider values, and substituting in different tire rolling resistances, the expected speed values can be calculated. Using a slope gradient of 0%, and power values of 100 W and 150 W, plus the Crrs of the two different tires, I found these speeds:

Continental Grand Prix TT: 8.02 m/2 (17.9 mph) @ 100 W, 9.36 m/s (20.9 mph) @ 150 W

So, switching between these two tires could give a 1.3 - 1.5 mph speed difference.

This shows the speed differences possible by switching tires can actually be much larger than between switching wheels (at these speeds & powers, the speed gains by switching from "traditional" wheels to the very best aero wheels will be less than 0.5 mph).

Anecdotally, when I switch between two bikes, one with Continental GP2000s tires and the other with Continetal GP 4 Season tires, I find a difference in average riding speed of close to 1 mph. While there are more differences between the bikes than just the tires, when I looked at the rolling resistance differences between the tires I found that the tires could easily explain the majority of the speed differences I experienced.

fair point, I should have said compared to another road tire. That said, you are right, I jumped to quick to a conclusion living in my world of only nice tires and I do feel a difference from tire to tire but it is not a lot...

jtakeda
11-02-2018, 10:23 AM

Also no, GB and compass are not the same tires.

^^yup. From my understanding Grand Bois kind of piggy backed compass to the point where people were starting to think they were the same company and when compass started offering different tires/components they stopped distributing GB in order to differentiate themselves.

I converted from skeptic to believer after riding the Compass Barlows.

My question is compass chinook (700x28) vs Vittoria Cora’s G+. Any opinions on this? I wanted to squeeze some 28-30s on the road bike and am waiting until my veloflex wear out to make the choice.

R3awak3n
11-02-2018, 10:26 AM

^^yup. From my understanding Grand Bois kind of piggy backed compass to the point where people were starting to think they were the same company and when compass started offering different tires/components they stopped distributing GB in order to differentiate themselves.

My question is compass chinook (700x28) vs Vittoria Cora’s G+. Any opinions on this? I wanted to squeeze some 28-30s on the road bike and am waiting until my veloflex wear out to make the choice.

I love the corsas but have not been on chinook, I do prefer the vittorias to whatever GBs 28mm version is but not the same tire so not a fair comparison

ptourkin
11-02-2018, 11:27 AM

They are both made by Panaracer in the same facility, just to different specs.

HTupolev
11-02-2018, 11:52 AM
Pasela Protites.
That might be a part of it. I haven't personally used any tires with Panaracer's protection layers, but they don't seem to do half measures. Most manufacturers have varying degrees of protection layers, with the ones in their fast racing tires being basically decorative. But Panaracer seems to either do nothing, or do a beefy layer that has a tangible impact on performance.

In one particularly startling example, last summer I went on a gravel ride, along with someone who I regularly ride road with. I was on my gravel bike with Rat Trap Pass ELs, and he'd equipped his cyclocross bike with 35mm Panaracer T-Servs. This guy was normally about my equal on the road, but that day, he couldn't even keep up in my draft when I was cruising along paved portions. Although, the rolling resistance may have been exacerbated by the high tire drop that he was running to keep the tires squishy enough for the gravel; obviously my 53s did not need to be as underinflated.

The early Panaracer-made Rivendell tires that used large amounts of protection layers also seemed to perform very poorly in coast-down tests...

I have used Paselas, but only the non-PT variant. I've got an old road bike with 27" wheels, and they're some of the best tires still available in that size. They ride reasonably given their price, and are nowhere near 2mph slower than my good racing tires.

No. Compass used to sell Grand Bois tires, and both are manufactured by Panaracer, but they're not the same designs.

R3awak3n
11-02-2018, 11:53 AM
They are both made by Panaracer in the same facility, just to different specs.

same with gravel king... the compass are much more supple than the GKs for example, complete different rides. Both good but compass is better.

