PDA

View Full Version : Good, durable and smooth rim set for commuting

s4life
10-25-2018, 09:54 PM
I have a set of new white tune 20/24 mig/mag hubs -- the redesigned model with the thicker axle. Really light and awesome looking. Thinking of pairing it to a set of rims for a daily commuter, but I am having trouble finding a good match as carbon rims seem to be the only sensible choice. Any experience with this setup for a commuter? going carbon rims + 28/30mm tires would an option I suppose if I wanted a smooth ride, any other choices, alloy rims?

rheosibal
10-25-2018, 10:03 PM
For alloy, I'd recommend Hed Belgiums, Easton R90s, or Pacenti Forzas.

All available in 20/24

Tony
10-25-2018, 11:00 PM
For alloy consider Boyd, great rims and customer service. The Altamont lite ceramic coated would match up nice with those white Tune hubs.

https://www.boydcycling.com/shop/custom-builds/rims/altamont-lite-ceramic-coated-rim/

s4life
10-25-2018, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the replies,
Haven't used Boyds before, but those would look really nice w the tunes, great tip!.
Should I expect any problems with the (relatively) low spoke count, if I go the alloy route?

Tony
10-26-2018, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the replies,
Haven't used Boyds before, but those would look really nice w the tunes, great tip!.
Should I expect any problems with the (relatively) low spoke count, if I go the alloy route?

Several wheel builders here that can better answer your question.
I have the same hubs (black Tune 20/24 mig/mag) laced to Boyd Altamont lite rims. I weigh 165 and have zero problems, solid wheelset.

Peter P.
10-26-2018, 05:02 AM
I've used Mavic rims on my commuter bikes for decades. They build up easy and are durable. Mavic has always offered this level of rim with merely a name change.

The current models are the A719, A319, Open Elite, and A119.

I think carbon rims are too expensive to be used on a commuter bike.

Peter P.
10-26-2018, 06:22 AM
I've used Mavic rims on my commuter bikes for decades. They build up easy and are durable. Mavic has always offered this level of rim with merely a name change.

I think carbon rims are too expensive to be used on a commuter bike, a bike which will be subject to abuse.

AngryScientist
10-26-2018, 06:36 AM
how much does the OP weigh, and is there anything going to be carried on this commuter bike?

the spoke count itself is not necessarily a problem, but it could be depending on the rim and spokes chosen, also depending on the weight and riding conditions.

oldpotatoe
10-26-2018, 07:24 AM
I have a set of new white tune 20/24 mig/mag hubs -- the redesigned model with the thicker axle. Really light and awesome looking. Thinking of pairing it to a set of rims for a daily commuter, but I am having trouble finding a good match as carbon rims seem to be the only sensible choice. Any experience with this setup for a commuter? going carbon rims + 28/30mm tires would an option I suppose if I wanted a smooth ride, any other choices, alloy rims?

??

DT511, Velocity Deep V..I can even get DT585 in 20/24

Depending on you and the weight of the loaded bike..stout enough rims, built well with stout enough spokes(like Sapim Force or Strong)..'could' be fine.

oldpotatoe
10-26-2018, 07:24 AM

I think carbon rims are too expensive to be used on a commuter bike.

No 20/24h tho..

uber
10-26-2018, 07:27 AM
Another vote for HED Belgium’s for an alloy If carbon is desired for cosmetics or weight, I have found Enve rims to be outstanding. The Enve warranty takes the fear of damaging a rim out of the equation for me. It would really come down to cost.

azrider
10-26-2018, 10:07 AM
Sell the hubs, buy these (http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=235_357&products_id=2649) , and you're good to go :confused::confused::confused:

yinzerniner
10-26-2018, 10:19 AM
Tune Mig Mags for a commuter is overkill IMHO. They are incredible hubs but exotic and expensive and the white color will get dirty in a matter of days if not hours.

DT460 laced to DT350 hubs and Sapim or DT 20/24 will get you a helluva strong and fast wheelset for not a lot of cake. Or a DIY set from BHS or BDop for even less money.

azrider
10-26-2018, 10:29 AM
Tune Mig Mags for a commuter is overkill IMHO. They are incredible hubs but exotic and expensive and the white color will get dirty in a matter of days if not hours.

THANK YOU

Man........we in here talkin 'bout commuting wheels......commuting..... NOT race wheels.....commuting wheels......commuting....not a set of race wheels...which these hubs would qualify as....but commuting....I mean....how silly is that......we talkin bout commuting wheels........commuting....we talking about commutin.....we ain't talking about a race......we talkin about commutin

Gummee
10-26-2018, 10:49 AM
THANK YOU

Man........we in here talkin 'bout commuting wheels......commuting..... NOT race wheels.....commuting wheels......commuting....not a set of race wheels...which these hubs would qualify as....but commuting....I mean....how silly is that......we talkin bout commuting wheels........commuting....we talking about commutin.....we ain't talking about a race......we talkin about commutinDepends on how you define 'commuting' nicht war?

My commute is a 45min road ride with maybe some drawers in a bag in a pocket. IOW 'just another ride.'

If your definition of 'commuting' is something different, well... different strokes for different folks

Having said that: I'll typically take off the Gucci wheels in the fall and toss on some Open Pro-style wheels that are 28/32 or 32/32. Ride the more durable wheels all winter, put the Gucci wheels back on in the spring

M

azrider
10-26-2018, 11:06 AM
Depends on how you define 'commuting' nicht war?

