PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Chain Question

Jeff N.
10-31-2018, 08:43 AM
Has anyone ever had any problem connecting a Campy chain by simply partially pushing out a pin, connecting the chain, then pushing back in and peening that same pin?

bambam
10-31-2018, 08:53 AM
I have only broke 2 chains in my life.
The same campy 10 speed by pushing out and in pins. Used a connex or sram quick link and problem was solved. no issues since.

BamBam

Dave
10-31-2018, 09:20 AM
The is no way to properly peen the end of a pin on a modern flush-pin chain. My chain tool has a stack of small rings of metal that get sheared off the pins, then they are pushed out. Once a pin is pushed out, that end will have little or no resistance to being pushed out again.

Use a quick link.

Jeff N.
10-31-2018, 09:36 AM
The is no way to properly peen the end of a pin on a modern flush-pin chain. My chain tool has a stack of small rings of metal that get sheared off the pins, then they are pushed out. Once a pin is pushed out, that end will have little or no resistance to being pushed out again.

Use a quick link.OK. Thanks.

oldpotatoe
10-31-2018, 09:38 AM
Has anyone ever had any problem connecting a Campy chain by simply partially pushing out a pin, connecting the chain, then pushing back in and peening that same pin?

Bad idea as that pin isn't hardened and 'mushroomed' like the supplied pin plus the plate is deformed when the pin is pushed in and then out, then in..broken chain there a real poosibility..Quicklink is best idea.

bjf
10-31-2018, 10:05 AM
Bad idea as that pin isn't hardened and 'mushroomed' like the supplied pin plus the plate is deformed when the pin is pushed in and then out, then in..broken chain there a real poosibility..Quicklink is best idea.

Just to be clear, an 11s SRAM Powerlink will work with an 11s Campy chain?

oldpotatoe
10-31-2018, 10:08 AM

Never actually done that and I can hear the chain crying from here(->>:)) but 11s chains are almost identical in dimension so I don't see why 11s quick links aren't cross compatible. I prefer KMC, IRD or Wipperman myself.

sokyroadie
10-31-2018, 10:14 AM

I have that combo on a couple of bikes and no issues.

Jeff N.
10-31-2018, 10:24 AM
Is there anything available yet that'll work with Campy 12 speed chains, I wonder?

oldpotatoe
10-31-2018, 10:35 AM
Is there anything available yet that'll work with Campy 12 speed chains, I wonder?

When 10s first came out..Campag chains were that AWFUL Permalink gizmo and made noise almost 100% of the time. So we started using sram gold 9s links on Campag 10s chains w/o issue. A 10s link 'works' on an 11s chain also. I'm guessing that a 11s link would work with a 12s chain altho 'stuff' is really close together..may have some noise at best and some skipping at worse.

A little googleishious..KMC makes a 12s chain and sram makes a 12s link altho I don't know if sram 12s chain is same dimension as Campags.

ultraman6970
10-31-2018, 10:41 AM
Ive put 10 missing link in a 11 chain when i did not have one and works fine, but the drive train will get noisy.

kramnnim
10-31-2018, 10:45 AM

Have ridden many thousands of miles with SRAM link and Campy chain (11sp)

10sp link made a click every time around.

cgolvin
10-31-2018, 01:23 PM
Apologies for the tangent…

A recent poster said 11 speed Campy chains work well on a Campy 10 speed group. Just looking for verification and any first hand experience with that setup. (Thinking of picking up a couple of Potenza 11 speed chains from Ribble…surprised that they are lighter than Chorus 11 speed chains).

Joxster
10-31-2018, 03:27 PM

Speaking with the owner of KMC, they claim that the new 12 spd KMC aren't officially tested on Campag 12 and the customer would 'have' to try the KMC chain and see how it performed ;) ;) ;)

parallelfish
10-31-2018, 05:34 PM
A little googleishious..KMC makes a 12s chain and sram makes a 12s link altho I don't know if sram 12s chain is same dimension as Campags.

I have been looking at 12 speed links as well. What I have been able the gleen on widths:

Campy: 5.15 mm
Sram: 5.25 mm
KMC: 5.2 mm

Ronsonic
10-31-2018, 09:14 PM

I haven't tried that with a Campagnolo chain because years ago I did it with a Shimano chain and it cost me a derailleur.

