PDA

View Full Version : OT: Dodgers vs. Red Sox

fiamme red
10-23-2018, 12:12 PM
Should be a good series. I think the Red Sox are the better team, but we'll see how well Sale pitches tonight, and Price tomorrow.

ColonelJLloyd
10-23-2018, 12:17 PM
I've been keeping an eye out somewhat and surprised this is (as far as I can tell) the first MLB post season thread. I've watched it all to this point but, honestly, I'm not very interested in a Dodgers/Red Sox matchup. I'm an NL guy and was rooting for a Rockies/A's WS once the postseason commenced (that hope died quickly). I was hoping the Brewers would come away with an NL pennant, but it wasn't the case. I don't care for the way Puig and Machado play so I'm really not enthused about the WS. But, I'll likely watch most, if not all, games.

MattTuck
10-23-2018, 12:35 PM
I've been keeping an eye out somewhat and surprised this is (as far as I can tell) the first MLB post season thread. I've watched it all to this point but, honestly, I'm not very interested in a Dodgers/Red Sox matchup. I'm an NL guy and was rooting for a Rockies/A's WS once the postseason commenced (that hope died quickly). I was hoping the Brewers would come away with an NL pennant, but it wasn't the case. I don't care for the way Puig and Machado play so I'm really not enthused about the WS. But, I'll likely watch most, if not all, games.

Would have been cool to see the Brewers win. In this day and age of pro sports, you have to root for the small market teams. Odds are stacked against them. On the other hand, I love the red sox outfield. Wonder how good Betts would be if you dropped him in the same time period at Ted Williams.

jtbadge
10-23-2018, 12:44 PM
The two most exciting, explosive, and entertaining teams made it to the Series. We've been blessed with a string of great matchups over the last few seasons, besides that '15 Series when my Royals finally ended their pitiful streak by crushing the Mets.

I'm going for the Dodgers - too many lovable characters to resist, and I hope they can finally get Kershaw one before his time in LA comes to an end. Ultimately, I'm afraid Dave Roberts will overmanage like against the 'stros, though.

chuckred
10-23-2018, 12:56 PM
Grew up as a Dodgers fan watching Koufax And Drysdale. Now root for the Rockies but struggle when they are against the Dodgers. By freak chance, got to see Puig play early in his career with the Dodgers.

I'll be rooting for them!

livingminimal
10-23-2018, 01:11 PM
I'm a Giants fan which makes the Dodgers "The Hated Ones"

I cant help but root for them though. I really hate the Sox just as much, tbh. I hate the American League with just a couple of exceptions. Really, I am just swelling with hate.

I have a lot of Dodgers fans as friends, living here and all that, and the Giants have three rings going back to 2010 and are in for a tough, full rebuild after this years attempt at marginal mediocrity...so whatever...Dodgers...sure, why not...

ColonelJLloyd
10-23-2018, 01:33 PM
I cant help but root for them though. I really hate the Sox just as much, tbh. I hate the American League with just a couple of exceptions. Really, I am just swelling with hate.

This is me.

I'm under 40 and I want to see old school small ball. It's not a big demographic.

fiamme red
10-23-2018, 01:37 PM
This is me.

I'm under 40 and I want to see old school small ball. It's not a big demographic.Sadly, I don't think there will ever be another Whitey Herzog.

jtbadge
10-23-2018, 01:39 PM
I'm under 40 and I want to see old school small ball. It's not a big demographic.
Sadly, I don't think there will ever be another Whitey Herzog.

I mean, the Royals went to two consecutive World Series this decade, a run away from winning both of them, with essentially no power. Literally 95 homers as a team in 2014. It's crazy how fast offense across the league has abandoned that approach, but as the power pitching and situational defensive alignments continue to develop, we may see the trend swing back towards finding more consistent strategies to putting the ball in play.

The change the Dodgers made in their plate approach in game 7 of the NLCS from going for power 100% of the time to moving runners over is the only reason they advanced.

