PDA

View Full Version : OT: Sharing Amazon passwords

C40_guy
10-21-2018, 04:57 PM
Sister in law asked for my Amazon Prime password so that she and my mother in law can watch a prime video series.

I've already shared Amazon Prime with my MIL so that she can benefit from expedited shipping. Amazon provides for that.

On the other hand, watching a video requires logging into the core account, which also provides access to credit card info and purchase history, and of course, the ability to order anything on Amazon...

Thoughts on whether you'd share your Amazon Prime password with relatives (or others)?

Cicli
10-21-2018, 05:04 PM
Nope.
If I had a family member that was unable to swing a membership for financial reasons and I gave a poo about them I would buy them a membership. If they are just a cheapskate I would politely ask them to pound sand.

wc1934
10-21-2018, 05:26 PM
Nope.
If I had a family member that was unable to swing a membership for financial reasons and I gave a poo about them I would buy them a membership. If they are just a cheapskate I would politely ask them to pound sand.

yup - sounds like a great early xmas or birthday present.

Fivethumbs
10-21-2018, 05:29 PM
My Amazon account was compromised three times within a month and now I am wondering if it is an Amazon employee. I had two unauthorized purchases and they left positive reviews for the items. I did not even know the orders were placed because the same day they were placed, the orders were archived. I found out when the items showed up on my doorstep. I immediately changed my password to a strong password that I used no where else and returned the items. Then a week or so later I had 31 positive reviews show up for an item I did not even buy and that was never ordered on my account. The reviews were labeled unverified purchases. I deleted the reviews and again changed my password to something else. The next day my amazon password was changed by someone and I was locked out of my account. It was as if they were mad that I deleted the 31 reviews. Be careful with Amazon.

AngryScientist
10-21-2018, 05:36 PM
assuming they are adults and not starving college kids - shame on them for asking.

being able to stream movies is a luxury of the modern world and not a necessity.

keep your personal information personal IMO, just politely say no.

Even with people you love dearly, established boundaries are the best way to keep relationships good.

good fences make good neighbors, as they say.

Ozz
10-21-2018, 05:40 PM
No....

Prime Video also asks for a PIN to proceed with purchase...

zmudshark
10-21-2018, 05:49 PM
No....

Prime Video also asks for a PIN to proceed with purchase...
I share a Prime account with one of my sons. It just gives me Prime shipping, nothing else. I think it is a grandparents account or something like that. I would never ask for access to free videos or music. That’s what Usenet is for:rolleyes:

dbnm
10-21-2018, 05:55 PM
Password123

kppolich
10-21-2018, 06:06 PM
Sister in law asked for my Amazon Prime password so that she and my mother in law can watch a prime video series.

I've already shared Amazon Prime with my MIL so that she can benefit from expedited shipping. Amazon provides for that.

On the other hand, watching a video requires logging into the core account, which also provides access to credit card info and purchase history, and of course, the ability to order anything on Amazon...

Thoughts on whether you'd share your Amazon Prime password with relatives (or others)?

you should delete any stored credit card information from any site that stores it right now. no reason to have it stored there.

Tony T
10-21-2018, 06:19 PM
I've already shared Amazon Prime with my MIL so that she can benefit from expedited shipping. Amazon provides for that

Nope. No different than theft. Sorry.

C40_guy
10-21-2018, 06:40 PM
Nope.

Money is not an issue for anyone involved.

Spending it is. :)

This request came through my spouse, who expected me to hand over the account information. She's pissed at me that I declined the request.

Yea, I don't want everyone having access to my account. All sorts of crap will start to show up on my video watchlist. No, I don't trust them to keep the account information safe. And yes, it's stealing.

Try explaining that to a spouse. :)

So instead, I told her that Amazon scans for regular video requests from widely separated IP addresses and cancels Prime accounts for sharing violations.

Ozz
10-21-2018, 06:44 PM
Money is not an issue for anyone involved.

Spending it is. :)

This request came through my spouse, who expected me to hand over the account information. She's pissed at me that I declined the request.

Yea, I don't want everyone having access to my account. All sorts of crap will start to show up on my video watchlist. No, I don't trust them to keep the account information safe. And yes, it's stealing.

Try explaining that to a spouse. :)

So instead, I told her that Amazon scans for regular video requests from widely separated IP addresses and cancels Prime accounts for sharing violations.
So, your spouse is mad that you refused to be the "bad guy" with her sister and mom?;)

C40_guy
10-21-2018, 06:57 PM
So, your spouse is mad that you refused to be the "bad guy" with her sister and mom?;)

Sister in law.

Yea.

They can do no wrong.

I, on the other hand...

peanutgallery
10-21-2018, 07:21 PM
Load up your watchlist with dirty movies and then give them the credentials

They'll never ask again

C40_guy
10-21-2018, 07:23 PM
Load up your watchlist with dirty movies and then give them the credentials

They'll never ask again

I think my father in law would appreciate the recommendations. :)

tbike4
10-21-2018, 07:31 PM

Even with people you love dearly, established boundaries are the best way to keep relationships good.

Well said and spot on IMO. I would never give MILs, WILs, PILs or any ILs access to anything. My wife and I have separate Amazon accounts. I don't need to see the make up she has been looking at and I know she doesn't give 2 sº¶§ about the 11 speed master links I need.

I would tell my wife, just say no and make me the bad guy. She would probably do that anyway.

johnniecakes
10-21-2018, 08:18 PM
Nope. No different than theft. Sorry.

