PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in the Biz ridden a MTB with Fox LiveValve?

sfscott
10-16-2018, 07:17 PM
Very interested to hear your thoughts. Looks way cool, price notwithstanding.

And before you trolls get ready for the grumpy posts, I know your 26-inch steel hardtail kicks but on everything else.

msl819
10-16-2018, 07:41 PM
For those of us not familiar with the cutting edge. This looks pretty sweet

https://www.ridefox.com/content.php?c=livevalve-bike

GOTHBROOKS
10-16-2018, 07:45 PM
a battery operated brain for non specialized frames? kinda neat.

cal_len1
10-17-2018, 12:00 PM
I'm holding out picking up a full suspension XC bike, because I want this fully integrated on a bike. Here's hoping someone brings it on for 2020.

sfscott
10-17-2018, 12:08 PM
Don't need to wait until 2020. Maybe until you win the lottery, but see also Giant and Scott

https://www.pivotcycles.com/en/bike-mach-55-carbon-1

sandyrs
10-17-2018, 12:23 PM
It's a really impressive technology, but I think it's becoming increasingly irrelevant as suspension designs get better. "Pedal bob" on modern bikes, especially XC bikes, tends to be really minimal. I only ever use the firmer settings on my bike when I'm riding pavement, and I can't see ever paying two thousand dollars to not have to flip the climb switch on my shock like four times per ride. The bike actually climbs dirt better in open mode because it can maintain traction over rougher terrain.

It's especially ironic to see this technology launching on a Pivot because the dw-link suspension design is already widely considered to be one of the best pedaling designs out there.

m_sasso
10-17-2018, 01:52 PM
Active suspension has been exceptionally successful in most every application it has been applied, no doubt it will be unbeatable in Mt. bike applications shortly.

Jaybee
10-17-2018, 02:47 PM
It's a really impressive technology, but I think it's becoming increasingly irrelevant as suspension designs get better. "Pedal bob" on modern bikes, especially XC bikes, tends to be really minimal. I only ever use the firmer settings on my bike when I'm riding pavement, and I can't see ever paying two thousand dollars to not have to flip the climb switch on my shock like four times per ride. The bike actually climbs dirt better in open mode because it can maintain traction over rougher terrain.

It's especially ironic to see this technology launching on a Pivot because the dw-link suspension design is already widely considered to be one of the best pedaling designs out there.

This is kinda where I am. I'm in the market for a new trail bike, so I've ridden 8-10 different 2018/2019 short to mid-travel bikes with a variety of suspension platforms on real trails over the past 2 months. Some pedal better than others, but everything that was set up correctly for my weight pedaled just fine in trail mode. Today, I can't see taking out a second mortgage for this when $4k - $5k will get you a great platform with decent parts.

I'm all for technological advancement though, so I'm interested to see where this goes.

sfscott
10-17-2018, 07:44 PM
I am anxious to hear. Sounds like Fox took their time to get it right, and they asked a few bike builders to make a frame that could support the system.

As I understand it from the press reviews (not that I trust them more than anyone here) is that the system is not as binary as open/closed for descent or climb. It's adjusting on a continuum so settings are different for smooth flow-ey than for rocky steep descents within the same ride. It's also supposed to deliver the sweet spot of sort of open for climbing while retaining some traction that would be absent in a closed/locked setting. Not sure what, if anything, it is doing for rebound.

I suspect this may be like electronic shifting. Do you need it because your Campy doesn't already shift well? No. But does EPS rock, hell yeah.