My commute is a 45min road ride with maybe some drawers in a bag in a pocket. IOW 'just another ride.'

If your definition of 'commuting' is something different, well... different strokes for different folks

Having said that: I'll typically take off the Gucci wheels in the fall and toss on some Open Pro-style wheels that are 28/32 or 32/32. Ride the more durable wheels all winter, put the Gucci wheels back on in the spring

M

I had a third cup of coffee and was just having fun.....but you're right, different strokes different fokes. Like you....I typically swap over to my heavier wheels in winter and leave the Carbon's for spring summer.

But as for commuting, my biggest objective is making it to work in timely fashion. I don't want to stop and change a tire in frigid 50 degree temps so I go 32H, alloy, with thorn resistant tubes and gatorskins. Are they heavy? You betcha. Do they get the job done? Damn straight. Could I be a few minutes faster and more comfy on dope wheel setup.....sure....but that isn't my main objective when commuting. YMMV.

velofinds
10-26-2018, 11:17 AM
THANK YOU

Man........we in here talkin 'bout commuting wheels......commuting..... NOT race wheels.....commuting wheels......commuting....not a set of race wheels...which these hubs would qualify as....but commuting....I mean....how silly is that......we talkin bout commuting wheels........commuting....we talking about commutin.....we ain't talking about a race......we talkin about commutin

https://media1.tenor.com/images/b1fd5c5f480e52a2e1dc8f16b2259bd7/tenor.gif

azrider
10-26-2018, 11:22 AM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/b1fd5c5f480e52a2e1dc8f16b2259bd7/tenor.gif

glad somebody got it

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/68/5d/63/685d63c091739c08df91fbc8375ae119.jpg

Bici-Sonora
10-26-2018, 11:35 AM
I've recently built up Pacenti Brevets on a couple of bikes and like them a lot. Light but not too light, classic looks, wide enough and tubeless ready. If you want silver...

Scott

m4rk540
10-26-2018, 04:29 PM
Lace them to Lightweights

s4life
10-26-2018, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the replies,
The white hubs match my steel frameset rather well, so I'll keep them. I think I have enough ideas for rims, probably going with alloy, ceramic ones.. my commute is going to be rather long and I would like to make it as enjoyable as possible.

Dekonick
10-27-2018, 12:04 AM
Sheesh - I happen to like Neutron/Protons or Open Pros w/32 or 28 spoke hubs... for that matter, Askium are fine. Skimpy wheels make me nervous... I just think what can happen at 50mph if a spoke goes... and suddenly no thanks...

Worked on far too many hip fractures... femurs sticking out... clavicles indented... I know it's irrational... I just can't ride wheels that don't have at least 24 spokes... Neutrons are about as light as I can bring myself to go...

Yep. What you call commuter wheels I call every day wheels.

s4life
10-27-2018, 10:43 AM
Thanks for you feedback.

Sheesh - I happen to like Neutron/Protons or Open Pros w/32 or 28 spoke hubs... for that matter, Askium are fine. Skimpy wheels make me nervous... I just think what can happen at 50mph if a spoke goes... and suddenly no thanks...

Worked on far too many hip fractures... femurs sticking out... clavicles indented... I know it's irrational... I just can't ride wheels that don't have at least 24 spokes... Neutrons are about as light as I can bring myself to go...

Yep. What you call commuter wheels I call every day wheels.

Black Dog
10-27-2018, 11:56 AM
Sell the hubs, buy these (http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=235_357&products_id=2649) , and you're good to go :confused::confused::confused:

That is a good deal, wow!!!

doomridesout
10-27-2018, 11:39 PM
Honestly I can see the logic in OP's hints about a carbon set because they'd be more reliable in that spoke count.

Change the question to, should I lace my Tune hubs to carbon or alloy wheels and you can see the answer could easily be carbon. Especially if that's an option given budget.

The other question is what's the commute like? Mine's a mostly rural road ride 25 miles each way, i.e. a regular ride, so I ride my carbon wheels. If you're riding into SF every day, get some alloy beater wheels that don't include Tune hubs.

verbs4us
10-28-2018, 04:36 PM
Have had good luck with White Ind T11's laced to H Plus Son Archetype alloy (470 gr). My 26-mile each-way commute is from leafy burbs into Manhattan, down the west side bike lane (which had fresh pavement 30 years ago), across the chewed up streets by Hudson Yards, some cobblestone streets, and into the Flatiron, where every other street is being roughed up for resurfacing. In the five years, I haven't even had to true the suckers. Built by Luxe wheelworks in Boston. Have chewed up hub bearings, but the rims are true.

s4life
11-01-2018, 12:48 PM
I commute from mountain view to palo alto using the shoreline/stevens creek bike trail.. it's a nice path, well maintained, the ride is pretty enjoyable and except for a couple of miles, an scenic ride without stops. I am almost set on the ceramic altamont lites on tune hubs, just deciding on the right spokes.

Thanks for your take on it
~A
Honestly I can see the logic in OP's hints about a carbon set because they'd be more reliable in that spoke count.

Change the question to, should I lace my Tune hubs to carbon or alloy wheels and you can see the answer could easily be carbon. Especially if that's an option given budget.

The other question is what's the commute like? Mine's a mostly rural road ride 25 miles each way, i.e. a regular ride, so I ride my carbon wheels. If you're riding into SF every day, get some alloy beater wheels that don't include Tune hubs.