PDA

View Full Version : OT: Barking dog @ new neighbors

Red Tornado
10-26-2018, 11:05 PM
Got new neighbors across the street early this spring. They fixed up the exterior of the house a little & haven't had any issues with them, so far so good.
They have had a German Shepherd for the last few weeks, seems like it's trained & stays on their property. They must have been keeping it inside overnight until the last several days. It's now in their back/side yard behind privacy fence and been barking all thru the night, dusk till dawn. Barks for a few minutes, stops for a few, repeat all night. Major sleep disruption as this dog is LOUD & right across the street.
Our city does have a barking dog ordinance, but I don't want to call animal control without talking to them first. Problem is, these folk look pretty rough. Not like the kind of people I would want to have pi$$ed at me, and I'm not the biggest/strongest guy around if you know what I mean. Not that it would come to that, but these days you never know.
What I don't get is how it doesn't bother them or they don't seem to hear it. That dog has to be right outside their bedroom windows.
Probably gonna ask the other close by neighbors if they've heard it & been kept awake.
I'm not the bad guy, seeing as I'm not the one keeping my neighbors up, but they may see it as an infringement on their business. Actually I guess it is my business too, when it has a negative effect on me. So probably will have to say something if it doesn't stop, before calling authorities.
Any suggestions how to approach these inconsiderate neighbors?

kookmyers
10-26-2018, 11:27 PM
Actually I guess it is my business too, when it has a negative effect on me.

Ha! If only this were true in our world.

I don’t have any actual advice other than just talking to them. Maybe you could bring over some homemade cookies to welcome them to the neighborhood then say you had an ulterial motive for stopping by and bring up the barking.

dustyrider
10-27-2018, 12:24 AM
Throw a jar of peanut butter over the fence just before you head to bed. :)

peanutgallery
10-27-2018, 01:02 AM
Ask them why they don't wear a helmet:)

You're going to have to sack up and stop by for a polite visit. Pay attention to their recycling and bring them what they drink. If you want the eternal hairy eyeball, call your local municipality and let them deal with it. Unfortunately, that comes with a price in the long term

Just an FYI. Learned a long time ago that you don't judge a man with a mullet ...by his mullet.

bironi
10-27-2018, 01:12 AM
You'll have to make that call.
We don't live there.
You do.
I hope things are resolved.

Peter P.
10-27-2018, 05:51 AM
The math says you HAVE to call Animal Control. Their job is to enforce those laws while minimizing potential personal conflicts.

You may have to capture the dog's barking on several nights with a camera to bolster your case.

If you check with other potentially offended neighbors you can possibly ask them to corroborate your complaint with Animal Control.

Let the forum know how this turns out.

R3awak3n
10-27-2018, 06:22 AM
I would not go the passive agressive route. I would talk o them first and see what they say. You can’t look at someone and know if they are tough or rough or whatever. Go talk to them and see whats going on.

oldpotatoe
10-27-2018, 06:44 AM
Got new neighbors across the street early this spring. They fixed up the exterior of the house a little & haven't had any issues with them, so far so good.
They have had a German Shepherd for the last few weeks, seems like it's trained & stays on their property. They must have been keeping it inside overnight until the last several days. It's now in their back/side yard behind privacy fence and been barking all thru the night, dusk till dawn. Barks for a few minutes, stops for a few, repeat all night. Major sleep disruption as this dog is LOUD & right across the street.
Our city does have a barking dog ordinance, but I don't want to call animal control without talking to them first. Problem is, these folk look pretty rough. Not like the kind of people I would want to have pi$$ed at me, and I'm not the biggest/strongest guy around if you know what I mean. Not that it would come to that, but these days you never know.
What I don't get is how it doesn't bother them or they don't seem to hear it. That dog has to be right outside their bedroom windows.
Probably gonna ask the other close by neighbors if they've heard it & been kept awake.
I'm not the bad guy, seeing as I'm not the one keeping my neighbors up, but they may see it as an infringement on their business. Actually I guess it is my business too, when it has a negative effect on me. So probably will have to say something if it doesn't stop, before calling authorities.
Any suggestions how to approach these inconsiderate neighbors?

Geez..politely go talk to them..not in your face but just ask, mention about the dog..maybe it bugs them too..If they get all agro, then call the dog control people.

sokyroadie
10-27-2018, 07:02 AM
Just let animal control deal with it, you will probably remain anonymous as they should say some neighbors were complaining. That is part of the job that you pay them to do.

OtayBW
10-27-2018, 07:12 AM
Another vote for talk first, animal control second. If you just go the latter route, I suspect your anonymity will be pretty transparent. I had a Gernam Shepherd for 14 years. Wonderfuld dogs, but you have to train them and work with them like any dog. GL.

Ralph
10-27-2018, 07:28 AM
In our county.....You are entitled to the quiet enjoyment of your home. So don't feel guilty over this. You are not the problem.

buddybikes
10-27-2018, 07:30 AM
1. Write a letter, not signed of you concern. Wait in see what happens
2. Is one of the spouses (wife) more cordial? Go to her without anger, just your concern
3. Look up local ordiances on animals, overnight outside may not be legal

last resort, call animal control

bigbill
10-27-2018, 07:36 AM
I live in a neighborhood with a lot of snowbirds. A couple recently returned for the winter and their dogs bark incessantly all day into the evening. At 10pm they magically get quiet (probably indoors). I think the owners are conscientious about the noise and time of day, but it still gets old. And I go to bed at 9pm because I get up at 4am.

charliedid
10-27-2018, 07:56 AM
Give the dog a few weeks to get comfortable in his/her new surroundings.

Sounds like a working dog.

AngryScientist
10-27-2018, 08:07 AM
Maybe they are dog sitting for a few weeks?

Otherwise if they are new dog owners they may just be clueless that a barking dog annoys neighbors. It may not be obvious to them just how far the sharpness of a dogs bark carries or how disturbing it can be to some people.

Either way, as a neighbor; I think you owe them the courtesy of letting them know in person that it’s an issue and give them a chance to respond and work it out before you involve the authorities.

Who knows; you may just make some new friends.

adub
10-27-2018, 08:16 AM
I live in a neighborhood with a lot of snowbirds. A couple recently returned for the winter and their dogs bark incessantly all day into the evening. At 10pm they magically get quiet (probably indoors). I think the owners are conscientious about the noise and time of day, but it still gets old. And I go to bed at 9pm because I get up at 4am.

Blame Canada! LOL!!

Dekonick
10-27-2018, 10:03 AM
Passive agressive (animal control, anon letter, etc...) Will result in friction... No one is stupid enough to not figure out it is a neighbor complaining. Be grown up, buy a welcome package - beer, cookies, and a barking collar... Go talk to them and make new friends. sometimes rough looking people are souls of the earth. Sometimes not...either way, far better to get to know them. Chances are they don't like their dog barking at night either...

Keep us updated! Best of luck!

rwsaunders
10-27-2018, 10:12 AM
I’m with Ralph as we have had several neighbors over the years who somehow believed that their dogs barked in silence. Especially the one that put her dog outside when she went to work at 4am and only brought it inside when her kids arrived back home after school. Sorry, she knew that it was rude but she “didn’t want the dog to eat her furniture and crap all over the house”...that was her response when I asked her to please keep the dog under control.

The barking continued and I called the police after another week of incessant barking. Suddenly, I was the bad guy because I obviously didn’t love her dog as much as her and her kids. She didn’t get the fact that her dog was not my problem. The police issued two warnings as other neighbors called, then a $250 fine was levied, which put an end to her relationship with the dog. Apparently her love for the dog had a $250 limit of pain.

I wouldn’t be shy at all about calling your police first, because if your encounter with the dog owner doesn’t go well, it doesn’t take much of an imagination to determine who called the police. Not worth the hassle IMHO.

john903
10-27-2018, 10:14 AM
Yup I am in the go over and say Hi camp. We live in a rural area had new neighbors move in next store with two dogs. They barked all the time as well. We went and introduced our selves and got to know each other He is a Chef at a nice restaurant and they both are gone during the day. He acknowledge it was a problem and over the course of a month the dogs slowly stopped barking. So I don't know what he did or if the dogs just got used to us but they have stopped barking. Oh one trick I learned also is I know the dogs names so when I walk by them I say there name. I think this helps because the dogs become familiar with me and my presence and voice.
Anyway I hope this helps.

415km
10-27-2018, 10:15 AM
Having been through this twice I'd actually recommend just calling someone, be it animal control or police. I have tried being neighborly in the past and all it did for me both times was bring it to their attention that it was us doing the complaining. I think anyone with even the tiniest bit of common sense and courtesy already knows that their neighbors don't want to hear a full size dog bark all night so mentioning it to them probably won't work.

Red Tornado
10-27-2018, 11:00 AM
I’m with Ralph as we have had several neighbors over the years who somehow believed that their dogs barked in silence. Especially the one that put her dog outside when she went to work at 4am and only brought it inside when her kids arrived back home after school. Sorry, she knew that it was rude but she “didn’t want the dog to eat her furniture and crap all over the house”...that was her response when I asked her to please keep the dog under control.
The barking continued and I called the police after another week of incessant barking. Suddenly, I was the bad guy because I obviously didn’t love her dog as much as her and her kids. She didn’t get the fact that her dog was not my problem. The police issued two warnings as other neighbors called, then a $250 fine was levied, which put an end to her relationship with the dog. Apparently her love for the dog had a $250 limit of pain.

I wouldn’t be shy at all about calling your police first, because if your encounter with the dog owner doesn’t go well, it doesn’t take much of an imagination to determine who called the police. Not worth the hassle IMHO.
This...

Having been through this twice I'd actually recommend just calling someone, be it animal control or police. I have tried being neighborly in the past and all it did for me both times was bring it to their attention that it was us doing the complaining. I think anyone with even the tiniest bit of common sense and courtesy already knows that their neighbors don't want to hear a full size dog bark all night so mentioning it to them probably won't work.
And this...

And also this....

I do not want to get into a confrontational situation with my neighbors. I just found out from another neighbor that their extended family has a history of run-ins with the law (drugs, theft). Not saying these people are the same, cause they seem OK besides the dog issue, but don't want to put myself or family in a place where we find out. This new detail add another wrinkle to the situation. My concern stems from a situation with a previous troublesome neighbor before we moved to Texas. Luckily, our rental house lease was almost up, so we moved shortly and it was over. Don't want to go down that road again.

However, agree that as a first choice talking to the owner(s) makes the most sense, in an effort to be mature about it. I'll give it a little while, and if no improvement, probably will try this and hope for the best. Might have the wife take over a plate of fresh-baked cookies. Maybe friendliness will be a good starter.

Ken Robb
10-27-2018, 11:36 AM
If it bothers you across the street surely it must be worse for the people next door. I'd talk to any other neighbors who might be bothered and try to get everyone affected to politely request the dog owners to fix the problem. If that doesn't work call the authorities.
It's possible that the dog owners have dual-glazed windows and/or sleep on the opposite side of their house from the dog and don't hear the noise.

Black Dog
10-27-2018, 01:02 PM
Blame Canada! LOL!!

haha or Minnesota.

gemship
10-27-2018, 01:14 PM
Passive agressive (animal control, anon letter, etc...) Will result in friction... No one is stupid enough to not figure out it is a neighbor complaining. Be grown up, buy a welcome package - beer, cookies, and a barking collar... Go talk to them and make new friends. sometimes rough looking people are souls of the earth. Sometimes not...either way, far better to get to know them. Chances are they don't like their dog barking at night either...

Keep us updated! Best of luck!

Listen to this suggestion and pay no attention to mine because antifreeze wadded up in hamburger can be an expensive gift:p

C40_guy
10-27-2018, 02:00 PM
Listen to this suggestion and pay no attention to mine because antifreeze wadded up in hamburger can be an expensive gift:p

PSA: For the one person on the planet who doesn't know this, antifreeze is toxic to dogs and cats.

merlinmurph
10-27-2018, 02:07 PM
The police issued two warnings as other neighbors called, then a $250 fine was levied, which put an end to her relationship with the dog. Apparently her love for the dog had a $250 limit of pain.

I volunteer at our local shelter and you learn quickly that some people should not own dogs. I feel so sorry for some dogs I see that get no attention and are a bother to people.

I'm in the "talk to the neighbor" camp. Find an opportune time to talk with them and hopefully even meet the dog. You have to give them a chance before calling the town.

Just my 2 cents,
Murph

peanutgallery
10-27-2018, 02:16 PM
Sometimes it would just be better if a dog could drop its owner off at the animal shelter

I volunteer at our local shelter and you learn quickly that some people should not own dogs. I feel so sorry for some dogs I see that get no attention and are a bother to people.

gemship
10-27-2018, 02:18 PM
PSA: For the one person on the planet who doesn't know this, antifreeze is toxic to dogs and cats.

That was pretty much the point and I knew it would just get a rise.:p It was suggested to me by a neighbor who owned a dog when I talked/whined to him about another neighbors aggressive dog that would run, bark and attempt to bite me as I bicycled by his turf. However my karma thing wouldn't let me do it. My turf long before his but thats going way back. I dunno peeps gotta find a way to coexist and all kidding aside goofy OT threads asking for help deserve what they get, silly answers. When it was suggested to me it seemed funny in a odd way especially coming from a dog owner and for years I just waited to share that. Again all kidding aside I would seriously recommend talking about these matters elsewhere as this isn't the place. File a complaint with the police because if the dog bites or doesn't then at least there's established history. Honestly though the OP's post count isn't high enough to start silly threads that don't relate to cycling so there's that.....ok I wasted enough bandwidth on a rainy day.

