PDA

View Full Version : Help: removing insert from true temper fork

FastforaSlowGuy
10-20-2018, 02:43 PM
I cut my fork down without thinking about the threading of the metal insert. Oops. The insert is not cemented in place apparently. I tapped it and it slid down in the steerer. But it isn’t so loose that I can just slide it up and out. Any suggestions?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181020/643cd6c3e30317ba46cee9fb59932dc3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tuscanyswe
10-20-2018, 03:04 PM
These are suppose to be glued in but maybe it was a bad glue job..

Did you try the first thing that comes to mind?
I mean if you can tap it down there must be or have been room at the bottom. So an L hook of a strong enough material to pull from the bottom?

FastforaSlowGuy
10-20-2018, 03:21 PM
These are suppose to be glued in but maybe it was a bad glue job..

Did you try the first thing that comes to mind?
I mean if you can tap it down there must be or have been room at the bottom. So an L hook of a strong enough material to pull from the bottom?

Yep. I got an L shaped allen under there, but it wouldn’t budge. The steerer is short enough that if I just tap it down the new insert won’t fit on top.

FastforaSlowGuy
10-20-2018, 03:30 PM
Does anyone know the ID of a typical 1” carbon fork? The ID of the metal sleeve is 20.5mm. Seems I could slip an expanded plug in there and use that to extract the sleeve.

tuscanyswe
10-20-2018, 03:33 PM
Does anyone know the ID of a typical 1” carbon fork? The ID of the metal sleeve is 20.5mm. Seems I could slip an expanded plug in there and use that to extract the sleeve.

Sry i dont but not a bad idea, only perhaps the friction between the insert and the steerer will be larger than the expander to the insert. Only way to know is to test i guess.

Big Dan
10-20-2018, 03:34 PM
I think the top of the insert had a small lip that kept it in place.
Anyways those forks are pretty old, consider looking for a replacement soon.

bewheels
10-20-2018, 04:00 PM
Do a google search for “bearing puller” and you will likely find something.

There are a few types. One is basically a slide hammer which is meant for this type of thing.

Dino Suegiù
10-20-2018, 05:14 PM
Yes, those TT Alpha-Q inserts did have a top lip when new.

They were supposed to be bonded in with the supplied epoxy once the steerer was cut to length. Either the original epoxy was not properly applied, not enough and/or it has dried out and cracked away from the steerer.

Regardless, if a long, sturdy hook tool (like the allen key you tried but maybe something longer and with more bite, like a real hook) does not work, and the 1" expander (if you have one) idea does not work, then try this:

Carefully cut through the insert alu wall (on two opposite sides if necessary) with a hacksaw blade, until you are able to split the cut sides away from the steerer wall and pry the insert pieces out with a fine screwdriver. The alu is soft, the walls of the insert are thin, and so it should be a simple, quick job. Just do not cut into the carbon steerer wall also.

Or, if you have expanding needle-nose pliers, you might be able to put enough leverage on the insert to start pulling it out.

Hank Scorpio
10-20-2018, 08:55 PM
Do you have a replacement sleeve for the fork? They seem to be in extremely short supply these days. At any rate usin the L shaped tool or taking a hack saw blade runs the risk of scoring and already thinly designed steerer tube. How about using a standard plug and epoxying it to the sleeve and then using a long bolt and extra spacers to extract the sleeve? That is how I removed one on an alpha-q I had before.

weisan
10-20-2018, 08:59 PM
Yep. I got an L shaped allen under there, but it wouldn’t budge.

That's because you only applied force one side and caused it to slant. Try doing it with two allens on opposite sides.

kppolich
10-20-2018, 09:30 PM
Yep. I got an L shaped allen under there, but it wouldn’t budge. The steerer is short enough that if I just tap it down the new insert won’t fit on top.

Can you get access from the underside of the fork? Something long and fairly rigid should reach and then tap it up and out the top.

bikinchris
10-20-2018, 10:04 PM
I can only think of a slide hammer with bearing puller.

kppolich
10-20-2018, 10:12 PM
I can only think of a slide hammer with bearing puller.

perhaps the OP could insert the starnut/compression plug and pull the sleeve out or back up?

FastforaSlowGuy
10-21-2018, 12:07 AM
I think i have a bearing puller. I’ll check. I’ve not thought of that one.

m_sasso
10-21-2018, 02:50 AM
Use a blind hole bearing puller, 2 min and it is removed.

oldpotatoe
10-21-2018, 06:00 AM
Yes, those TT Alpha-Q inserts did have a top lip when new.

I'm not sure that's what's in this fork. Those inserts were MUCH thinner walled and had a 1inch star-fangled-nut inserted in them. I think that's the remnants of perhaps some type of expander..but could be wrong..

Try to-3 spokes, jbends under lip, pull up.

muz
10-21-2018, 10:04 AM
I think removing the insert is not the problem; I would be looking for a new fork if it were me.

FastforaSlowGuy
10-21-2018, 10:10 AM
Why are people so down on the True Temper forks? I’ve always found them to be darn nice riding equipment.

weisan
10-21-2018, 10:13 AM
I’ve always found them to be darn nice riding equipment.

That's why we can't always believe or listen to other people's opinion. We have to learn to formulate our own.

C40_guy
10-21-2018, 10:35 AM
Why are people so down on the True Temper forks? I’ve always found them to be darn nice riding equipment.

Agreed. I have one on a road bike, a second on my Dream CX 'cross bike, and a third on my son's Trek CX bike.

I have a NOS 1" CX Alpha Q fork just waiting for the right 'cross bike to come along. Might end up putting it on my LiteSpeed Appalachian (which is not the above mentioned right 'cross bike, but...). Resisting the urge to put it on my Hot Tubes 'cross bike, which has a beautiful OEM steel fork. :)

When I go to set it up, I'm going to measure the steerer tube 3 times, then post my calculations here for review before I cut. I've been known to forget to add in the height of the stem when cutting (rare) steerer tubes... :(

zzy
10-21-2018, 10:51 AM
The insert is loose in that AQ fork, probably from an incorrect, unprepped install. Unless you can find a new one I would be looking for a new fork. The steerers were over-engineered on AQ/Cervelo forks, hence the glue in insert. You also want to be sure the insert (originally 10cm long) protrudes past the top headset bearing. They were easily the beefiest forks of their day, and a revelation compared to the flimsier raked blade forks everyone else was putting out. Their last fork, the GS-40 is pretty much the blueprint for most forks today, and is nearly 10 years old.

mktng
10-21-2018, 11:16 AM
Butterfly anchor. Drop down. Use the stem for leverage somehow. Slowly force the insert back out.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181021/222013f2a67fd2e1c2e46693ef828543.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Big Dan
10-21-2018, 11:54 AM
Not down on Alpha forks, had at least 3 of them.
For me old carbon forks should be replaced after a while.
You guys can do as you wish.

:cool: