PDA

View Full Version : OT: Doodles

skiezo
10-17-2018, 08:12 PM
So we have been dogless for a few years now and the wifey is ready for another family member. She is really into the different doodle breeds.
Me, I am a sporting dog guy. I have had a couple pairs of german shorthairs,springer spaniels and a pair of english setters. All of these were hunting dogs and I love to watch them work the field.
Well my killing day are over so just need a family pet.
Does anyone have any experience with these designer crosses? I am partial to the irish doodle as I love setters but any of the golden,lab or mini doodles.
Let me hear your experience.

Ken Robb
10-17-2018, 08:29 PM
I have met a couple of cool labradoodles. OTOH a full size poodle is a neat sporting dog, easy to train and they don't shed. I just would have to avoid the weird classic groomers' delight and keep the dog in a puppy cut forever.

One of our two dogs now is a malti-poo. A really fun dog but at 13 pounds probably a bit smaller than you have in mind. :)

zlin
10-17-2018, 08:31 PM
I have a 5yr old Goldendoodle. He’s been wonderful - playful, loving, and protective when someone rings the doorbell. He’s patient with our 7 mo old getting 99% of the attention and is eager to please and train. He is very social and great with people yet ok to lounge which is what he does while we’re gone.

No shedding, expensive haircuts. He’s 68lbs, standard poodle dad, golden mom. He’s great!

Go for it!

ls1togo
10-17-2018, 08:35 PM
We have a mini Golden Doodle, not too small, about 37 pounds. My wife wanted a toy but this female was offered to us by the breeder and we decided not to wait. Abigail is now about two years old and what a great dog!!..somewhat stocky like a Golden Retriever and there's not a day that goes by that she doesn't amaze us with how smart she is (the poodle in her) and what a great disposition!...she's beautiful, furry, curly and best of all, a non shedding coat!!
We've had Saint Bernard's, German Shepherd's, Lab's and a Cocker..this dog is easily the best pet yet!...
You won't regret whatever mix you get, they seem to be the best of both breeds
with a summer haircut.....

jtakeda
10-17-2018, 08:40 PM
I pet sit a golden doodle 2-3 times a year for 1-2 weeks at a time. While I'm not the primary owner I've watched this dog close to 6 times so she knows who I am.

The dog is "great". Very easy going-friendly- good with kids.

EXTREMELY STUBBORN.

Now I dont know if its this specific dog//if it hasnt been trained properly//if maybe it just doesnt like me or respect me// but this dog does whatever the **** it wants and weighs 90 lbs so its not like I can really force it to do something it doesnt want to do.

For reference --I'm going to take the dog on a walk to do its morning biz and go out--let it off the leash in a dog park and poof--dog is gone--wont listen to any commands (I was told this is fairly normal and to always keep her on leash).

Anyway--I prefer hounds myself--they might have their downsides but at least theyre super food motivated and I think theyre easier to train. Im biased--Ive had hounds all my life and am used to the breed so maybe I just dont understand this specific doodle but sheesh--this dog didnt want to walk and refused to poop.

GScot
10-17-2018, 10:20 PM
Cody the Airedoodle just turned 12 and has been a blast the whole time. He still needs his daily exercise and can run for miles if we don't go too frequently. 55 pounds and he has poodle hair so he gets regular haircuts. He is as smart and clever as a poodle and terrier combined, and that has made him a blast. Was easy to train and he fully respects all of the rules, at least 95% of the time which is why dogs need a leash.

Great traveler and we even hunted a little when he was younger. I previously had a German Shorthair that was a good pheasant dog. Cody was good at ground game like rabbits and even flushing quail, besides the nose for it and retriever qualities of a poodle he did well because he would pay attention to me and work on hand directions and verbal commands.