ColonelJLloyd
10-23-2018, 02:15 PM
Sadly, I don't think there will ever be another Whitey Herzog.

Truth. Those were great years.

The change the Dodgers made in their plate approach in game 7 of the NLCS from going for power 100% of the time to moving runners over is the only reason they advanced.

Indeed, and it made that game a lot of fun to watch despite me rooting for the other team.

I mean, the Royals went to two consecutive World Series this decade, a run away from winning both of them, with essentially no power. Literally 95 homers as a team in 2014. It's crazy how fast offense across the league has abandoned that approach, but as the power pitching and situational defensive alignments continue to develop, we may see the trend swing back towards finding more consistent strategies to putting the ball in play.

I hope so. And advancing those runners. I'd love to see a modern player in the vein of Ricky Henderson or Vince Coleman.

kppolich
10-23-2018, 02:31 PM
Sox in 5, you heard it here first.

bobswire
10-23-2018, 03:36 PM

That's how the Giants won their pennants in 2010, 2012 and 2014, pitching and defense.

cgolvin
10-23-2018, 03:47 PM

I think you must mean game 5 since all their runs in game 7 came on home runs.

I'm a big Dodger fan and will be pulling for them with hopeful optimism, but the Sox are a very well rounded team. I used to like them but after 2004 they went from lovable losers to obnoxious (though not as bad as the Pats).

Anyone else notice how the unbearable NLCS announcers wouldn't shut up about the Brewers' bullpen when in fact the Dodgers' pen outperformed them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtbadge
10-23-2018, 03:50 PM
I think you must mean game 5 since all their runs in game 7 came on home runs.

I'm a big Dodger fan and will be pulling for them with hopeful optimism, but the Sox are a very well rounded team. I used to like them but after 2004 they went from lovable losers to obnoxious (though not as bad as the Pats).

Anyone else notice how the unbearable NLCS announcers wouldn't shut up about the Brewers' bullpen when in fact the Dodgers' pen outperformed them?

Game 5 is what I meant.

Joe Buck has been driving people up the wall for years, his endless fixations on storylines and superstars is so grating.

sfo1
10-23-2018, 05:03 PM
anyone but LA...............

Louis
10-23-2018, 05:14 PM
anyone but LA...............

How can you say this, they've never, ever failed a drug test.

Drmojo
10-23-2018, 05:29 PM

you heard it hear second

sfo1
10-23-2018, 05:53 PM
Although they have talent, they lead the league in mental midgets and poor sportsmanship (read Puig).

Go Gigantes (2020)!

How can you say this, they've never, ever failed a drug test.

cgolvin
10-23-2018, 06:14 PM
Although they have talent, they lead the league in mental midgets and poor sportsmanship (read Puig).

#dontlookatme

sfo1
10-23-2018, 06:22 PM
If he chokes against the Sox, they ought to trade him to Minnesota.

His act will go over real nice 'up there.'

https://securea.mlb.com/assets/images/1/6/4/200812164/cuts/cheers_8unrjatt_5em4pedz.jpg

Spdntrxi
10-23-2018, 06:22 PM
Dodgers vs Yankees would be epic..

oh well.... go blue

Matthew
10-23-2018, 08:14 PM
I'm pulling for the Tigers... Oh wait, they were terrible this year. At least I have the Wings to cheer for. Crap, they aren't any good either. There's always the Lions. Oh, never mind. Go Sox I guess.

likebikes
10-23-2018, 11:21 PM
go sox!

sfo1
10-24-2018, 12:12 AM
The Kershaw curse.

Bradford
10-24-2018, 07:07 AM
For those of you who haven't seen the Red Sox play this year, that was a typical day. They are steady, score runs, and score late.

The Dodgers should expect 3-4 more games just like that.

buddybikes
10-24-2018, 08:01 AM
....and Cora is one heck of a manager. Who else would of put up Nunez after Devers hit well earlier in game.