HTupolev
11-02-2018, 12:14 PM
same with gravel king...
GravelKings are Panaracer-branded, so it hardly needs to be mentioned that they're made by Panaracer. :)

Panaracer actually makes tires for loads of small brands. In addition to Grand Bois and Compass, there's Soma, Simworks, Rivendell, Fairweather, and SwiftTire. And I've probably missed others.
I'd guess that Panaracer doesn't charge as much as the other manufacturers to set up production of a new tire design, which would make them more attractive for people selling in low volumes. In some cases it's fairly obvious where they're ameliorating the cost: some Panaracer-made tires under small brands have used Panaracer's existing "Pasela" tread molds, such as the Fairweather tires or the early Compass 26ers (like the still-available McClure Pass).

MikeD
11-02-2018, 01:46 PM
I've got the Snowqualmie Pass standard tires and run them tubeless. The sidewalls leak like crazy and I can see the Orange Seal bleeding through them on the tan sidewalls. Next time I think I'll buy the Gravelkings. No bleed through on them on my son's bike. Trying to save weight by thinning out the tire liner isn't good, in my book.

cachagua
11-02-2018, 06:15 PM
The sidewalls leak like crazy and I can see the Orange Seal bleeding through them...

Something is very wrong here. Sealant is supposed to be able to-- no, it's FOR THE PURPOSE of sealing small leaks. If you run over something and make a small leak, or if the tire manufacturer puts a million small leaks in the sidewall, a small leak is a small leak. If a tubeless "system" is working, this should categorically never happen.

Stories like that make me wanna ride tubes.

However I'll pile on with everyone else and tell my Compass story: I put extra-light Bon Jons on my gravel-cross-thing when I first built it up, and MAN what a bike! Tight and fast, flickable but totally steady, in every way a great-handling bike. Grinned like a fool every time I got on it. Then last month, anticipating winter conditions, I switched to a very similar tire, same size, even comes from the same factory -- you could almost call it an econo-Jon. After a few rides I was like "What happened to my bike?" It wallows like a small motorboat, it's vague in turns and hunts when going straight, bumps just feel like mush. The ride is so pedestrian that if I'd put these tires on for the first build, I might very well not have kept the bike.

I'm not new to this, I've seen the difference tires can make... but this surprised me. I'm ordering another two or three Bon Jons. Call me a believer.

doomridesout
11-02-2018, 10:31 PM
I've been riding a set of tubed Stampede Passes on my rando bike and I have to say they ride really really well.

slup
11-03-2018, 12:24 AM

I have both. Grand Bois cypres and Compass Stampede Pass. They are exactly the same.

El Chaba
11-03-2018, 04:05 AM
I have both. Grand Bois cypres and Compass Stampede Pass. They are exactly the same.

That was my impression as well....

marciero
11-03-2018, 05:54 AM

The tread is reportedly thinner on the edges of compass tires, same thickness in the center so should wear the same

Clancy
11-03-2018, 07:18 AM
I regularly head out on the bike set- up with Compass tires to only stop at the end of the driveway to check air pressure thinking it’s low, but each time it’s the plushness of the tires.

The bike I have them on is my heaviest bike, a steel bike with a steel fork. My other two bike are Ti with carbon forks. My best times are on my steel bike. I attribute that to the Compass tires. Seat of the pants comparison.

I don’t know why Jan doesn’t get more credit for the impact he’s had on the industry. Maybe because he’s always seemed to be on the fringe of cycling. But I would argue that he’s had significant influence on an entire industry, caused a major re-thinking in terms of tire composition and size. We’re all now running 25-28c tires at much lower pressures largely due to his influence. It could also be argued that he pioneered the “All Road” bike.

Compass tires are legit. I was also a skeptic but I’m a believer now, took a while. I just received a set that I’m mounting on my gravel bike. Expensive as hell, can’t believe I pay almost as much for two bicycle tires as I would for two car tires, but certainly worth it.

spoonrobot
11-03-2018, 01:13 PM

For the same nominal size Compass tires are narrower and shorter.

Clean39T
11-03-2018, 01:29 PM
There's an interview on the Path Less Pedaled podcast with Jan - it's worth a listen - explains how a lot of this got started...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

cachagua
11-03-2018, 03:04 PM
I'm a believer, but these things really do cost a lot. Just naively going to the Compass site, it'd cost me $90 each for three Bon Jon ELs.

Are there ever discounts or sales or any way to get a price break?

R3awak3n
11-03-2018, 03:20 PM
I'm a believer, but these things really do cost a lot. Just naively going to the Compass site, it'd cost me $90 each for three Bon Jon ELs.

Are there ever discounts or sales or any way to get a price break?

never seen it from compass direct. I think there has been some resellers that have sold them at a small discount.

m_sasso
11-03-2018, 03:40 PM
We’re all now running 25-28c tires at much lower pressures largely due to his influence.

Dissenting voice here, I don't ride 25-28's, they won't even fit on a large portion of my road bikes. And I am not convinced 25-28's would make me any faster on the wheels I use and the bikes and roads I ride.

Clancy
11-03-2018, 05:23 PM
Dissenting voice here, I don't ride 25-28's, they won't even fit on a large portion of my road bikes. And I am not convinced 25-28's would make me any faster on the wheels I use and the bikes and roads I ride.

Yea, if they don’t fit then they’d probably would slow you down.

jasperp
03-04-2019, 07:52 AM
Hi all,
A question as I'm trying to decide on compass Chinooks - regular of extralight?
Is it worth the added 20 EUR per tire?
I ride in Belgium - roads generally suck.
Anyone compared the two types?
Thanks!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn XT1635-02 met Tapatalk

fmradio516
03-04-2019, 06:10 PM
Hi all,
A question as I'm trying to decide on compass Chinooks - regular of extralight?
Is it worth the added 20 EUR per tire?
I ride in Belgium - roads generally suck.
Anyone compared the two types?
Thanks!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn XT1635-02 met Tapatalk

I dont have experience with either but id go with the regulars because of road conditions.

ColnagoC59
03-04-2019, 06:22 PM
have compass on my firefly but i'm about to switch to panaracer's. the compass tires are supple but i think that comes at the expense of puncture resistance and i'd like to do some more gravel riding this spring. the added protection and the cheaper price point of the panaracer's has me wanting to try them. most of you know this already , but i just recently learned both are made by the same company. i might be over-simplifying but is compass charging a higher price for a lower quality panaracer? are they the same tire minus some sidewall protection?

XXtwindad
03-04-2019, 06:44 PM

The above question. Just put my deposit down on my last rim brake bike ever. I want to run 28s. One issue: the Chinook isn't tubeless compatible. Not sure about the G+. Anyone with direct experience with both?

muz
03-04-2019, 07:02 PM
have compass on my firefly but i'm about to switch to panaracer's. the compass tires are supple but i think that comes at the expense of puncture resistance and i'd like to do some more gravel riding this spring. the added protection and the cheaper price point of the panaracer's has me wanting to try them. most of you know this already , but i just recently learned both are made by the same company. i might be over-simplifying but is compass charging a higher price for a lower quality panaracer? are they the same tire minus some sidewall protection?

This is like saying Chevy Cruze and Corvette are made by the same company, so the rides must be similar :banana:

cmg
03-04-2019, 07:06 PM
What is the weight difference between the Chinook and the gbs you wanted to purchase? Is it the rotating weight difference that got your 2 mph increase?

djm
03-05-2019, 10:38 AM
i might be over-simplifying but is compass charging a higher price for a lower quality panaracer? are they the same tire minus some sidewall protection?
No. Compass (now Rene Herse) tires are manufactured by Panaracer to RH specifications:
For the Compass Extralight models, Panaracer uses a casing usually reserved for their top-end racing tubulars. Panaracer doesn’t use this casing on their own clinchers.

Kirk007
03-05-2019, 11:14 AM
The above question. Just put my deposit down on my last rim brake bike ever. I want to run 28s. One issue: the Chinook isn't tubeless compatible. Not sure about the G+. Anyone with direct experience with both?

I think I am probably in the minority as most everyone else seems to love them but I bought some G+ when they first came out. I now only use them on the indoor trainer. I really have zero love for them having had the rear wheel repeatedly slip out and slide on wet concrete in turns. And I don't think the ride is anything special. If you want tubeless compatible I'd look at the IRC formula tires - lovely tire. I like Compass alot but haven't tried anything smaller than a 32 from them - yet.

XXtwindad
03-05-2019, 11:49 AM
I think I am probably in the minority as most everyone else seems to love them but I bought some G+ when they first came out. I now only use them on the indoor trainer. I really have zero love for them having had the rear wheel repeatedly slip out and slide on wet concrete in turns. And I don't think the ride is anything special. If you want tubeless compatible I'd look at the IRC formula tires - lovely tire. I like Compass alot but haven't tried anything smaller than a 32 from them - yet.

Hey Greg -

Thanks for the excellent feedback. Both the G+ and the Compass aren't tubeless compatible, (best I can tell) so that rules them out for me. I was thinking of going the Schwalbe Pro One route, but it looks like the reviews for the IRC are pretty sterling. I'll give those a spin instead...

John H.
03-05-2019, 12:04 PM
Pro One tubeless in 700x28mm is the best all-around tubeless road tire I have ever used.
S-Works is also good but not as durable.

Hey Greg -

Thanks for the excellent feedback. Both the G+ and the Compass aren't tubeless compatible, (best I can tell) so that rules them out for me. I was thinking of going the Schwalbe Pro One route, but it looks like the reviews for the IRC are pretty sterling. I'll give those a spin instead...

spinarelli
03-19-2019, 10:49 PM
John, does the pro one fit true to size? I’m thinking of ordering some to try tubeless on a Hed Belgium+ rim but I’m worried about chainstay clearance. The vittoria Corsa G+ 28mm are more like 30mm at 50 psi. I wonder if the pro one would get wider too. Thanks!

Pro One tubeless in 700x28mm is the best all-around tubeless road tire I have ever used.
S-Works is also good but not as durable.

jgarrett
03-21-2019, 10:32 PM
John, does the pro one fit true to size? I’m thinking of ordering some to try tubeless on a Hed Belgium+ rim but I’m worried about chainstay clearance. The vittoria Corsa G+ 28mm are more like 30mm at 50 psi. I wonder if the pro one would get wider too. Thanks!

No. I ran 25mm pro one tubeless on a belgium plus rim and they measured almost 29mm. But they were great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spinarelli
03-23-2019, 10:05 AM
thanks for the feedback. ill get some 25s... I wonder how big the 28s would be on the same rim

No. I ran 25mm pro one tubeless on a belgium plus rim and they measured almost 29mm. But they were great!

MikeD
03-24-2019, 09:44 AM
Update on my Snoqualmie Pass tires: a bubble is forming in the tread of one tire. I removed the tires and the beads stretched so I had a hard time getting them to snap back out to the rim, even with a compressor. I found a high flow air duster in my tools that finally worked. I wrote Rene Herse about replacing the bubbled tire under warranty almost a week ago and haven't heard back. Leakage of sealant through the sidewalls continues (using Orange Seal Endurance). In summary, tubeless performance of these tires is lacking.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190324/280e4e66b8b41a880d2d6a29fdf735c3.jpg

phoenix
03-24-2019, 10:06 AM
I just got a set of the Snoqualmies as well. I need to build up wheels this week for them, but hoping for the best with these. The reviews kind of seem to be all over the place. Fingers crossed.

