PDA

View Full Version : Torx

Waldo
10-26-2018, 09:09 AM
I effing hate them. I have more than enough Allens in all sizes, including a 3.5 for Campy Deltas, but never the right dorx (sic)...

oldpotatoe
10-26-2018, 09:12 AM
I effing hate them. I have more than enough Allens, but never the right dorx (sic)...

Really? Actually a good idea for the plethora of soft, aluminum bolts found these days on stuff that are entered into the 'WW' wars...

FlashUNC
10-26-2018, 09:37 AM
I've got a couple sets if you need to borrow any.

AngryScientist
10-26-2018, 09:39 AM
really?

which components are you checking out?

i find T25 is used a ton these days in bike kit, but rarely see any other torx sized widely in use??

alancw3
10-26-2018, 09:52 AM
yeah i think torx is a useful tool. i think it was invented to provide a better alternative to a phillips head screwdriver. or maybe just another way manufacturers wanted to have a proprietary tool to force people to use a service person. there is now a third metric to this. it is a short face head phillips. i don't remember the name but will find out. it is like a short depth phillips head.

Gummee
10-26-2018, 09:58 AM
Don't forget the security torx bolts that you need a tool with the middle hollowed out to unfasten

Not seen on too many bikes, but other places? sure

M

cderalow
10-26-2018, 10:02 AM
really?

which components are you checking out?

i find T25 is used a ton these days in bike kit, but rarely see any other torx sized widely in use??

T25 and T10 and T30 are the three I always seem to see on bikes.

T25 being most things (stem bolts, 6-bolt rotors), T10 for hydraulic brakes and a t30 on some FSA crankset at some point.

I've got the park tws-3 and it covers the majority of times I've ever needed torx.

kppolich
10-26-2018, 10:07 AM
Agreed on the 3 way park tool, works for almost everything although it is difficult to get into some places.

T25 has been a welcomed change IMO from 5mm/6mm hex heads that round out.

https://dbyvw4eroffpi.cloudfront.net/product-media/3QC/532/532/Park-Tool-TWS3-3-way-Torx-Wrench.jpg

choke
10-26-2018, 10:14 AM
You're not alone, I hate them too. I have plenty of different size Torx so that's not the problem...I find that they're easier to strip than an allen. Often the bit feels like it's all the way in but it's not and as soon as you start to apply pressure the 'stars' start to bend.

I don't have much bike stuff with Torx and what little I do have I've replaced with allens whenever possible.

Waldo
10-26-2018, 10:22 AM
Agreed on the 3 way park tool, works for almost everything although it is difficult to get into some places.

https://dbyvw4eroffpi.cloudfront.net/product-media/3QC/532/532/Park-Tool-TWS3-3-way-Torx-Wrench.jpg

I have a stem (!) that fits none of my Y-shapes torx key.

Waldo
10-26-2018, 10:22 AM

I have a stem (!) whose bolts fit none of my Y-shaped torx keys.

Gsinill
10-26-2018, 10:23 AM
You're not alone, I hate them too. I have plenty of different size Torx so that's not the problem...I find that they're easier to strip than an allen. Often the bit feels like it's all the way in but it's not and as soon as you start to apply pressure the 'stars' start to bend.

I don't have much bike stuff with Torx and what little I do have I've replaced with allens whenever possible.

Add another hater to the list.
I have 2 complete sets of them but in my opinion there is ZERO advantage over Allen (Hex).

cderalow
10-26-2018, 10:23 AM

Funny... mine is green.

cmg
10-26-2018, 10:30 AM
i hate them to but fortunately Harbor Freight carries a few cheap sets so you don't have to buy the more expensive bike specific ones.

Lewis Moon
10-26-2018, 10:32 AM
I hate them too. I understand the whole soft aluminum bolt thingie, but I would rather they just use stainless and be done with it.

Waldo
10-26-2018, 11:15 AM
This sucker better worx.....

Ozz
10-26-2018, 11:33 AM
yeah i think torx is a useful tool. i think it was invented to provide a better alternative to a phillips head screwdriver. or maybe just another way manufacturers wanted to have a proprietary tool to force people to use a service person. there is now a third metric to this. it is a short face head phillips. i don't remember the name but will find out. it is like a short depth phillips head.

Invented as a solution for automated drivers:

First developed in 1967 by Camcar Textron and patented in 1971, the Torx bit was designed to complement a new wave of more accurate torque-limiting machinery. Prior to this, automatic screwdrivers relied on the sloping walls of Phillips screws to cam out when they reached their torque limit—a compromise that meant a little extra wear on the screw and driver to save both from breaking due to over-torquing.

