PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo freehub body compatibility question - new scirocco wheels - broken stuff

mtechnica
10-27-2018, 06:54 PM
Anyone know which freehub bodies are compatible with the new scirocco C17 wheels? Any campy/fulcrum freehubs back to a certain date? I just had a mishap with my brand new wheels, the threads just cracked off while I was installing a cassette! I think they were defective in some way. I asked campy for a new one but I might just buy one if I can find a cheap one. I broke off the remaining parts of the threads and put the lockring in and it seems like it's fine but I don't fully trust it :eek::help:

Big Dan
10-27-2018, 07:14 PM
That's a bad deal.
I find the Campy wheels to be overrated.
Not impressed with my Zondas at all.

zmudshark
10-27-2018, 08:13 PM
As an old guy with old stuff, I'm shocked to hear that the new stuff is maybe not as good.

mtechnica
10-27-2018, 08:14 PM
I have a set of zondas that I like, as well as fulcrum racing 7 CX on my cross bike and my girlfriend has fulcrum racing 5 on two of her bikes, never had a problem with any of them until this one. I bought these to have some durable commuter wheels, they were like $220 shipped or something..

mtechnica
10-27-2018, 08:16 PM
As an old guy with old stuff, I'm shocked to hear that the new stuff is maybe not as good.

The wheels themselves seem good besides the questionable freehub. Could have been something got stuck in the threads, I don't know. That part seems pretty weak but there are lots of threads past the section I broke off so maybe it doesn't even need the part that broke off :rolleyes:

zmudshark
10-27-2018, 08:34 PM
The wheels themselves seem good besides the questionable freehub. Could have been something got stuck in the threads, I don't know. That part seems pretty weak but there are lots of threads past the section I broke off so maybe it doesn't even need the part that broke off :rolleyes:

Still sticking with old Italian stuff, not new Romanian.:rolleyes:

mtechnica
10-27-2018, 10:15 PM
Well we’ll see if they hook me up with a new freehub. Will update - in the meanwhile I’m going to just ride it with the lockring how it is. It felt like it had quite a few turns to tighten it anyway so I doubt it’s going to matter whether or not it had those few extra threads ultimately.

mtechnica
10-27-2018, 10:16 PM
Still sticking with old Italian stuff, not new Romanian.:rolleyes:

FWIW I have a pair of vintage Shamals too - they are the worst wheels ever. Good luck mounting tires on them and they weigh A TON. They look sweet though ;)

jemoryl
10-27-2018, 10:44 PM
FWIW I have a pair of vintage Shamals too - they are the worst wheels ever. Good luck mounting tires on them and they weigh A TON. They look sweet though ;)

For easier tire mounting on older Campy wheels get some really thin rim strips. I replaced the factory green Michelin strips on my Protons with some Rox ultra-light strips and it made tire installation a cinch.

oldpotatoe
10-28-2018, 05:36 AM
Anyone know which freehub bodies are compatible with the new scirocco C17 wheels? Any campy/fulcrum freehubs back to a certain date? I just had a mishap with my brand new wheels, the threads just cracked off while I was installing a cassette! I think they were defective in some way. I asked campy for a new one but I might just buy one if I can find a cheap one. I broke off the remaining parts of the threads and put the lockring in and it seems like it's fine but I don't fully trust it :eek::help:

Strangely enough, any Campagnolo made 11s freehub body from 1998/9-2018 will work fine on this wheel(oversized aluminum axle hub)...Older FHB's fit onto 'lobed' axles(2006+) and non lobed axles also. HG compatible ones or Campag compatible ones. The axle/FHB changed as a result of splitting FHB, so new, one piece FHB and lobed axle but older FHBs fit on fine. Campag or Fulcrum..Another really nice feature with Campag/Fulcrum wheels..try putting a 11s FHB onto an older DA 10s wheelset..DOH!!

