PDA

View Full Version : Traveling to Europe (slightly OT)

CNY rider
10-15-2018, 12:55 PM
We are planning our first trip to Europe next summer.
We primarily want to spend time hiking, experiencing the Alps, a few days of cycling for me, perhaps a few days in cities.
We plan to visit Switzerland, and likely either Austria or Italy or France for the second week.

The question: We have two windows for travel.
Either late June, into the first half of July.
or
the second half of August.

Any recommendations on one time window versus the other appreciated.

jh_on_the_cape
10-15-2018, 01:23 PM
Dont go to Italy second half of August. Everyone has vacation and everything is more crowded and booked up.
I just spent August in the Dolomites. It got crowded the second 2 weeks in the sense that I had to go do second tier hikes to avoid a conga line on the trail.

It's beautiful. Go for it. The trail running is amazing.

donevwil
10-15-2018, 01:41 PM
All else being equal I would recommend the earlier window. In general August weather is less predictable and more variable.

vav
10-15-2018, 01:58 PM
June by a mile.

Kirk007
10-15-2018, 02:11 PM
June-July but either can be fine, probably depends where you end up to an extent. Cons: Could still be wet/cold at high elevations; depending on where you live you may not have as many training miles in your legs as you would mid-August. Biggest Pro: Depending on where you are the August vacation crowds could be really a bummer. Provence outback this past August was fine. Ventoux (weekend), Stelvio (last weekend August) had a lot of people and motorbikes on them. The following week, just after vacation period was a very different vibe.

Dino Suegiù
10-15-2018, 04:54 PM
The "August problem" of closed businesses and more tourists is less of an issue every year it seems. I mean that there are more businesses which cater to tourists open for longer (many all of August) but there are also more tourists around than only in August these days. In some places it is almost all year.

The real constant difference, and why I would recommend June-July more than August-September, is that if you plan to visit the flatter parts, near the Mediterranean, of France and Italy (especially the Veneto) the humidity there in August-Septmber can be really terrible.

So, June-July is my recommendation also.

CNY rider
10-15-2018, 05:59 PM
Thank you, so far this is confirming what I suspected the right answer to be.

Buzz
10-15-2018, 06:04 PM
Our last two trips to Europe and specifically Switzerland, Austria and Italy were in late June and early July. We lucked out with good weather and spectacular views both times. Better chance to see Alpen Blumen at that time versus mid to late August. But mountain weather at any time can be variable. Was in Switzerland once in the summer and didn’t see any mountains for nearly a week due to rain. Also had good weather in Mid August in the mountains...as others have said parts of Italy can get warm in August. But hot days can lead to beautifully warm nights spent wandering around an old city and all the charms that go with it.

As a side note a few years ago we were in Florence around Christmas time and it was busy. We spoke to a cab driver who told us that places like Florence are now tourist busy almost 365 days a year. No longer the late fall and winter through spring relief from tourist season as in decades past.

Have a great trip!

Mr. Pink
10-15-2018, 06:29 PM
Our last two trips to Europe and specifically Switzerland, Austria and Italy were in late June and early July. We lucked out with good weather and spectacular views both times. Better chance to see Alpen Blumen at that time versus mid to late August. But mountain weather at any time can be variable. Was in Switzerland once in the summer and didn’t see any mountains for nearly a week due to rain. Also had good weather in Mid August in the mountains...as others have said parts of Italy can get warm in August. But hot days can lead to beautifully warm nights spent wandering around an old city and all the charms that go with it.

As a side note a few years ago we were in Florence around Christmas time and it was busy. We spoke to a cab driver who told us that places like Florence are now tourist busy almost 365 days a year. No longer the late fall and winter through spring relief from tourist season as in decades past.

Have a great trip!

