PDA

View Full Version : More eBay shenanigans

trener1
10-22-2018, 09:15 AM
Following on the thread from a few weeks ago, I sold something on eBay yesterday.
This morning I get this email

Hi,Im so sorry but I commit a big mistake on putting my bids on this particular item hence may I request for the cancellation of this transaction.Thank you for your kind consideration.

What do you guys think?, it's a cheap item but it's the idea that irks me.

AngryScientist
10-22-2018, 09:21 AM
yea, it's a pain but i'd probably just cancel it. you know he's not going to pay you anyway...

dbnm
10-22-2018, 09:22 AM
Just cancel it. Not worth the hassle.

Also, I recently made an offer on an item and the seller accepted. Then 15 minutes later he cancelled the transaction and relisted.

I wrote and asked when happened and he said did not fully read my offer terms and now doesn't want to sell to me.

Ugh.

Bentley
10-22-2018, 09:56 AM
I agree that at least the person had the decency to reach out instead of going radio silent and not paying. I think there are people who have a problem with just buying stuff. I would contact EBay and just make sure you dont have to pay the listing and sales fees

On the second one, I would contact EBay directly, they cannot just cancel and then say they just read the terms.

Ray

ptourkin
10-22-2018, 10:04 AM
That sucks. I thought you might be referring to this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-wh1000xm3-Headphones-EMPTY-BOX-Read-Description/302927594280?hash=item4687e44328:g:FvwAAOSwElxbw~6 A:rk:10:pf:0

CaptStash
10-22-2018, 10:13 AM
That man is a genius! Made my day. I think I will list my empty iPhone boxes.

CaptStash....

That sucks. I thought you might be referring to this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-wh1000xm3-Headphones-EMPTY-BOX-Read-Description/302927594280?hash=item4687e44328:g:FvwAAOSwElxbw~6 A:rk:10:pf:0

Pegoready
10-22-2018, 11:19 AM
I'd not cancel it nor would I communicate with the buyer. I would open up an unpaid item case when you can (or you can turn on the unpaid item assistant to automatically open cases for you). You won't get paid, but eBay will open and close the case. You will get your money back, eBay will "ding" the buyer. Enough dings and sellers can start to filter out these buyers. It also adds a little stress and therefore accountability to the deadbeat buyer.

If you just cancel the transaction he/she gets away with little hassle or repercussions.

raygunner
10-22-2018, 11:40 AM
When I'm irked about eBay I'll check out their seller forums...lots of awful scenarios and doom & gloom seller/buyer tales.

I'm not sure if the discussion on there is a good pulse of the state of eBay but has good insight and it's worth checking out if you're a frequent user.

Lanternrouge
10-22-2018, 11:52 AM
If you just cancel the transaction he/she gets away with little hassle or repercussions.

Something else to consider is that the person gets it, then claims it is not as advertised and demands that refund be issued after the seller pays for shipping both ways. Unfortunately, situations like this are often a matter of the choosing the least annoying outcome.

ChainNoise
10-22-2018, 02:43 PM
I'd not cancel it nor would I communicate with the buyer. I would open up an unpaid item case when you can (or you can turn on the unpaid item assistant to automatically open cases for you). You won't get paid, but eBay will open and close the case. You will get your money back, eBay will "ding" the buyer. Enough dings and sellers can start to filter out these buyers. It also adds a little stress and therefore accountability to the deadbeat buyer.

This is exactly what I'd do. I hate eBay...

Dougb
10-22-2018, 03:53 PM
I had someone flake out on me yesterday from one of my CL ads after we arranged to meet somewhere. Not the first problem I’ve ever had and won’t be the last. I’ve found it easier over the years to just let it go. Not worth the headache for me and if the tables were turned I’d appreciate someone giving me the benefit of the doubt. I’ve had sellers here and elsewhere show me some understanding in the past as well.

OtayBW
10-22-2018, 03:59 PM
I'd just move on. It's part of the deal. You can't 'fix' everything/one. My $0.02...

Fivethumbs
10-22-2018, 04:09 PM
I sold a NIB stem on ebay. I put no returns accepted in the listing. A guy bought it and contacted me a week or so after he received it and wanted to return it. He said he put it on his bike and found it was not the right size. He needed a shorter stem. I said I did not accept returns unless the item was not as described. He accused me of not showing "grace" and threatening to leave me bad feedback. I was in disbelief.

oldguy00
10-22-2018, 04:37 PM
Long time ebayer here as well (about 18 years I think).

Whenever a buyer flakes out, I just move on and relist the item. Its not like its a big deal. Takes me a few minutes to put in the cancellation with ebay so I don't pay the fees, and then I relist the item.

I will say, and I know this might sound odd....but in general, I've had better buying experiences on ebay, than I've had on these forums.

I've found the a lot of folks on this forum (and a couple others) seem to think its OK to send gear that is in horrible and/or dirty condition. Not sure if they think because they aren't on ebay that they won't be held to a high standard, or they think it'll be OK cause we're all 'bro's' here...

bambam
10-22-2018, 04:39 PM

+1

Everybody get confirmations before you bid with the basic rules.
They shouldn't agree to it if they are not sure.

Could this unreported activity be to drive up purchase prices in the future?
Maybe the user wants to get some artificial history somehow to rips someone off later?