PDA

View Full Version : Look threading

johnniecakes
10-20-2018, 11:45 AM
I have some Look Keo's that I would like to disassemble for maintenance. Is the threading different between the drive side and non drive side? If so which is "normal", (lefty loosie)

Thanks

aaronf
10-20-2018, 08:57 PM
Left pedal bearing carrier (captive nut that holds spindle to body) is right-hand thread.
Right pedal bearing carrier is left-hand thred.
Exactly opposite of spindle-to-crank interface.

John H.
10-20-2018, 09:08 PM
They do go backwards- Use a 19mm open ended wrench.
Also- Don't crank them down when re-assembling. Easy to crack the collar or body.
Use a drop or two of blue loctite on threads.

JanG
10-21-2018, 06:21 AM
Not sure if Look changed things recently, but my Look Keos require a different tool for the left and right hand sides to remove the bearing/axle assembly.

As mentioned, a 19mm open end wrench works on the left pedal. The right pedal requires either a special plastic tool from Look or the use of a box wrench (ring-spanner in the UK). Since the torque required is so low, I will sheepishly admit that I use the box end of a 3/4 inch wrench instead the Look tool.

johnniecakes
10-21-2018, 04:25 PM
Thanks everyone for the help and advice!

tuscanyswe
10-21-2018, 05:43 PM
Hah with the recent events on this board i thought this was about "thread locking".

Somehow that seemed more relevant to my Subconscious reading the header even tho im aware im on a cycling board .)