OtayBW
10-27-2018, 04:26 PM
Be grown up, buy a welcome package - beer, cookies, and a barking collar...
Muzzle! :eek: :rolleyes:

m4rk540
10-27-2018, 05:22 PM
This hits close to home.

My neighbors are not unstable, potentially violent criminals. They are school administrators, owners of two lovely golden retrievers and parents to two well-raised, respectful teenagers. They also own a lovely home with a beautiful backyard and a trellised gazebo. In fact, the backyard is so nice and manicured that their dogs are not allowed in the area; they're confined to paved dog run and driveway on the southern exposure of the property. Unfortunately my bedroom window is adjacent. As the dogs are outdoor pets and never walked or given any attention, they're highly territorial and excitable. They bark day and night. Miraculously, I tolerated the barking for years. Other neighbors did not. But multiple calls to the police didn't change the situation. It wasn't until this summer that 3 or 4 neighbors noticed that the dogs were without shade on the hottest weekend of the year. It reached 115 and the area around the dogs was so hot that they weren't able to walk to the spot in the driveway where they normally handle their business (and where poop collects and has caused fly infestations...another story). So, we coordinated and reported the owners as negligent. Animal control came by a few times and finally after nearly a decade the dogs are allowed in the backyard to run (and poop) in the grass. They still have barking fits but the fly situation has improved.

They're barking as I type this.

charliedid
10-27-2018, 06:47 PM
This...

And this...

And also this....

I do not want to get into a confrontational situation with my neighbors. I just found out from another neighbor that their extended family has a history of run-ins with the law (drugs, theft). Not saying these people are the same, cause they seem OK besides the dog issue, but don't want to put myself or family in a place where we find out. This new detail add another wrinkle to the situation. My concern stems from a situation with a previous troublesome neighbor before we moved to Texas. Luckily, our rental house lease was almost up, so we moved shortly and it was over. Don't want to go down that road again.

However, agree that as a first choice talking to the owner(s) makes the most sense, in an effort to be mature about it. I'll give it a little while, and if no improvement, probably will try this and hope for the best. Might have the wife take over a plate of fresh-baked cookies. Maybe friendliness will be a good starter.

LOL send your wife over :eek:

zmudshark
10-27-2018, 06:55 PM
This hits close to home.

My neighbors are not unstable, potentially violent criminals. They are school administrators, owners of two lovely golden retrievers and parents to two well-raised, respectful teenagers. They also own a lovely home with a beautiful backyard and a trellised gazebo. In fact, the backyard is so nice and manicured that their dogs are not allowed in the area; they're confined to paved dog run and driveway on the southern exposure of the property. Unfortunately my bedroom window is adjacent. As the dogs are outdoor pets and never walked or given any attention, they're highly territorial and excitable. They bark day and night. Miraculously, I tolerated the barking for years. Other neighbors did not. But multiple calls to the police didn't change the situation. It wasn't until this summer that 3 or 4 neighbors noticed that the dogs were without shade on the hottest weekend of the year. It reached 115 and the area around the dogs was so hot that they weren't able to walk to the spot in the driveway where they normally handle their business (and where poop collects and has caused fly infestations...another story). So, we coordinated and reported the owners as negligent. Animal control came by a few times and finally after nearly a decade the dogs are allowed in the backyard to run (and poop) in the grass. They still have barking fits but the fly situation has improved.

They're barking as I type this.

Do you live in my AZ neighborhood?

YoKev
10-28-2018, 04:27 AM
Some of my neighbors (city lots, so about 20 houses) are (potentially) unstable, potentially violent criminals. They are not school administrators and owners of lovely golden retrievers. Their lives seem to be a constant struggle. Their slumlords rent the s-holes out to them, and the tenants pay because it's what they can afford. I get it to an extent, I (think I) really do...that's why I live here too. That being said, some of my neighbors are hard working, lovely people. We're all in this together I guess.

Anyhow, I own a really well maintained, dare I say *cute* 1.5 story bungalow with a postage stamp size lawn out front. The neighborhood is making a turn around for the better, but now I am married, and my wife is living here with me.