Who did you buy these from?

mtechnica
10-28-2018, 07:46 AM
Strangely enough, any Campagnolo made 11s freehub body from 1998/9-2018 will work fine on this wheel(oversized aluminum axle hub)...Older FHB's fit onto 'lobed' axles(2006+) and non lobed axles also. HG compatible ones or Campag compatible ones. The axle/FHB changed as a result of splitting FHB, so new, one piece FHB and lobed axle but older FHBs fit on fine. Campag or Fulcrum..Another really nice feature with Campag/Fulcrum wheels..try putting a 11s FHB onto an older DA 10s wheelset..DOH!!

Who did you buy these from?

Excellent, thanks for the info!

Bought them from probikekit.

Dave
10-28-2018, 08:08 AM
I've owned a lot of Campy wheels, including the early model Shamals - both the 16 and 12 spoke front wheel versions. Sure they were heavy, but they were more aerodynamic. Also owned Fulcrum Zero wheels. Now I have a new set of Sciroccos on my 14 year old LOOK and Zondas on my new Colnago C-RS. Never had any tire mounting issues with any of them. Never had a freehub body problem either.

Be sure to use a torque wrench when tightening the lock nut.

ultraman6970
10-28-2018, 09:27 AM
Maybe the lockring was not straight when the 1st 3 threads went in and the hub did what it suppounse to do, snapped in the weakest point, which was a good thing if you think about it.

dddd
10-28-2018, 10:48 PM
Maybe the lockring was not straight when the 1st 3 threads went in and the hub did what it suppounse to do, snapped in the weakest point, which was a good thing if you think about it.

That's what I was thinking, and it occurred to me that perhaps even more common is when the first-position cog gets put on with the splines incorrectly indexed, and all of the lockring's tension force ends up pulling the freehub body from one spot instead of evenly all the way around.
An incorrectly-indexed small cog is actually hard to notice until the lockring fails to compress the cassette cogs evenly, since the depth of engagement of the splines is shallow enough to allow the lockring to start threading into the freehub body even when one side of the cog isn't settling into the splines.

Good to know that Campy's freehub bodies are so interchangeable!

I've noticed that many setups on Shimano or Mavic freehubs often engage fewer than two full turns before final torquing, even when alloy lockrings are used. They sustain a surprisingly-high level of tightening torque nonetheless, and I haven't had one fail.

mtechnica
10-29-2018, 07:57 AM
Yeah there’s definitely a chance it was my fault, although I typically make sure threads start by hand before torquing to make sure they aren’t cross threaded. I guess I still think there was a piece of something in the threads. That said it did not take much to break off the pieces of those threads (about half) that was left after the initial destruction, so I think they aren’t very strong compared to say a steel Shimano freehub.

I’ve also noticed on some freehub the lockring doesn’t spin in a whole lot of times before torquing, which is why I suspect that this lockring is in there well enough as it is. Like I said I’ll update if anyone is curious what Campagnolo tells me... lol.

mtechnica
10-29-2018, 10:32 AM
Update: they’re telling me to take the wheel into a bike shop and have them possibly send the freehub back for analysis then they’ll decide if they will give me a new one. My guess is they’ll just decide it was my fault somehow anyways.

It will be easier and ultimately cost me less to just buy one off the internet than It would to take the time to drive to LA and deal with some random shop and wait for a feeehub when the broken one I have seems to work fine anyways. So forget that.

Pretty lame they won’t just send me the part but whatever.

gfk_velo
10-30-2018, 03:28 AM
Update: they’re telling me to take the wheel into a bike shop and have them possibly send the freehub back for analysis then they’ll decide if they will give me a new one. My guess is they’ll just decide it was my fault somehow anyways.

It will be easier and ultimately cost me less to just buy one off the internet than It would to take the time to drive to LA and deal with some random shop and wait for a feeehub when the broken one I have seems to work fine anyways. So forget that.

