PDA

View Full Version : OT: car inspection services for classic/modified cars

Kirk007
10-28-2018, 07:49 PM
Anyone ever buy a car remotely and use an inspection service like Aim Certify or Automobile Inspections? Kiddo has a thing for Datsun 510s and we've found one that has been garaged and essentially not driven for 20 years after having been mod'd by the founders of BRE Racing back in the day. Owner (son of deceased father) says he's gone through it and got it back to running.

Obviously its not like buying a 2012 toyota and before investing time and money in airplane tickets etc. we're seeking to get more detailed evaluation. Any and all recommendations for inspector would be much appreciated!

Car is in California

Louis
10-28-2018, 08:02 PM
I bought my '73 Alfa GTV long-distance from the LA area. Had a local shop that specialized in Alfas take a look. They did a mostly thorough job, and caught more than I would have seen myself, but didn't catch everything.

I'd say that a PPI can catch the big things, but not all. If you're getting a car that's been extensively modified that makes things even trickier.

Good luck.

Kirk007
10-28-2018, 08:26 PM
Thanks Louis. Good idea, I'll look around for some Japanese specialty shops in the area.

AngryScientist
10-28-2018, 08:33 PM
My biggest concern would be rust and rot. You can fix almost anything mechanical, but if the bones are not good it’s a disaster.

Louis
10-28-2018, 08:33 PM
I should say that there's another risk with a PPI:

When I was looking for GTVs I found one down in Dallas and the owner and I agreed on a price pending a PPI, and he took it to a shop for that. However, while it was there a local car enthusiast saw it, and bought it on the spot. The seller did it mainly because it's a lot easier to do a local sale and avoid having to deal with the shippers.

cuwinbs
10-28-2018, 09:01 PM
where at in Ca?

likebikes
10-28-2018, 09:05 PM
what's so good about 510s?

Kirk007
10-28-2018, 09:19 PM
where at in Ca?

Bay area

Kirk007
10-28-2018, 09:23 PM

there a thing for some: https://bringatrailer.com/datsun/510/

My son's an aviation mechanic with some artistic tendencies and likes to wrench, I'd go a different way. That website - bringatrailer could be a real dangerous place to hang out.

texbike
10-28-2018, 09:24 PM
I bought my '73 Alfa GTV long-distance from the LA area. Had a local shop that specialized in Alfas take a look. They did a mostly thorough job, and caught more than I would have seen myself, but didn't catch everything.

I'd say that a PPI can catch the big things, but not all. If you're getting a car that's been extensively modified that makes things even trickier.

Good luck.

^This the way to go. Find a forum that specializes in 510s (is the Dime still around?) and ask for someone that can conduct a PPI in the area.

My biggest concern would be rust and rot. You can fix almost anything mechanical, but if the bones are not good it’s a disaster.

Agreed! Rust and accident history would be my two biggest concerns with a 510. Mechanical parts are easy to find and long-lived. Tons of great info out there to support them.

510s are light, reliable, classic, easy to modify, fun to drive, and have a cool motorsports history. These things can bring more than $30K these days for a really nice, properly modified car. One with an actual BRE history would be VERY cool to have.

Texbike

cuwinbs
10-28-2018, 09:28 PM
Bay area

Troy Ermish INC 510-252-1001 is the 510 guru in the bay area.

unterhausen
10-28-2018, 09:44 PM
It was definitely a neat little car

dddd
10-28-2018, 10:30 PM
It's a death-trap by today's standards, but no worse than a bicycle I suppose.

For any car that has been modified for racing, first question might be how well (or how long) that it runs on pump gas.

I bought a modified Kawasaki H2 street bike back in 1988 and found that it couldn't be ridden on the street for more than a few minutes (even on 105-octane pump gas) before it started pinging. I did the sensible thing at that point and turned it into a full-on dragstrip bike, where it delivered a strong three seasons of racing on the original (to me) motor top-end (while using VP C12 race fuel having a very high 112 octane).

Kirk007
10-29-2018, 10:43 AM
It's a death-trap by today's standards, but no worse than a bicycle I suppose.

roll cage helps. Good point of fuel; car in question though looks like its just tuned stock engine - daily driver + track days, not true racing carf.

Ken Robb
10-29-2018, 11:53 AM
What is the price of this 510?

Kirk007
10-29-2018, 04:16 PM
There's a couple rolling around with various mods for 15-18k. Good body and chassis for 7500. Nice one with good work etc just sold for 37+ on auction.What is the price of this 510?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Louis
10-29-2018, 04:27 PM
If the deal for the 510 falls through he should consider an Alfa Giulia Super:

https://petrolicious.com/marketplace/1965-alfa-romeo-giulia-super-euro-spec

https://d39a3h63xew422.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/07095342/1965-alfa-romeo-giulia-super-6-500x331.jpg

William
10-29-2018, 04:56 PM
Just outside the Bay area...
https://ermish-racing.com

They did a lot on this one featured on Jay Leno's Garage...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwhwwrkYMpc

William

gemship
10-29-2018, 05:10 PM
roll cage helps. Good point of fuel; car in question though looks like its just tuned stock engine - daily driver + track days, not true racing carf.

