PDA

View Full Version : OT: Computer File and Settings Transfer Wizard

keno
11-11-2006, 06:12 AM
I want to transfer everthing that can be transferred from Computer A to Computer B. Everything seems to be going OK and then...no cigar.

Computer A has Windows XP Home Edition/Computer B has XP Professional.

I have connected the computers with a 9-pin serial null modem cable (as recommended).

I open the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard on each computer and get to the point where the delightful green check marks for each Wizard indicate that the serial port com 2 on Computer A is connected to serial port com 1 on Computer B and to move ahead with the transfer.

I click on the Next button for each and let the machines grind away.

I return sometime later and find that the monitor for Computer A tells me that it cannot find a connection to Computer B, and the monitor for Computer B tells me that nothing is being sent from Computer A.

The only choice the effing "Wizard" gives me at that point cancels the whole operation and does not provide any guidance for re-establishing a connection at that point.

I have gone through the procedure three times, and come up with the same outcome.

Are there any real wizards out there who can provide me with some guidance?

Thanks,

keno

pale scotsman
11-11-2006, 08:28 AM
Keno man, didn't you get an external hard drive? Hook that baby up to machine # 1 and use the file settings transfer wizard to send to that. Move it to machine # 2 when done and point the wizard on #2 to the external hard drive and pull 'em in.

Of course this doesn't answer why the serial connection doesn't work, but it's a work around.

keno
11-11-2006, 10:19 AM
yup, that was one of the next stunts I was to try, and, thanks, for being the true guru.

Incidentally, I did some reading on the internet and found that the Transfer Wizard has its problems and operates counterintuitively. I was trying the solution offered in the piece I read, and had given my current PC about 3 hours to gather the files and settings, of which there are relatively few as I've been using the machine for only about 4 months, and gave up, deciding to move on. How long should it take to gather about 1.5 gigs of settings and files?

keno