Bullpen really coming around, this was our scare going into the playoffs. Add few starting pitchers in the pen and getting real fun.

oldpotatoe
10-24-2018, 08:06 AM

Go Gigantes (2020)!

AND Machado..
In July, the Dodgers traded to acquire All-Star shortstop Manny Machado from the Baltimore Orioles. During his time in the American League East, Machado made no friends at Fenway Park.

It all started with a controversial slide through second base that injured Dustin Pedroia (who subsequently missed all but three games this season due to knee surgery) during an April 2017 game in Baltimore.

Machado didn’t help his reputation during the National League Championship Series, during which he was fined for kicking Milwaukee Brewers first baseman Jesus Aguilar while running out a ground ball. The incident incited Brewers star outfielder Christian Yelich to call Machado “just a dirty player.”

buddybikes
10-24-2018, 08:47 AM
>>Machado didn’t help his reputation during the National League Championship Series, during which he was fined for kicking Milwaukee Brewers first baseman Jesus Aguilar while running out a ground ball. The incident incited Brewers star outfielder Christian Yelich to call Machado “just a dirty player.”

I think someone is going to get hurt this series...

sfo1
10-24-2018, 09:53 AM
Bellinger, Pederson, Puig & Machado are all overly cocky.

Remove those chumps and the team would get a lot more respect.

ptourkin
10-24-2018, 10:29 AM
Bellinger, Pederson, Puig & Machado are all overly cocky.

Remove those chumps and the team would get a lot more respect.

lol. This is why baseball is a dying sport. Machado maliciously wounding players is one issue. Bat flips and exuberant gestures is another. Keep pushing the "unwritten rules" and watch it dry up in a pool of pale tears. So much more condemnation of this than the standing ovation for Hader and the comments from the Fenway stands.

oldpotatoe
10-24-2018, 10:41 AM
lol. This is why baseball is a dying sport. Machado maliciously wounding players is one issue. Bat flips and exuberant gestures is another. Keep pushing the "unwritten rules" and watch it dry up in a pool of pale tears. So much more condemnation of this than the standing ovation for Hader and the comments from the Fenway stands.

Not as big as it once was and maybe 'shrinking' but hardly dying. MLB total payroll about $4billion, NFL and $5billion...
Bottom line: Certainly, baseball is not America’s favorite sport and hasn’t been for a long time. But with more than 72 million tickets sold to games in 2017, it’s far from disappearing from the American sports landscape.

fiamme red
10-24-2018, 10:49 AM
I'm glad that when I was a boy, I could watch World Series games to the end and still be in bed at a reasonable hour. Last night's game ended at 12:01 EST.

ptourkin
10-24-2018, 11:25 AM
I'm glad that when I was a boy, I could watch World Series games to the end and still be in bed at a reasonable hour. Last night's game ended at 12:01 EST.

And sometimes had to sneak a radio into school.

cgolvin
10-24-2018, 11:27 AM
I fondly recall when world series games took place in weather that more closely resembled the weather for the vast majority of regular season games. And, unbelievably, even during daylight.

I am old apparently.

jtbadge
10-24-2018, 11:41 AM
lMachado maliciously wounding players is one issue. Bat flips and exuberant gestures is another. Keep pushing the "unwritten rules" and watch it dry up in a pool of pale tears. So much more condemnation of this than the standing ovation for Hader and the comments from the Fenway stands.

100% agree. Move over, "good ole' boys" and "playing the right way." Rosters are being built from the best talent from more and more diverse backgrounds, and the rest of the world doesn't have any patience for the stuck-up attitudes.

pinkshogun
10-24-2018, 11:48 AM
Yaz takes time out from his busy fishing schedule to throw out the first pitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNp6bNf8HPY

fiamme red
10-28-2018, 07:35 AM
I turned off the TV after the 6th inning last night, with the Dodgers up 4-0. The Red Sox' bats had been dormant, and I thought the game was over.

makoti
10-28-2018, 11:22 AM

I remember they used to play WS games...in the DAYTIME! I know! Crazy talk, huh?

fiamme red
10-28-2018, 11:27 AM
I remember they used to play WS games...in the DAYTIME! I know! Crazy talk, huh?I remember them too. But I think that by the mid-1980's, all World Series games were played at night.

tv_vt
10-28-2018, 11:47 AM
I turned off the TV after the 6th inning last night, with the Dodgers up 4-0. The Red Sox' bats had been dormant, and I thought the game was over.

