PDA

View Full Version : OT-iPhone 5c memory upgrade??

oldpotatoe
10-18-2018, 02:10 PM
Calling all iPhone nerds.....
Wife’s has 16g, possible to upgrade it to 32g?

kppolich
10-18-2018, 02:13 PM
Calling all iPhone nerds.....
Wife’s has 16g, possible to upgrade it to 32g?

That's a no.

Unless you want to store stuff on dropbox, icloud, etc.

No extra card can be added to an iPhone to expand internal memory.

Dino Suegiù
10-18-2018, 02:18 PM
Correct.

It is not possible to add memory.

oldpotatoe
10-18-2018, 02:19 PM
That's a no.

Unless you want to store stuff on dropbox, icloud, etc.

No extra card can be added to an iPhone to expand internal memory.

Bummer..wife, with her scads of photos and videos, gets the ‘running low on memory’, all the time. Yes, I download to external hard drive and she eventually erases but. Plus she wants the 5 size, big nyet to newer, bigger phones.
Thanks

Dino Suegiù
10-18-2018, 02:28 PM
Bummer..wife, with her scads of photos and videos, gets the ‘running low on memory’, all the time. Yes, I download to external hard drive and she eventually erases but. Plus she wants the 5 size, big nyet to newer, bigger phones.
Thanks

Saving to EHD + even iCloud, Dropbox, etc. is critical especially for personal stuff like family photo, etc.

16gb (claimed; it is really more like 12) is very little storage these days. Larger file photos, videos, iTunes, etc.; 16gb is now all gone very quickly.

I agree with your wife regarding the "5" size, and I do not like the larger phones either.

So, if she wants that format/look/Apple os with more storage on a phone itself, the only options now are NOS, refurnbished, or maybe mint, clean iPhone 5C, 5S, or SE (SE is great) with 32, 64, or even 128gb.

yinzerniner
10-18-2018, 02:30 PM
Thanks

Easier path would be to find a refurbished iPhone 5S with lots of memory for something like $100-150 and use the "restore" function in iTunes to get the new phone up and running.

iPhone storage has always been non-user upgradeable.

tuscanyswe
10-18-2018, 02:31 PM
The Iphone SE is the same size as the 5. Its basicly a very much upgraded version of the 5c i would say. Not that expensive and comes in a 64g (i think) even if needed.

oldpotatoe
10-18-2018, 02:34 PM
Easier path would be to find a refurbished iPhone 5S with lots of memory for something like $100-150 and use the "restore" function in iTunes to get the new phone up and running.

iPhone storage has always been non-user upgradeable.

Yup, that’s the direction...maybe Apple refurbed iPhone ‘5’...I’m a little Leary of stuff on eBay, etc. thanks again to the forum brain trust...

saab2000
10-18-2018, 02:37 PM
The Iphone SE is the same size as the 5. Its basicly a very much upgraded version of the 5c i would say. Not that expensive and comes in a 64g (i think) even if needed.

Apple doesn't sell this one anymore.

OP - Time to get Wifey a new phone. The 5C was a total dog in the Apple universe. And when you get her a new phone get lots of memory. I've always bought the most memory available and I've never been sorry. Apps take up a lot of space.

Pony up, Buttercup! Get her an 8! It's probably the last one with a home button.

tuscanyswe
10-18-2018, 03:00 PM

OP - Time to get Wifey a new phone. The 5C was a total dog in the Apple universe. And when you get her a new phone get lots of memory. I've always bought the most memory available and I've never been sorry. Apps take up a lot of space.

Pony up, Buttercup! Get her an 8! It's probably the last one with a home button.

aha thought it was since its available in a lot of places around here still (sweden tho) and not a bad option imo for someone not needing the latest n greatest.

Dino Suegiù
10-18-2018, 03:00 PM
Yup, that’s the direction...maybe Apple refurbed iPhone ‘5’...I’m a little Leary of stuff on eBay, etc. thanks again to the forum brain trust...

Yes, just do that. iPhone SE. 32gb, but better for not much more money get 64 or even 128. Then you are set.

The order, also in terms of quality, was 5C to 5S to SE. Those 3 models are all the same size, so any cases, etc. will fit them all, but the SE was by far the best of the 3.

