PDA

View Full Version : Why I prefer the PL classifieds

rwsaunders
10-25-2018, 08:45 AM
Recent correspondence when looking to buy a set of pedals from a local. Should be simple, right?

AD
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bop/d/new-out-of-box-shimano-pd/6729717237.html
New Out Of Box Shimano PD-M324 Touring SPD/Platform Pedal Set
pittsburgh.craigslist.org

Here's a new set of Shimano's popular, great looking and bombproof PD M-324 pedals. These multi-tasking pedals have a smooth platform on one side to enable use with ordinary footwear or flip 'em to...

<583a5fa1ca9e3ef78c9595aed92c81cd@reply.craigslist. org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 11:27 PM
To: mwj8c-6729717237@sale.craigslist.org
Subject: New Out Of Box Shimano PD-M324 Touring SPD/Platform Pedal Set

I’m assuming that the cleats are included?
Thanks

Seller Response:
On Oct 25, 2018, at 6:33 AM, craigslist 6729717237 <mwj8c-6729717237@sale.craigslist.org> wrote:

I think most would find such an assumption surprising, since no
mention is made of them and none appear in the images.

However, since you phrased your remark as a question, I'd have to reply I have no idea what you're assuming.

My best guess is this is a prelude to seeking a lower price (which is not going to happen). Regrets,

-JPN

Response me:

I asked as you indicated that they are new and out of the box. Shimano sells their pedals with cleats so it’s a pretty good assumption that if they are new and out of the box, the cleats are part of the deal. If not, I’ll pass.

Thanks

drewskey
10-25-2018, 08:48 AM
Freshman philosophy student selling these based on that response...

redir
10-25-2018, 08:49 AM
You are much kinder person then me :D

But in all fairness when you try and sell something on CL you get a lot of BS. So ya never know.

gospastic
10-25-2018, 08:55 AM
Weird correspondence aside, I really like these pedals! They are indeed great for commuting.

zlin
10-25-2018, 08:57 AM
ha,'rolls eyes'

I have a pair of those (and probably some older cleats) if you're looking for a set! pm me and I'll dig them up when I get home.

echappist
10-25-2018, 08:57 AM
Don’t think i’ve had any bad transaction here. Fingers crossed, but people appear to be more curteous here. Both craigslist and slowtwitch are filled with low-ballers and rude people. Had one guy try to low ball me on a Shimano hub wheelset by pointing to price of Campu hub wheelset (Shimano hun wheelsets not available on the site), which was still $40 more than what i was charging and from out of the country. I lowered my asking price by $20 (which would be $80 less than the cheapest Shimano hub wheelset), and havent heard back since. People seem to be more interested in pulling a fast one and seeing if smeone would accept their lowball offers than asking if the asking price is a good deal compared to the next best option.

AngryScientist
10-25-2018, 08:58 AM
Lol.

CL is a playground for jack assery.

Pedals are child’s play. Try buying/selling a cheap truck on craigs- it’s still a good avenue; but man; what a hassle

DuddyJ
10-25-2018, 08:58 AM
Its cheaper just to buy them new on nashbar.... Some people on CL are idiots.

thermalattorney
10-25-2018, 09:19 AM
On a related note: OP have you considered the PD-T8000 touring pedals? While more expensive at $85, they're the far superior pedal: wider platform with replaceable pins for way better grip, lower stack height and lighter weight.

pjbaz
10-25-2018, 09:42 AM
Try buying/selling a cheap truck on craigs- it’s still a good avenue; but man; what a hassle

TRUTH! And FB marketplace is even worse. Tried selling my '00 Xterra - running and driving 4x4 - for $500 and couldn't get a deal done. Insane.

93KgBike
10-25-2018, 09:44 AM
I haven't used craigslist for selling in more than a decade, because some Travis Bickle-like characters always showed up only to get freaky and not buy whatever I was selling.

Once had a woman show up irate that she couldn't find my address on her ride over, who called back later and left an irate follow-up voice mail. I was selling a pannier rack and shopping baskets for $25. The same weekend a guy drove all the way from the East Bay, bought them and could not have been more gracious.

Don't forget to vote.

pdmtong
10-25-2018, 10:09 AM
The whole exchange is too indirect and opens the response to become anything

I would have just asked

Are the cleats included ?

Then you get a yes or no. Period. Simple

NewDFWrider
10-25-2018, 10:32 AM
Life is too short for craigslist (despite the fact that I love finding a good deal).

FWIW, others (millennials, in non-cycling contexts) have recommended Five Mile over Craiglist to buy/sell stuff, though I have been too lazy to check it out.

unterhausen
10-25-2018, 10:47 AM
Try buying/selling a cheap truck on craigs- it’s still a good avenue; but man; what a hassle
I tried selling a pretty decent utility van for cheap on CL. Never really got any serious inquiries, or if they were I didn't understand the emails. Not sure if it was listed too cheap or what, but I just wanted to get out from under the property tax. Ended up throwing it in when we sold my mom's business. Gave away another one of her vehicles.

Dougb
10-25-2018, 11:07 AM
I’ve actually had good luck selling all sorts of things on CL. Where it really gets crazy is when you post things for free on there. I’ve got all sorts of bizarre and downright rude inquiries.

pdmtong
10-25-2018, 12:43 PM
Local SFBA CL used to be awesome but it's changed a lot in the past years, for the worse

what used to be an easily searched 2-3 pages of postings per day is now more like 10-15+ pages per day. no more browsing to find things you didnt know you needed. now you really need to search using key words and know what you want ahead of time

I do like that the emails have become anonymous now.

