PDA

View Full Version : Campy H-11 Cassette

sfscott
10-30-2018, 04:49 PM
Saw a great price on a 11-32 (which is fine) and it is a lot cheaper than any of the record/SR prices I have seen.

Is there a difference between the H-11 and a "regular" cassette for use with EPS?

Are these being blown out in anticipation of a H-12 offering?

Joxster
10-31-2018, 03:08 AM
You can't use an 11 on EPS (i'm sure others will argue you can, but that's the party line)

You can also run a Shimano and SRAM 11spd cassette, the spacing is the same.

oldpotatoe
10-31-2018, 06:17 AM
You can't use an 11 on EPS (i'm sure others will argue you can, but that's the party line)

You can also run a Shimano and SRAM 11spd cassette, the spacing is the same.

err, why not? The 'H-11 stuff is optimized for disc brake, 135/142mm rear ends but works just fine on a 130mm standard 11s setup..even on the 2 'S' brands.

Even EPS/Disc/Rim brake..

Joxster
10-31-2018, 03:10 PM
err, why not? The 'H-11 stuff is optimized for disc brake, 135/142mm rear ends but works just fine on a 130mm standard 11s setup..even on the 2 'S' brands.

Even EPS/Disc/Rim brake..

From memory it's to do with the angle of the mech on the 11T

From GFK's site

Q: I already have an Athena / Potenza / Chorus / Record ? Super Record groupset. What parts do I need to buy to convert to EPS?

A: The 11s mechanical crankset, chain, cassette and brakes that you have are all compatible with EPS, except for the 11-29 and 11-32 cassettes.
The additional parts that you will need are the EPS commands, the Interface, The Power Unit, the Front Derailleur, the Rear Derailleur and a Charger.

NoMoreParagon
10-31-2018, 06:00 PM
H11 cassette is cheaper cause it’s nowhere close to the construction performance of Record and Super Record cog set.

The H11 sits in a Potenza/Centaur kinda class.
Nothing wrong with that. It will shift perfectly. Will just be heavier.

As far as 11/32 on EPS don’t do it. It might seem to work but you will put so much stress.

There is a popular turnaround which involves replacing the EPS cage with a potenza HO (medium cage) one. You might read spring return between Record and Potenza is different. But in my experience it works just fine.

Otherwise the safe option is to get a 12/29 cassette.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R3awak3n
10-31-2018, 06:52 PM
H11 cassette is cheaper cause it’s nowhere close to the construction performance of Record and Super Record cog set.

The H11 sits in a Potenza/Centaur kinda class.
Nothing wrong with that. It will shift perfectly. Will just be heavier.

As far as 11/32 on EPS don’t do it. It might seem to work but you will put so much stress.

There is a popular turnaround which involves replacing the EPS cage with a potenza HO (medium cage) one. You might read spring return between Record and Potenza is different. But in my experience it works just fine.

Otherwise the safe option is to get a 12/29 cassette.

what he said.

someone on weight weenies transplanted it and said worked fine, but of course its a no no according to campy.

Not EPS but I tried 11-32 with a short cage chorus and its nothing I would recommend....

but now thinking about it, why not try one of those wolf tooth road links? that may work.

NoMoreParagon
10-31-2018, 08:37 PM
what he said.

someone on weight weenies transplanted it and said worked fine, but of course its a no no according to campy.

Not EPS but I tried 11-32 with a short cage chorus and its nothing I would recommend....

but now thinking about it, why not try one of those wolf tooth road links? that may work.

Oh yes! The road link. Great idea. Is shifting ok? Somebody said is less precise. Never tested it

Duende
10-31-2018, 10:46 PM
what he said.

I think it's frame dependent. 11-32 worked fine on my frame. I don't cross chain though (not saying you do).

Anyways, I've long since migrated to Shimano freewheels. Way more options and gearing selections to choose from.... And I'm a diehard Campy man.

R3awak3n
11-01-2018, 03:43 AM
I think it's frame dependent. 11-32 worked fine on my frame. I don't cross chain though (not saying you do).

Anyways, I've long since migrated to Shimano freewheels. Way more options and gearing selections to choose from.... And I'm a diehard Campy man.

yeah I only use shimano cassettes myself.

oldpotatoe
11-01-2018, 07:11 AM
From memory it's to do with the angle of the mech on the 11T

From GFK's site

Q: I already have an Athena / Potenza / Chorus / Record ? Super Record groupset. What parts do I need to buy to convert to EPS?

A: The 11s mechanical crankset, chain, cassette and brakes that you have are all compatible with EPS, except for the 11-29 and 11-32 cassettes.
The additional parts that you will need are the EPS commands, the Interface, The Power Unit, the Front Derailleur, the Rear Derailleur and a Charger.

Pretty sure that's because of the rear der cage length not that fact that it's an 11t first cog. Under 'Electronic groupsets, these are listed as the available cogsets..

11-23, 11-25, 11-27, 11-29, 12-25, 12-27, 12-29

R3awak3n
11-01-2018, 09:45 AM
Oh yes! The road link. Great idea. Is shifting ok? Somebody said is less precise. Never tested it

Not sure as I never used it but was thinking about trying the road link with potenza mid cage and either a 34T or 36T cassette

Duende
11-01-2018, 10:13 AM
yeah I only use shimano cassettes myself.

Fwiw, I’m rocking a 11-34 with my H11 derailleur. :eek:

R3awak3n
11-01-2018, 10:37 AM
Fwiw, I’m rocking a 11-34 with my H11 derailleur. :eek:

and no problems to report? I mean, I am not surprised that it works just fine.

Duende
11-01-2018, 10:47 AM
and no problems to report? I mean, I am not surprised that it works just fine.

Works a absolutely fine. The H11 RD has a longer cage as I’m sure you know. I’m thinking I could push a 36 cog even. Chain slap/slack being my only concern really.

R3awak3n
11-01-2018, 11:20 AM
Works a absolutely fine. The H11 RD has a longer cage as I’m sure you know. I’m thinking I could push a 36 cog even. Chain slap/slack being my only concern really.

dude on weight weenies put a 36 on an athena, but the athena is longer than the potenza right? or are they both mid?

Duende
11-01-2018, 07:59 PM
dude on weight weenies put a 36 on an athena, but the athena is longer than the potenza right? or are they both mid?

Don’t know. I’m rocking a H11 Record set-up

R3awak3n
11-02-2018, 03:28 AM
Don’t know. I’m rocking a H11 Record set-up

Record h11 is same cage size as potenza. This is all good to know, I may buy a 34T or even 36T cassette and try it.

Duende
11-02-2018, 06:35 AM
I think a 36 will work but you may have to keep the chain short. And thereby lockingout big to big cross chaining

oldpotatoe
11-02-2018, 07:16 AM

Should be mentioned that you can put a BIG cogset onto just about any rear der..as long as the chain is short enough to prevent upper pulley to biggest cog noise. Of course that means Big-Big maybe a big no-no or broken chain, rear der, frame 'may happen'.

I put a MTB cogset on a lady's DA 8s rig, 'back in the day', for a hill climb race..worked fine but not enough chain for big-big..just make it short enough that the cage rotates enough to keep pulley off largest cog...