I've never come across another Airedale Standard Poodle mix but they're perfect if you ask me. We adopted him from a shelter and the breeder later found us so we got his back story. The breeder had raised and trained Airedales for search & rescue or search and recovery for years and ended up with a Standard Poodle male so added doodles to her program. Cody and a litter mate were trained for recovery and donated to a missing person case, after they did their job the family turned the dogs into a shelter. He was messed up after that experience but patience and a stable routine helped him become a wonderful companion.

ultraman6970
10-18-2018, 12:04 AM
We got 2 poddles many years ago in my country, I do agree, stubborn as hell when they want to, ours were toy size. Now that i know more about dogs probably i would have trained those 2 differently. THe male lived like 15 years... insanely old. Poodle IMO pretty much goes with one owner and that owner is the one that can do what ever they want with them, the rest of the family from what I noticed is a big F--u! Ours had a bad temper that you cant imagine, he did not like you at the 1st second you were toasted.

One of our dogs was put down and we are now in the countdown to see how much his brother will last, he started doing weird stuff of old dogs now, meanwhile Im looking round and a couple of doodle's caught my eye... specially because of the fur. Easier to keep the house clean when a dog doesnt have 3 coats of hair :/

BikeNY
10-18-2018, 07:28 AM
Rescue!

Gummee
10-18-2018, 09:13 AM
It seems there are 2 kinds of Goldens: the smarter than both little brothers put together' kind like our old dog, and the 'dumber'n a box of rocks' kind.

I much prefer to have a smart dog. Makes things much easier.

Poodles are typically smart dogs (FWI can tell) so a smart poodle and a smart golden would make a fantastic dog

M

paredown
10-18-2018, 10:06 AM
I was the neighborhood walker for a friends Labradoodle--she was a beautiful smart dog (also had been mistreated when young so she didn't trust men much).

Picture of me--Bella on the left, Mayzey (full size poodle on right).

If she was typical, then I would go for it!

alancw3
10-18-2018, 10:09 AM
goldendoodles are wonderful dogs. my daughter has one and truth be told probably the best all around dog. wait, just so you know i come from a family that always had poodles. as an avid small game hunter i can say there is no better hunting/sporting dog than a standard poodle. smarts and the ability to swim like a fish with his webbed feet. others have said and i agree a poodle is basically a one person dog. sure he will tolerant a family but only be true to one person imho. whereas a goldendoodle is more a family dog. stubborn? yep that comes from the poodle. basically they do what they want, but that being said, again imho the poodle is the smartest dog there is. so if you want a family friendly dog get a goldendoodle, if a sporting game dog that is somewhat aluf and standoffish a standard poodle may fit the bill.

as a sidebar my daughter has been very active in goldendoodle rescue both her doodles have come from there. if you are interested in a doodle please let me know and i will give you her contact info.

Tim Porter
10-18-2018, 10:24 AM
We love our doodles--best dogs ever. These are goldendoodles, btw.

Daisy and Stanley:

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a583/porterphoto1/IMG_3760_zpsuzwjxnkj.jpg

Ozz
10-18-2018, 10:52 AM
Just a thought....there are plenty of dogs that need to be rescued from shelters, and lots of poodle-mixes to be had...

We rescued (what appears to be) a schnauzer-poodle mix (schnoodle) about 4 yrs ago....13 lbs and sweetest dog ever...see picture

I grew up with hunting dogs as well (goldens and springers) and love them, but I do not miss the hair all over the house one bit.

Any "sporting" dog (including golden/lab-doodle mixes) is also going to need lots of attention and exercise to keep it happy....home-alone is a recipe for disaster, so unless you work from home, factor in the cost of a dog walker too.

That's my $0.02.....

Enjoy the process....dogs are a great addition to the family!

d_douglas
10-18-2018, 12:47 PM
We doggy-share with our neighbours down the street (well, its their dog, but we have young kids who pine for a dog that we cant have) and Lizzie happens to be a Labradoodle.

Not my idea of a beautiful dog by any means, but she has the perfect personality - cheery, energetic, PERFECT with kids. This is the dog that allowed my daughter to get over her fear of dogs. Lizzie occasionally sleeps over and my daughter begs to let the dog sleep on her bed :)

Gummee
10-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Just a thought....there are plenty of dogs that need to be rescued from shelters, and lots of poodle-mixes to be had...

We rescued (what appears to be) a schnauzer-poodle mix (schnoodle) about 4 yrs ago....13 lbs and sweetest dog ever...see picture

I grew up with hunting dogs as well (goldens and springers) and love them, but I do not miss the hair all over the house one bit.

