PDA

View Full Version : Tool roll suggestions

Jmaxwel8
10-27-2018, 11:40 AM
Looking for suggestions on tool rolls? There are so many options I was hoping I could narrow the search down by asking opinions

dustyrider
10-27-2018, 12:43 PM
I’ve got a dark green roadrunner tool roll I’m not using. I like bags better!

joosttx
10-27-2018, 12:47 PM
I highly recommend Velocolour's Toolroll. They have three sizes. I linked the largest one.

https://store.velocolour.com/product/dynamite-roll

parallelfish
10-27-2018, 12:52 PM
I have been happy with the Silca Premio

bart998
10-27-2018, 01:13 PM
I really like the Acorn Roll bag... a little bigger than the others. https://www.acornbags.com/collections/rear-bags/products/roll-bag?variant=1113865224

Clancy
10-27-2018, 02:32 PM
Not a tool roll exactly but hands down the best I’ve ever used - Speedsleeve. Come in three different sizes I’ve used the Silca and Arundel and the Speedsleeve has them beat, not even close.

Bruce K
10-27-2018, 02:37 PM
Seven Two Velo makes a REALLY nice one

BK

ptourkin
10-27-2018, 04:04 PM
Laura rules

http://soulrun.com/

Bruce K
10-27-2018, 04:43 PM
^this too^

Her stuff is good

It might depend on if this for back of your car or traveling

BK

froze
10-27-2018, 04:44 PM
Lezyne Roll Caddy is pretty decent on Amazon; https://www.amazon.com/Lezyne-Caddy-Essentials-Organizer-Saddle/dp/B00R0W7UG8. Blackburn Wayside tool Roll is pretty decent https://www.blackburndesign.com/wayside-tool-roll.html

Cicli
10-27-2018, 05:16 PM
I have gone with this one when I need anything more that a small bag that will fit in a jersey.

fbhidy
10-27-2018, 05:49 PM
I have the Pedro's (couple years old.)
Not a fan, but living with it until it wears out or I get too frustrated with it...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

charliedid
10-27-2018, 06:28 PM
Roadrunner Bags

fogrider
10-27-2018, 09:31 PM
Looking for suggestions on tool rolls? There are so many options I was hoping I could narrow the search down by asking opinions

is there a reason for a tool roll? it looks cool, but it's a pain every time you want to access anything. I'm not a fan of a saddle bag to begin with...

cinema
10-28-2018, 09:37 PM
this one is the best and i'm right because no on else can be right https://teamdreambicyclingteam.com/products/yanco-and-team-dream-rolls

looks like this thread will NOT help you narrow down your choices

chiasticon
10-29-2018, 08:25 AM
it's unclear what type of tool roll you're after. a small one for your saddlebag to store a few things? a medium one for your bag to store a few more things? or a big one for the back of your car to store most of your tools?

saddle: I like the Silca Premio, though it's not perfect. the Yanco one is also very good, but hipster stupid-expensive.
back of car with a bunch of tools: I have a Carhartt one that's been working great for a few years now. grabbed it for about $20 from Amazon.

charliedid
10-29-2018, 08:44 AM
is there a reason for a tool roll? it looks cool, but it's a pain every time you want to access anything. I'm not a fan of a saddle bag to begin with...

IMO I like a small tool roll because there is no zipper to be fouled and everything is contained and some segregation is possible due to slots/pockets so no digging around or emptying the entire thing to find what you are after.

I only carry a flat fix kit and multi tool with a couple small part ....just in case stuff. I don't put keys or money or anything in it I need to access regularly.

I also like I can wrap up a rag in the whole thing and lay it out on the ground if I am using it.

Just my 2 cents

10-30-2018, 01:41 AM
If this is for the bike, use a water bottle with a wide mouth. I have a wide-mouth Specialized bottle that fits tubes, allen keys, CO2 cartridges, a pair of surgical gloves, tire levers, and other miscellaneous tools. Fill the bottle with enough tools and supplies so it doesn't rattle inside and put it in one bottle cage.

If you are looking for a bigger tool roll, check out the Atlas 46 line. Superb bulletproof products.

BobbyJones
10-30-2018, 06:39 AM
IMO I like a small tool roll because there is no zipper to be fouled and everything is contained and some segregation is possible due to slots/pockets so no digging around or emptying the entire thing to find what you are after......I also like I can wrap up a rag in the whole thing and lay it out on the ground if I am using it.

Just my 2 cents

This was my thinking as well, so I bought a Roadrunner, thinking the stories on the internet about tool rolls "unrolling" were overblown. The first couple of days were ok, until it happened to me. Just one more unnecessary hassle.

I think tool rolls are really just a romantic nod to the days before bags were commercially available.

That being said, if you do go with one, get one with a flap that has velcro or a snap so when the unrolling finally happens you won't lose much.

charliedid
10-30-2018, 06:48 AM
This was my thinking as well, so I bought a Roadrunner, thinking the stories on the internet about tool rolls "unrolling" were overblown. The first couple of days were ok, until it happened to me. Just one more unnecessary hassle.