I feel so guilty when the drama of the streets and years of my mental anguish push me over the edge and I flip out/meltdown. Damn, maybe I'm the unstable neighbor :)

While most days are pretty low key, I have put up with, and been a victim of so much **** over the past 11 years you have no idea. I did not grow up in a neighborhood like this.

Once the police department put an anonymous "tip" complaint form on their website, I do not hesitate to use it. Police response is in minutes. I do not call anymore because its a game of 20 questions and I end up feeling like the criminal.

So here's my take: My advice is to put a stop to this barking dog garbage ASAP. Wave to them in passing, if they return the gesture in some way/shape/form, there is your opening. Maybe they don't even like their reputedly criminal relatives, so I wouldn't go on hearsay.

If they're not friendly, I say let it rip. Call whomever you need to to get this done. It's totally worth your sanity.

binxnyrwarrsoul
10-28-2018, 06:02 AM
Sometimes it would just be better if a dog could drop its owner off at the animal shelter

Post of the year.

oldpotatoe
10-28-2018, 06:36 AM

Only if it were meant for the owner.:eek:
This isn't the dog's fault..the dog is being a dog, untrained, by the owner....

OtayBW
10-28-2018, 07:43 AM
HAR!! :hello:

Tommasini53
10-28-2018, 07:45 AM
Maybe they are dog sitting for a few weeks?

Otherwise if they are new dog owners they may just be clueless that a barking dog annoys neighbors. It may not be obvious to them just how far the sharpness of a dogs bark carries or how disturbing it can be to some people.

Either way, as a neighbor; I think you owe them the courtesy of letting them know in person that it’s an issue and give them a chance to respond and work it out before you involve the authorities.

Who knows; you may just make some new friends.

++1,
Politely bring up the problem. They may not even realize the barking sounds. We had a conflict resolution specialist visit our office for a class. Barking dogs were a good bit of their groups time. And most of the time the dog owner was unaware of the problem until neighbors brought it up. The trainer said, really that is all that was needed to solve the issue.

Red Tornado
10-28-2018, 08:18 AM

Wow, OK you got me on that one! Bad wording. Cookies were the wife's idea, and yes, we would go together to deliver. Until I know more about these people, she ain't going over there alone.

charliedid
10-28-2018, 09:14 AM
Wow, OK you got me on that one! Bad wording. Cookies were the wife's idea, and yes, we would go together to deliver. Until I know more about these people, she ain't going over there alone.

Haha just having fun. Maybe both go over and mention the “amazing vocal capabilities of your beautiful new dog” [emoji102][emoji15][emoji3][emoji190]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJM100
10-28-2018, 09:55 AM
I would not bring food or beverages - leave a hand written note requesting the neighbor to call you or (I think the better course) invite them to drop over to your place at their convenience to discuss the dog issue. If the neighbor is not responsive then you have a glimpse into that person's character.

Try to get them onto your turf to have the conversation as opposed to being on their property.

As an aside. if you don't have the confidence to approach your neighbor in a rational way to address the issue - move! It will only get worse and your quality of life will diminish. Life is too short.

54ny77
10-28-2018, 10:19 AM
OP: look online (Amazon, etc) for an ultrasonic device that goes off when dog barks. Get the most powerful one you can find. It can work great, depending on proximity to neighbor, and does no harm to the dog. It's just annoying and creates a pavlov response: bark = annoying noise. No bark = no annoying noise. That was my first choice when confronted with this situation some years ago. Neighbors a few doors down had a shepherd that was just out of control, poorly trained and confined. It was not the pups fault, it was it's stupid owners who didn't know how to own and care for a large animal in a small environment. NEVER saw them walk it, and instead confined it to a postage stamp backyard of a couple hundred square feet. So sad and so wrong for a beautiful animal.

By the way, dogs are wonderful, it's the owners that are usually ass&*^%!

Edit: something like this is what I'm referring to. https://m.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/dog-silencer-max.htm

kppolich
10-28-2018, 10:25 AM
If it were me, and I'm very glad it's not, I would:

Go over when the dog is barking at ~10pm and just give them a heads up that it has been making it hard to sleep. Maybe they will reveal more, but at least they will have a reminder that at night, the dog barking is a problem.