Those 510's sure are cool to look at. Especially the resto mods. However how old is your son? What is it that attracts him to these old cars? Is it the looks? They look to me like no matter how sorted they are they will always be garage projects that really need some pampering. I mean you wouldn't want to have to rely on one no matter how reliable it maybe as they could easily turn into rust buckets if driven on a daily basis. I dunno, I'm 44 and have been having fun with this used 2009 Subaru Outback I recently bought a couple months ago. It's a 5 speed and honestly I think just about anything stick shift can be fun to drive. My biggest regret is that I didn't get the turbo charged model. So upon saying that I would recommend ditching the 510 idea for a wrx but what do I know maybe he already has one and just wants one of these 510's anyways. It's funny because I was being cheap when I bought my used Outback but when I see the prices for these resurrected 510's they make a used wrx seem like a bargain.

Ken Robb
10-29-2018, 05:17 PM
I know we all have our own set of priorities but I can think of MANY cars I'd rather have for $15,000 that would be fun to drive and a lot safer if involved in a wreck with one of the distracted moronic drivers we have to dodge these days. I don't suppose, for instance, you could sell him on the idea of a BMW 3 Series could you?

Llewellyn
10-29-2018, 05:31 PM

These (called the 1600 over here) were the rally car of choice in this country for years before the sport went semi-pro.

Kirk007
10-29-2018, 07:39 PM
yeah Gemship I hear ya but he's a mechanic and likes to tinker, and I think there's something in the water in the Pacific NW as these cars are quite the cult item. He likes WRX's but finds them pedestrian - his roommate has one. He has a reliable Toyota tundra as a DD, lives in Bend OR - generally dry climate, has a garage for it etc. Sometimes you have to scratch an itch to find out that it wasn't such a big thing in the first place.

That said, I'm with you Ken and he is starting to think about other cars and is looking at a BMW E30 right now.

Ken Robb
10-29-2018, 09:26 PM
yeah Gemship I hear ya but he's a mechanic and likes to tinker, and I think there's something in the water in the Pacific NW as these cars are quite the cult item. He likes WRX's but finds them pedestrian - his roommate has one. He has a reliable Toyota tundra as a DD, lives in Bend OR - generally dry climate, has a garage for it etc. Sometimes you have to scratch an itch to find out that it wasn't such a big thing in the first place.

That said, I'm with you Ken and he is starting to think about other cars and is looking at a BMW E30 right now.

I used to be very familiar with BMWs and instructed 300 plus days at BMWCCA HPDEs. My 1992 325i, 1998 M3 and 2004 330i with Performance Package would all be better in every way and SAFER due to ABS, air bags, chassis integrity, crush zones, air bags. Don't laugh: I now drive a 2007 MINI Cooper S and it is kick-ass fun on a twisty road, is pretty frisky and averages about 30 mpg. My dogs love riding in the back with the seats folded. I can fit a 62cm bike back there too with the wheels removed. I loved e-30 325is too but the e-36 is better in every way.

Kirk007
10-29-2018, 10:06 PM
I used to be very familiar with BMWs and instructed 300 plus days at BMWCCA HPDEs. My 1992 325i, 1998 M3 and 2004 330i with Performance Package would all be better in every way and SAFER due to ABS, air bags, chassis integrity, crush zones, air bags. Don't laugh: I now drive a 2007 MINI Cooper S and it is kick-ass fun on a twisty road, is pretty frisky and averages about 30 mpg. My dogs love riding in the back with the seats folded. I can fit a 62cm bike back there too with the wheels removed. I loved e-30 325is too but the e-36 is better in every way.

whose laughing - we had a 2007 mini coupe and now a 2017 Countryman S allfour - not as fun as the coupe but for where we are its more useful. Just found a nice 2005 M3 to look at ....

gemship
10-30-2018, 05:34 AM

Oh well never mind, sounds like it's going to be a fun second vehicle with a good home to maintain its value. So I say go for it and scratch that itch. i guess I pictured a different scenario with your son being just as passionate for the wheels but maybe a whole lot younger and without a primary driver. I can definitely see a WRX as more pedestrian. My Outback has that going on but I was previously driving a 2002 GMC Sierra full size truck, talk about a tank. When I upshift keeping the revs no more than a hair above 3k the Outback is really no frills. However as silly as it sounds when I get on just the right curvy roads with no one else around and give her the gas to about 4k on the upshifts 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th mostly the car really moves. However I think for that car being awd it would take a whole lot more hp to really make it feel spirited. However for me this car was kinda a swiss army knife of a compromise between mpg, price, reliability and being able to work out of it and maintain my current lifestyle. I kinda needed the ground clearance so that's why I wrote off the wrx as well as wanting better economy. Well Good luck to your son in his search. I did see that Jay Leno's garage special on the resto mod 510 awhile ago and it made me take notice then. Can't say it enough but really fun cars.