As with most manufacturers, they'll want to see the damaged part - can you imagine the costs if Campagnolo (or SRAM, Shimano, or anyone else) just shipped replacements on customer say-so? Not wishing to insult any customer reading this - but I think you'd all agree that an open policy like that would be so open to abuse that a return-the-item system needs to be in place.

Every warranty that is granted costs money (not just the cost of the part but also all of the process around warranty) and the only way that money can be re-couped is through sales - so every warranty that goes through, that is not valid, increases the costs of all the product in the market - Campagnolo's overall warranty rate is a very small fraction of a single percentage point - but the principle holds true.

Valid warranty is also important as it informs production and QC processes and also decisions that are made on materials, assembly, what spares to keep available in the market and for how long - a whole raft of things that most consumers (fortunately) don't have to consider ...

It's not widely known (though it's no particular secret) but every "first case" of a failure that is returned to the Campagnolo factory starts a secondary R and D process to figure out the cause and to see if remedial measures need to be put into place. Sometimes it can take time to find out where the cause lies - especially if it's the result of a practice in the market that was not taken into account in the design process is responsible, sometimes if a condition of use considered to be very unlikely is responsible ... but if, at the end of that process, a production or design issue is found, all affected product is withdrawn from the supply chain where it's practical to do so, affected production inside the factory is either scrapped or modified and then a system is set up to monitor ongoing production to ensure that the product really is fixed.

This is why Campagnolo have a policy called "running change" so where an issue is isolated, measures can be taken not at a model-year-end but mid-flow in production.

That is not a cheap process and it does rely on the failure being forwarded, in the 1st instance at least, to the Service Centre(s) in the market.

In a case like this, Campagnolo NA (presumably) will definitely want to see it, as would any of the SCs here in the UK, for instance.

It's such a rare problem, in 10 years of looking after warranty for all of the UK, I have only seen it once where the problem was attributable to a production issue. I've seen it from other causes (non-Campag lockrings, initial cross-threading, top sprocket not on square, total seizing of the two mating parts, etc) but only one time where there was not a clear indicator of a problem other than something in the production process.

There are two reasons for to return possibly faulty production to the SC -

1. the possibility that it "is" a customer error, in which case no liability exists (although the option to replace under goodwill might come into operation).

2. there is a production fault that needs to be traced back up the line as described above, which is why the wheel, or at very least the serial number on the wheel is requested, so that this can be done.

As OldPotatoe says, any cassette body, Campagnolo or Fulcrum, for the alloy axle will fit.

The current Campagnolo part numbers are FH-BUU015 (Campagnolo spline) or FH-BUU015X1 (Shimano spline). We'd advise the current FH bodies as small changes have been made to the pawls and pawl springs to increase durability.

oldpotatoe
10-30-2018, 06:19 AM

GFK sums it really well but just about every manufacturer wants to 'see' the busted part before replacing..I just went thru this with a computer keyboard..it obviousy didn't work, I sent a wee movie showing how it didn't work..but they still wanted to see it...and yes, I'm getting a new one.

teleguy57
10-30-2018, 07:10 AM
GFK sums it really well but just about every manufacturer wants to 'see' the busted part before replacing..I just went thru this with a computer keyboard..it obviousy didn't work, I sent a wee movie showing how it didn't work..but they still wanted to see it...and yes, I'm getting a new one.

Obviously because you use it so much sharing your expertise here :beer: We're fortunate to have you on the forum!

oldpotatoe
10-30-2018, 07:39 AM
Obviously because you use it so much sharing your expertise here :beer: We're fortunate to have you on the forum!

Thanks!! Very nice but it was a portable keyboard, protective gizmo for my Ipad..but thanks again..:)

jamesdak
10-30-2018, 07:51 AM
That's a bad deal.
I find the Campy wheels to be overrated.
Not impressed with my Zondas at all.

