PDA

View Full Version : Fall/Winter Gear for SF/Marin Riding?

scoobydrew
10-31-2018, 11:36 PM
My current arm and knee warmers are wearing out so I'm looking into getting some new gear for when the weather finally gets cooler. I typically ride in San Francisco, Marin Headlands, or further into Marin County for reference, usually during mid-mornings/early afternoons.

Based on some reading and personal experience, the best idea seems to be dressing in layers, which means some combination of:
- Base layer
- Short sleeve jersey (mid-heavy weight?)
- Vest
- Arm warners
- Standard bib-shorts
- Knee or leg warmers
- Neck-gaitor (as needed)

I've also been looking into long-sleeve jerseys and knickers, but fear that it's less flexible in terms of shedding layers when needed, especially with all the climbs and as it warms up throughout the day.

Does anyone else familiar with this area (or even the Bay Area for that matter) have any opinions on the layering method vs. longer clothing? I know everyone's different, but it would be interesting to hear what others think.

Duende
11-01-2018, 12:45 AM
My set-up is similar to yours although I do use a rain jacket and long sleeve jersey.

I rely heavily on arm and leg warmers. Thinking about getting a winter set of bibs and a good vest. Hard to find stuff in my size though.

joosttx
11-01-2018, 01:11 AM
I would not fear long sleeves or jackets. You will need them. In the winter I practically only wear long sleeve jersey riding in Marin.

Base layer
- Short sleeve jersey (mid-heavy weight?):
- Vest: Q365, assos
- Arm warners: rapha merino wool
- Standard bib-shorts: q365 wolf
- Knee or leg warmers: q365 knee, q365 termica tights
- Neck-gaitor (as needed): rapha merino wool

Q365 gloves medium weight

Hat: assos winter hat

long sleve: rapha, assos I am really liking assos, Q365 hybrid Q

Jacket: rapha lightweight wind, PAS normal, Q365 R, Gore shake dry

Socks:Q265 winter

FlashUNC
11-01-2018, 08:34 AM
It's rare for me to pull arm warmers off in the East Bay during the fall/winter so long sleeve is fine. The Rapha Pro Team is a pretty excellent jersey. I've also been using the ChptIII Rocka with arm warmers, and that's a pretty awesome combination.

I prefer thermal bibs with leg warmers over knickers, and Q36.5 makes a less bulky leg warmer ideal for the job. And their vest is the best bit of kit around.

I'll also go with a lighter shoe cover like an oversock over a winter sock if it's getting particularly nippy.

muz
11-01-2018, 10:07 AM
I rely on a wool jersey, usually short sleeve, with a wool base layer on cooler days. I can then add arm and knee warmers and a vest as needed. I don't use a jacket unless the forecast calls for sustained cold rain.

There can be really big temperature swings on a typical day, and wool seems to manage it well even when wet. A few weeks ago it was 33F in Olema, still only 36F in Marshall, but it got up to high 80's later in the day.

eddief
11-01-2018, 10:16 AM
but have moved back to light to medium poly in both long and short sleeve. even though poly stinks fast(er) i do think it sheds moisture better than wool in the long run. a bit bulky under a normal jersey but REI has good thin poly tshirts that work well.

Also, PI Pro Toe covers:

https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/Shop/Ride/Road/Unisex/Essentials/Covers/P.R.O._Thermal_Toe_Cover/p/14381301

And Craft light weight windstopper skull cap. Comfy, breathes, little flaps when you need them, windstopper on the front:

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/craft-active-extreme-20-windstopper-hat?v=bk00002&adl=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwyOreBRAYEiwAR2mSkgTI8tYNrqwMY81aBmlJ 1S7Il8ApwxRNHjJOemYeuoURH8gV0PRR6RoCx1YQAvD_BwE