Maybe stupid me, but back then it would be easy enough to meet bike part buyers at my house. actually met a lot of really neat people that way. but no way now a days.

for sure you can gauge flake or not based on the type of interaction. hey, pick up the phone! last transaction I had a guy drove over from santa cruz to buy my wheels. we talked on the phone a few times so I was sure he would show up and buy and he was sure he was getting what he thought he was getting.

I have only had one buying and one selling issue here on PL. the buying issue was small, and I just let it go. the selling issue was the package got misplaced upon delivery. communication is the key...but PL is great for bike stuff both small and large

Jaybee
10-25-2018, 01:02 PM
Local SFBA CL used to be awesome but it's changed a lot in the past years, for the worse

what used to be an easily searched 2-3 pages of postings per day is now more like 10-15+ pages per day. no more browsing to find things you didnt know you needed. now you really need to search using key words and know what you want ahead of time

I do like that the emails have become anonymous now.

Maybe stupid me, but back then it would be easy enough to meet bike part buyers at my house. actually met a lot of really neat people that way. but no way now a days.

for sure you can gauge flake or not based on the type of interaction. hey, pick up the phone! last transaction I had a guy drove over from santa cruz to buy my wheels. we talked on the phone a few times so I was sure he would show up and buy and he was sure he was getting what he thought he was getting.

I have only had one buying and one selling issue here on PL. the buying issue was small, and I just let it go. the selling issue was the package got misplaced upon delivery. communication is the key...but PL is great for bike stuff both small and large

I don't think Denver's CL is quite as active, but most of the bike part section is the same guy posting the same WalMart/low-end or older parts every single day. Seriously, no one needs the bottle cages you pulled off a 1994 Ross for $5. I'm pretty sure half the stuff is stolen. I agree that it's more of a "know what you are looking for" situation now than a browsing one.

Dougb
10-25-2018, 06:19 PM
One thing I think is notable about Paceline -- and I wish other sites did this -- is the requirement that you actually have at least 30 posts in other areas of the board before you can post in the classifieds. Now I wish the mods would implement the rule that some other sites have that you sign off with your name and area. Makes things more civil!

Doug Bloch
Alameda CA USA

echappist
10-25-2018, 06:26 PM
One thing I think is notable about Paceline -- and I wish other sites did this -- is the requirement that you actually have at least 30 posts in other areas of the board before you can post in the classifieds. Now I wish the mods would implement the rule that some other sites have that you sign off with your name and area. Makes things more civil!

Doug Bloch
Alameda CA USA

better yet, make it 30 posts plus 90 days.

sailorboy
10-25-2018, 08:38 PM
Wow Bob, I've had some odd experiences with craigslist, but that is really out there...you were nicer than I wouldve been

mhespenheide
10-25-2018, 09:09 PM
I don't think Denver's CL is quite as active, but most of the bike part section is the same guy posting the same WalMart/low-end or older parts every single day. Seriously, no one needs the bottle cages you pulled off a 1994 Ross for $5. I'm pretty sure half the stuff is stolen. I agree that it's more of a "know what you are looking for" situation now than a browsing one.

I feel like I should know this already, but is there a way I/you can block one person's posts on CL? I get frustrated searching places like the SFBA CL only to have Columbus Bikes posting hundreds of listings per day. I know I can tag "-columbus", but I've had mixed results with that.

pdmtong
10-26-2018, 02:16 AM
I feel like I should know this already, but is there a way I/you can block one person's posts on CL? I get frustrated searching places like the SFBA CL only to have Columbus Bikes posting hundreds of listings per day. I know I can tag "-columbus", but I've had mixed results with that.

i'd be interested in that too. some shops tend to flood CL with their stuff...

Jmaxwel8
10-26-2018, 05:00 AM
I gave up on Craigslist a couple of years ago. For me it just isn’t worth the hassle buying or selling.

The add does now say cleats not included, so I would say that you got your point across.

cmbicycles
10-26-2018, 08:04 AM
i'd be interested in that too. some shops tend to flood CL with their stuff...
You can click the little red [x] next to the listing title and flag it. It will disappear from your screen until they repost the ad. Takes a minute but its the only way I know of to get rid of the repetitive junk.

rwsaunders
10-26-2018, 08:22 AM
Wow Bob, I've had some odd experiences with craigslist, but that is really out there...you were nicer than I wouldve been

I thought for a moment that it might be have been you Sean...:banana:

mhespenheide
10-26-2018, 09:47 AM
You can click the little red [x] next to the listing title and flag it. It will disappear from your screen until they repost the ad. Takes a minute but its the only way I know of to get rid of the repetitive junk.

Thanks for the tip, but that only removes the single listing. I'm hoping to find a way to screen out all of the listings by one person/business, who posts the same 10's of bikes over and over again every couple of days. I guess I'm trying to find somehow that I can modify my search string inside of CL's own search engine. Like I said above, I can try to add "-columbuscyclery", but the that somehow excludes other bikes as well.

Honestly, I should just stop looking. I'm happy with the bikes I have. But, like Weisan-pal, I just like looking at the fascinating and interesting ones out there.