I find them to be great bang for the buck. Everytime I need new wheels and look at handbuilts I can't justify it when Campy has a comparable wheel for cheaper. I've yet to touch any of them in terms of truing or spoke/rim damage. I think if anything they are underrated. :banana::banana:

So there we go, between the two of us they're just average. :p

mtechnica
10-30-2018, 01:52 PM

As with most manufacturers, they'll want to see the damaged part - can you imagine the costs if Campagnolo (or SRAM, Shimano, or anyone else) just shipped replacements on customer say-so? Not wishing to insult any customer reading this - but I think you'd all agree that an open policy like that would be so open to abuse that a return-the-item system needs to be in place.

Every warranty that is granted costs money (not just the cost of the part but also all of the process around warranty) and the only way that money can be re-couped is through sales - so every warranty that goes through, that is not valid, increases the costs of all the product in the market - Campagnolo's overall warranty rate is a very small fraction of a single percentage point - but the principle holds true.

Valid warranty is also important as it informs production and QC processes and also decisions that are made on materials, assembly, what spares to keep available in the market and for how long - a whole raft of things that most consumers (fortunately) don't have to consider ...

It's not widely known (though it's no particular secret) but every "first case" of a failure that is returned to the Campagnolo factory starts a secondary R and D process to figure out the cause and to see if remedial measures need to be put into place. Sometimes it can take time to find out where the cause lies - especially if it's the result of a practice in the market that was not taken into account in the design process is responsible, sometimes if a condition of use considered to be very unlikely is responsible ... but if, at the end of that process, a production or design issue is found, all affected product is withdrawn from the supply chain where it's practical to do so, affected production inside the factory is either scrapped or modified and then a system is set up to monitor ongoing production to ensure that the product really is fixed.

This is why Campagnolo have a policy called "running change" so where an issue is isolated, measures can be taken not at a model-year-end but mid-flow in production.

That is not a cheap process and it does rely on the failure being forwarded, in the 1st instance at least, to the Service Centre(s) in the market.

In a case like this, Campagnolo NA (presumably) will definitely want to see it, as would any of the SCs here in the UK, for instance.

It's such a rare problem, in 10 years of looking after warranty for all of the UK, I have only seen it once where the problem was attributable to a production issue. I've seen it from other causes (non-Campag lockrings, initial cross-threading, top sprocket not on square, total seizing of the two mating parts, etc) but only one time where there was not a clear indicator of a problem other than something in the production process.

There are two reasons for to return possibly faulty production to the SC -

1. the possibility that it "is" a customer error, in which case no liability exists (although the option to replace under goodwill might come into operation).

2. there is a production fault that needs to be traced back up the line as described above, which is why the wheel, or at very least the serial number on the wheel is requested, so that this can be done.

As OldPotatoe says, any cassette body, Campagnolo or Fulcrum, for the alloy axle will fit.

The current Campagnolo part numbers are FH-BUU015 (Campagnolo spline) or FH-BUU015X1 (Shimano spline). We'd advise the current FH bodies as small changes have been made to the pawls and pawl springs to increase durability.

Thanks for the info but yes, I understand the process and it makes sense; it’s just unfortunate that for me in particular it’s quite inconvenient. If it were over something that wasn’t an easily replaceable wear item I’d go to the shop and let them do their thing, but for those of you that have had to drive from an outlying city to LA you’ll understand why this isn’t ideal (that’s where the campy shops are) - especially when working until 5 every day and having limited free time - it doesn’t seem worth the trouble. I’m not mad at Campagnolo or blaming them in anyway, it is what it is, and I’ll admit I could have done something wrong installing the cassette which is another reason I’m fine with just buying a replacement.

Dave
10-30-2018, 05:21 PM
Sometimes, warranties just aren't worth the trouble. In your case, as long as you have three turns of thread engagement, there is little chance of a problem. I'd use it as-is and not worry about it. You can always search for the lowest cost replacement. You might find one cheap on E-bay.