Unless you've got some NOS 40 year old chain this is a recipe for failure.

oldpotatoe
11-01-2018, 07:13 AM
I have been looking at 12 speed links as well. What I have been able the gleen on widths:

Campy: 5.15 mm
Sram: 5.25 mm
KMC: 5.2 mm

I'd try the KMC one, not the sram one, cuz, ya know....:)

Jeff N.
11-01-2018, 04:21 PM
FOR THE RECORD (or, Super Record-12, I should say): YBN Chains that're designed specifically for 12-speed drive trains work perfectly with the new Campy Super Record 12 speed. Put it on and did a quick 15 miles. Shifts perfectly, quiet, no issues whatsoever....so far, anyway.

gfk_velo
11-07-2018, 07:44 PM
FOR THE RECORD (or, Super Record-12, I should say): YBN Chains that're designed specifically for 12-speed drive trains work perfectly with the new Campy Super Record 12 speed. Put it on and did a quick 15 miles. Shifts perfectly, quiet, no issues whatsoever....so far, anyway.

You have just voided the warranty on your entire drive-train though ...

Jeff N.
11-07-2018, 08:13 PM
You have just voided the warranty on your entire drive-train though ...Not really concerned about "warranty". I've since switched back to a Campy chain...it was an experiment more than anything.

R3awak3n
11-07-2018, 08:33 PM
You have just voided the warranty on your entire drive-train though ...

Serious question, how would campy ever know he did not use a campy chain?

Jeff N.
11-07-2018, 09:35 PM
Serious question, how would campy ever know he did not use a campy chain?Exactly. Plus, try getting a hold of Campy...for anything. I called them on a few occasions (Carlsbad, CA) and they wouldn't even pick up the phone. Warranty issues? Forget it.

oldpotatoe
11-08-2018, 07:22 AM
Exactly. Plus, try getting a hold of Campy...for anything. I called them on a few occasions (Carlsbad, CA) and they wouldn't even pick up the phone. Warranty issues? Forget it.

I call all the time and have NO problem getting thru to Jerry Ott..figure out their opening hours(and yes, ala Italiano, they close for lunch) and call..I have never had an instance where they 'wouldn't even pick up the phone'..

Otherwise

ott@campagnolona.com
large@campagnolona.com

oldpotatoe
11-08-2018, 07:25 AM
Serious question, how would campy ever know he did not use a campy chain?

They wouldn't..I get their 'official' policy and I DO recommend you use a Campag chain with a Campag system, it IS the best solution(not the cheapest but the best)..SR 12s chain About the same $ as a DA/XTR 11s chain, BTW. (no, not saying you should use a 11s chain with Campag 12s)..:eek:

Jeff N.
11-08-2018, 07:54 AM
I call all the time and have NO problem getting thru to Jerry Ott..figure out their opening hours(and yes, ala Italiano, they close for lunch) and call..I have never had an instance where they 'wouldn't even pick up the phone'..

Otherwise

ott@campagnolona.com
large@campagnolona.com
Really? Maybe they were closed when I called, I dunno. They're up in Carlsbad, close by. I called several times months back to ask about a hub rebuild. No pick-up so I gave up. I'll try again if needed. Thanks!

oldpotatoe
11-08-2018, 08:00 AM
Really? Maybe they were closed when I called, I dunno. They're up in Carlsbad, close by. I called several times months back to ask about a hub rebuild. No pick-up so I gave up. I'll try again. Thanks!

Everytime I have called, like right at 3:31 my time(MTN), they are closed(4:30 their time)..DOH!! But I have always gotten their voicemail message..

BTW-iff ya got a ? about Campag I'll certainly give it a try.
cp51errc@gmail.com or PM here.

no, ya can't call me..:)

Jeff N.
11-08-2018, 08:07 AM
Everytime I have called, like right at 3:31 my time(MTN), they are closed(4:30 their time)..DOH!! But I have always gotten their voicemail message..

BTW-iff ya got a ? about Campag I'll certainly give it a try.
cp51errc@gmail.com or PM here.

no, ya can't call me..:)I wanted to send in a silver Campy Record hub for a rebuild. I have since sold that hub/wheelset to a guy so no longer an issue. But thanks! -Jeff PS: Somebody told me they were going through changes, re: No. American sales or something. You hear anything?

oldpotatoe
11-08-2018, 08:15 AM
I wanted to send in a silver Campy Record hub for a rebuild. I have since sold that hub/wheelset to a guy so no longer an issue. But thanks! -Jeff PS: Somebody told me they were going through changes, re: No. American sales or something. You hear anything?

Campagnolo NA does not sell to the public. They do have warranty/parts for bike shops/ProShops but they are primarily a office/marketing center/tech info center. Not a reseller/parts source.