Yeah, Dodgers fans thought it was over, too. I sure thought it was over. Nine runs in three innings after going scoreless for 6 innings? Crazy.

Ps. Daytime WS games - I remember those well. Remember sitting in my jr. high math class and the teacher had his radio going on his desk while he gave us some problems to work on. Deal was we had to keep quiet or the radio went off. Other than the announcer, you could hear a pin drop.

Bruce K
10-28-2018, 12:36 PM
I must be really old

I remember Sandy Koufax refusing to pitch a Saturday day fame in the WS because it was the Jewish Sabbath and against his beliefs.

BK

Bradford
10-28-2018, 02:41 PM
The 27 innings in the last two games have just been great...this is exactly what World Series baseball should be. What a great series, but I can't take much more of this. Time for the Sox to put it away so I can calm down.

Climb01742
10-28-2018, 03:02 PM
And so we can get to bed at a reasonable hour! Pitching Price tonight is a gutsy move. Fingers crossed that Cora’s magic touch lasts one more game.

Macadamia
10-28-2018, 03:42 PM

did you watch the friday game to the end?

at one point larry king's wife and friend were holding him up like it was "weekend at bernie's"

msl819
10-28-2018, 04:17 PM
The 27 innings in the last two games have just been great...this is exactly what World Series baseball should be. What a great series, but I can't take much more of this. Time for the Sox to put it away so I can calm down.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. I’d rather them celebrate in Boston assuming they close it out but man, getting it done tonight would help my rest a ton.

gemship
10-28-2018, 04:21 PM
I see Red Sox nation is alive and well. GO SOX:fight:

likebikes
10-28-2018, 04:45 PM
go sox!

!

peanutgallery
10-28-2018, 05:11 PM
This just in, according to my buddy Petey from Providence, Bill Belichek is taking time out from the NFL to pitch game 5 for the Sox. It's a lock:) Imagine Mike Ditka driving the Bears team bus in the Indy 500

After spending 10 years of my youth in VT I have always been a closet Dead Sox fan, and though they've been successful as a franchise for the last decade or so - I remember the details of their failures of the past in much more detail. Something about the playoff/world series hard lucks and almosts from back when. Last 15 years or so haven't provided the same level of drama/crazy and I sort of miss it. Just in my lifetime, let me throw a few names out that will wind the faithful to the moon and water some eyes. Carlton Fisk, Bucky Dent, Bill Buckner and Tim Wakefield. I can recite way too many details about those situations because of the crazy, recent success - not so much

For the record, I too miss daytime playoff/series games. I remember getting out of school early to watch the one game play-in with the hated Yankees in 1978

fiamme red
10-28-2018, 08:50 PM
Sox in 5, you heard it here first.I'm impressed. :)

likebikes
10-28-2018, 09:00 PM
price x kelly = unstoppable

peanutgallery
10-28-2018, 09:39 PM
Boring

I wanted drama:)

sfo1
10-28-2018, 09:40 PM
Champs over chumps!

pinkshogun
10-28-2018, 10:42 PM
A little chilly between A Rod and Varitek in the post game interviews:fight:

MattTuck
10-29-2018, 08:41 AM

I'm impressed. :)

Hmmm, but what about that double header they played in games 4a and 4b? :)

Boring

I wanted drama:)

Price should have been the MVP! is that good enough drama?

wc1934
10-29-2018, 08:51 AM
Champs over chumps!

yup - still wished someone had drilled Machado (coming from me a non-violent person).

benb
10-29-2018, 08:52 AM
This has been such a weird year living in Boston.

