PDA

View Full Version : quick release positioning

dave.delano
04-30-2004, 08:14 AM
Why does the positioning of such a small component seems to elicit so much attention? It was one of the few things noted in photo of John Kerry on his Serotta. At the risk of opening a huge can of worms; what is the consensus as to quick release position? Parallel to the ground? To the forks and seat stays? Some combination of both? Help!

Andreu
04-30-2004, 08:19 AM
As I remember there were some political jokes as to whether it was on the left or right.
Personally, it feels safer and looks neater tucked against the frame or forks. Also, you can feel use the frame or fork to guage the pressure and therefore the secureness of fit of the skewer and wheel when you are fitting it. I am not sure whether it is safer.....I have never heard of anyone catching there QR skewer against anything. Perhaps other people have more info. on this.
A

JohnS
04-30-2004, 08:53 AM
I have both of mine facing aft. There is one local female rider who has her Rolf qr positioned against the fork. It's not completely closed in that position. I tried correcting her, but her boyfriend "knew" better. By the way, he's the LBS owner that Dbrk "likes" so much because of his website opinions of Colnagos. :)

Kevan
04-30-2004, 10:15 AM
rear release is closed at the 10-11 o'clock position, betweem the seat and chain stays for protection. LBS owner when toying with bike always closes my bike's rear with it pointing aft as well.

MTB has the front release closed behind and alongside the fork, thus protecting it from the nasties.

Doc Austin
04-30-2004, 10:38 AM
I have my quick releases on the left, but only because I've done it that way for so long. I like to have the handles parrellel to the fork and stay because don't seem to stick out so much visually. Now, if you have pretty quick releases that might not be the way for you, but I prefer a little more traditional look, and having them blend in works for me.

victoryfactory
04-30-2004, 12:26 PM
Horizontal, facing aft.

They look nice when closed along a tube or fork, but they are hard to get your fingers under to open.. Hmm.... a possible anti theft measure?
VF

Kevan
04-30-2004, 12:41 PM
kinda sounds like a kama sutra instruction for male praying mantis.

saab2000
04-30-2004, 12:49 PM
..... on bikes with the so-called "Breezer" dropouts, it is not possible to close many quick releases properly. On my new Strong I am not able to close the rear Mavic QR at the normal 10:30 position, rather the rear is about at the 7:45 position.

This is not bad, but it is not perfect either.

Supposedly these dropouts are strong and light, but this is one minor disadvantage. The other is that a bike so equipped cannot be mounted in a trainer.

Anyway, on most bikes, the proper QR position is on the left side (when looking at the bike from behind) with the front lever parallel to the ground, pointing backwards. The rear lever ideally should be parallel to the chainstay, pointing upwards to about the 10:30 position, when viewed from the side.

This is the way I do it and is the only possible correct way!!!!! :D

Tom
04-30-2004, 12:49 PM
It's all I got and I'm sticking to it.

I read somewhere somebody saying how they tuck theirs in next to the front side of the seatstay and slightly behind the front fork because they're less likely to hook on something and somebody in a close group isn't as likely to catch the levers and drag the rider down when they move away. Things sticking out attract stuff.

That being said, I put them that way because I think it looks better.

saab2000
04-30-2004, 01:05 PM
....if they were in any other position than the "traditional" way of doing it that they would stick out and snag on something. I say that that is extremely unlikely as the lever would only be rotated in a lateral plane and would not protrude any further from the bike.

One the same note, though, the Mavic electric derailleurs do indeed stick out so far that I have often considered them to be a hazard to safe cycling, though I have never seen an accident caused by them.

One more thing, I have seen non-cyclists riding bikes with the QR completely loose. On more than one occasion I have stopped them and closed it and they were generally thankful. I don't like telling others that what they are doing is wrong, but that is just simply extremely dangerous. Those "lawyer lips" on fork tips are not a bad idea for about 90% of people who casually get on a bike but have no idea how a QR works.

Just my $.02!

zap
04-30-2004, 01:19 PM
Saab2000

First I've heard/seen anyone consider Mavic's electronic rear derailleur hazardous. In 10 years of riding my Zap equiped bike, not one mention of it being dangerous. Yes it does stick out some, but so do handlebars :)

saab2000
04-30-2004, 01:28 PM
....works for you. Like I said, I have never seen an accident caused by it. It just struck me as sticking WAY out, but maybe it is no big deal.

Ozz
04-30-2004, 01:30 PM
Sounds like a marketing opportunity: Ben-Hur style QR levers - extra wide to help "slice" thru the peloton!

Kevan
04-30-2004, 01:41 PM
Sandy's Ottrott sports them. How he wears that heavy leather jersey is beyond me. And during the BBD weekend, we had to take away his whip.

Kevin
04-30-2004, 05:32 PM
Front just behind the fork and rear at 10:30.

Kevin

vaxn8r
04-30-2004, 08:53 PM
I think what Kevin said....

Front behind the fork blade.
Rear between the chain stay and seat stay.

Jeff N.
04-30-2004, 11:21 PM
With Breezer drops, I have mine both at slightly past 2 O'clock. All others are either parallel to the fork and seat stays or both at 12:00. Jeff N.