Bentley
10-25-2018, 07:13 PM
a recumbent is good for excercise but does not count as a BIKE

😉😉

Cicli
10-25-2018, 07:34 PM
a recumbent is good for excercise but does not count as a BIKE

😉😉

You never know what people’s issues are. Maybe it’s what it takes so the rider can get out. To each their own. Enjoy the ride.

Bentley
10-25-2018, 07:39 PM
You never know what people’s issues are. Maybe it’s what it takes so the rider can get out. To each their own. Enjoy the ride.

This thread starts with a post talking about an interesting stem, how come no "love" for the original post? clearly there are issues and Im glad that the owner is getting "excercise".

best

Ray

buddybikes
10-25-2018, 07:52 PM
I knew people that regularly did centuries (hilly ones) on recumbent....and trikes are bikes in a way. Our local bike trail has an older couple, she has parkinsons, they ride very regularly. Perhaps I will end up in that direction if my back totally craps out on me.

pdmtong
10-26-2018, 12:10 AM
If you need it ride it. If is what it is. Once you get older it all makes sense

But structurally I’ve never seen this extreme

HTupolev
10-26-2018, 01:48 AM
I know a couple of guys who have Bacchetta stickbikes in addition to their traditional road bikes. Not because they need them, but to mix things up, and because they're ridiculously fast.

It makes for an interesting dynamic when they show up to spirited group rides on them. The pacelines end up considerably faster, but not necessarily any more difficult, because things are also calmer in terms of attacks.
You certainly learn to get low when you're behind those things... the draft pocket is not generous! (And second-in-line is frequently having to do more power than the recumbent at the front, heheh.)

kramnnim
10-26-2018, 06:50 AM
I thought this was going to be about Conan's bike...

http://cdn01.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/obrien-bike/conan-obrien-bike-05.jpg

unterhausen
10-26-2018, 07:52 AM
This thread starts with a post talking about an interesting stem, how come no "love" for the original post? clearly there are issues and Im glad that the owner is getting "excercise".

best

Ray

the "issues" involved in the bike in the OP is that the rider needs to be able to move their legs in order to power forward motion. Look at the position of the cranks vs. the position of the seat and tell me how you could pedal if the handlebars were lower. Handlebar position on a 'bent doesn't determine hip angle like it does on an upright, so this doesn't tell us about how fit or flexible the rider is.

oldpotatoe
10-26-2018, 08:09 AM
Worked on a couple of those when in the Vecchio's trenches..even warrantied one..so a strip and rebuild(lot$ of $)..took forever and yeh baby, 3 chains everytime it came in...and he insisted on DA chains..hardest part was figuring out how to get into the work stand...:eek:

pdmtong
10-26-2018, 10:21 AM
the "issues" involved in the bike in the OP is that the rider needs to be able to move their legs in order to power forward motion. Look at the position of the cranks vs. the position of the seat and tell me how you could pedal if the handlebars were lower. Handlebar position on a 'bent doesn't determine hip angle like it does on an upright, so this doesn't tell us about how fit or flexible the rider is.

bingo - I got it now. still, it seems there should be a way to better support the steerer. I wouldnt mind trying one of these things. like discs and electric, hard to judge until personally tried. I read somewhere once that if not for twist of fate, most bikes would be 'bent designs...or maybe I got that wrong

eddief
10-26-2018, 10:39 AM
there is next to zero weight on your hands on that bent and therefore no need for big support of the steerer. And that is one of the challenges of riding that kind of bike, especially while climbing. At 4 mph or less while you are spinning those pedals like a mofo, it is an exercise in balance to keep your hands very light on the bars, keep the front wheel centered, and keep from doing an Artie Johnson onto your butt. Owned 5 bents in my day, not today, and found each one, including the trike, both a blast and a challenge.

bingo - I got it now. still, it seems there should be a way to better support the steerer. I wouldnt mind trying one of these things. like discs and electric, hard to judge until personally tried. I read somewhere once that if not for twist of fate, most bikes would be 'bent designs...or maybe I got that wrong

unterhausen
10-26-2018, 10:49 AM
a friend rides one of these bikes (he posts here). He wiped out on a gravel ride once. Bent the stem, but the steerer and extensions were okay.

True temper made lightweight steel steerers that were very long. When I saw the thread title, I wondered if that's what this thread was about. I have a couple of forks made with them where I haven't cut the steerer yet, might post a pic later

dancinkozmo
10-26-2018, 08:31 PM
I thought this was going to be about Conan's bike...

http://cdn01.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/obrien-bike/conan-obrien-bike-05.jpg

Jeezus! he has got to be the whitest man on the planet !!

steamer
10-28-2018, 08:34 AM
Most of that riser is not steerer tube. The steerer extends several inches up into the riser but the riser goes much further as you can see. The riser is lightweight aluminum tube. That's what I bent once in a crash.

Here is a diagram that shows how this works. Although this diagram shows a curved riser with an intergral handlebar clamp, which is an older system. The bike in the OP has the newer multi-piece system that has a straight riser and a regular stem.

https://www.bacchettabikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/BFT-install-3.pdf

eddief
10-28-2018, 09:11 AM
https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-bikes/bikes/bike-friday-pocket-rocket-pro-folding-bike