PDA

View Full Version : Transition or polarized lenses for prescription sunglasses?

cyan
10-23-2018, 10:41 AM
Getting myself a pair of prescription sunglasses for cycling. Trying to decide whether go for transition lenses that will handle both bright and low light situations or polarized lenses that will handle bright conditions better (less glare). Heard today that polarized ones may suffer depth perception problems and glares are not that big of problems on the road, in addition, some say polarized may make it harder to see the Garmin/Wahoo??

Any experience to share?

Ozz
10-23-2018, 10:46 AM
a couple knocks against polarized:

- harder to see glass bits on road as polarization reduces the reflections
- harder to use mobile phone with polarized lenses...not sure why, just my experience

I have some Rudy Project glasses that are about 15 yrs old (just replaced the nose piece last week)....they came with lenses that are a red/bronze tint called "Racing Red". It is a really good all purpose lens for everything but really low light and really bright light. Even in bright they do OK, but just not great. They are perfect for overcast and partly sunny, or riding thru variable sun and shade (through woods, in mountains, etc). They are not polarized.

I believe you can order prescription lenses thru them as well: https://rudyprojectdealer.com/collections/rx-direct-inframe/products/rydon

parris
10-23-2018, 11:01 AM
I don't think I'd go for a transition type lens for cycling. Depending on your helmet and how the light is shaded the lenses sometimes don't transition evenly. I've also found that at least in my area most transition lenses don't get as dark as I care for leading to fatigue and eye strain.

I do like both polarized and regular non polarized lenses in appropriate tints.

scoobydrew
10-23-2018, 11:05 AM
Echoing what others have mentioned here.

I have a pair of polarized sunglasses and another pair that has transition lenses.

The transition lenses don't get dark enough for me personally. The polarized pair work well enough, but there's certain road conditions, such as patchy asphalt, that's a bit tough to distinct between a wet spot, glare, etc.

ultraman6970
10-23-2018, 11:18 AM
Transitions will never get dark enough IME aswell...

I have polarized... just pick the right color tho, it makes a difference.

zmudshark
10-23-2018, 12:41 PM
There are now transition sunglasses.

benb
10-23-2018, 01:17 PM
I talked to Sports Optical about this and they really really discouraged me from getting transitions lenses.

They said basically only if you are 100% road and you live in an area with little tree cover.

They work fine if you get off your bike and go into a coffee shop, but they don't respond fast enough for riding in and out of tunnels or through MTB trails where lighting is constantly changing at high frequency.

I do have polarized lenses though.. the smartphone thing is the only negative for me really. Mine are the "Rose Copper" that Sports Optical sells, they are a 75% reduction lens. Really versatile. They work across a really wide range of conditions. It has to be quite cloudy & dark for me to want to put my clear lenses in.

The transreflective screens in Garmins and the eInk screens in the Wahoo units, etc.. don't have the same type of polarized film in them and they look fine through polarized lenses. Smartphones don't really work though.

Blue Jays
10-23-2018, 01:24 PM
My prescription sunglasses have all the terrific options except polarization.
As cyclists, we need to see the telltale glare of snow, ice, or water on roadways.
The safety aspect of seeing this shimmer is why skiing glasses are similarly not polarized.

bmeryman
10-23-2018, 01:27 PM
I had a pair of Rudy Projects with transition lenses that I loved. The big caveat for me is that I came from riding without sunglasses at all, so I found them to be dark enough. I thought they were great for mountain biking too as they got pretty clear.

Since then I've moved away from transition lenses though. Prescription sunglasses on the road and normal glasses for mountain biking. I've never got used to contacts for myself, but I have zero complaints with my eyewear choices. I guess riding in heavy rain is annoying (can't see with glasses, can't see without them situation). But that's it.

cageybee
10-23-2018, 01:42 PM
I've been pleased with transitions in amber color, which I've used for years. They are really dark only under the harshest light, and I find that on cloudy days, they adjust well to take out the glare without being too dark. Very good for early morning or late afternoon rides. Don't have to take on or remove, which is convenient, and affords constant eye protection.

RobJ
10-23-2018, 02:31 PM
Polarized - as others have said. Polarizing is best if you are going to be on the water or a highly-reflective surface.

