PDA

View Full Version : Frame suggestions: Steel / integrated lighting

Sparshall
10-20-2018, 10:35 AM
Hey all,

Need some help find this frame:
- steel frame (not a boat anchor would be cool)
- “all road/gravel” geometry
- 650bx47 clearance
- Carbon fork w internal dynamo routing & crown mount
- Internal routing for rear dynamo light
- Threaded BB

Riding: I ride about 5,000mi/year and almost all of it is gravel/crushed trail and in the early morning. Usually do a couple 2-3 day bikepacking adventures a year as well. Last 2 bikes: RideEndpoint Coffee Grinder and DB Haanjo Exp. Both are/were great. Really looking for an integrated/easy solution for my lights.

The new Mason InSearchOf is the only off the shelf bike I can find that fits this. I go back and forth on the aesthetics of that frame - sometimes I love it and sometimes I don’t.
The Bombtrack Audax is sweet too, but the fork doesn’t have a crown mount nor does it have dynamo routing.

Would prefer to not go the custom route to save $. I guess a Gunnar HyperX with a Rodeo Spork (or Fyxation Sparta FCR) could be done at a reasonable price.

Any other thoughts? Thanks!

ptourkin
10-20-2018, 10:43 AM
Looks like you are already Rodeo Labs aware and have ruled out the Flaanimal 4.1. Have you looked at Chumba? Bikepacking.com has a bit about the ti and steel models.

Bob Ross
10-20-2018, 11:16 AM
Check out post #1190 in Dave Kirk's Builder Spotlight thread!

unterhausen
10-20-2018, 11:48 AM
Any builder using the Spork 1.2 can have integrated dyno wiring in the fork. I'm not sure that there are many people integrating tail light wiring in an all-road bike outside of custom. Where would you put your tail light?

Sparshall
10-20-2018, 11:56 AM
Flaanimal: very cool indeed - really dig everything RodeoLabs. Would prefer a lower BB drop and “regular” rear dropouts and solid seatstay.

Chumba: cool as well. No internal routing.

Dave Kirk: Yes! Very cool! Would prefer non-custom and carbon fork for weight savings.

Tail light routing: my thought is if there is an internal dropper routing or any routing really, I should be able to take the rear wire through the frame and out either the back of the top tube, bottom of seat tube (a la FD di2 wiring) or even out the seatpost( maybe?)

Thanks for the responses thus far!

p nut
10-20-2018, 07:29 PM
Nothing much to add except two things:

Mason InSearchOf frame: $2k??!!

You’re getting too niche for production. I’d spend a little more and get custom and be happy. There are budget customs as well. I.e. Waltworks has their frame for $1,600. http://waltworks.com/waltworks-pricing/

jtakeda
10-20-2018, 07:37 PM
This almost checks all your boxes. Its going to be pretty tough to get them all (im curious if you find something that does.)

https://northercycles.squarespace.com/jeff-lyon-colaboration/

Need some help find this frame:
- steel frame (not a boat anchor would be cool) CHECK
- “all road/gravel” geometry CHECK
- 650bx47 clearance CHECK
- Carbon fork w internal dynamo routing & crown mount----Close
- Internal routing for rear dynamo light CHECK
- Threaded BB CHECK

Its got everything except the carbon fork--but the included steel fork is dynamo ready. I suppose you could add the carbon fork later

CNY rider
10-21-2018, 07:41 AM
If you do go custom go north of the border.
This bicycle is exactly what Mariposa does so well.

Sparshall
10-21-2018, 03:25 PM
Unfortunate custom is probably my only real route. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something. Stumbled upon this today...pretty sweet, but pricey: https://wittson.com/custom-titanium-gravel-bicycle-with-sram-cx1-groupset-white-industries-g30-crankset

Zee
10-21-2018, 03:56 PM
100% read a lot of your post and thought the coffee grinder had to be close only to come back and read it was one of previous bikes!

fogrider
10-21-2018, 04:21 PM
I have to say, Paul at Rock Lobster can build you a great custom bike for not much more than production prices! http://rocklobstershop.blogspot.com/
His website is not up to date with options, but he updates his blog and its best to give him a call.