-KP

Red Tornado
10-28-2018, 12:49 PM
OP: look online (Amazon, etc) for an ultrasonic device that goes off when dog barks. Get the most powerful one you can find. It can work great, depending on proximity to neighbor, and does no harm to the dog. It's just annoying and creates a pavlov response: bark = annoying noise. No bark = no annoying noise. That was my first choice when confronted with this situation some years ago. Neighbors a few doors down had a shepherd that was just out of control, poorly trained and confined. It was not the pups fault, it was it's stupid owners who didn't know how to own and care for a large animal in a small environment. NEVER saw them walk it, and instead confined it to a postage stamp backyard of a couple hundred square feet. So sad and so wrong for a beautiful animal.

By the way, dogs are wonderful, it's the owners that are usually ass&*^%!

Edit: something like this is what I'm referring to. https://m.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/dog-silencer-max.htm
Not sure about the device you mention, or even a dog whistle, because we have a dog, too. Concerned about the effect on ours since she is not a night Barker. Inside dog too (my wife's fourth "child" lol).

Red Tornado
10-28-2018, 12:51 PM
Did make one discovery. The lady of the house (not sure if living together, married or common law) was gone and last night was first night back. Didnt hear a peep from the dog. She may be the one making sure dog is inside or stays quiet. Don't know for sure, just a theory for now.

54ny77
10-28-2018, 12:58 PM
Gotcha, I must've missed a post if you mentioned that. Then no, you don't want one of these. Because a good dog esp one that is trained will bark for a reason. You don't want to eliminate that training or instinct.

The neighbor shepherd is prob barking because it's lonely and poss. scared, not used to its new environment.

I grew up with Akitas and am very familiar with big dogs and how much work a big dog requires. It's not fair to a dog to be neglected.

Not sure about the device you mention, or even a dog whistle, because we have a dog, too. Concerned about the effect on ours since she is not a night Barker. Inside dog too (my wife's fourth "child" lol).

rwsaunders
10-28-2018, 01:14 PM
Did make one discovery. The lady of the house (not sure if living together, married or common law) was gone and last night was first night back. Didnt hear a peep from the dog. She may be the one making sure dog is inside or stays quiet. Don't know for sure, just a theory for now.

Maybe your neighbor is on Paceline and read your thread?

Hindmost
10-28-2018, 02:35 PM

This is too good to be true. Some have pointed out the disadvantage for well-behaved dogs. Anyone have experience with the device?

gemship
10-28-2018, 04:19 PM
Only if it were meant for the owner.:eek:
This isn't the dog's fault..the dog is being a dog, untrained, by the owner....

I know, true that. When what I said is prosed a certain way, preferrably a proper conversation in reality it sounds more funny and harmless but I apologize as it isn't exactly PC. In this context it's more ruthless. The other thing I suggest is it's a buyer's market for real estate....probably just as ruthless. I hate to say people suck as I think about fences make good neighbors...fwiw there's nothing worse than the sound of neighbors leaf blowers and various other yard machines, generators. I hate it when we lose power where I live and my neighbors can't pick up a rake. So yep it's not the dogs fault but more mans. Oh well.

Red Tornado
10-28-2018, 04:48 PM
Maybe your neighbor is on Paceline and read your thread?

Oh I can assure you they're not Paceliners!
Wouldn't that be crazy though if it were true....

azrider
10-28-2018, 05:21 PM
$h*tty dog owners are the worst. I work from home on Wed’s and Fri’s and I am amazed at how many owners just leave their dogs to bark and be a nuisance while they’re gone. I’ve approached two houses on my steet and have walked away both times being “the jerk” cause I said something. One house is couple of “dinks” and the other an elderly woman who lives alone so thers no fear of retribution, but it can happen.....

My folks had a dog issue in their old neighborhood and the offenders were approached by a neighbor to politely “do something about their barking dog”.....two nights later their cars were vandalized by the teenage son of dog owners and it just got worse from there.

Save yourself the headache and go straight to animal control or police.

Birddog
10-28-2018, 05:27 PM
Timely thread, I have a next door neighbor that has 6 dogs. Two Gordon Setters that have been totally ignored for 12 years or so and 4 ankle biting misfits that spend most of their day trying to figure out new escape routes. If any one of the 5 neighbors that adjoin the fence come out to their back yard or even the two adjoining in the front, the barking starts. Sometimes it just starts for no apparent reason. The city ordinance states that only 4 dogs per family are allowed, but the 4 ankle biters are quasi rescue dogs that are in a foster status and thus supposedly exempt. The neighbors are nice enough, but are totally oblivious to the nuisance they have created.

I've looked into some anti barking devices that you put in your yard that send out an inaudible (to humans) sound that supposedly stops the dogs from barking. Does anybody have any first hand knowledge of such devices and if they work? I wanna hear my wife snoring again.