However, with the advent of more precise machinery, this camming wasn’t required—and a bit with more solid contact could be used. As the Torx name suggests, the absence of tapered side walls and a much larger contact surface on the Torx bit allowed machines to torque fasteners up to their mechanical limits without slipping or camming out.

Waldo
10-26-2018, 01:15 PM
The times I've used torx for Campy shifters and various stems I didn't find it any better than Allens. That and my "driver" is far from automated, adding to frustration.

Invented as a solution for automated drivers:

First developed in 1967 by Camcar Textron and patented in 1971, the Torx bit was designed to complement a new wave of more accurate torque-limiting machinery. Prior to this, automatic screwdrivers relied on the sloping walls of Phillips screws to cam out when they reached their torque limit—a compromise that meant a little extra wear on the screw and driver to save both from breaking due to over-torquing.

However, with the advent of more precise machinery, this camming wasn’t required—and a bit with more solid contact could be used. As the Torx name suggests, the absence of tapered side walls and a much larger contact surface on the Torx bit allowed machines to torque fasteners up to their mechanical limits without slipping or camming out.

seahuston
10-26-2018, 01:27 PM
With Torx on all the fancy light aluminum bolts these days you MUST get a high quality torx set. One thing I've found with Torx is that the cheaper drivers don't fit nearly as tightly or evenly as they should which just rounds things out. With a high quality set, I don't have this problem and have come to like torx.

I'm a Wiha fan myself and love their bit selector sets:
https://www.wihatools.com/torxr-bit-selector-set-with-universal-magnetic-bit-holder
https://media.wihatools.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1200x1000/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/7/9/79242.jpg

Related: get a really nice allen set as well. There aren't a ton of tools necessary for working on a bike, it's worth it to get stuff that won't cause any damage.

Waldo
10-26-2018, 03:18 PM
^^^ That looks like an awesome excuse for tool shopping

zzy
10-26-2018, 04:13 PM
I've had more torx screws strip out on me than allen bolts.

Death to Alu and Ti bolts. SS forever.

Waldo
10-27-2018, 12:51 AM
So, the green multi-tool torx key worked, but the key-bolt engagement felt loose, again leaving me to wonder why the eff a stem would need these.

unterhausen
10-27-2018, 09:01 AM
I have noticed a lot of construction screws are coming with torx heads now. It works. The alternatives aren't that great, and I suppose torx would be less annoying if I had 10 sets of high quality drivers distributed among my tool boxes like I do with phillips and hex.

BdaGhisallo
10-27-2018, 09:19 AM
I have noticed a lot of construction screws are coming with torx heads now. It works. The alternatives aren't that great, and I suppose torx would be less annoying if I had 10 sets of high quality drivers distributed among my tool boxes like I do with phillips and hex.

I think overall: hex > torx > pozidrive > phillips.

unterhausen
10-27-2018, 09:40 AM
I can't really disagree with that ranking, hex seems to work really well if the fastener supplier can get their act together.

I just went down the rabbit hole of looking at Wera and Wiha torx drivers and added about $300 worth of tools to my wish list at amazon

BdaGhisallo
10-27-2018, 09:52 AM
I can't really disagree with that ranking, hex seems to work really well if the fastener supplier can get their act together.

I just went down the rabbit hole of looking at Wera and Wiha torx drivers and added about $300 worth of tools to my wish list at amazon

Wera makes some great tools. I just updated my hex tool selection with Wera Hex Plus T handles and a bunch of Hex Plus 1/4" bits and ratchets. Great stuff and the Hex Plus interface is a great improvement over normal everyday hex drivers.

Check out KC Tool for an awesome selection of both brands and others.

Ozz
10-27-2018, 01:21 PM
...I just went down the rabbit hole of looking at Wera and Wiha torx drivers and added about $300 worth of tools to my wish list at amazon
There was a pretty cool set of Wiha torque drivers that I added to my list!:beer:

unterhausen
10-27-2018, 02:02 PM
my favorite t-handles are Wiha. For everything else, I like Wera better. Just noticed Wiha has the same "dual drive" style in torx https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-36497-T-Handle-Cushioned-Driver/dp/B002S0O8BM/ref=pd_sbs_469_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B002S0O8BM&pd_rd_r=bc8c349e-da1a-11e8-ab2d-810914121f6a&pd_rd_w=RGf9i&pd_rd_wg=QSuOK&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=7d5d9c3c-5e01-44ac-97fd-261afd40b865&pf_rd_r=HRM7AEA11ZJK1V872R8J&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=HRM7AEA11ZJK1V872R8J

gemship
10-27-2018, 02:26 PM
If you think torx suck on bicycles then hows about torx fasteners for brake calipers attached to their respective carriers regarding a certain 2002 gmc sierra truck? Oh man talk about a good way to throw good money at bad. Probably nice if the truck lives in a dry arid climate but when parts become rust welded not so much.