Any "sporting" dog (including golden/lab-doodle mixes) is also going to need lots of attention and exercise to keep it happy....home-alone is a recipe for disaster, so unless you work from home, factor in the cost of a dog walker too.

That's my $0.02.....

Enjoy the process....dogs are a great addition to the family!

You ain't seen nuthin till you've owned a Border Collie. Good thing I worked from home and even then...

M

Ozz
10-18-2018, 01:21 PM
You ain't seen nuthin till you've owned a Border Collie. Good thing I worked from home and even then...

M

yes....I've had friends with Border Collies.....eventually wishing they had a herd of sheep too!:cool:

skiezo
10-18-2018, 02:12 PM
as a sidebar my daughter has been very active in goldendoodle rescue both her doodles have come from there. if you are interested in a doodle please let me know and i will give you her contact info.

You got a PM in this.

I would love to find a doodle type to rescue but there does not seem to be many around. I am sure that there are some but not many due to the of popularity of these crosses.

Gummee
10-18-2018, 03:50 PM
yes....I've had friends with Border Collies.....eventually wishing they had a herd of sheep too!:cool:

Frisbee
Ball
run

repeat

M

C40_guy
10-19-2018, 10:59 AM
Mix between bichon and Cavalier King Charles.

Professional lap dog, opinionated, smart, cuddly, stubborn.

Did I say stubborn. ;)

Typically 15 lbs, ish. Our dog is 26 lbs...

GregL
10-19-2018, 11:33 AM
As an alternate to a doodle, I can't say enough good things about this furry knucklehead. Max is a Soft-coated Wheaten terrier. He's the smartest dog our family has ever... owned? You don't really own a terrier, they become a part of your family. Max is great with kids (since he really is a big, furry kid), loves outdoor activities, yet is also very good indoors and while traveling. He's big by Wheaten standards, weighing in at 55 lbs. of solid muscle. He can hike all day long, yet is the first family member asleep in the evenings and is happy to sleep in on weekends too. He does need daily activity/stimulation, but it's at a very reasonable level. One good walk or a few sessions in the yard chasing a ball keep him fit. The stimulation part just requires a conversation with him. Tell him to get a specific toy and he will rummage through the basket to bring you just what you asked for.

Downsides: no shedding means monthly haircuts. I groom him myself since it's both cheaper and easier to schedule. Initial training takes a lot of effort. He's incredibly smart, so you really have to teach him why he should listen to you. Reward-based training is the only thing that gets through to a terrier. Once trained, his incredible memory means nothing is forgotten. I find that I don't have to command him, I just have a conversation with him. His vocabulary is amazing. Being a terrier, he has an intense prey drive. A cat, rabbit, or guinea pig would not be safe in our house. Anything small and furry is prey. I have to clear our yard of all small creatures before I can let him out. He's been skunked three times due to his persistence!

All this being said, he's the smartest, most loving and obedient dog I have ever had the privilege of being closely associated with. Nothing like coming home to a "Wheaten greetin'."

skiezo
10-19-2018, 04:39 PM
That is one of the breeds that we have considered. We have talked and met with some breeders in the past year.
We also have two cats and there prey drive is pretty high and there grooming needs tend to also be high.
I am going to take a 3 hour drive and look at a litter of irish doodles this weekend. They have both irish doodles as well as standard poodles.
They even have a red standard that looks spectacular.
I am not in a huge hurry and will find our new fur baby one of these days.

makoti
10-19-2018, 05:23 PM
Rescue!

Agreed. Here's a few places to start...
https://doodlekisses.com/labradoodle-rescue
https://www.facebook.com/IDOG.Rescue/

djg21
10-19-2018, 05:41 PM
You can have your sporting dog and a great family pet.

One of mine is competing in “dock diving” next season. He’s being sponsored by my LBS, and we’re having a Jersey made.

CNY rider
10-19-2018, 06:15 PM
@Greg L, do you cross country ski with your dog? Can he handle several hours out in snow and cold temps?

GregL
10-19-2018, 06:56 PM
@Greg L, do you cross country ski with your dog? Can he handle several hours out in snow and cold temps?
He loves snow. With his thick coat, cold temps are no problem. The only issue is that his hairy paws quickly pick up lots of snow. Booties are a must for extended time outside in winter.

schwa86
10-19-2018, 08:02 PM
I was raised with Gordon Setters and briefly tried to keep the legacy going, but quickly realized it was not possible to give our Gordon enough exercise in a city setting -- the dog park and 3 mile runs just weren't enough. He went in to kinship care with my folks on my family's farm and lived a long and happy life.

We tried again about 10 years later with a cockapoo. She is now 13. As advertised, smart, personable, no shedding. In her younger days, able to play frisbee, etc., so not entirely a lap dog, but definitely much more domestic. That said, I have somewhat naively discovered that the genetic mixing does not necessarily lead to a best of both worlds result. She has had myriad health problems, blind in one eye at age 5, and in both by age ten. Lots of allergies, etc. Came from a very reputable breeder -- in retrospect, not sure there was much else we could have done, just suggesting that these designer mixes can still have plenty of problems.

Ken Robb
10-19-2018, 08:19 PM
Our two dogs are both rescues/pound puppies. Eric is almost surely a malti-poo because he had a chip and his original owner told Animal Control she got him as a puppy from a breeder. Annie was picked up as a matted, flea-infested, emaciated 10-11 month old puppy in the wilds of San Diego County. It's a miracle she wasn't eaten by coyotes, bobcats or hawks.

We had great luck adopting these two when they were old enough to know their personalities before we adopted them. Eric was 4 years old and very healthy. Annie was a mess but still loving and very spunky so we didn't think there was much risk of health problems with either dog. So far-so good.

There are so many rescue groups specializing in various breeds you might do well to visit some youngish adult dogs there to minimize the risk of future surprises/disappointments. Of course opinions are like elbows:everyone has a couple. I cleaned that up for publication. :)

SoCalSteve
10-19-2018, 08:25 PM
I was raised with Gordon Setters and briefly tried to keep the legacy going, but quickly realized it was not possible to give our Gordon enough exercise in a city setting -- the dog park and 3 mile runs just weren't enough. He went in to kinship care with my folks on my family's farm and lived a long and happy life.

We tried again about 10 years later with a cockapoo. She is now 13. As advertised, smart, personable, no shedding. In her younger days, able to play frisbee, etc., so not entirely a lap dog, but definitely much more domestic. That said, I have somewhat naively discovered that the genetic mixing does not necessarily lead to a best of both worlds result. She has had myriad health problems, blind in one eye at age 5, and in both by age ten. Lots of allergies, etc. Came from a very reputable breeder -- in retrospect, not sure there was much else we could have done, just suggesting that these designer mixes can still have plenty of problems.

It seems like there is still inbreeding among the designer dog breeder crowd. We ended up with a 100% purebred mutt rescue and he is as healthy as a horse. Very spry for being 11 lbs. can rough and tumble with dogs 4 times his size and loves it!

Something to be said for a rescue mutt.

Ken Robb
10-19-2018, 08:26 PM

I have watched border collies herd sheep and ducks at various Highland Games. My dad had a collie when he was a boy in Scotland. After my ex-wife kept our Labrador Retriever to go with the house and the kid I seriously wanted another dog and I thought it was time for a collie. Lucky for me I went to visit "George" with his foster family and realized he would NOT do well living with a single real estate broker in a condo. :) As a trainer told me: if you don't give them a demanding job they will make one up on their own and you probably won't like it.:banana:

bikinchris
10-19-2018, 09:30 PM
I am going to go against the grain here. Get a rescue dog. You will save it's life and it will make yours more full.

dancinkozmo
10-20-2018, 06:32 AM
+1 . rescue mutts are the best

VTCaraco
10-20-2018, 08:48 AM
We rescued a Newfoundland-Poodle mix.
Poor guy was just over 10 weeks old when we got him.
He had been purchased, flown in to our area, surrendered, and fostered briefly by the local rescue to get a profile on his personality.
He was VERY insecure and there was a reason he was surrendered...he was a rambunctious and very playful dog. Throw that in the mix with the insecurity and the first few months were tough.

The notion of rescue makes all sorts of sense, but the folks that I know that did a rescue had a little bit of untangling to do before getting the pet they were looking for.

ultraman6970
10-20-2018, 09:29 AM
Newfoundland poodle mix? cant imagine that at all... specially in the personality. The good thing is that the dog got the curly hair, you wont have to sweep 10 times a day :D

Do you have a picture?

