PDA

View Full Version : Info on Merckx Motorola MXL

aellaguno
10-16-2018, 09:35 PM
Hi, Just purchased on ebay a Merckx MXL with motorola colors and would love to know more about this bike. Ive been searching for one for a while and finally found one on my size.

My bike has the chrome chain stay so I believe its one of the vintage models and not the later 2004 model that made 100 frames with MXL. If someone could tell me more about this I would really appreciate it.

Also, it comes with Campy Record 9 speed. Was this a popular groupset? I believe the Motorola team used 7400 dura ace with this bike?

The bikes comes with Mavic Reflex wheels. I honestly have no idea if these where good wheels back in the day?

Anybody know if Merckx made a lot of Motorola MXL's? Just curious to see how common these bikes are.

Thanks for sharing your opinions and Knowledge!

texbike
10-16-2018, 10:20 PM
Are you referring to this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Eddy-Merckx-Motorola-MX-Leader-Road-Bike-Size-55cm-/283209779041?hash=item41f09e4761%3Ag%3AE8wAAOSw6M9 bwneZ&nma=true&si=vIiliIC6bLF6BnnZ2VeHH9%252F4Us8%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 ?

If so, nice bike! And yes, it is one of the originals and not a reissue. The main way that you can tell is that your bike has a threaded fork while the reissues didn't. Also, as you point out, it has a chromed chainstay. The reissue bikes didn't have chrome on them.

There were MANY more than 100 made of the original MXLs like this. However, they're definitely not going to be as common as any of the models from the major brands.

Have fun with it!

Texbike

Black Dog
10-16-2018, 10:21 PM
Hi, Just purchased on ebay a Merckx MXL with motorola colors and would love to know more about this bike. Ive been searching for one for a while and finally found one on my size.

My bike has the chrome chain stay so I believe its one of the vintage models and not the later 2004 model that made 100 frames with MXL. If someone could tell me more about this I would really appreciate it.

Also, it comes with Campy Record 9 speed. Was this a popular groupset? I believe the Motorola team used 7400 dura ace with this bike?

The bikes comes with Mavic Reflex wheels. I honestly have no idea if these where good wheels back in the day?

Anybody know if Merckx made a lot of Motorola MXL's? Just curious to see how common these bikes are.

That groupset was as good as anything on the road at the time. Motorola did run Dura-Ace 74xx series.

The reflex rims if clincher were the precursor to the open pro rims. Very good for the time. The reflex rim was also issued as a tubular rim.

texbike
10-16-2018, 10:25 PM
Oh, and I have a nice 7400 group from the same era that would be perfect for the bike. ;) I'll be listing it in the classifieds in the next couple of days.

Texbike

oldpotatoe
10-17-2018, 06:44 AM

Great frame, great riding bike..rides much 'lighter' than it's weight. Campag 9s very common, 1997-2000 or so(Campag 10s in 2000)..Mavic Reflex, if clinchers, were just 'ok', but of they are true and stay that way, they'll be OK..same for the tubular that's also a 'Reflex'...

I've owned 4 or so and have a 1990 one now and it's one of the best riding bikes I have owned in 38 years of riding...

tv_vt
10-17-2018, 10:33 AM
Does anyone know where I could get a complete geometry chart for the MXL? I've seen the one with seat angle and tt length, but would like to know fork rake and trail and head tube angle and front center, etc.

Thanks.

TV

KJMUNC
10-17-2018, 03:14 PM
Does anyone know where I could get a complete geometry chart for the MXL? I've seen the one with seat angle and tt length, but would like to know fork rake and trail and head tube angle and front center, etc.

Thanks.

TV

Have looked for one for years for the various MXLs I've owned and have only ever seem the one from GITA that's similar to the one you referenced above.

donevwil
10-17-2018, 04:07 PM

Thanks.

