PDA

View Full Version : Saddlebag for... Laptop?

instantturtle
10-26-2018, 12:25 AM
Maybe this is a strange question but has anyone had experience using a saddle bag to hold a laptop - specifically MacBook Air?

I’ve looked at Sackvilles from Rivendell but they don’t make the small size anymore that would’ve fit and their current offerings are bigger than I need.

I almost think a Timbuk2 Sonoma saddlebag might work (shoving it diagonally) but don’t have a store near me with one to try out.

I’m seeing if this is even viable as I’m getting tired of commuting with a backpack but wanted to see if this even existed or was feasible before going panniers. With all the new bikepacking gear, MAYBE someone made something like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moonhoo
10-26-2018, 05:21 AM
Carradice, and swift industries. Plenty of options from them. Totally viable as I used to do it.

Maybe this is a strange question but has anyone had experience using a saddle bag to hold a laptop - specifically MacBook Air?

I’ve looked at Sackvilles from Rivendell but they don’t make the small size anymore that would’ve fit and their current offerings are bigger than I need.

I almost think a Timbuk2 Sonoma saddlebag might work (shoving it diagonally) but don’t have a store near me with one to try out.

I’m seeing if this is even viable as I’m getting tired of commuting with a backpack but wanted to see if this even existed or was feasible before going panniers. With all the new bikepacking gear, MAYBE someone made something like this.

Ken Robb
10-26-2018, 11:32 AM
What dimensions would you need?

jr59
10-26-2018, 12:25 PM
Carradice, and swift industries. Plenty of options from them. Totally viable as I used to do it.

Caradice, is what I used, I would also look at dill pickle too

mktng
10-26-2018, 01:04 PM
get a cetma half rack.
strap stuff to the front of your bike.
nice to be able to see your $1200 equipment while riding.
youre also not bound to a cycling specific bag.

instantturtle
10-26-2018, 07:38 PM
What dimensions would you need?

MacBook Air - about 13” x 9”.

Thanks for all the suggestions - gonna check out those bags!

Ken Robb
10-26-2018, 10:08 PM
MacBook Air - about 13” x 9”.

Thanks for all the suggestions - gonna check out those bags!

I think I have a Carradice that size.

instantturtle
10-27-2018, 01:20 PM
I think I have a Carradice that size.

Do you have pictures? I’d love to see what it actually looks like in use (versus what it I’m imagining it’d look like). Thanks!

Ken Robb
10-27-2018, 02:34 PM
Do you have pictures? I’d love to see what it actually looks like in use (versus what it I’m imagining it’d look like). Thanks!

Let me check it for size before I take pix.

Geeheeb
10-27-2018, 02:45 PM
I use a Carradice Super-C with the SQR (quick release). Fits my laptops okay, which are just a tad too large for my Wald bag. The Super-C series might not look as cool as the longflap camper but its much easier/faster than the buckles.

Kinda ugly to leave the block on the seatpost, but it works really really well and is just about as fast on/off as possible.

Here it is on my commuter: https://photos.app.goo.gl/jVhXt9Q41GYjTddJ7

jr59
10-27-2018, 02:54 PM
Here you go.

Hope this helps

Ken Robb
10-27-2018, 02:59 PM
I have an Original Cadet in Black. You can check all the info and pix on Carradice website. I measured mine as 13.5 x 8 plus. The bottom is soft and so is the lid so that measurement is variable. I just put my Macbook Pro with 13" screen in the bag and there was plenty of room for a windbreaker, tubes, etc. I took a couple of pix that I can email to you if you are interested. $40 plus actual shipping unless you want to ride down the coast and pick it up. :)

jr59
10-27-2018, 03:06 PM
Here you go.

Hope this helps

Forgot, this is a full 15 in MacBook Pro

adamhell
10-27-2018, 03:13 PM
makeshifter outback!