jgarrett
03-24-2019, 10:09 AM
Update on my Snoqualmie Pass tires: a bubble is forming in the tread of one tire. I removed the tires and the beads stretched so I had a hard time getting them to snap back out to the rim, even with a compressor. I found a high flow air duster in my tools that finally worked. I wrote Rene Herse about replacing the bubbled tire under warranty almost a week ago and haven't heard back. Leakage of sealant through the sidewalls continues (using Orange Seal Endurance). In summary, tubeless performance of these tires is lacking.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190324/280e4e66b8b41a880d2d6a29fdf735c3.jpg

I had the same issue with the same model last year. Sounds like a bad batch of tires. Contact compass and send that photo...they sent me a replacement no questions asked. The sidewall weeping problem seems to be fixed with their more recent batches as well.

jgarrett
03-24-2019, 10:18 AM
Don’t write off compass due to one bad experience. If you contact them, they will take care of you. I’m guessing there is a very small margin of error in manufacturing tires of this caliber, so there are bound to be a few duds. My current snoqualmies have about 3k on them and have been ridden in countless gravel events that have tested their durability and my confidence in them...I am never short of amazed at what they can handle. And, I’m 240 lbs [emoji108]

phoenix
03-29-2019, 11:11 AM
Anybody have a recommendation? I got the Snoqualmies all mounted up onto Belgium Plus hoops. They mounted up beautifully with no compressor needed. They started inflating right away so that was awesome!

My concern is that I never heard the tubless “snap snap” through the inflation process. The molding line is very even and visible along the tire/rim, but i’m hesitant to ride them since I never heard the snap. I brought them up to max recommended pressure of 70 psi as well. I worked with them with no sealant, sealant as well as a little warm soapy water.

I do have an email out to Rene Herse, but thought I would check with the hive in the meantime. Thanks!

djm
03-31-2019, 02:38 PM
My concern is that I never heard the tubless “snap snap” through the inflation process. The molding line is very even and visible along the tire/rim, but i’m hesitant to ride them since I never heard the snap. I brought them up to max recommended pressure of 70 psi as well. I worked with them with no sealant, sealant as well as a little warm soapy water.
If the molding line is even and correctly located, I think youre good. Lubricating the rim with soapy water may have precluded the audible "snap" of the bead seating.

phoenix
03-31-2019, 04:39 PM
If the molding line is even and correctly located, I think youre good. Lubricating the rim with soapy water may have precluded the audible "snap" of the bead seating.

Correct. Like I mentioned, I did reach out to Rene Herse and they pretty much said the same thing. As long as the molded line is even and visible around both tires I'm good. That was kind of what I figured, but figured I would inquire anyway. I've gotten about 50 miles on them thus far. They are a sublime ride and we'll worth the money in my opinion. They are currently measuring just a hair under 44mm on a Belgium Plus wheel. There is no weeping of the sidewalls (I did get the extralight in black) and they are holding pressure really well.

R3awak3n
03-31-2019, 04:44 PM
I did not get any sidewall weeping on my new juniper ridge and was pretty happy with it. They went it TL pretty easily and have kept air overnight. Someone mentioned that the new iteration of compass/RH have improved on tubeless and I believe it/am glad it happened.

Clean39T
04-04-2019, 08:34 PM
I got my first flat in many months and probably a thousand or more miles today. It was also my first ride on Compass 32c EL tires. Coincidence? Maybe. It was quite a pointy shard of glass...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

dogrange
04-04-2019, 09:17 PM
I haven’t read this thread, but for clinchers I don’t k ow why anyone would ride anything other than Compass extra lights. I guess if you ride extensively on super sharp flint, maybe then go for a Schwalbe mtn bike tire or something, but outside that they are the best and last a long time.

cardcatalog
04-04-2019, 10:42 PM
Regarding compass tubeless setup, anyone had some mounted for a while and can say how they have fared? Has mounting them changed over time at all? I remember reading some about potential bead stretching over time. I don’t mean to spread rumors; I’m just scared of them blowing off unexpectedly. I ride schwalbe g-ones tubeless and they’re lovely, as are wtb horizons.

