PDA

View Full Version : OT: Where is the best place to sell a guitar?

ftf
10-13-2018, 01:56 PM
Other than Ebay where is the best place to sell a guitar? Are there any sites that specialized in this sort of thing?

Peter B
10-13-2018, 02:10 PM
Reverb, Harmony Central, Acoustic Guitar Forum...

rnhood
10-13-2018, 02:48 PM
I believe most dealers will take it on consignment. I would talk to the best dealer in your town, or that you are aware of (even if across the country). Otherwise, put it on one of the guitar forums. Ebay is a flea market. I seriously doubt you can get much for it there.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php

MattTuck
10-13-2018, 03:20 PM
What are you trying to sell?

Big Dan
10-13-2018, 03:42 PM
I had good luck on ebay w/ local pickup.
Ebay is 3.5 % on guitars.

ftf
10-13-2018, 04:15 PM
What are you trying to sell?

I'm thinking about selling my 2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional ocean blue.

Ebay with local pickup is a good idea, and reverb seems like a good option as well, they seem to be at least listed for more on reverb, can't seem to tell what they have actually sold for on reverb though, I found other colors but not the exact same guitar.

OtayBW
10-13-2018, 05:05 PM
Whatcha got?
If you have some higher end stuff, The Gear Page might be a good outlet.

rnhood
10-13-2018, 05:29 PM
Les Paul is a very good guitar.

echelon_john
10-13-2018, 05:54 PM
I’m in the same boat; trying to sell a Marshall JCM900 1/2 stack. Went with Reverb based on several recommendations but not a lot of action. I think Reverb might not be as good for very occasional/new sellers due to lack of feedback and harder to judge condition based on photos.

ftf
10-13-2018, 06:35 PM
Well after looking around, and reading some reviews I listed it on reverb. After I listed it now it's trying to get me to "bump" it for an extra percentage of the sale, that seems kind of cheesy to me. I guess we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the help so far.

ftf
10-13-2018, 06:36 PM
I’m in the same boat; trying to sell a Marshall JCM900 1/2 stack. Went with Reverb based on several recommendations but not a lot of action. I think Reverb might not be as good for very occasional/new sellers due to lack of feedback and harder to judge condition based on photos.

Yeah this is a good point, I have lots of feedback on ebay, and obviously none on reverb, everyones gotta start out somewhere though.

Mikej
10-13-2018, 07:14 PM
Pawn stars

sloanfiske
10-13-2018, 07:55 PM
Reverb. Be realistic about the price and it will likely sell to a better buyer there.

And cross list on eBay. With the same BIN.

And again, be realistic. Check used prices at guitar stores and deduct another 10-15% off the price.

MattTuck
10-13-2018, 08:05 PM

Ebay with local pickup is a good idea, and reverb seems like a good option as well, they seem to be at least listed for more on reverb, can't seem to tell what they have actually sold for on reverb though, I found other colors but not the exact same guitar.

Oh, that's a good guitar. too good for me to think about. Was thinking it might have been something cheap like an old mexican strat, which I might be a buyer for.

good luck selling it.

djg
10-13-2018, 11:13 PM
Sold a Collings through the acoustic guitar forum — smooth transaction, but that’s just one experience. For a commercial site, Reverb seems popular

jtbadge
10-13-2018, 11:25 PM
I’ve had great luck with Reverb. A lot of eyeballs on your listings, nice shipping discount wih UPS, less headaches than eBay.

Steve in SLO
10-13-2018, 11:42 PM
Second the Reverb recommendation. I've sold a number of acoustics there and never had a problem. Same with eBay, AGF and Unofficial Martin GF, FYI.

yonderb0y
10-15-2018, 12:07 PM

Reverb secret: do a search on whatever it is you're looking for, then add &showsold=true to the end of the full address in the browser bar. For example:

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=2015%20Gibson%20Les%20Paul%20Tra ditional%20ocean%20blue&showsold=true

ftf
10-15-2018, 12:13 PM
Reverb secret: do a search on whatever it is you're looking for, then add &showsold=true to the end of the full address in the browser bar. For example:

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=2015%20Gibson%20Les%20Paul%20Tra ditional%20ocean%20blue&showsold=true

Awesome thanks for this info.

yakstone
10-15-2018, 02:06 PM
You should list it here too. There are some guitar playing cyclists here who may have an interest.
The used guitar market is in a similar state as the used higher end cycling market at the present time, but you never know.
More eyes is not a bad thing.

ftf
10-15-2018, 05:59 PM
You should list it here too. There are some guitar playing cyclists here who may have an interest.
The used guitar market is in a similar state as the used higher end cycling market at the present time, but you never know.
More eyes is not a bad thing.

I don’t think we are allowed to list non cycling items here. I’ve had a couple of offers on it already on reverb, though a hair less than I’d like to get for it. Really the only reason I haven’t sold it in the last 48 hours is the principal of the matter. I’m sure it’ll be fine.

Jeff N.
10-15-2018, 07:44 PM
A rock concert.

defspace
10-16-2018, 12:20 PM
I don't know about your area - but there are local musician buy/sell groups.

I've had some luck moving/buying/trading stuff that way.

559Rando
10-16-2018, 12:43 PM
When I was playing In LA/Orange County I bought on sold on CL. CL for guitars is a mixed bag and I think it only worked so well there because there was a high concentration of musicians. I did a few guitar deals in DFW through CL, but had to drive to lot to do those transactions. I sold 1 guitar through CL when I lived in Portland and it flew out of my hands. In the SF Bay, I've been trying to get rid of a guitar pedal on CL for a year and no one is biting.

ojingoh
10-16-2018, 05:57 PM
When I was playing In LA/Orange County I bought on sold on CL. CL for guitars is a mixed bag and I think it only worked so well there because there was a high concentration of musicians. I did a few guitar deals in DFW through CL, but had to drive to lot to do those transactions. I sold 1 guitar through CL when I lived in Portland and it flew out of my hands. In the SF Bay, I've been trying to get rid of a guitar pedal on CL for a year and no one is biting.

CL is my go-to as well. Face to face, in cash. Ask your questions! I'm a realistic seller though, and for sure get to know the value before popping off a price.