I think tool rolls are really just a romantic nod to the days before bags were commercially available.

That being said, if you do go with one, get one with a flap that has velcro or a snap so when the unrolling finally happens you won't lose much.

It unrolled while attached to the bike? If so, I agree that is a mess.

I guess I attach it tight enough to where this wouldn't happen?

So far so good with mine.

charliedid
10-30-2018, 06:49 AM
If this is for the bike, use a water bottle with a wide mouth. I have a wide-mouth Specialized bottle that fits tubes, allen keys, CO2 cartridges, a pair of surgical gloves, tire levers, and other miscellaneous tools. Fill the bottle with enough tools and supplies so it doesn't rattle inside and put it in one bottle cage.

If you are looking for a bigger tool roll, check out the Atlas 46 line. Superb bulletproof products.

I always wrapped the stuff in a bit of shop rag to stop the rattle. I still would rather put stuff in a bag I guess. The bottle deal is a cool way to go no doubt.

BobbyJones
10-30-2018, 07:00 AM
It unrolled while attached to the bike? If so, I agree that is a mess.

I guess I attach it tight enough to where this wouldn't happen?

So far so good with mine.

I think its a case of what you're carrying. I don't go overboard, but definitely carry a bit more than a multi and patch kit, which gives the contents more opportunity to shift around and affect strap tension, etc.

For comparison, my favorite bags are the Arundel Duo. Toolroll-esque in shape and attachment with a nice wide zipper so it almost opens like a wallet. Unfortunately, they wear out (for me) pretty quickly.

charliedid
10-30-2018, 07:05 AM
I think its a case of what you're carrying. I don't go overboard, but definitely carry a bit more than a multi and patch kit, which gives the contents more opportunity to shift around and affect strap tension, etc.

For comparison, my favorite bags are the Arundel Duo. Toolroll-esque in shape and attachment with a nice wide zipper so it almost opens like a wallet. Unfortunately, they wear out (for me) pretty quickly.

Understood....and I would agree that they are most useful for a set it and forget it scenario. I use it on a commuter and it even sits in a pannier a lot of the time. Nothing's perfect is it :-)

Thanks

GScot
10-30-2018, 07:15 AM
I looked around and decided to make my own. Big sheet of canvas one edge folded over and sewed into a pockets for small stuff like patch kit and quick link. One flap added in middle to wrap tube(s). Fold it like a burrito, fill pockets and place tube then lay extra stuff in middle, fold sides over middle and roll it up. Couple of belt loops for a toe strap. Will try to add pictures later today.

charliedid
10-30-2018, 07:44 AM
I looked around and decided to make my own. Big sheet of canvas one edge folded over and sewed into a pockets for small stuff like patch kit and quick link. One flap added in middle to wrap tube(s). Fold it like a burrito, fill pockets and place tube then lay extra stuff in middle, fold sides over middle and roll it up. Couple of belt loops for a toe strap. Will try to add pictures later today.

Nice

You remembered the belt loops! Back when we used to just roll stuff up in canvas or a shop towel that was always the missing link. Many a lost flat fix kit...

jmoore
10-30-2018, 09:52 AM
Laura rules

http://soulrun.com/

^this

thedvlsh1
12-11-2018, 04:16 PM
this one is the best and i'm right because no on else can be right https://teamdreambicyclingteam.com/products/yanco-and-team-dream-rolls

looks like this thread will NOT help you narrow down your choices

A less expensive alternative to the Yanco x Team Dream Ramblin/Rumblin' Rolls are YNOT's Saddle Rolls --> https://www.ynotmade.com/en/shop/saddleroll/?sku=3679

SlowPokePete
12-11-2018, 05:18 PM
Check out the really sweet ones they have at Velocolour I think some are on sale...I have one and really like it.

SPP

Gummee
12-11-2018, 05:24 PM

I've got several PRO tool bottles with screw-off lids. Very good if you're going short. I've got an old Niterider bottle that spares came in at one shop that I was working for that's good and a 24oz bottle sized tool bottle that fits a very small pump that may be better depending on what I need to stuff in the top.

Also have the Silca. The saddle mount is better for when you need both bottles.

It seems that in this that opinions are like belly buttons: everyone's is different

M

zetroc
12-11-2018, 05:38 PM
Soulrun!

donevwil
12-11-2018, 06:01 PM
I've tried a few, albeit certainly not all the ones mentioned here, but my favorite is (was) the Morpha Roll that now appears to be called EH Works Tool Roll (https://eh-works.com/collections/bike-tool-rolls). What I carry varies and smaller rolls didn't have enough room or were too ungainly loaded up and other larger rolls didn't compress down well when lightly loaded. My Morpha accommodates the extremes very cleanly and holds securely with the leather toe strap.