And to be clear: I’m a compass fan too. Really impressed with longevity given their thinness. I have a pair of (tubed!) stampede pass non-EL with at least 3000 miles on them. I got to around the same mileage on a pair of rat trap pass non-ELs as well, and those survived a good number of rocky gravel roads and a whole lot of commuting under a tubby rider often carrying a decent amount. And I have a pair of Barlow pass ELs I ride a lot in the summer. They’re just great too.

cardcatalog
04-04-2019, 10:49 PM
Also on the note of compass and flats: now that I have decent miles on three pairs of compasses, it seems like I get around one flat per tire per 500 miles or so. That’s not exact, and my sample size of six tires isn’t large, but it’s about what I’ve seen. My rear rat trap pass non-el died with a tear in the tread, not unlike the bubble photo referenced earlier... except again it had ~3000 miles on it. So it lived a full life, and I thanked it for its comfort and zippiness. It’ll live on as a donor for tire boots.

brownhound
04-05-2019, 08:37 AM
I quickly went from believer to skeptic when I blew out a sidewall on a Chinook Pass UL clincher after less than 1000 miles of commuting (and likely less than 500 miles). The other was starting to wear as well. And I don't under-inflate.

They felt great! But I switched back to Donnelly/Clement USH and will try GravelKings next.

rst72
04-05-2019, 09:32 AM
Regarding compass tubeless setup, anyone had some mounted for a while and can say how they have fared? Has mounting them changed over time at all? I remember reading some about potential bead stretching over time. I don’t mean to spread rumors; I’m just scared of them blowing off unexpectedly. I ride schwalbe g-ones tubeless and they’re lovely, as are wtb horizons.

I wonder if the bead stretching stories were based on their non-tubeless tires mounted as tubeless. Anyhow, I've been riding on Barlow Pass TC (tubeless compatible) for 6-8 months (can't remember exactly) and have had zero problems. Mostly pavement, but occasionally on some chunky gravel and they have been great. Love them.

benb
04-05-2019, 10:17 AM
When did they rebrand to "Rene Herse Cycles"? That sounds like an interesting story.

My experience matches what some others have said, tires can easily be 2mph in speed differential. They are a huge factor especially if you're changing size of tire dramatically.

What's up with an "UL" tire for commuting, I wouldn't expect that to be a recommended use?

cardcatalog
04-05-2019, 11:10 AM
I wonder if the bead stretching stories were based on their non-tubeless tires mounted as tubeless. Anyhow, I've been riding on Barlow Pass TC (tubeless compatible) for 6-8 months (can't remember exactly) and have had zero problems. Mostly pavement, but occasionally on some chunky gravel and they have been great. Love them.

That’s a good theory.

Anyway, great to hear the Barlow tc has been great. That’s a more-recent convert to tubeless compatibility for them, so your experience says the bead is better.

brewsmith
04-05-2019, 02:20 PM
When did they rebrand to "Rene Herse Cycles"? That sounds like an interesting story.

I was just wondering the exact same thing when I visited their site today....

Surprised this was not noted elsewhere, or maybe I just missed it?

HTupolev
04-05-2019, 02:26 PM
I was just wondering the exact same thing when I visited their site today....

Surprised this was not noted elsewhere, or maybe I just missed it?
They announced it late last year (https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/12/10/compass-becomes-rene-herse-cycles/).

Andy sti
04-05-2019, 03:01 PM
Also on the note of compass and flats: now that I have decent miles on three pairs of compasses, it seems like I get around one flat per tire per 500 miles or so. That’s not exact, and my sample size of six tires isn’t large, but it’s about what I’ve seen.