Also, SE was the most recent discontinued, which was made "official" (no real announcement) when the new "X" (stands for "crazy $$$") phones were released a few weeks ago. So, hopefully there should still be some Apple-refurbished or even NOS iPhone SE around if you look around.

I would be leery of most eBay iPhones too, but you might get lucky there. Wherever you buy, if the phone is refurbished, etc., definitely ensure that the phone is ready for new activation, that is: a) unlocked or compatible with your current carrier and b) with clean IMEI/ESN numbers.

yinzerniner
10-18-2018, 03:01 PM

The last release with the physical, mechanical home button was the 6S, which also had the fingerprint reader.

IMO the S versions were always the way to go with iPhone releases - all the earlier physical faults are usually figured out by then, and the innards are always better.

And yes, purchasing as much memory as you can afford on an iPhone is the best policy but there's a few tricks here and there that go a long way for saving space like not taking full res images if not needed, removing downloaded content from streaming sites, clearing internet cache, etc.

oldpotatoe
10-18-2018, 03:03 PM

See ‘size’ above...no big phones, even the smaller ones..

saab2000
10-18-2018, 03:05 PM

Look for an iPhone SE in this case. Same size but way better than the 5C.

Dino Suegiù
10-18-2018, 03:06 PM

SE.

64 or 128gb.

Apple-refurbished or NOS-guaranteed.

You will not get Apple warranties on these, of course, but the SE is a perfect phone for your wife's needs, far better than her old 5C.

saab2000
10-18-2018, 03:08 PM
SE.

64 or 128gb.

Apple-refurbished or NOS-guaranteed.

You will not get Apple warranties on these, of course, but the SE is a perfect phone for your wife's needs, far better than her old 5C.

Agree 100%.

p nut
10-18-2018, 03:08 PM
Look for an iPhone SE in this case. Same size but way better than the 5C.

I have an SE. It's been my favorite phone to date. I was very disappointed the much rumored SE 2 did not make it into production. If only Jobs were still alive......

saab2000
10-18-2018, 03:24 PM
I have an SE. It's been my favorite phone to date. I was very disappointed the much rumored SE 2 did not make it into production. If only Jobs were still alive......

I too was hoping for an SE 2. I currently have the iPhone X, which I'm used to now but haven't loved. My best-ever phone was my 5S.

My preferred phone size is the 5 size as well. I actually think Apple deliberately didn't make one because they knew it would take sales from their much more expensive phones, which cost much more and honestly don't do all that much more. For example, my X is fundamentally, for my usage, barely different from my 5S. It's just bigger and cost a lot more money. The camera is much better I'll concede.

gt88
10-18-2018, 03:44 PM
I just switch from an SE 64GB GSM Unlocked and have it available for sale. Hit me up if you want to try it out.

oldpotatoe
10-18-2018, 03:54 PM
I just switch from an SE 64GB GSM Unlocked and have it available for sale. Hit me up if you want to try it out.

Color? GSM?

fourspin
10-18-2018, 03:57 PM
I am dealing with this too, but at the other end of the spectrum. My wife has a 256GB X and she's nearly out of storage (37,000 photos/videos and counting).

I pay for storage on iCloud and Google Storage. I haven''t set her up on iCloud backups yet because she is syncing some old photos from our PC to her phone, and you can't do that and also use iCloud - it's one or the other. So I'm trying to figure out how to manage that.

I started backing up her photos using Google Photos app the other night. It's about halfway done. Google Photos does prompt you that it can help you manage storage on your iPhone after the photos are backed up. Has anyone tried this? Does it simply go through and delete photos on your phone once they are safely backed up to Google Storage?

gt88
10-18-2018, 04:32 PM
Color? GSM?

Phone is Space Grey and factory unlocked for GSM networks (I was using T Mobile). Send me a PM if I can answer more questions. Thanks.

deechee
10-18-2018, 09:37 PM
I'm kind of surprised carriers don't still have the SE for you. For instance, in Canada, Koodo which is a low cost version of Bell still has the phone for sale online, with a pretty good discount too. I'm debating picking one up for my mom. But yeah, take a look at those shopping mall kiosks.