TV

Front end geo on steel Merckxes was Eddy's "secret sauce" delivering the much vaunted handling his frames were known for. I've never seen numbers advertised, but did measure HTA and Rake on the old pro-race frameset I purchased years ago. I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but HTA was steep with resultant trail lower than standard road high 50's - low 60's. Tom Kellogg makes reference to it here (https://www.spectrum-cycles.com/geometry.php).

TDot
10-17-2018, 06:10 PM
Congrats on an amazing ride and owning one of the most sought after bikes! Throw up some pics so we can all admire its current appearance!

aellaguno
10-17-2018, 06:24 PM
Are you referring to this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Eddy-Merckx-Motorola-MX-Leader-Road-Bike-Size-55cm-/283209779041?hash=item41f09e4761%3Ag%3AE8wAAOSw6M9 bwneZ&nma=true&si=vIiliIC6bLF6BnnZ2VeHH9%252F4Us8%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 ?

If so, nice bike! And yes, it is one of the originals and not a reissue. The main way that you can tell is that your bike has a threaded fork while the reissues didn't. Also, as you point out, it has a chromed chainstay. The reissue bikes didn't have chrome on them.

There were MANY more than 100 made of the original MXLs like this. However, they're definitely not going to be as common as any of the models from the major brands.

Have fun with it!

Texbike

Yep, thats the one! Cant wait to get the package, change a few things and start riding the bike. I might have overpaid a bit for it, but Ive been searching for a while the right size and in good conditions... I wasnt going to risk letting that bike while trying to save a few hundred bucks.

Thanks for all the advice and sharing the info, Ill be posting some pics soon! Im also building the 10th anniversary bike with SLX tubing and DA7400. Ill be posting pics of that too.

tv_vt
10-17-2018, 06:24 PM
Just got a used MXL without a headset. Previous owner did not ever put one on, since the frame size was not what he thought it would be. But he thought it had a Campy headset, so I ordered a Record headset and my mechanic put it on today. Turns out there is a lot of threaded steerer tube left over, so we temporarily put in some spacers. I'd rather not cut the steerer tube, but am not crazy about using 15mm of spacers either. Anyone know of a very tall threaded headset (measured by the stack height)?

Another thought is that maybe the Athena/Chorus style headsets had taller top pieces - would swapping those in give me any more height?

FYI the Record headset has a stack height of around 38mm. Chris King threaded headset is less. A Stronglight A9 is slightly taller at around 41, I think.

Fork does look original to the frame, too, in case you're wondering.

If I did end up using spacers, do they all need the 'key' that fits in the steerer groove, or could I use alloy 1" spacers for a no-thread headset? That's what we put in there today.

donevwil
10-17-2018, 06:41 PM
You only need one keyed washer. If I remember correctly Cane Creek 110 threaded headsets (the best) come with a couple spacers of different thicknesses. Each had a set screw that acted as the keyed washer, pretty slick.

oldpotatoe
10-18-2018, 06:25 AM
Just got a used MXL without a headset. Previous owner did not ever put one on, since the frame size was not what he thought it would be. But he thought it had a Campy headset, so I ordered a Record headset and my mechanic put it on today. Turns out there is a lot of threaded steerer tube left over, so we temporarily put in some spacers. I'd rather not cut the steerer tube, 1)but am not crazy about using 15mm of spacers either. Anyone know of a very tall threaded headset (measured by the stack height)?

2)Another thought is that maybe the Athena/Chorus style headsets had taller top pieces - would swapping those in give me any more height?

FYI the Record headset has a stack height of around 38mm. Chris King threaded headset is less. A Stronglight A9 is slightly taller at around 41, I think.

Fork does look original to the frame, too, in case you're wondering.

3)If I did end up using spacers, do they all need the 'key' that fits in the steerer groove, or could I use alloy 1" spacers for a no-thread headset? That's what we put in there today.

1)Because of looks? Just be careful that the stem wedge isn't at the threaded part of the fork and you'll be fine.