I have a pair of prescription Oakley Flak Jackets from SportRX which has transition, from clear to brown. If you are strictly out in 100% sun then you don't need it. But I use mine for trail riding, running etc. where I am in out of the shade or shaded areas and need to be able to read my watch/map etc. and need the depth-perception. That's where transitions really shine. Most transitions options will list the levels of light transmission (i.e. how dark they get). I also have a pair from a glass company, Opticus, that specializes in mountaineering eyewear and those get seriously dark!

Calnago
10-23-2018, 02:39 PM
Polarizing is best if you are going to be on the water or a highly-reflective surface.

This is the exact reason why polarized lenses may not be good for cycling. Especially on roads where you do not want the slick reflective surfaces to be hidden, as may be the case where there is black ice in spots, or light slicks of water on the road. Or sometimes worst of all, the tar patches that are often used in road repairs to fill in cracks and frost heaves. All those hazards can send you down in a hurry if you’re not aware you’re about to hit them.

sparky33
10-23-2018, 02:46 PM
I would probably ride into a tree if I wore regular sunglasses in the woods.

Transition lenses work great for all light conditions. Night, day, woods, sun, snow, etc. Mine are prescription transition.

Polarized lenses are great when out on the water, but my bike doesn't float well so that is usually the main challenge there.

weaponsgrade
10-23-2018, 03:23 PM
I was also told to avoid polarized lenses for cycling. I had transitions once, but also found that they didn't get dark enough for all day riding in the sun. When it came time for a new prescription, I just went back to regular RX sunglasses.

cyan
10-23-2018, 04:06 PM
I wonder if Transition Xtractive (from Essilor) solves the problems that transition lenses do not get dark and fast enough. The Xtractive version also claims it handles higher temperature better than the normal Transition VII.

el cheapo
10-23-2018, 04:52 PM
Had transitions a few years ago and the film flaked off. Optician told me it happens all the time. This time I went with full sunglasses without polar (didn't want to spend the $$$).

verbs4us
10-23-2018, 05:35 PM
Agree with Ozz (and others): polarized lenses will often hide road hazard, like the rim of a manhole cover, expansion plates -- anything metallic. I gave them up years ago. Have Oakley transitions now. They are fine in anything but routes with a lot of tree canopy, where you go from stark light to sunless shade in an instant. On a bike path around here, there was a doc who died in a fall, and some suspect he didn't see a road hazard in the shade since he had transition lenses on. On varying routes, I tend to prefer amber lenses. On mainly treeless routes, transitions.

pasadena
10-23-2018, 06:03 PM
I ride w non- and polarized lenses and it never made me miss glass or manhole covers or road debris.
I guess it makes sense that it might but I've never had an issue. I like them because it makes everything sharp and reduces eye fatigue.

They do mess with reading displays and phones because of the angle looking down through the polarization

For prescription, i guess polarization would be too limiting.

buddybikes
10-23-2018, 06:43 PM
Check out Drivewear, they do both and amber color. Great thing is they transition in the car. http://www.drivewearlens.com/home.php?flashchange=8

Bob Ross
10-23-2018, 07:57 PM
some say polarized may make it harder to see the Garmin/Wahoo??

^^^This is something I noticed, so I stopped using polarized sunglasses for cycling a dozen years ago (back when it was simply a CatEye or a Sigma that I couldn't see).

I've owned two or three pairs of Transitions and *none* of them "transition" fast enough or get dark enough to be as appealing as the concept sounds.

I know, I'm no help...

LGrider
10-23-2018, 10:00 PM
I went with Rudy Project photochromatic black. They get plenty dark in the day, but I can also wear them commuting in the winter when it's pitch black.

makoti
10-23-2018, 10:54 PM
I got transition lenses with bifocals. I was going to go with progressives, but the person helping me talked me out of it. Too small a sweet spot. The don't get as dark as I'd like, but plenty dark enough. And for walking inside to buy something during a ride, they are great. Very happy with the choice. I may get a set of dark lenses w/bifocals for days when I know I'm not going to be going in anywhere.

