PDA

View Full Version : DT 240s hub service

CNY rider
11-12-2006, 07:10 PM
So I'm making my winter to do list, and I think I probably have to include my wheels on the list for maintenance.
I've got 2 sets of wheels built on DT 240s hubs. One set a little over a year old, one just about a year. The hubs have no play and roll smoothly. I'd like to keep it that way.
I don't have a LBS option so I am a self taught mechanic. Hubs and wheels are the final frontier for me. I don't mind buying the tools, because it's the only way this stuff is going to get done. I understand (or at least I think I do) that I need the roughly $120 DT Swiss tool kit to work on the hubs. I also see a smaller maintenance kit listed on DT's website. It appears to have small spare parts in it for maintenance operations. Will that be all the parts I need? Will the appropriate instructions be enough to do the job or are there special tricks I need to know? If this is really difficult I may need to ship them to someone.
Thanks!

ergott
11-12-2006, 09:22 PM
So I'm making my winter to do list, and I think I probably have to include my wheels on the list for maintenance.
I've got 2 sets of wheels built on DT 240s hubs. One set a little over a year old, one just about a year. The hubs have no play and roll smoothly. I'd like to keep it that way.
I don't have a LBS option so I am a self taught mechanic. Hubs and wheels are the final frontier for me. I don't mind buying the tools, because it's the only way this stuff is going to get done. I understand (or at least I think I do) that I need the roughly $120 DT Swiss tool kit to work on the hubs. I also see a smaller maintenance kit listed on DT's website. It appears to have small spare parts in it for maintenance operations. Will that be all the parts I need? Will the appropriate instructions be enough to do the job or are there special tricks I need to know? If this is really difficult I may need to ship them to someone.
Thanks!

The pdf file they have online is very detailed. I use that for reference.
http://www.dtswiss.com/data/files/MAN_EN_41201162428.pdf

Kane
11-13-2006, 01:35 AM
Don't waste your time on the bearings and throw a little Phil Woods oil on the drive gear and your done. Unless the bearings are corrupted why bother with them. The idea is to leave them alone until they need to be replaced. Keep your chain and drive chain cleaned and replace it before it gets anywhere close to over stretched. Good tires are imperative. Replace your brake and gear cables every year. If you really feel the need to go crazy on maintenance, replace your brake blocks.

In the old days, it made sense to overhaul bearings, but that was than and this is now.

I was looking at a Ron Cooper frame today and I asked about some DT240 hubs, because I was thinking about low maintenance.
Cheers,

Kane