That would be 2 flats every 2-3 weeks. No way would I tolerate that. If that is on a wheelset that rarely gets used then maybe but otherwise.

cardcatalog
04-05-2019, 03:06 PM
That would be 2 flats every 2-3 weeks. No way would I tolerate that. If that is on a wheelset that rarely gets used then maybe but otherwise.

I wish I rode that much!

Duende
04-21-2019, 03:06 PM
Ummm... maybe the ultralights just aren’t for me. Ride great, but perhaps not the wisest choice for the trails I do. This happened on tarmac though... AFTER, my gravel ride. Bon Jon pass 35mm

Dsteiker
04-24-2019, 12:17 PM
Any experience with the Cayuse Pass tire? For use as a 100% road tire

rpm
04-24-2019, 04:30 PM

I'm interested in these, too. And nobody has mentioned Michelins. I liked Pro4's, but how about the new Power tires?

John Price
04-25-2019, 02:14 PM
Have any of you tried both casing options for the Compass/Rene Herse tires? I'm looking at the Stampede Pass tires. I'll be doing both gravel and pavement on them and trying to decide which option to go with.

Will I miss out on the excellent qualities of these tires if I go standard casing? Will I be flat prone on gravel with the EL casing?

Currently riding Challenge Strada Biancas - they work pretty (other than initial mounting which is a bear) but curious to try the RH tires after hearing how nice they are.

jtbadge
04-25-2019, 02:17 PM

I'd also be interested in hearing some experience with the Chinook Pass. My 28c Corsa G+ are getting worn out and will probably need replacement this summer.

one60
04-25-2019, 02:29 PM
I have been using the Panaracer EVO3 Race A as a winter training tire with great success. The grip is more inspiring than the Schwalbe ONE tubeless I run on my fairweather bikes.

I have also purchased a pair to the EVO3 Race L tires. Same compound, so same amazing grip but the carcass has more flex and is lighter as it uses a different material for flat protection. Both models in 28c measure under 30mm on an 18mm internal width rim.

The rolling resistance may be higher but these ride great and cornering is absolutely amazing. Soon there will be a EVO4 version in tubed and tubeless. Currently the clincher models are $30 each from the usual sources.

ravdg316
04-25-2019, 03:08 PM
I'd also be interested in hearing some experience with the Chinook Pass. My 28c Corsa G+ are getting worn out and will probably need replacement this summer.

They’re the Best tires in the Compass lineup that I’ve used (28c, 32c, and 38). If veloflex corsas weren’t 1/3 the price the chinooks would be my go to. They last longer than Veloflex as well.

Dsteiker
04-25-2019, 03:54 PM
Good to hear, what casing have you used? How big did they mount on your rims?

Thanks!

ravdg316
04-25-2019, 04:34 PM
Good to hear, what casing have you used? How big did they mount on your rims?

Thanks!

In case you were asking me, I used the Chinook Pass extralites. Not sure how big they mounted but they fit in my Moots RSL with no issues, so I would guess 28-29c given that the Moots at the time was rated to 27c.

donevwil
04-25-2019, 05:03 PM
I put Chinook Pass standards on my wife's Kirk, she loves them as much as the Grand Bois Cerf 28s on her Hampsten. She's the type of person who only mentions equipment when something's wrong, so a positive about tires is huge.

Upon initial installation on HED rims they were 26mm tall x 28mm wide if I remember correctly. I assume they've since grown a bit as all Compass tires do, but they do still clear the ENVE 2.0 on her Hampsten with a bit of room to spare.

The Grand Bois Cerf 28s are a little cheaper for what appears to be the same basic tire if that appeals to anyone. No EL casing option though.

BikeNY
04-26-2019, 07:57 AM
Have any of you tried both casing options for the Compass/Rene Herse tires? I'm looking at the Stampede Pass tires. I'll be doing both gravel and pavement on them and trying to decide which option to go with.