2)About 4mm is all

3)Those were thought to help keep HS tight but I have used non keyed HS spacers all the time..just adjust well and you'll be fine. The Record HS comes with one keyed washer, that sits right under the top nut, keep that one, but use any 1 inch HS spacers under that.

tv_vt
10-19-2018, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the info, OP. Was hoping you'd chime in, since I know you've got a few of these frames on the road.

I'm going to 'Freuler' this frame to get rid of the 15mm spacers in the headset. Ordering a titanium headtube extension from Ti Cycle Fabrications in Portland - 15mm extension, pressfit. I'll try to spray paint it a navy blue to come close to the frame color. But that should look fine on the frame and help with the fit. I did that on a Merckx ti frame several years ago and it worked really well.

I've done two rides on this new-to-me frame now and it's really fun. When I'm sitting on it, I don't notice that there isn't much seat tube showing, it just feels like it fits really well. Not porky feeling at all, and not stiff either to my 180 pound rider weight. I had a Corsa Extra years ago and I swear that was stiffer and just as heavy, if not more so. And I love the shaping of the MXL tubing. Every one has a flare or two. Fun bike, looks classic. Glad I got it. Thanks Mpearsom.

Pearsom
10-19-2018, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the info, OP. Was hoping you'd chime in, since I know you've got a few of these frames on the road.

I'm going to 'Freuler' this frame to get rid of the 15mm spacers in the headset. Ordering a titanium headtube extension from Ti Cycle Fabrications in Portland - 15mm extension, pressfit. I'll try to spray paint it a navy blue to come close to the frame color. But that should look fine on the frame and help with the fit. I did that on a Merckx ti frame several years ago and it worked really well.

I've done two rides on this new-to-me frame now and it's really fun. When I'm sitting on it, I don't notice that there isn't much seat tube showing, it just feels like it fits really well. Not porky feeling at all, and not stiff either to my 180 pound rider weight. I had a Corsa Extra years ago and I swear that was stiffer and just as heavy, if not more so. And I love the shaping of the MXL tubing. Every one has a flare or two. Fun bike, looks classic. Glad I got it. Thanks Mpearsom.

Thom,

I'm glad the frame arrived safe and sound and you are already getting some miles in. Sorry I couldn't give you more info on the headset, but it was too small for me so I never built it up. I'm happy it went to a good home. Please post some pics if you are so inclined

Best,
M

beercan
10-20-2018, 07:49 AM
Only bike I wouldn't sell in my stable, rides great and stable, and it's a beaut!

tv_vt
10-22-2018, 12:55 PM
Quick pic of new-to-me 61cm MXL. Work in progress, but rides great!

aellaguno
02-01-2019, 07:16 PM
Finally got the bike ready... here are some pics!Looking to change the stem, if anybody has one for sale please let me know.

m_sasso
02-01-2019, 10:47 PM
Lots of stems, maybe a clue might help? Longer, shorter, different angle, colour...etc?

Likely the most common stem originally used on these bikes was the Cinelli XA stem.

oldpotatoe
02-02-2019, 06:22 AM
Finally got the bike ready... here are some pics!Looking to change the stem, if anybody has one for sale please let me know.

NICE rig..!!!
Huzzah!!

aellaguno
02-03-2019, 12:46 PM
Lots of stems, maybe a clue might help? Longer, shorter, different angle, colour...etc?

Likely the most common stem originally used on these bikes was the Cinelli XA stem.

A cinelli XA would be great! Would you have one in great conditions for sale?

m_sasso
02-03-2019, 07:04 PM
A cinelli XA would be great! Would you have one in great conditions for sale?

I do have one I could let go, 115mm however, again it needs to be the correct size and you have not specified what size you require? Your current stem looks to be around 130mm, is it the correct size for you?

donevwil
02-03-2019, 10:38 PM
I've got a 125 Merckx panto XA if that fits the bill, 26.4 clamp.

Sent from my LM-X410UM using Tapatalk