I'm at work this morning and there has been 0 mention of the Red Sox.

Back in 2004 everyone was hanging from the ceiling out of their minds.

It's like we've turned into New Yorkers gradually each win that's occurred... :cool:

Climb01742
10-29-2018, 09:24 AM
I'm really happy for David Price. Redemption must feel sweet.

And I love the story of Steve Pearce, a Red Sox fan as a boy, a long wait as a journeyman ballplayer for his chance, then he grabs it with both hands, with his Dad in the stands. How good is that?

But maybe what I dig most is that this ring comes from EVERY player. Each game thru the play-offs, it seemed to be a different guy, often an unsung guy. Stars get the pub, but teams win championships.

sfo1
10-29-2018, 09:34 AM
Do the Dodgers dump a few misfits and big salary players? Kershaw can opt out. Either Roberts is out or they need to make serious changes.

Take a cue from the Sox and see role players, humility, chemistry vs. I'm a star attitude.

MattTuck
10-29-2018, 09:46 AM
Do the Dodgers dump a few misfits and big salary players? Kershaw can opt out. Either Roberts is out or they need to make serious changes.

Take a cue from the Sox and see role players, humility, chemistry vs. I'm a star attitude.

I didn't follow the Dodgers all season, so maybe you're right. But it seems like an over-reaction to make big changes based on a sample of 5 games.

Sometimes another team gets hot, sometimes you hit a ill timed slump from a few key players.

Sometimes you just come up against a better team, or a team that is playing better at that time.

sfo1
10-29-2018, 09:58 AM
The Dodgers started slow and finished strong.

But, two years in a row in lala land is enough for a palace coup.

They don't pay Roberts competitively and he's a good coach.

Don't sign Machado, trade Pig and get some 'been there' locker room vets. Seager is back next year and technically they are still stacked.

bikeridah
10-29-2018, 11:23 AM
The craziest stat Joe Buck said last night was that the only player in the line-up from the 2013 winning team is Bogaerts. To turnover the team like that in 5 years and win again with a rookie manager, quite an accomplishment.

hoonjr
10-29-2018, 12:17 PM
The craziest stat Joe Buck said last night was that the only player in the line-up from the 2013 winning team is Bogaerts. To turnover the team like that in 5 years and win again with a rookie manager, quite an accomplishment.

I have to disagree. With the payroll John Henry bankrolled, it would be insane not to expect them to win. Money wins everytime. Baseball needs a damn salary cap. So does professional soccer. So does cycling.

bpm
10-29-2018, 01:05 PM

I guess Buck is right in a sense, but Dustin Pedroia, Steven Wright, and Brandon Workman were also on the 2013 team. They weren't in the lineup for the series (although Workman was for the ALDS and ALCS), but they are on the team.

JBJ also was on the 2013 roster for parts of the regular season, bouncing back and forth between Boston and Pawtucket several times during the season. He didn't play in the postseason that year.

MattTuck
10-29-2018, 01:10 PM
I guess Buck is right in a sense, but Dustin Pedroia, Steven Wright, and Brandon Workman were also on the 2013 team. They weren't in the lineup for the series (although Workman was for the ALDS and ALCS), but they are on the team.

JBJ also was on the 2013 roster for parts of the regular season, bouncing back and forth between Boston and Pawtucket several times during the season. He didn't play in the postseason that year.

Likewise, I think Betts was in the Red Sox minor league system then.

bpm
10-29-2018, 01:17 PM
Likewise, I think Betts was in the Red Sox minor league system then.

There could be quite a few if you look at the minor league system. I was only looking at players that actually were in the lineup for Boston during the 2013 season. There could be others too, but the few I mentioned were the names I could remember.

bikeridah
10-29-2018, 01:19 PM
I have to disagree. With the payroll John Henry bankrolled, it would be insane not to expect them to win. Money wins everytime. Baseball needs a damn salary cap. So does professional soccer. So does cycling.