Eh, don't listen to cab drivers. Xmas is busy in Italy because, Catholics. Hell, Rome is the seat of the religion, but, they're everywhere. Serious holiday, and fun, because, Catholics everywhere.
I started traveling to Europe for a period bridging Thanksgiving, before and after, because it's my birthday, and gets me away from obligatory but boring and sometimes miserable Thanksgiving dinners. It's great at that time. No lines, easy to find a good table in a restaraunt, cooler temps. I was in the Veneto, based in Verona, for all of last November, and finished it with a week in Rome. It was fine. Much better than the horror stories I hear about the summer. If it wasn't for the Chinese, Venice and Rome would be ghost towns. I never want to be in Venice in the summer.
I just booked a two week trip spanning this Thanksgiving in Andalusia. No biking, but I am going to research for the future. Much more temperate down there, average of 70s in the late fall/ early winter. I'll get back about crowds on that one, but, I'm not worried.

Plum Hill
10-15-2018, 06:35 PM
June in Locarno.

Mr. Pink
10-15-2018, 06:36 PM
Oh, and, for the OP, Dolomites in June. Somewhere in the Sella Ronda, or maybe Cortina if you want upscale (like Vail in the U.S.). Biking, both road and MTB is superb, and so is hiking. You can do your city thing in Venice. Awesome trip.

Johnnysmooth
10-15-2018, 08:53 PM
Confirm with others, target June/July as in August most of Europe is on holiday and places get crowded.

Austria is gorgeous in the Tyrol but I if I had to chose, I would go to northern Italy high up in Dolomites. Beautiful scenery, very Austrian in nature (it was part of Austria till end on WW1) but the food is far better and overall costs a tad lower. Stay overnight up high in one of the huts at the base of some huge mtn range and enjoy wonderful hiking, good food etc.

If you need more info - pm me

echelon_john
10-16-2018, 06:57 AM
Another vote for June. Great weather, tourist sites slightly less crowded.

Oh, and stay here: www.luccavacationhome.com

Cheers,
JC

fa63
10-16-2018, 07:08 AM
Having been in Europe since the beginning of June (unfortunately, leaving in a couple days), definitely the earlier time frame.

jh_on_the_cape
10-16-2018, 10:20 AM
If you want specific info for Val di Fassa/Val di Fiemme PM me.
The Giro goes through there some years.

fignon's barber
10-16-2018, 12:15 PM
We are planning our first trip to Europe next summer.
We primarily want to spend time hiking, experiencing the Alps, a few days of cycling for me, perhaps a few days in cities.
We plan to visit Switzerland, and likely either Austria or Italy or France for the second week.

The question: We have two windows for travel.
Either late June, into the first half of July.
or
the second half of August.

Any recommendations on one time window versus the other appreciated.

This would be fun:
https://trailtopeak.com/tour-du-mont-blanc/

CNY rider
10-16-2018, 12:27 PM
Another vote for June. Great weather, tourist sites slightly less crowded.

Oh, and stay here: www.luccavacationhome.com

Cheers,
JC

That's pretty spectacular.
Have you stayed there?
It seems like a lot for just my wife and I.

echelon_john
10-16-2018, 12:49 PM
Sent you a PM

That's pretty spectacular.
Have you stayed there?
It seems like a lot for just my wife and I.

mattsurf
10-17-2018, 04:33 AM
Swiss School holidays are end June to 3rd week in August. However, there are so many mountains in Switzerland that it really doesn't get too crowded. In Switzerland pretty much all shops are closed on Sundays, as are many Restaurants, however, cities like Zurich are full of people promenading

While much of Europe was overheating this Summer, temperatures in Switzerland were great from April (and they are still great). In June, July and August it was high 80's maybe just up to 90 degrees on some days.

In Late August days are becoming noticeably shorter, in Late June you can be out in daylight at 10pm

Zurich is 3 hours from Milan on the Train, perfectly feasible for a day trip or an overnight trip... alternatively, do Zurich to Lugano, then Lugano to Como, then Como to Milan and experience some incredible mountain and lake hiking

When you know more details send me a PM, we have an excellent international cycling club, where you could tag along for a 50 mile ride around some spectacular roads and scenery