PDA

View Full Version : How do you dull the shine of a chrome stem?

Jeff Weir
10-19-2018, 04:43 PM
I'm looking at a new stem that's chromed. I was wondering if it is possible to remove the mirror like finish. Is it even worth the trouble?
Thanks in advance!

zmudshark
10-19-2018, 04:49 PM
I'm looking at a new stem that's chromed. I was wondering if it is possible to remove the mirror like finish. Is it even worth the trouble?
Thanks in advance!
2000 - 4000 grit wet/dry sandpaper used with oil, very gently. Chrome is microns thin. Scotchbrite pads may work, too. I prefer wet sandpaper and an extremely light touch.

Ken Robb
10-19-2018, 06:49 PM
If you remove chrome won't you be left with rust-prone steel?

Cicli
10-19-2018, 07:03 PM
Spray it with a matte clear.

zmudshark
10-19-2018, 07:06 PM
If you remove chrome won't you be left with rust-prone steel?

Yes.

Ken Robb
10-19-2018, 08:35 PM
I would just be happy with chrome rather than the alternatives mentioned thus far.

Dave
10-20-2018, 10:20 AM
Good chrome has 3 layers - copper first, then nickel, then the chrome. The nickel is generally the thickest.

Chrome is easily removed with reverse current cleaning in an alkaline solution, but stripping the nickel and copper requires nasty chemicals.

Blue Jays
10-20-2018, 10:29 AM
Keep chrome stem chrome for future use on a different build.
Simply purchase a brushed / matte stem for this application.
One will always find a use for a clean and undamaged stem.

bart998
10-20-2018, 03:24 PM
Try using a wire wheel on a drill for a brushed finish.

rccardr
10-20-2018, 03:29 PM
Chromed what, steel?
What kind of new stem is made of steel instead of lighter alloy?
Are you sure it isn't polished and then clear anodized?

Dino Suegiù
10-20-2018, 05:22 PM
It does seem that it would not be worth the effort to take good chrome off a perfectly good stem, when (unless this particular stem is really special) there are likely many good matte, brushed, or even painted replacement options available.

Chromed what, steel?
What kind of new stem is made of steel instead of lighter alloy?
Are you sure it isn't polished and then clear anodized?
Some current Nitto, Velo Orange, and other stems are still CrMo + chrome finish.

ultraman6970
10-20-2018, 08:00 PM
IMO probably will be better just get the stem in the color you want and let the chrome one go?

rccardr
10-20-2018, 08:44 PM
Some current Nitto, Velo Orange, and other stems are still CrMo + chrome finish.

Did not know that. And I guess some current builders are also working in steel when they do custom stems for customers.

I just went through the shop downstairs and checked stem after stem with a magnet. At least half of them - if not more- are Nitto, some Cinelli, even a few threadless. At least a handful lf them have been purchased over the past several years. None of them were steel, but then I gave up after about 15 or so.

Still I suppose not a representative sample, so maybe the OP can give us some more details or a picture of the stem in question...

Spaghetti Legs
10-20-2018, 09:25 PM
I agree. Odds are much higher that it’s polished anodized aluminum, in which case sand off the anodizing and let “age” a little to dull it up. If you want it shiny again, just polish.

m_sasso
10-21-2018, 06:08 PM
I agree. Odds are much higher that it’s polished anodized aluminum, in which case sand off the anodizing and let “age” a little to dull it up. If you want it shiny again, just polish.

Forget sanding, purchase some "Easy Off" oven cleaner, spray it down outdoors, let it sit for 5 min, rinse it off with the hose and you will have your aged de-anodized stem in one quick go.

Hindmost
10-21-2018, 08:06 PM
Chrome is a very hard surface (that's why it's so durable) and unlike many other metal surfaces doesn't respond well to buffing or brushing or sanding. It can be scratched with abrasives but the resulting finish is not very attractive.