Not necessarily. Look at the Salary ranking for the winning teams since 2013, none are in top 5 except Boston in 2013 (#4) and in 2018 (#2) behind SF (#1).

https://cdn.gobankingrates.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/171023_GBR_WorldSeriesPayrolls_1920x1080-848x477.jpg

OtayBW
10-29-2018, 01:27 PM
Don't sign Machado, trade Pig and get some 'been there' locker room vets. Why trade Machado? Great 3Bman, career .280+ hitter, 37 HR this year. Expensive maybe, but at the Dodgers payroll, he's a solid pickup, IMO.

PacNW2Ford
10-29-2018, 01:32 PM

The Dodgers only had four players from their 2013 40-man roster on their team, Kershaw, Ryu, Puig and Kemp. And Kemp just came back this year. Plus the Dodgers helped the Red Sox purge their roster earlier. Congrats to the Red Sox, they had a great season.

jtbadge
10-29-2018, 01:52 PM
Why trade Machado? Great 3Bman, career .280+ hitter, 37 HR this year. Expensive maybe, but at the Dodgers payroll, he's a solid pickup, IMO.

Wouldn’t be a trade, his contract is over at the end of the season. I’d be surprised if they even offer him a deal given Seager returning.

Also, no way they dump Puig. Dude has the biggest heart and hustle on the team.

Elefantino
10-29-2018, 02:01 PM
Happiest city in the country today: Boston.

Second happiest: San Francisco

wc1934
10-29-2018, 03:30 PM
Happiest city in the country today: Boston.

Second happiest: San Francisco

Haha - good one - duck boat parade is on Wednesday.

MattTuck
10-29-2018, 05:17 PM
Haha - good one - duck boat parade is on Wednesday.

Golden age for Boston sports. People will look back and refer to this period (2002-????) as Boston's duck boat dynasty.

fiamme red
10-30-2018, 01:17 PM
I see Red Sox nation is alive and well.And as classy as ever. :rolleyes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/29/sports/red-sox-yankees-fans-chant.html

sfo1
10-30-2018, 01:38 PM
I don’t think he is a good fit for that team. No doubt talented but he wants to play ss. Segar has that locked up.

LA has talent but I think they need solid vet “been there, done that” leadership more than they need another primadonna that is not going the extra mile for his team.

Why trade Machado? Great 3Bman, career .280+ hitter, 37 HR this year. Expensive maybe, but at the Dodgers payroll, he's a solid pickup, IMO.

echelon_john
10-30-2018, 01:45 PM
Bellissima!

wc1934
10-30-2018, 03:01 PM
Bellissima!
That was a nice catch - Benintendi is a real good defensive outfielder with a strong arm - he threw out a number of runners - had something like 12 assists.

OtayBW
10-30-2018, 03:40 PM
I don’t think he is a good fit for that team. No doubt talented but he wants to play ss. Segar has that locked up.

LA has talent but I think they need solid vet “been there, done that” leadership more than they need another primadonna that is not going the extra mile for his team.You may be right, but I never got that impression in the years that he played 3B in Baltimore. Freaking awesome 3Bman, IMO.

nickl
10-30-2018, 04:56 PM
And as classy as ever. :rolleyes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/29/sports/red-sox-yankees-fans-chant.html

Read the article, NY fans did the same during the the 98 season...still the greatest and longest rivalry in US sport. Fans of both teams should just enjoy it.

bikinchris
10-30-2018, 05:12 PM
Fans need to cheer their own team. No one ever got someone from the other team to play worse by yelling, (they expect that) but they can get their own team to play better by cheering.

sfo1
12-21-2018, 07:18 PM
Pig love Cincy.

The honeymoon is over....

Hello Harper... (premature but it makes sense).

Go Gigantes!

wc1934
12-21-2018, 08:05 PM
Pig love Cincy.

The honeymoon is over....

Hello Harper... (premature but it makes sense).

Go Gigantes!

Boatload of $