PDA

View Full Version : Cargo bike thoughts? Surly Big Dummy.

Cicli
10-17-2018, 05:09 AM
I am looking to gear up for some camping and commuting. I found a new Big Dummy Locally and am thinking of giving it a whirl. Anyone ride one? Have one? I am thinking it would be perfect for grocery runs as well as long unsupported touring.
Thoughts?

JAGI410
10-17-2018, 08:10 AM
Do it. Leave now. Buy it.

I had one for a few years and loved it dearly. I didn't get to take it on all the adventures it deserved, but it hauled my kid, groceries, and trail building tools. It can easily fit 6, 30 packs of beer, with room for more. They ride pretty darn normal unloaded too. When you get close to the 400lb limit, you can feel the flex, but it's still manageable.

charliedid
10-17-2018, 08:14 AM
I am looking to gear up for some camping and commuting. I found a new Big Dummy Locally and am thinking of giving it a whirl. Anyone ride one? Have one? I am thinking it would be perfect for grocery runs as well as long unsupported touring.
Thoughts?

If you want a camping bike then yes, get a Big Dummy. It rides the most like a standard bike if you want to plug away and do some miles.

It would not however by personal first choice for a "city bike" for short runs commuting and running errands or dropping off kids.

Have fun

charliedid
10-17-2018, 08:16 AM
I'll add that the Xtracycle Edgerunner IMO rides and hauls better (lower center of gravity) and it would still be my first choice.

Subjective to a point.

mistermo
10-17-2018, 08:22 AM
I have a Trek Transport, no longer made. A couple summers ago, it was my most ridden bike. I rode it everywhere: hardware store, grocery, bars, gardening store. It carried a nice load and I even put my young daughter on the back with tandem bars on the seatpost. It was great. The need for this has worn off, so I could be persuaded to sell. Never tried a Big Dummy.
http://www.transitionamherst.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/P1010003.jpg

ptourkin
10-17-2018, 08:28 AM
I have a Trek Transport, no longer made. A couple summers ago, it was my most ridden bike. I rode it everywhere: hardware store, grocery, bars, gardening store. It carried a nice load and I even put my young daughter on the back with tandem bars on the seatpost. It was great. The need for this has worn off, so I could be persuaded to sell. Never tried a Big Dummy.
http://www.transitionamherst.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/P1010003.jpg

Those were sweet. I missed out on a chance to buy my friend's. I wonder why they stopped making it.

NHAero
10-17-2018, 10:14 AM
Have had a Big Dummy since 2009. Built to be bombproof. Rear hub is Phil Wood, front is SON, both wheels built by Peter White with Sun Rhynolite rims and the wheels are still excellent. Planet Bike Fenders. 3x9 Shimano gearing with Nitto Albatross bars and DA barcons, BB7 brakes. Conti Town & Country 26x1.75 tires.

It's more a bad weather and winter commuter - it gets studded tires in winter. Great for errands/shopping, or packing up and going to the beach with our beach chairs and umbrella. I've carried a flat car tire and a box with a bike frame packed for shipping.

Haven't tried other brands of cargo bikes, so no basis of comparison.

charliedid
10-17-2018, 10:54 AM
Have had a Big Dummy since 2009. Built to be bombproof. Rear hub is Phil Wood, front is SON, both wheels built by Peter White with Sun Rhynolite rims and the wheels are still excellent. Planet Bike Fenders. 3x9 Shimano gearing with Nitto Albatross bars and DA barcons, BB7 brakes. Conti Town & Country 26x1.75 tires.

It's more a bad weather and winter commuter - it gets studded tires in winter. Great for errands/shopping, or packing up and going to the beach with our beach chairs and umbrella. I've carried a flat car tire and a box with a bike frame packed for shipping.

Haven't tried other brands of cargo bikes, so no basis of comparison.

Nice set up!

mktng
10-17-2018, 11:08 AM
i'd be curious to see how commuting on a Bullitt cargo bike would be.
i like loading cargo in the front. would also be cool to transport my kid around without having to look back to make sure hes still sitting there....

notsew
10-17-2018, 02:50 PM
I don't have a big dummy, but I have a Kona Ute and I love it. Its so nice just to be able to haul a ton of stuff on a bike. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about a big dummy. Everybody I know that has a cargo bike wishes they would have gotten it sooner.

We actually have two cargo bikes, the big dummy and an electric Rad Wagon. In the summer we are on them all the time. My wife carries the kids on the electric and I carry all the gear in the ute. Lots of beach trips and running around town.

I've always wanted to take it camping, but I've never quite got around to it, I think it would be great though.

ptourkin
10-17-2018, 03:17 PM
For hardcore camping, JP's Blackborow looks rad:

https://jaypetervary.com/iditabike/blown-away-riding-the-salsa-blackborow-on-the-iditarod-trail/

https://jaypetervary.com/wp-content/uploads/Portrait-JayP_Winter2018-50.jpg

tlarwa
10-17-2018, 03:19 PM
Not sure what size Big Dummy you need, but this one has been listed on the Madison, WI CL for a while now. Looks pretty nice. I have no affiliation with it at all, just kept coming across it when I was looking to buy a Pugsley!

https://madison.craigslist.org/bik/d/surly-big-dummy-xtracycle/6695368221.html

Cicli
10-20-2018, 07:34 AM
So, I picked up a basicly new Big Dummy for real cheap. Like mid three digit cheap. Its an older one, stock and looks new. I will take it out this afternoon for a cruise and report back.
In the meantime, anyone else have one of these monsters to show?