PDA

View Full Version : Castelli Alpha ROS jacket vs. Perfetto

spiderwj
10-16-2018, 05:31 PM
I’m moving to Aberdeen, Scotland from Houston, TX. Needless to say I need a new wardrobe for riding. Anyone have experience with both the Castelli Perfetto and Castelli Alpha ROS? I just got a Perfetto and it fits great in a XXL. I like the cut and I think it will be a regular in the rotation. The Alpha ROS looks like a great jacket but I am curious if I need it or if a long sleeve base layer under the Perfetto will work down to freezing temps.

Any experience or thoughts are always appreciated.

Thanks!
Web

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gummee
10-16-2018, 06:30 PM
I don't have the new new Alpha, but I DO have both an older Alpha jersey and an older Perfetto.

Neither are what you'd call waterproof. The Alpha being a bit warmer with the insulation in the front.

I'll bet you're going to want something more waterproof, but I'd suggest asking the LBSes there what people are wearing and/or seeing what people are riding in once you get there.

M

veloduffer
10-16-2018, 07:56 PM
I just got the Alpha ROS but it doesn’t look much warmer than my Gabba, which is the basis of the Perfetto. I think with a good base layer and the Perfetto, they will be good down to the mid 40s.

Below that I use the Castelli Espresso and a Craft baselayer. The Espresso is sized as race fit and feels more like a Jersey than a jacket, but it is warm.

My tandem friends used their Espresso jackets for a fall ride last month in Calgary where it’s in the 30s in the morning and were warm (and they’re supper skinny with no fat for insulation!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

makoti
10-16-2018, 08:09 PM
Also have an older Alpha jacket. Two, actually. My favorite pieces. Wear them from 35 (long sleeve base layer under) into the 50s (short sleeve base) and as high as 65 (just the jacket as a l/s jersey).
Not a rain jacket, by any means.

one60
10-16-2018, 09:27 PM
Just buy whatever the guy who writes for the washingmachinepost reviews and wears. He's based in Scotland and rides year round!

His posts or blog are entertaining and enlightening.

zzy
10-16-2018, 09:59 PM
I can't really comment about the clothing, but the Caringorns is the most beautiful places on earth. The Highlands are breathtaking!

robertbb
10-16-2018, 11:01 PM
Assuming you're talking about the Alpha jacket, not jersey, it is FAR warmer than the Perfetto. It's got a fleece lining similar to a Patagonia R1 (Polartec Powergrid) that is seriously warm. The Gore material on the outside is the real deal too.

The Alpha *jersey* and Perfetto are pretty much the same thing, but the ROS has that little built-in vest piece at the front.

weisan
10-16-2018, 11:24 PM
Any pal familiar with the area around Aberdeen, Scotland?

Heisenberg
10-17-2018, 01:07 AM
Assuming you're talking about the Alpha jacket, not jersey, it is FAR warmer than the Perfetto. It's got a fleece lining similar to a Patagonia R1 (Polartec Powergrid) that is seriously warm. The Gore material on the outside is the real deal too.

The Alpha *jersey* and Perfetto are pretty much the same thing, but the ROS has that little built-in vest piece at the front.

No, they aren't.

The Perfetto is a really breathable water-resistant race piece.

The Alpha jersey is a highly windproof/water resistant piece that doesn't breathe as well as the Perfetto (aka Gabba) when zipped up, but has the option of unzipping with the thermal sewn-in baselayer. It's a training piece.

The Alpha ROS jacket is a heavy-duty winter garment designed for sub-50F temps with precipitation.

I have all three. Given your relo, I'd suggest buying the Alpha ROS, with its jersey a second (with a toasty BL). The Perfetto is lovely, but it's not really designed for Scottish winters, even with a BL. It's designed to keep you moderately warm when it's pissing and you're going full-gas.