It's a great phone and my wife still loves hers despite the cracked screen and dying battery. She has applecare so she's been waiting for the end of coverage to fix it.

slowpoke
10-18-2018, 10:15 PM
if i were you, i would buy gt88's 64GB SE, and if the battery is old, swap it out for $29 at Apple (until the end of this year).

FlashUNC
10-18-2018, 10:31 PM
Cloud storage would do wonders.

RFC
10-18-2018, 10:40 PM
This thread is very timely. I have a 5s and have no desire to upgrade, even though I've bought my family 6 and 7 models. I like the size, plus, in it's bulletproof case, it has survived a variety of calamities, including falling out of my bike bag and bouncing down the street at 20mph, with no damage.

But the battery is losing it's zest. Thus my questions:

1) Will Apple replace the battery on this older model?

2) It is a 16 gb. Can the memory be upgraded?

Thanks!

wombatspeed
10-18-2018, 10:47 PM
Hi RFC. Typing this from my 5s that I just updated to iOS 12. I too have the lowly 16gb version, so have to be frugal with apps. No way to increase storage but iOS 12 seems more efficient and I have a bit more available memory now.

As for the battery: apple i believe does not offer the cheap battery replacement deal for any pre 6 model, so not ours. I ended up buying one of those diy battery replacement kits and it was not that hard with YouTube instructions. The one part to watch out for is loosening the glue of the battery upon removal.
With the new battery and iOS 12 my 5s will run for a good while longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kppolich
10-18-2018, 10:48 PM
This thread is very timely. I have a 5s and have no desire to upgrade, even though I've bought my family 6 and 7 models. I like the size, plus, in it's bulletproof case, it has survived a variety of calamities, including falling out of my bike bag and bouncing down the street at 20mph, with no damage.

But the battery is losing it's zest. Thus my questions:

1) Will Apple replace the battery on this older model?

2) It is a 16 gb. Can the memory be upgraded?

Thanks!

Same story for you, sir.

Find an iPhone SE 64GB for cheap and you can use your same case. You'll enjoy a nice bump in performance and battery life as well.

New SE's can be had for cheap through your carrier, or even deeper discounts at swappa.com

https://swappa.com/buy/apple-iphone-se

Tony T
10-19-2018, 03:03 AM
For an SE, try eBay and filter for 'new' and your carrier

oldpotatoe
10-19-2018, 06:29 AM
Phone is Space Grey and factory unlocked for GSM networks (I was using T Mobile). Send me a PM if I can answer more questions. Thanks.

Thanks for the offer but wifey, bless her heart, wants a rose gold one..some 'deals' for new in unopened box on fleabay..

Geeheeb
10-19-2018, 06:48 AM
Same story for you, sir.

Find an iPhone SE 64GB for cheap and you can use your same case. You'll enjoy a nice bump in performance and battery life as well.

New SE's can be had for cheap through your carrier, or even deeper discounts at swappa.com

https://swappa.com/buy/apple-iphone-se

I have have good experiences buying from this site. Yes, these phones are used but each listing is approved by a human. Set the filters to the color + size you want and mint condition, and look for a seller with feedback greater than zero.

JAGI410
10-19-2018, 08:02 AM
I just sold off all of my Apple stuff (iphone 7, 6S, Watch, Ipad) on Swappa.com, it was pretty hassle free, and most everything sold within 2 days. I'd look there for an older phone!

roguedog
10-19-2018, 08:43 AM
Hey OP, when I want/need to buy new phone or tablets, the first place I check is swappa.com. I got wind of them from a geeky forum. I've had good luck with them and I like how they offer you tools to verify that the ESN is clean. Also seems to be a bit more controls (to my eye) around sellers.

Still caveat emptor and all that but it's where I go first vs ebay.

Here's the link to the 5SE area (https://swappa.com/buy/apple-iphone-se). Not sure which carrier but will let you click on down from here. Good luck.

Tony T
10-19-2018, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the offer but wifey, bless her heart, wants a rose gold one..some 'deals' for new in unopened box on fleabay..

Stick with the one's that have an inventory and have sold a bit already.
Also, before you open the box, check the SIM number (on the box, https://www.imei.info/check-warranty-unlock/) before you open it (can't see it on eBay), and if used, return.

gt88
10-19-2018, 09:04 AM

Happy wife, happy life! I hope she enjoys the new phone. And another vote for Swappa too. I have bought and sold on there and have a better impression of it that eBay, FWIW.

zlin
10-19-2018, 09:14 AM
When you get the new phone, use google photos or Dropbox to back up those photos automatically when she’s back on WiFi.

Actually, back up to both before you get he new one set up and she’ll have access to all the old stuff and room for new.

Seramount
10-19-2018, 09:55 AM
just retired my ancient 5, thought I wanted to get a 5 SE, but a phone-savvy buddy convinced me to get a 6S instead...

glad I listened...went to Swappa and scored a 'mint' one for under $200.

phone arrived in flawless condition. good site...

deechee
10-19-2018, 10:16 AM
Stick with the one's that have an inventory and have sold a bit already.
Also, before you open the box, check the SIM number (on the box, https://www.imei.info/check-warranty-unlock/) before you open it (can't see it on eBay), and if used, return.

Not really sure what you're saying here - SIM's are IMSI's (mobile subscriber id) whereas IMEIs are hardware ids. There are tons of apps to pull IMEI - and I think there's a screen on the iphone Settings menu too. Don't trust what's written on a box or on a sticker.

If you're wondering if its locked or not, Canadian phones are not allowed to be locked to a carrier since Dec 2017 so just pick one up with a Canadian address.

p nut
10-19-2018, 11:01 AM
Rose gold, black, white.......color doesn't matter. Most people just cover it up with a case anyway! Get her a rose gold case instead. :)

oldpotatoe
10-19-2018, 01:21 PM
Rose gold, black, white.......color doesn't matter. Most people just cover it up with a case anyway! Get her a rose gold case instead. :)

She wants a clear case...see ‘happy wife’ above... gonna go to a good feedback eBay guy, mostly because the $ is about the same as swappa but the phone is new, never opened. Teeny return policy but return policy nonetheless.

Thanks for all the great info tho.

Dino Suegiù
10-19-2018, 01:35 PM
^
I am looking for a SE too, and looked at swappa also, from this thread. It seems OK, but hard to know since I never tried it before.

Does anyone know if a seller states "Apple Refurbished" on swappa or eBay, did Apple actually do that refurbishment? With some certificate or even warranty? The iPhone sellers (99.9% of those I wrote to) on eBay never reply to questions. It is odd.

Also, while of course a 30-day eBay return policy is good, free, better than "No Returns Allowed", but are those +/- $40 2-year "Square Trade" insurance policies on eBay worth it, for a phone that is no longer in production?

Tony T
10-20-2018, 10:38 AM
Not really sure what you're saying here - SIM's are IMSI's (mobile subscriber id) whereas IMEIs are hardware ids. There are tons of apps to pull IMEI - and I think there's a screen on the iphone Settings menu too. Don't trust what's written on a box or on a sticker.

If you're wondering if its locked or not, Canadian phones are not allowed to be locked to a carrier since Dec 2017 so just pick one up with a Canadian address.

Yes, meant IMEI.
Reason I suggested checking before opening a sealed eBay purchase is because if, for example, a Sprint Locked iPhone was purchased and a T-Mobile was received, then send back to eBay seller for a refund (might be a refund issue if the box is opened)

kppolich
10-20-2018, 10:43 AM
^
I am looking for a SE too, and looked at swappa also, from this thread. It seems OK, but hard to know since I never tried it before.

Does anyone know if a seller states "Apple Refurbished" on swappa or eBay, did Apple actually do that refurbishment? With some certificate or even warranty? The iPhone sellers (99.9% of those I wrote to) on eBay never reply to questions. It is odd.

Also, while of course a 30-day eBay return policy is good, free, better than "No Returns Allowed", but are those +/- $40 2-year "Square Trade" insurance policies on eBay worth it, for a phone that is no longer in production?

Apple Refurb will be from the seller taking it in and apple providing them with a replacement for whatever reason.

You should pass on the square trade insurance and keep the $40 for a case or save it for buying your next phone.