VTCaraco
10-20-2018, 10:56 AM
Ever read the kid's book, Ferdinand?

https://i.imgur.com/ikh5LwP.jpg?1

skiezo
10-31-2018, 05:55 AM
So a friend of a friend of someone had a litter of mistake pups. The wife found out about this litter somehow.
The female is a 55# black and white F1B labradoodle and the male is a pure bred hunting stock Llewellin english setter. He is about 50#.
The setter was not supposed to be the sire but S#@t happens.
He is 12 weeks old and was at a puppy rescue with a few of his litter mates a few hours away.
We named him Simon Girty. He is named after a river bandit that was from the local area.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-legends-pennsylvania/112871-girtys-gold-girtys-notch-perry-county.html
So now it is like raising another kid.
https://i.imgur.com/bXshrAxl.jpg

Birddog
10-31-2018, 04:32 PM
So a friend of a friend of someone had a litter of mistake pups. The wife found out about this litter somehow.
The female is a 55# black and white F1B labradoodle and the male is a pure bred hunting stock Llewellin english setter. He is about 50#.
The setter was not supposed to be the sire but S#@t happens.
He is 12 weeks old and was at a puppy rescue with a few of his litter mates a few hours away.
We named him Simon Girty. He is named after a river bandit that was from the local area.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-legends-pennsylvania/112871-girtys-gold-girtys-notch-perry-county.html
So now it is like raising another kid.
https://i.imgur.com/bXshrAxl.jpg

That's a fine looking pup, I think you'll like him a lot.

Lanternrouge
10-31-2018, 04:36 PM
That's a fine looking pup, I think you'll like him a lot.

Especially after the worst of the teething and puppy destructiveness is out of his system. :banana:

Mikej
11-01-2018, 06:37 AM
We have a doodle, welcome to haircuts. for a dog.

GScot
11-01-2018, 07:14 AM
We have a doodle, welcome to haircuts. for a dog.

Yes indeed. When we got Cody we paid for one or two groomings and he hated to go and they were bad haircuts. For the cost of one to two groomer appointments you can buy the tools to do it yourself. I've been a dog barber for the last 10 years. Just watched a few YouTube videos about safety around the eyes and mouth where I picked up enough tips be comfortable doing it. Some good haircuts and some not so good but none worse than the pros were doing.

GregL
11-01-2018, 07:24 AM
Yes indeed. When we got Cody we paid for one or two groomings and he hated to go and they were bad haircuts. For the cost of one to two groomer appointments you can buy the tools to do it yourself. I've been a dog barber for the last 10 years. Just watched a few YouTube videos about safety around the eyes and mouth where I picked up enough tips be comfortable doing it. Some good haircuts and some not so good but none worse than the pros were doing.
+1. Seven-plus years of dog haircuts under my belt. GScot's advice is spot on. In addition to being much less expensive, it's also much less stressful for the dog. I usually give Max a bath on the night before a haircut. On haircut day, I just flip a few treats on to the table I use as a grooming stand. He jumps up, eats his treats, and then lays down for his haircut. A few times he has even fallen asleep!

Greg

Mikej
11-01-2018, 08:09 AM

Oh, our dog is 12 y.o., I bought that clipper and the ceramic blades long ago -80$ plus tip is the going rate -problem with DIY grooming is my dog is an @$$hole and bites. Usually an hour running in the park and woods, a bath and he's too tired to really fight it and I can get the muzzle on....

skiezo
12-17-2018, 01:49 PM
He is now 4 months old and is a hand full at times. We go on a 2 hour hike most days and a few times a week a 2.5 mile jog in the mountain.
He is in need of a trim.
https://i.imgur.com/LwJRjOdl.jpg
After a trip to the groomer. On the grooming table.
https://i.imgur.com/m1QbGMFl.jpg
I thought that I broke the cycle??
https://i.imgur.com/5yOAvZzl.jpg

ultraman6970
12-17-2018, 05:33 PM
Saw a couple of poos mixed at CL in a pet listing, dude wanted like 1500 bucks for one...