Will I miss out on the excellent qualities of these tires if I go standard casing? Will I be flat prone on gravel with the EL casing?

Currently riding Challenge Strada Biancas - they work pretty (other than initial mounting which is a bear) but curious to try the RH tires after hearing how nice they are.

I think it comes down to how rough you are on your tires in general. If you get flats on a regular basis, stick with the normal casing. If flats are a rare thing for you, go for the extralights. That's of course assuming you are currently riding pretty normal tires, not some super armored commuting tanks.

HTupolev
04-26-2019, 11:21 AM
I think it comes down to how rough you are on your tires in general. If you get flats on a regular basis, stick with the normal casing. If flats are a rare thing for you, go for the extralights.
If the flats in question are punctures through the tread, I don't think it'll make a difference either way. The tread is the same on standards and extralights, the only difference is the casing fabric. The standard casing fabric is a bit thicker than the extralight casing, but it's still just a thin polyester fabric, and unlikely to accomplish much against a stabby thing that's already made it through the tread.

If the issue is sidewall abrasion or sidewall permeability, I could see it helping.

John Price
04-26-2019, 11:33 AM
Thanks Gents.

I think I'll give the ELs a try. I don't usually get sidewall cuts and the biggest issue with flats around here are goat heads.

weaponsgrade
04-26-2019, 12:11 PM
I picked up a pair of 700x38 Barlow Passes ELs. I think this will be the most I've ever spent on tires as in the past I've always managed to find nice tires on sale somewhere when I needed them. I've got high hopes for these suckers. They definitely feel very light and supple when handling. No rides yet, but they mounted fairly easily and straight onto a Grail rim. I measured them at 39mm.

Duende
04-26-2019, 12:53 PM
I picked up a pair of 700x38 Barlow Passes ELs. I think this will be the most I've ever spent on tires as in the past I've always managed to find nice tires on sale somewhere when I needed them. I've got high hopes for these suckers. They definitely feel very light and supple when handling. No rides yet, but they mounted fairly easily and straight onto a Grail rim. I measured them at 39mm.

You running tubeless or tubed?

NoMoreParagon
04-26-2019, 05:33 PM
-1 for me.
I found their quality control really terrible. I owned about half dozen pair.
One (standard casing) had bumps on the carcass. The other one has sealant leacking from sidewall.

Having said that their customer service is amazing. They were v accommodating and helpful.

But their extralite compound is really delicate. Calling that tire a gravel tire its a big statement. I had soooo many side cut flats with the 35 and 38mm extralite i lost count...

Panaracer gravelking have a casing which is exactly in between the stand and extralite, are lighter, cost 50% and are much more durable...

NoMoreParagon
04-26-2019, 05:36 PM

Stampede Pass are undersized. Even with wide rims I doubt u will reach the stated 32mm.

If you do gravel I wouldn't buy the extralite. Sidewall cuts are going to happen. I was nervous when riding on gravel cause of side cuts..happened a lot of times...

weaponsgrade
04-26-2019, 08:57 PM
You running tubeless or tubed?

I’m planning on tubeless. I was missing the valves though so I just threw in some tubes for now so I could at least see how they setup. I wouldn’t consider the dirt I’m planning to ride with them to be particularly rocky. I also mtn bike and think I’m ok with picking lines. But yeah, I definitely went back and forth between these and others that had better durability reviews.

Duende
04-27-2019, 03:46 AM
I’m planning on tubeless. I was missing the valves though so I just threw in some tubes for now so I could at least see how they setup. I wouldn’t consider the dirt I’m planning to ride with them to be particularly rocky. I also mtn bike and think I’m ok with picking lines. But yeah, I definitely went back and forth between these and others that had better durability reviews.

You be fine then. I only got myself in trouble with a ripped sidewalk on my EL’s when I pushed it a bit carelessly on the gravel. They were fine for many many gravel rides prior. You’ll be stoked!