PDA

View Full Version : Assos leg warmers

roadie7
10-25-2018, 01:49 PM
I splurged and bought Assos leg warmers after reading many great reviews. Quick frankly, they are no better than the PI ones they replaced. The Assos don't stay up on my legs any better than the PI. Both products fall down on one leg. They certainly are not warmer than the PI.

Is this a case of buying an overpriced and over hyped product or am I being too picky?

What has been your experience with the Assos leg warmers?

Thanks.

rnhood
10-25-2018, 01:58 PM
I don't have their leg warmers however, I do have their arm warmers and I rate them about the same as PI. Frankly, Assos is not worth the money. PI has some good products and are much more competitive in price. Specialized warmers are very good too.

FlashUNC
10-25-2018, 02:14 PM
You doing over the shorts or under?

roadie7
10-25-2018, 02:15 PM
I wear the leg warmers under my shorts.

fignon's barber
10-25-2018, 02:27 PM
I bought a pair of assos leg warmers a couple years ago. Returned them because they were baggy, and didn't seem as well made as my Santini.

ptourkin
10-25-2018, 02:35 PM
Was never that impressed with the Assos warmers' fit. Q36.5 got it right at that price point (high.)

Lionel
10-25-2018, 02:36 PM
Not a huge fan of Assos leg warmers, I have the S7. I tried a lot of leg warmers and settle on Rapha merino. These things are great.

ltwtsculler91
10-25-2018, 03:17 PM
I LOVE my S7 evo leg warmers. They fit and stay up much more consistently than my Gore or Capo without bunching behind the knees.

I find they work really well with Assos shorts or my Capo shorts with a larger gripper. If shorts don't have a grippy ending on the legs I've had the knee warmers move around..

Part of it is also likely due to me having relatively larger legs so they fill out and fit quite well.

madsciencenow
10-26-2018, 02:35 PM
Not a huge fan of Assos leg warmers, I have the S7. I tried a lot of leg warmers and settle on Rapha merino. These things are great.

+1 for the Rapha merino leg warmers and the arm warmers are also great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lionel
10-26-2018, 02:38 PM
+1 for the Rapha merino leg warmers and the arm warmers are also great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add the knee warmers to the list..... I have 2 or 3 sets of all of these now.

jghall
10-26-2018, 04:12 PM
I'd agree that this is one area where Assos does not really shine.

LJohnny
10-26-2018, 04:29 PM
Same thing with gloves, I find Assos winter gloves not to work well for me. Castelli winter gloves work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pinned
10-26-2018, 04:42 PM
I've tried a bunch of different warmers and the only ones that stay up / aren't annoying are the Rapha Merino. If only I could find a wet weather or true winter warmer that was as comfortable as those...

DarrinNYC
10-26-2018, 06:36 PM
I like PI arm and leg warmers, but Rapha's merino wool products are BY FAR my favorite! They come in a variety of sizes, and their merino wool is excellent quality. The balance of warmth, breathability, and moisture wicking is fantastic.

Regarding one of the OP's observations regarding Assos leg warmers slipping, that's where Rapha rises to the top: they use fantastic grippers.

A couple things about grippers in general. First, they don't grip hair very well. If you're a hairy person and/or don't shave your arms and legs, they will struggle. I'm a shaver, so the grippers work incredibly well. One thing you can do is use skin moisturizer about 15 minutes before you get dressed for your ride. That will help the grippers work more effectively.

Good luck!

Darrin

DarrinNYC
10-26-2018, 07:02 PM
double post

gone
10-26-2018, 09:16 PM
I can tell you where you can find a pair of Assos knee warmers on the side of the road although they've been there a few years.

They are absolutely the worst piece of cycling kit I've ever owned. Gravity must work differently in Assos-land because they were super tight on the bottom (and I don't have particularly large calves) and did nothing but slide down on the top.

Mid-ride I couldn't stand them anymore, stopped, pulled them off and tossed them.

I've never been so happy to throw away $50 in my life.

Absolute crap.

Love their bibs though.

savechief
10-27-2018, 01:22 AM
I'll add another endorsement for Rapha merino arm/knee/leg warmers. I had the Assos S7 arm and knee warmers, but they never worked as well as the Rapha. The arm warmers were too short, and the knee warmers were not compressive enough and became annoying during a ride.

Rapha is thinner, warmer and stay in place.