Dougb
10-23-2018, 11:34 PM
My glasses have both progressive and transition. Best thing I could've done and wish I did it a long time ago. The progressive took me a few days to get used to but they work great. And with the transition I don't ever have to carry sunglasses. If you don't want people to see your eyes when you are out in public though they don't get dark enough for that.

Seramount
10-24-2018, 09:10 AM
I wonder if Transition Xtractive (from Essilor) solves the problems that transition lenses do not get dark and fast enough. The Xtractive version also claims it handles higher temperature better than the normal Transition VII.

I have a pair of RP Rydon II cycling glasses with dark polarized lenses. have no issues with seeing glass, reading computer screen, etc. they've been my favorite riding accessory for years...

recently purchased everyday eyewear with Transition Xtractive lenses. they get quite dark, react 'fairly' quickly, and even turn partially (~35%) dark in the car.

haven't tried riding with the Transitions, but my guess is that I'd prefer the polarized version of the Rudys.

weiwentg
10-24-2018, 09:58 AM
I concur that polarized lenses won't add anything to your road riding experience, and they may actually hurt if you have a GPS.

Based on technology 4 years ago, I'm not eager to try transition lenses for road again. They weren't very useful. They didn't transition fast enough, they don't get dark enough for bright days, and they were too light on cloudy days. And they didn't work very well for driving (although the extra-active transition lenses should address that).

If you're an Oakley person, it might be better to get a Prizm lens or two.

mktng
10-24-2018, 10:14 AM
i've been using photochromic lenses on my oakleys for the past couple years.
they have been great. if they have RX versions of those lenses. i'd get those if i had to.

they definitely get dark enough for daytime riding
they are a life saver for commutes this time of year.

ive never had them not shield my vision.

only downside. you cant people watch :P

djg21
10-24-2018, 10:17 AM
a couple knocks against polarized:

- harder to see glass bits on road as polarization reduces the reflections
- harder to use mobile phone with polarized lenses...not sure why, just my experience

I have some Rudy Project glasses that are about 15 yrs old (just replaced the nose piece last week)....they came with lenses that are a red/bronze tint called "Racing Red". It is a really good all purpose lens for everything but really low light and really bright light. Even in bright they do OK, but just not great. They are perfect for overcast and partly sunny, or riding thru variable sun and shade (through woods, in mountains, etc). They are not polarized.

I believe you can order prescription lenses thru them as well: https://rudyprojectdealer.com/collections/rx-direct-inframe/products/rydon

I use Rudys. I actually have a couple different pair dating back through the last 15 years because it’s less expense to purchase complete sets of glasses than it is to just purchase the replacement progressive Rx lenses I use. I use the photocromatic clear to black lenses which I like because I can still wear them at dusk, or even inside to watch TV while on the trainer, but they still offer good sun protection on bright days.

In anyone needs a pair of nonRx glasses, I have a pair of older Eykimov model with numerous non-prescription lenses in various colors, which all are in great shape. I’m now using Rydons, and I have an extra pair of these that might sell too, if I can find the non-prescription lenses.

pdmtong
10-24-2018, 12:28 PM
I've been happy with my Rudy dark gray ImpactX photochromatic polarized. We don't go in and out of heavy tree canopy here so the transition is fine. I dont notice any ill effect of missing road hazards due to the polarization. I think a lot depends on where and when you ride.

for overcast days I have the same lens in 28% red...the contrast is better.

one lensI am underwhelmed by is the oakley prizm road. it wasnt better for my needs.

parris
10-26-2018, 10:08 AM
I wanted to add that something to also be aware of is that some of the flash coatings on lenses are more prone to scratching. Oakley with the Iridium coating is an example.

I have lenses with and without the flash coatings if I know that I'm going to be in a very dirty/dusty environment I'm going to wear one of my glasses without the flash coating. In my case that's the firearms ranges that I train at.

Tint as well as environment can also have a large impact in how flexible the lens is for someone. I live in Upstate NY where it's not as sunny as other areas. Our environment is dominated by greens with the trees, fields, and such. For how my eyes work many of the neutral gray lenses are fatiguing even if the light transmission is low. Lenses like the Oakley VR 28, Smith brown polarized and the like are much easier to get along with. The VR 28 and it sounds like the Rudy in the same category are very decent lens tints. Just some food for thought.