PDA

View Full Version : Food Topic: Fresh Steamers...prep sugestions?

William
11-10-2006, 12:27 PM
So I'm tweaking the brakes on the Effin Cross Bike before I'm heading out to ride on this beautiful (unusual) sunny 70 degree day here in New England when a friend drops by and gives me a big bag of fresh Steamers (Clams). I know what the William Household is having for dinner tonight. :D

So that got me to wondering how I might prepare them. "Ask my forum buddies" I thought! :beer:

So, any of my buddies (and even if you think I'm a twit, please share) here have suggestions/recipes for preparing a good tasty meal with fresh Steamers?

William

PS: I'm off!! :banana:

Doc Hollywood
11-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Fresh, Screened Sea Water. Enough to put about about 1 inch of water in the bottom of big Kettle/Lobster pot.

1 Bottle/Can of Beer.

Pour Beer into sea water. Bring to a boil. Load clams in water. Put lid on. Boil for 3 to 5 minutes or until clams start to open up. Melt butter in the meantime.

Once clams are open, remove from water, drain residual water, put in a bowl. Serve. Remove clam from shell, dunk in butter, put in mouth. Enjoy.

Doc

NOTE: Don't eat clams that don't open on their own. They were dead before cooking. Pre-dead clams = very upset tummy.

Kevan
11-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Cooking Steamer Clams
Add 2 inches of water and/or beer to pot. Yes, only 2 inches because you want to "steam" the clams, not boil the clams.
Add half an onion, bay leaf, peppercorn or other herbs for flavor.
Bring to boil then add clams. Discard any broken clams before cooking.
Steam clams for 6 - 10 minutes until they all open fully. Do not eat the clams that do not open.
Remove clams and strain broth into individual bowls with 1/2 teaspoon butter to dip the clams in.
When eating, remove from shell and pull the membrane off (it's located around the "neck" aka "foot"). It's like taking a sock off your foot.

old_school
11-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Kevan has the idea ... you are steaming, not boiling them. Personally, I would skip the seasonings, though beer is always good :)

Be sure to soak the clams before cooking to remove excess sand. Fill you sink with cold water, add the clams, swish a few times, allow to soak for a bit, and repeat. Be sure to discard any that float.

Of course, if you are feeling lazy, you can always visit me:
www.WeDigClams.com (http://wedigclams.com)

:beer:

Archibald
11-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Would those be "Cleveland Steamers"?

:banana:

Bradford
11-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Put wine in for muscles, but any self-respecting Yankee just slaps 'em in a little water, steams the little buggers open, and drags 'em through a little steaming water and butter before eating.

If you must, beer on the side. :beer:

Steamers are one of the things I really miss about New England.

Bruce K
11-10-2006, 02:06 PM
My wife follows Doc Hollywodd KISS recipe - screened seawater and beer.

Don't forget to soak them in a sink full of water with some corn mealthrown in to get them to open and spit out some of their junk, then rinse THOROUGHLY before steaming.

BK

Kevan
11-10-2006, 02:21 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quahog

go figure.

OldDog
11-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Of course, if you are feeling lazy, you can always visit me:
www.WeDigClams.com (http://wedigclams.com)

:beer:

Looks like some great recipes - I need to pay ya'll a visit or two!

old_school
11-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Thanks, it is always great to meet forum members.
Be sure to ask for Mark.

William
11-10-2006, 04:28 PM
Thank you for the tips and links friends. :cool:

Cooking them up as I type.

William

PS: Great ride today!

Ginger
11-10-2006, 04:54 PM
OMG They ATE WILLIAM!

inGobwetrust
11-10-2006, 10:51 PM
I don't mean to offend anyone who offered advice but these are steamers, not hard-shelled clams. They don't open when cooked like littlenecks or cherrystones. The recipes you offered are still going to produce delicious clams but if you cook them 'til they open you are going to wait a LONG time! Steeamrs found here in New England don't open when cooked, you generally are okay if they aren't broken prior to cooking as long as they are fresh and have been handled properly. We have hard-shelled clams too but these aren't that variety.

Bruce K
11-11-2006, 06:22 AM
IGWT:

That's why you do the trick with the corn meal.

Works like a charm.

BK

William
11-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Ginger: I won! :D

I prepped & cooked them like the majority suggested and they opened quickly and tasted great! I poured a bottle of Heffiweizen (sp?) in as well and that slight hint of lemon taste came through. :beer:

Old_School: Next time I'm up your way I'm stopping by to party with you!! Well, eat some good food at least. ;)

William