PDA

View Full Version : ot warning for phone/text scams

parris
11-01-2018, 06:17 PM
I want to pass along a reminder about these scams. I've worked the front desk at my dept for a little over a year and in that time I've seen a number of people that have been victims of various scams.

The "typical" victim is older, trusting, and generally not tech savy. Many of these people don't realize that they've been zapped until it's way too late and they more often than not get taken for several thousand dollars.

I was reminded of this again today when an older lady came in asking about a series of texts she was getting on her phone. The POS on the other end had all the hallmarks of a scammer. Poor wording, real appearing account information, etc. The lady was smart enough to come in before sending the scammer the "processing fee" of $750.00 in order to claim her $40,000.00 prize. She also didn't give the scammer her ssn or bank info. She DID send the scammer her address and a PHOTO of her drivers license.

We took a report and had her head over to her bank as well as get into contact with the credit reporting agencies.

If anyone has older family and friends that may not be up on some of the crap these bottom feeders use please try to educate them so they at least have their eyes open and don't fall for it.

Cicli
11-01-2018, 06:21 PM
Scumbags

ultraman6970
11-01-2018, 08:09 PM
A couple of years ago I sent this to the guy just to F with him... never heard of him again... Even told him my last name was mulder.

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/7900000/Mulders-Badge-ID-the-x-files-7943725-385-207.jpg