This++

Ozz
10-21-2018, 09:46 PM
Sister in law.

Yea.

They can do no wrong.

I, on the other hand...

Such is the lot of a loving husband....sigh.

:beer:

C40_guy
10-21-2018, 10:03 PM
Such is the lot of a loving husband....sigh.

:beer:

Yep!

oldpotatoe
10-22-2018, 06:06 AM

No..have your identity or credit card or bank acct stolen and you wouldn't either...as me how I know..:eek:
Angry sums it up really well.
assuming they are adults and not starving college kids - shame on them for asking.

being able to stream movies is a luxury of the modern world and not a necessity.

PQJ
10-22-2018, 07:30 AM
Another option for your sister in law would be for her to find Kanye West's email address. Having seen recorded footage of his love fest with Pres Hoaxuponus, it would appear as if his password is just a series of zeroes. :eek:

zlin
10-22-2018, 08:11 AM
Boundaries. Everyone should respect a polite no.

My .02

Mr. Squirrel
10-22-2018, 08:24 AM
nuk nuk nuk!!!

benb
10-22-2018, 09:20 AM
You can have her open her own account and you can add her to the family sharing plan IIRC and she'll be able to watch prime video on her account.

Sharing the account password with anyone is all kinds of stupid. That is the gateway to having your credit cards & identity stolen. Basic cybersecurity, put the clue hammer down on your relatives if they are giving you grief about not sharing passwords.

C40_guy
10-22-2018, 09:55 AM
You can have her open her own account and you can add her to the family sharing plan IIRC and she'll be able to watch prime video on her account.

Sharing the account password with anyone is all kinds of stupid. That is the gateway to having your credit cards & identity stolen. Basic cybersecurity, put the clue hammer down on your relatives if they are giving you grief about not sharing passwords.

Sharing a Prime accounts allows for shipping benefits but not video watching.

With regard to sharing passwords...yes "all kinds of stupid." I've been in the technology world for a long time and take security seriously. But try explaining that to your wife while she's got her SIL and mom on the phone, wanting to watch the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. :)

C40_guy
10-22-2018, 09:57 AM
Boundaries. Everyone should respect a polite no.

My .02

"Everyone" doesn't always include family....

...or...

"Boundaries" and "family"? Ha!

:)

benb
10-22-2018, 09:59 AM
My wife and I have a family plan and we can both watch videos through the Prime account.

There are different ways to configure this.

We have family fights over more important things, I'd have no problem telling any of my siblings to shove it if they were asking me for internet passwords that had credit cards and/or bank accounts associated with them.

MattTuck
10-22-2018, 10:08 AM
alternatively, hand write a long password consisting mostly of 1's, lower case L's, and upper case I's, Upper case O's, and zeros. take a photo and text it to them.

Mark McM
10-22-2018, 11:01 AM
you should delete any stored credit card information from any site that stores it right now. no reason to have it stored there.

What makes you think that the credit card information is actually deleted? Likely it is simply unlinked from the account. If you made a purchase with the card, the card data is (forever) linked to the purchase record.

rallizes
10-22-2018, 11:05 AM
Your sister in law should be embarrassed to be asking this of you

dddd
10-22-2018, 03:48 PM
your sister in law should be embarrassed to be asking this of you

^^^^this^^^^

Please show your wife this thread here on PACELINE.

When you are old and nearing the end, have your executor know where all your passwords are hidden.

William
10-22-2018, 03:49 PM
nuk nuk nuk!!!

I like that one...but you're still a rodent!:butt:

William

deechee
10-23-2018, 01:25 PM
Man. I don't know where this moral high ground is coming from. If you don't want to share, that's another issue, but honestly, it's not that different from lending a dvd or a BOOK to a friend unless you're all streaming at the same time. (and even then, remember the days of making mix audio tapes / VHS? )

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings has said on many occasions, share!

“We love people sharing Netflix whether they’re two people on a couch or 10 people on a couch,,” Hastings said. “That’s a positive thing, not a negative thing.”

Amazon has a "teen" account (from the family plan (https://www.amazon.com/myh/households)) you can set up for your sister in law if you want to restrict access.

slowpoke
10-23-2018, 10:17 PM
fwiw, you can not add a new address and pay with existing credit cards, so your MIL/SIL won't be able to order stuff to their houses using your credit cards.

However at the end of the day, it's your Prime account. If they want Prime Video so badly, they can either get their own account, or offer to pay for half of yours.

likebikes
10-24-2018, 12:26 AM
teach them how to use torrents.

velotrack
10-24-2018, 12:29 AM
i share my prime account with my brother. he has his credit card info on it and he selects that when he buys things, and i have mine.
(i also share a netflix account with some friends, so take that as you will)

i guess to me it's not a big deal whatsoever.

Tony T
10-24-2018, 08:50 AM
i share my prime account with my brother. he has his credit card info on it and he selects that when he buys things, and i have mine.
(i also share a netflix account with some friends, so take that as you will)

i guess to me it's not a big deal whatsoever.

I take it as theft of services.

redir
10-24-2018, 09:49 AM
I see it as theft too. I always like to look at things in a manor of what would I do? Would I ever ask someone for their password so I could steal content? Hell no. So I would not expect that from anyone else either and if I got it anyway the answer would be no.

Talk about the gall that some people have... A buddy of mine was in Lowes the other day, a Vietnam vet who was wearing his 100th Airborne hat, and this women approached him and asked him if he could be with her when she bought this riding mower so she could get a military discount. I mean really?