Ken Robb
10-27-2018, 03:41 PM
I think the neat pix above show a Nelson model. I have one of those too. That model is like a Cadet with a side pocket added on both sides. I'd sell my Nelson Longflap for $50 plus shipping. The extra pockets are handy to hold stuff you want to be easily accessible like a phone, wallet, camera, etc.

jr59
10-27-2018, 03:50 PM
I think the neat pix above show a Nelson model. I have one of those too. That model is like a Cadet with a side pocket added on both sides. I'd sell my Nelson Longflap for $50 plus shipping. The extra pockets are handy to hold stuff you want to be easily accessible like a phone, wallet, camera, etc.

If it meets your needs, buy it. That’s a deal

Geeheeb
10-27-2018, 04:31 PM
the nelson will fit on a lot of handlebars too.

froze
10-27-2018, 04:33 PM
Why not consider a waterproof courier bag that you would sling over your shoulder? Or a waterproof backpack? You can also get a slim pannier made just for laptops and attach it to the side of the bike even if you don't have rack connections by using tortec P-Clips, or Tubus adapter set for quick release rack mounting system; then get a cheap rack; they also make a rack that has quick release attachments, see: https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Universal-Adjustable-Accessories-Reflector/dp/B07C651714?pd_rd_i=B07C651714&pd_rd_r=19e1710a-0afe-44da-b2bb-37adc5f9269e&pd_rd_w=ncAe5&pd_rd_wg=4b6oC&pf_rd_i=null&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=be4e4b33-ff1d-476e-a827-fb55b7c4763f&pf_rd_r=NQANNTYMYZTSX0FRYZ21&pf_rd_s=loom-desktop-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&qid=1540675714&s=Sports+%26+Outdoors&ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvpv2
I wouldn't expect that rack to hold anywhere near 110 pounds but it will hold a laptop and other lightweight stuff easily. Then attach this: https://www.arkel-od.com/en/commuting-bike-bag.html. This bag is expensive but it's water resistant, however with anything claiming water resistance it's wise to put the laptop in a waterproof bag of some sort before putting it in the pannier just to be safe.

instantturtle
10-28-2018, 10:44 PM
Why not consider a waterproof courier bag that you would sling over your shoulder? Or a waterproof backpack? You can also get a slim pannier made just for laptops and attach it to the side of the bike even if you don't have rack connections by using tortec P-Clips, or Tubus adapter set for quick release rack mounting system; then get a cheap rack; they also make a rack that has quick release attachments, see: https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Universal-Adjustable-Accessories-Reflector/dp/B07C651714?pd_rd_i=B07C651714&pd_rd_r=19e1710a-0afe-44da-b2bb-37adc5f9269e&pd_rd_w=ncAe5&pd_rd_wg=4b6oC&pf_rd_i=null&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=be4e4b33-ff1d-476e-a827-fb55b7c4763f&pf_rd_r=NQANNTYMYZTSX0FRYZ21&pf_rd_s=loom-desktop-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&qid=1540675714&s=Sports+%26+Outdoors&ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvpv2

I wouldn't expect that rack to hold anywhere near 110 pounds but it will hold a laptop and other lightweight stuff easily. Then attach this: https://www.arkel-od.com/en/commuting-bike-bag.html. This bag is expensive but it's water resistant, however with anything claiming water resistance it's wise to put the laptop in a waterproof bag of some sort before putting it in the pannier just to be safe.

I already have a commuter backpack (Timbuk2 Especial) but on warmer days I hate having something on my back.

The pannier was a potential Plan C if the saddlebag idea didn’t work though - interesting bike rack!

I saw some old articles on the Salsa Minimalist rack but I see it got discontinued and recalled...!

instantturtle
10-28-2018, 10:45 PM

I’ll PM!

froze
10-29-2018, 07:55 PM
I already have a commuter backpack (Timbuk2 Especial) but on warmer days I hate having something on my back.

The pannier was a potential Plan C if the saddlebag idea didn’t work though - interesting bike rack!

I saw some old articles on the Salsa Minimalist rack but I see it got discontinued and recalled...!

If you go the pannier route make sure you find out if there is a rain cover available and buy it, again it's added protection like putting the laptop in a waterproof bag then into the pannier, it's all about protecting an expensive laptop from any moisture at all from destroying it.